What made your day today?

off-topic conversation unrelated to Jane's Addiction
SR

Re: What made your day today?

#3321 Post by SR » Sat Feb 21, 2015 7:51 am

cricket_bows wrote:
shocking twins.jpg
I want. Those are very cool....perfect doodad for an old Janes fan. Where did you get them??

perkana

#3322 Post by perkana » Sat Feb 21, 2015 8:30 pm

cricket_bows wrote:
shocking twins.jpg
Did you say beard board? :tiphat: :heart:

Crater- that Kælan Mikla is absolutely FANTASTIC! Reminds me a bit of an all-female Jane's Addiction; a lot of comments on their videos about it being simplistic musically, but I love it. Thanks for the share.

perkana wrote:Just found a beard board!
Going to lurk on it, only...
I LOVE your beard!! :heart:

cricket_bows

#3323 Post by cricket_bows » Sun Feb 22, 2015 11:28 am

:yeay: :love: most women (in general) aren't down with facial follicles; one Perkana approval > all the haters!

Thanks, SR. I tell ya, this board has been an absolute salvation for people who knew the power and majesty of what once was; for it to go out with a whimper is such an antithesis of the original spirit, and such a bummer.

Squee had started a thread about her journey to Jane's (which she didn't finish, unfortunately- I LOVE to hear how people came to the band); might as well do a tl;dr with mine.

In 1988 I was doing a three-month internship at a commune in Virginia, and had stopped into the Charlottesville library to kill time. What does someone do when surrounded by classics? Pick up Rolling Stone, of course! Until that point, I'd always been into Zeppelin, and hadn't heard of the mighty JA, but I came across this Image image and was transfixed. I continued reading the magazine, but kept flipping back to that picture. I hadn't heard the music, but I KNEW I was going to love it.

Seven months later, in Boulder, Colorado (3/17/89), I was proven right. It wasn't really that I had my mind blown, but more that I was seeing something that I always knew could be done: the theatrics, the intensity, the unpredictability, the sonic attack, blended with intelligence. I became obsessed, and rather than collecting recordings, focused on memorabilia and clippings. Being a complete putz, I wrote every scribe on the first Lollapalooza tour and had them send me their reviews (remember kids, this was before teh interwebz), which I lovingly cut out and still have in all their yellowing glory.

Saw them four more times (12/14/90 [San Francisco], 12/15/90 [San Jose], 5/3/91[Springfield, MA, with my sister, who said, "I feel like I'm watching the evolution of music, like seeing the Beatles" I don't think she was that far off], and the Lolla tour in Denver [8/25/91]), and always left with goosebumps, inspired, wanting something more for myself. Hard to capture exactly how it impacted me, reaching back through time and all the recent (jeezus; Strays is gonna be 15 years old in July?) dreck that they've done.

Oh. The statues, right. I could kick myself now, as I bought them from Recordmecca even after they ruined their legacy (five years ago? ten?), but they were listed as the prototype/model for the twins on the cover of NS (obvs), and I figured they'd have Perry's initials or some kind of identifying markings on them, to cement it's value. No dice. The statue is super heavy, but I have no idea who actually made it. It is the one on the cover of Up From The Catacombs, but not worth the-- GULP-- $400? $500? I paid for it. I just pretend nothing happened post-'91 and it makes me feel better. Sort of.

But everyone on ANR: the humor, the eloquence, the intelligence... it's greatly appreciated and nice to be able to commiserate with people who were touched like I was, who knew of the greatness.

Shit, that was so long, even I didn't read it.

Peace.
perkana wrote:
cricket_bows wrote:
shocking twins.jpg

Crater- that Kælan Mikla is absolutely FANTASTIC! Reminds me a bit of an all-female Jane's Addiction; a lot of comments on their videos about it being simplistic musically, but I love it. Thanks for the share.

mockbee

#3324 Post by mockbee » Sun Feb 22, 2015 11:46 am

cricket_bows wrote::yeay: :love: most women (in general) aren't down with facial follicles; one Perkana approval > all the haters!

Thanks, SR. I tell ya, this board has been an absolute salvation for people who knew the power and majesty of what once was; for it to go out with a whimper is such an antithesis of the original spirit, and such a bummer.

Squee had started a thread about her journey to Jane's (which she didn't finish, unfortunately- I LOVE to hear how people came to the band); might as well do a tl;dr with mine.

