Juana & SR's Grill (with Hype)

off-topic conversation unrelated to Jane's Addiction
Artemis

Re: Juana & SR's Grill (with Hype)

#76 Post by Artemis » Wed Apr 26, 2017 6:29 pm

I'm stoked about local asparagus. It's starting to come in now..

Juana

#77 Post by Juana » Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:41 pm

SR wrote:
Juana wrote:Image

Round one we ended up doing 4 sacks yesterday
:banghead: They're like oysters to me; I can eat them forever. Pair beautifully with Reisling
Yeah I will be doing another 4 sacks this Sunday since prices are dropping even more. They're down to $1.69 a lb where I get them from. Also I agree I can live on them and oysters and be perfectly content with that.

What sucks is so many people talk about how they love the mud bugs and then they eat like 10 total, I mean great more for me but still don't talk a big game when someone is planning on buying 4 sacks and not eat even a pound nor take any home with you. :banghead:

SR

#78 Post by SR » Thu Apr 27, 2017 6:54 am

10 :lolol:

kv

#79 Post by kv » Thu Apr 27, 2017 1:56 pm

I get small appetites but ya wtf wouldn't you take some to go?

Juana

#80 Post by Juana » Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:17 pm

kv wrote:I get small appetites but ya wtf wouldn't you take some to go?
Dude I don't even know its not like I do what some people do around here and charge a buy in and I usually get a keg and some bottles as well... fucking baffling.

Juana

#81 Post by Juana » Sun Jul 02, 2017 3:26 pm

Got my hands on a side of Omi beef... pics to come :rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon:

Mescal

#82 Post by Mescal » Sat Oct 14, 2017 1:37 am

OK guys, need your help.

There's a nice weekend coming up, invited some friends, bought some wine and two chickens.

So, I'm going for the chicken on a beer can thing.

What's the best way to prepare it, what rub to use, what do I put inside the can, what side dish do I serve etc ....

Too many info on the internets so I thought I'd ask some experienced grillers ...

Juana

#83 Post by Juana » Sat Oct 14, 2017 1:55 am

Mescal wrote:OK guys, need your help.

There's a nice weekend coming up, invited some friends, bought some wine and two chickens.

So, I'm going for the chicken on a beer can thing.

What's the best way to prepare it, what rub to use, what do I put inside the can, what side dish do I serve etc ....

Too many info on the internets so I thought I'd ask some experienced grillers ...
I would braise one and then if you're beer canning the other one it really depends on the beers you like (as we all have different tastes). As for rubs this is my go to for chicken:

Salt
Pepper
A little lime juice (I'm weird like that)
Ground mustard
Ancho
Touch of cayenne

I don't have specific parts for you as I just throw shit around until it "looks good"

For braising a chicken I use Guinness on a bed of potatoes, simple but hits the spot with a similar rub but I sub in brown sugar for cayenne

Sides all depend on your crowd but some baked mac n cheese is usually a hit, I can't too crazy here since a lot of people like meat and potatoes

Mescal

#84 Post by Mescal » Sat Oct 14, 2017 2:02 am

Thanks for the input.

Do you use wood chips, meaning, do you smoke chicken on a beercan?

Juana

#85 Post by Juana » Sat Oct 14, 2017 2:49 am

Mescal wrote:Thanks for the input.

What type of rig are you running? I ask because if its a coal grill I use both coal and chips I soak the chips about 4-5 hours before pull and dry them then get the coals to about 260 or so after they grey. On a gas grill you pick your temp but I would throw some oak or hickory in there

Hokahey
Site Admin

#86 Post by Hokahey » Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:44 am

Juana wrote:
Mescal wrote:Thanks for the input.

What type of rig are you running? I ask because if its a coal grill I use both coal and chips I soak the chips about 4-5 hours before pull and dry them then get the coals to about 260 or so after they grey. On a gas grill you pick your temp but I would throw some oak or hickory in there
I had no idea we had a grilling thread.

Never soak your wood chips. Wrap them in foil and poke a few holes.

Hype

#87 Post by Hype » Sat Oct 14, 2017 3:43 pm

Hoka's right. Soaking does nothing. I'm partial to using chunks of wood rather than chips because you can let the white smoke burn off and avoid some of the harsh/creosote.

For beer can chicken, man... you could go all kinds of ways with that. I like simple rubs for chicken. Nothing fancy. You could use salt, pepper, garlic, maybe a little bit of oregano and thyme, lemon/lime rind and juice, honey, orange peel... cayenne. Old Bay. Sometimes I'll just rub the whole thing in Lawry's seasoning salt and that's it.

I agree with Guinness. But my preference would be an American Pale Ale or an Amber (you get the sweet malty stuff from this, which is great if your rub has some pepper/chili in it).

I wouldn't fiddle with it. I'd just set it up low and slow with a thermometer in, and it's done when it hits 165F.

