Juana & SR's Grill (with Hype)

off-topic conversation unrelated to Jane's Addiction
Juana

Re: Juana & SR's Grill (with Hype)

#61 Post by Juana » Sun Apr 16, 2017 9:18 am

Nice that turned out awesome Hype. Today I will be making a duck, some crawfish, prawns, and we have had the brisket on since 9PM last night, so it should be a pretty good Easter.

Larry B.

#62 Post by Larry B. » Sun Apr 16, 2017 2:58 pm

Hype wrote:
Larry B. wrote:I made hamburgers last night for the first time ever.
Over the years, you and others have shared a lot of strange things, but that may be the strangest thing I've ever read on these boards. Maybe stranger than Creep not eating vegetables.

Obviously you've eaten hamburgers... maybe it's just very North American to make your own hamburgers? Like, even in a frying pan/oven?

Speaking of which, the best method I've found for hamburgers is to look for 100% ground chuck, with a fairly high fat content. If you can't get that, at least medium ground beef. Don't add anything to them, just form fairly loose, fairly thick patties. Try not to pack them too tightly. Kosher salt each side once they're on the the grill, or in a very hot frying pan. Pepper after they're cooked. :tiphat:
I mean, I had made frozen hamburgers before, obviously... but never made them from scratch.

For next time, I will try to get ground beef with a higher fat content... the only thing I could buy had 7% fat, but it wasn't nearly as dry as I thought it'd be. I'll probably make a second batch next Friday with 10% fat and all my expertise. Will post some pictures if they turn out alright.

Hype

#63 Post by Hype » Sun Apr 16, 2017 3:21 pm

:rockon: This is the burger video that changed my life:

Matz

#64 Post by Matz » Sun Apr 16, 2017 3:59 pm

clickie

#65 Post by clickie » Sun Apr 16, 2017 7:45 pm

Hype wrote:Serving the pastrami today (classic rye and mustard, with optional sauerkraut). Here are a couple of pics, since I think it turned out pretty well.

I didn't take photos of the process, but just imagine that hunk of meat in a dark brine in a fridge for a week, then in a Weber kettle for the better part of a day. Then in an oven for the rest of that day, wrapped in foil with half a beer to help it steam.

The rub is mostly black pepper and coriander.

Looks tasty. The bark on that thing is a work of art.

Hype

#66 Post by Hype » Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:32 am

It was pretty tasty! Steaming it softened the bark more than I'd have liked, but I guess that's how pastrami is supposed to be.

I've got some ribs in the freezer that need smoking, but that's a much easier project. :lol:

Juana

#67 Post by Juana » Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:08 am

Round one we ended up doing 4 sacks yesterday

Hype

#68 Post by Hype » Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:57 am

That looks amazing, but I have to admit I've never eaten crawfish. It's on my bucket-list -- the list of things I would eat out of a bucket. :nod:

Juana

#69 Post by Juana » Mon Apr 17, 2017 12:42 pm

Hype wrote:That looks amazing, but I have to admit I've never eaten crawfish. It's on my bucket-list -- the list of things I would eat out of a bucket. :nod:
I love them this is literally my favorite time of year I try to it every couple weeks during the season. We also had about 20 lbs of prawns as well. It was a nice easter.

clickie

#70 Post by clickie » Tue Apr 18, 2017 3:10 pm

Juana wrote:Image

Those look like decent size too, mostly big ones. Leftovers probably made a for a good etouffee or gumbo.

Hey Juana you ever start that catfish or tilapia farm u mentioned?

Juana

#71 Post by Juana » Tue Apr 18, 2017 3:50 pm

Yeah we started it, we have tilapia out there right now trying to get another tank for cat fish. It's also basically turning into a horse rescue.

SR

#72 Post by SR » Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:06 am

Hype wrote:Serving the pastrami today (classic rye and mustard, with optional sauerkraut). Here are a couple of pics, since I think it turned out pretty well.

I didn't take photos of the process, but just imagine that hunk of meat in a dark brine in a fridge for a week, then in a Weber kettle for the better part of a day. Then in an oven for the rest of that day, wrapped in foil with half a beer to help it steam.

The rub is mostly black pepper and coriander.
This looks fuckin amazing for a couple of reasons....first is obvious....the second is pastrami is too effin expensive; I am NOT cheap, but it almost a resentment to enjoy a sandwich :lol: ....Aight, the barks texture will congeal when it's chilled so that should have happened. But, then you need a slicer. Do you have one?....or did you use a really sharp knife and scrape? or just try for the surgical thin slice?