In 1988 I was doing a three-month internship at a commune in Virginia, and had stopped into the Charlottesville library to kill time. What does someone do when surrounded by classics? Pick up Rolling Stone, of course! Until that point, I'd always been into Zeppelin, and hadn't heard of the mighty JA, but I came across this Image image and was transfixed. I continued reading the magazine, but kept flipping back to that picture. I hadn't heard the music, but I KNEW I was going to love it.

Seven months later, in Boulder, Colorado (3/17/89), I was proven right. It wasn't really that I had my mind blown, but more that I was seeing something that I always knew could be done: the theatrics, the intensity, the unpredictability, the sonic attack, blended with intelligence. I became obsessed, and rather than collecting recordings, focused on memorabilia and clippings. Being a complete putz, I wrote every scribe on the first Lollapalooza tour and had them send me their reviews (remember kids, this was before teh interwebz), which I lovingly cut out and still have in all their yellowing glory.

Saw them four more times (12/14/90 [San Francisco], 12/15/90 [San Jose], 5/3/91[Springfield, MA, with my sister, who said, "I feel like I'm watching the evolution of music, like seeing the Beatles" I don't think she was that far off], and the Lolla tour in Denver [8/25/91]), and always left with goosebumps, inspired, wanting something more for myself. Hard to capture exactly how it impacted me, reaching back through time and all the recent (jeezus; Strays is gonna be 15 years old in July?) dreck that they've done.

Oh. The statues, right. I could kick myself now, as I bought them from Recordmecca even after they ruined their legacy (five years ago? ten?), but they were listed as the prototype/model for the twins on the cover of NS (obvs), and I figured they'd have Perry's initials or some kind of identifying markings on them, to cement it's value. No dice. The statue is super heavy, but I have no idea who actually made it. It is the one on the cover of Up From The Catacombs, but not worth the-- GULP-- $400? $500? I paid for it. I just pretend nothing happened post-'91 and it makes me feel better. Sort of.

But everyone on ANR: the humor, the eloquence, the intelligence... it's greatly appreciated and nice to be able to commiserate with people who were touched like I was, who knew of the greatness.

Peace.
Why do we need to apologize for saying something true and interesting? :hs:

It's stuff like what you wrote that is actually interesting about people, not the shit they think about other random crap.

:wave:

SR

#3325 Post by SR » Sun Feb 22, 2015 11:50 am

cricket_bows wrote::yeay: :love: most women (in general) aren't down with facial follicles; one Perkana approval > all the haters!

Peace.
perkana wrote:
cricket_bows wrote:
shocking twins.jpg

Thanks for that, for real. Nicest, piercing and most eloquent post in a while and in the spirit of 1.0. :tiphat:

cricket_bows

#3326 Post by cricket_bows » Sun Feb 22, 2015 12:39 pm

add den dumb:

http://recordmecca.com/item-archives/ja ... sculpture/

Hey! At least I got a copy of 'Catacombs' along with the statue for my five hundo.

Thanks for the nice comments, Mockabee and SR.

perkana

#3327 Post by perkana » Sun Feb 22, 2015 2:00 pm

I'm a 'redhead' now
And I agree, great story. It really makes me proud of being part of this community.
Attachments
received_10155407165750727.jpeg
received_10155407165750727.jpeg (48.21 KiB) Viewed 6216 times

cricket_bows

#3328 Post by cricket_bows » Sun Feb 22, 2015 2:35 pm

painted pepper sunlight. ::swoon::

mockbee

#3329 Post by mockbee » Sun Feb 22, 2015 2:44 pm

perkana wrote:I'm a 'redhead' now
And I agree, great story. It really makes me proud of being part of this community.
I have a question for you Perk, was your enire family Distrito Federal residents from way back, or is there more recent foreign or country lineage in there? You don't have to answer, just you seem pretty open about that stuff.

btw - I love Mexico City. I would go again in a heartbeat. It's got a lot going on, and the people were great.