Juana

#88 Post by Juana » Sat Oct 14, 2017 9:27 pm

Hype wrote:Hoka's right. Soaking does nothing. I'm partial to using chunks of wood rather than chips because you can let the white smoke burn off and avoid some of the harsh/creosote.

For beer can chicken, man... you could go all kinds of ways with that. I like simple rubs for chicken. Nothing fancy. You could use salt, pepper, garlic, maybe a little bit of oregano and thyme, lemon/lime rind and juice, honey, orange peel... cayenne. Old Bay. Sometimes I'll just rub the whole thing in Lawry's seasoning salt and that's it.

I agree with Guinness. But my preference would be an American Pale Ale or an Amber (you get the sweet malty stuff from this, which is great if your rub has some pepper/chili in it).

I wouldn't fiddle with it. I'd just set it up low and slow with a thermometer in, and it's done when it hits 165F.
Depends on what you're cooking. Brisket you never soak. Chicken you can soak them and the skin (which I do not eat anyway) soaks up most of that liquid smoke. The wrapping them in foil is good but only after they've been drained. But y'all can argue with Mixon, Mueller, Franklin when it comes to smoking / beer canning a chicken.

Hokahey
Site Admin

#89 Post by Hokahey » Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:15 pm

My last smoked beer can chicken.

Juana

#90 Post by Juana » Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:19 pm

Hokahey wrote:Image

My last smoked beer can chicken.
Nice, I usually only smoke briskets, ribs, or pork butts. Chicken I usually roast.

Hype

#91 Post by Hype » Sun Oct 15, 2017 12:53 pm

I guess I subscribe to the school of Meathead when it comes to technique. He's got a good article on soaking wood:
http://amazingribs.com/tips_and_techniq ... _wood.html

My comment above was based on this claim, which I've tested and can confirm is totally true:
One more reason not to soak: Not all smoke is the same. The best tasting smoke is practically invisible, thin, and pale blue. Blue smoke is better than white, gray, or black, by far. Blue smoke needs dry wood and a hot fire, lots of oxygen and flame. Some people complain that their chips catch on fire when they throw them on the coals. To prevent this they make a smoke packet by wrapping the wood in foil and poking holes in the foil. Don't bother. Let the wood burn! That's how you get blue smoke!
All of that said, I admit that there is both science and art in BBQ. Which is really why I like it. Sometimes there are reasons to do things the "wrong" way, or a traditional way (even if it's not "right"), and there are so many regional disagreements about how to do pretty much everything, and how it should turn out: wet brining, dry brining, wrapping, how much seasoning, what to put in the rub, whether specific woods impart specific flavours or not..

I think a lot of the fun is trying out all kinds of ways and then settling on your own way, regardless of what anyone else says.

But that doesn't mean there won't be facts of the matter about what a technique actually does or doesn't do.

Juana

#92 Post by Juana » Sun Oct 15, 2017 2:16 pm

Oh I agree there, like I said when I do soak (as I mentioned depends on what I'm cooking and which pit I'm using, if its the NB smoker I use nothing but chunks of wood, where as a BBQ grill I will add chips) I do dry them out and wrap them. The funny thing about grilling and BBQ in general is like you said there are many ways to get results. In this area I can pretty much go to Kruez, Smitty's, Black's, and the coolest thing is those pit masters will actually all say something different in their approach which is wild to me. I've been picking up things here and there especially since moving to this area.

Juana

#93 Post by Juana » Sun Oct 15, 2017 2:21 pm

This is my smaller smoker and I use all solid wood in this

clickie

#94 Post by clickie » Sun Oct 15, 2017 2:26 pm

Spooky

Hype

#95 Post by Hype » Sun Oct 15, 2017 3:15 pm

One of my mid-term goals in life is to own a decent offset smoker. I've been making the most of a 22.5" Weber kettle, and people are usually pretty surprised how versatile it is, but I'd love to have a smoker I don't have to fight with as much when conditions aren't perfect.

How do you feel about kamados? (My own feeling is they're way too expensive for their size and versatility.)

Juana

#96 Post by Juana » Sun Oct 15, 2017 3:36 pm

I've never personally used one, but that said I agree for the price you can get something that has more uses. The only benefit I could see is if you're super limited on space but like you said that Weber does the job and you can use it for other things aside from smoking.

Mescal

#97 Post by Mescal » Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:07 am

Before:

Mescal

#98 Post by Mescal » Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:10 am

Don't know why tinypic puts the picture on the side. But too lazy to figure out how to put it straight.

Anyway.

I used two different types of rubs. One with garlic and oregano, the other with pretty much all the spices I had (paprika, cumin, mustard seed, coriander seed, chili pepper, etc ...)

Smoked it a bit, and I soaked the chis beforehand.

I also put some spices (and beer) in the can

Mescal

#99 Post by Mescal » Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:10 am

After

Artemis

#100 Post by Artemis » Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:19 am

Mescal, your chickens look fantastic! I hope they were as delicious as they look...yum!