For me:

Cold Pastrami: Rye, Swiss, White Trash Yellow Mustard (French's) :agree: :nod: :rockon: , Pastrami
Hot Pastrami: Dirty Water Pastrami, French Roll, Dijon/Horseradish Blend

:rockon:

SR

#73 Post by SR » Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:08 am

:banghead: They're like oysters to me; I can eat them forever. Pair beautifully with Reisling

Hype

#74 Post by Hype » Wed Apr 26, 2017 6:04 pm

SR wrote:This looks fuckin amazing for a couple of reasons....first is obvious....the second is pastrami is too effin expensive; I am NOT cheap, but it almost a resentment to enjoy a sandwich :lol: ....Aight, the barks texture will congeal when it's chilled so that should have happened. But, then you need a slicer. Do you have one?....or did you use a really sharp knife and scrape? or just try for the surgical thin slice?

For me:

Cold Pastrami: Rye, Swiss, White Trash Yellow Mustard (French's) :agree: :nod: :rockon: , Pastrami
Hot Pastrami: Dirty Water Pastrami, French Roll, Dijon/Horseradish Blend

:rockon:
High praise. Thanks. You''re right. That brisket cost me $28. We saw a brined (uncooked) pastrami HALF the size for $52. But if you figure say, $2 per 100g for sliced deli pastrami... this is 200x that. The sandwiches at the Carnegie Deli are $30!

I used a VERY sharp knife and cut it fairly thick when it was hot, thin/shaved when it was cold. I admit I could have used a slicer, but it was still good.

SR

#75 Post by SR » Wed Apr 26, 2017 6:24 pm

I've gotta try that.

Spring is here....end of May has my favorite fruit coming back....white nectarines, white peaches, berries, watermelon....I'm stoked. I really didn't get into the stews and braising this winter which is odd because by our standards we actually had a winter....lots of rainy days and some relative cold.

I'll do something interesting soon. :nod:

Artemis

#76 Post by Artemis » Wed Apr 26, 2017 6:29 pm

I'm stoked about local asparagus. It's starting to come in now..

Juana

#77 Post by Juana » Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:41 pm

SR wrote:

:banghead: They're like oysters to me; I can eat them forever. Pair beautifully with Reisling
Yeah I will be doing another 4 sacks this Sunday since prices are dropping even more. They're down to $1.69 a lb where I get them from. Also I agree I can live on them and oysters and be perfectly content with that.

What sucks is so many people talk about how they love the mud bugs and then they eat like 10 total, I mean great more for me but still don't talk a big game when someone is planning on buying 4 sacks and not eat even a pound nor take any home with you. :banghead:

SR

#78 Post by SR » Thu Apr 27, 2017 6:54 am

10 :lolol:

kv

#79 Post by kv » Thu Apr 27, 2017 1:56 pm

I get small appetites but ya wtf wouldn't you take some to go?

Juana

#80 Post by Juana » Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:17 pm

kv wrote:I get small appetites but ya wtf wouldn't you take some to go?
Dude I don't even know its not like I do what some people do around here and charge a buy in and I usually get a keg and some bottles as well... fucking baffling.

Juana

#81 Post by Juana » Sun Jul 02, 2017 3:26 pm

Got my hands on a side of Omi beef... pics to come :rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon:

Mescal

#82 Post by Mescal » Sat Oct 14, 2017 1:37 am

OK guys, need your help.

There's a nice weekend coming up, invited some friends, bought some wine and two chickens.

So, I'm going for the chicken on a beer can thing.

What's the best way to prepare it, what rub to use, what do I put inside the can, what side dish do I serve etc ....

Too many info on the internets so I thought I'd ask some experienced grillers ...

Juana

#83 Post by Juana » Sat Oct 14, 2017 1:55 am

Mescal wrote:OK guys, need your help.

There's a nice weekend coming up, invited some friends, bought some wine and two chickens.

So, I'm going for the chicken on a beer can thing.

What's the best way to prepare it, what rub to use, what do I put inside the can, what side dish do I serve etc ....

Too many info on the internets so I thought I'd ask some experienced grillers ...
I would braise one and then if you're beer canning the other one it really depends on the beers you like (as we all have different tastes). As for rubs this is my go to for chicken:

Salt
Pepper
A little lime juice (I'm weird like that)
Ground mustard
Ancho
Touch of cayenne

I don't have specific parts for you as I just throw shit around until it "looks good"

For braising a chicken I use Guinness on a bed of potatoes, simple but hits the spot with a similar rub but I sub in brown sugar for cayenne

Sides all depend on your crowd but some baked mac n cheese is usually a hit, I can't too crazy here since a lot of people like meat and potatoes

Mescal

#84 Post by Mescal » Sat Oct 14, 2017 2:02 am

Thanks for the input.

Do you use wood chips, meaning, do you smoke chicken on a beercan?

Juana

#85 Post by Juana » Sat Oct 14, 2017 2:49 am

Mescal wrote:Thanks for the input.

Do you use wood chips, meaning, do you smoke chicken on a beercan?
What type of rig are you running? I ask because if its a coal grill I use both coal and chips I soak the chips about 4-5 hours before pull and dry them then get the coals to about 260 or so after they grey. On a gas grill you pick your temp but I would throw some oak or hickory in there