nice hair!
:rockon:

perkana

#3330 Post by perkana » Sun Feb 22, 2015 4:34 pm

Actually, my parents come from another state (San Luis Potosí). My sister and I were born here. Well, I guess there's a lot of blood mix in my family. Guess it's due to being colonized and stuff. Some of my family members have light color eyes (blue or green), but most of us have brown/dark brown eyes. I'm quite of the few who fortunately got freckles (got them from my greatgrandmother). You're not the first one who's pointed out that I look like I come from somewhere other than Mexico. I've been mistaken for a Turk, Cuban, Spanish and other nationalities.
And thanks!
You should definitely come back!

mockbee

#3331 Post by mockbee » Sun Feb 22, 2015 4:40 pm

perkana wrote:Actually, my parents come from another state (San Luis Potosí). My sister and I were born here. Well, I guess there's a lot of blood mix in my family. Guess it's due to being colonized and stuff. Some of my family members have light color eyes (blue or green), but most of us have brown/dark brown eyes. I'm quite of the few who fortunately got freckles (got them from my greatgrandmother). You're not the first one who's pointed out that I look like I come from somewhere other than Mexico. I've been mistaken for a Turk, Cuban, Spanish and other nationalities.
And thanks!
You should definitely come back!
No, I had no doubt your entire family could be from Mexico, I am aware of the strong lineages of Spanish from way way back around D.F., just didn't know if that applied to you.

Thanks for your candor, I love learning about people and where they come from, just sometimes it can understandably be a touchy subject.

I will let you know if I ever make it back there!

:wave:

perkana

#3332 Post by perkana » Sun Feb 22, 2015 5:02 pm

It's not touchy for me at all, I'm very proud of where I come from. Though, if you ask me, there are a lot of people in Mexico who are obsessed with having Spanish relatives or becoming Spanish.
At least for me and my family that is not important.

mockbee

#3333 Post by mockbee » Sun Feb 22, 2015 5:21 pm

perkana wrote: Though, if you ask me, there are a lot of people in Mexico who are obsessed with having Spanish relatives or becoming Spanish.
At least for me and my family that is not important.
Now that is fascinating to me. That's the kind of thing that you only guess as, living in another country.

I mean it makes sense, due to our dumb-ass Western-centric world, and of course the US (or America :hehe: :wink: ) has it's share of racial problems and strife.

That phenomenon you are talking about, I am coming to find, is so, so prevalent around the world. I mean of course one could infer, but to see and hear stories like that is something all together different.

MYXYLPLYX

#3334 Post by MYXYLPLYX » Sun Feb 22, 2015 11:15 pm

Dang, I hate to be that guy who goes overboard when a girl posts a pic, but Perkana, you look really beautiful there! :bigrin:

Of course, you've posted plenty of pics in the past establishing that you are attractive, but something about that one is next level for me.

Okay, sorry to go on for a moment and hopefully didn't make anything weird... :scared:

Warped

#3335 Post by Warped » Mon Feb 23, 2015 5:08 am

cricket_bows wrote:
shocking twins.jpg

I have no problem with beards too, i dig them :thumb:

And perkana is really pretty, the red hair is very cool and fitting.

Oh and what made my day is being pretty fucking exhausted after hard work at the gym...its a really good feeling. :thumb:

perkana

#3336 Post by perkana » Mon Feb 23, 2015 7:11 am

Thank you guys! I've always liked red hair but I never had the guts to go for it. It feels great :bigrin:
And definitely beards are great. I think the Oscars show made it more bearable for me because of all the cool beards :cool:

mockbee

#3337 Post by mockbee » Tue Feb 24, 2015 2:51 am

perkana wrote:It's not touchy for me at all, I'm very proud of where I come from.

Wow, you should be very proud of where you come from. What an amazing place San Luis Potosí is, I never knew. I am especially fascinated by the Otomi peoples, and I would love to visit the Sierra Madre Oriental and then over to Veracruz someday.
Veracruz probably mostly because of warren though. Soooooooooo beautiful. :nyrexall: :rockon:

Do people travel without fear in San Luis Potosi?

Oh, and +10..... you look perfect. :bigrin:

perkana

#3338 Post by perkana » Tue Feb 24, 2015 8:59 am

It's pretty safe going to San Luis. I go there whenever I'm on holidays.

I've been to la Huasteca only once. And it was freezing, so I have to go back.

The only town I've visited in Veracruz has been Jalapa. I still have to see more.

mockbee

#3339 Post by mockbee » Tue Feb 24, 2015 10:41 am

La Huasteca looks fantastic! I especially love the color of the water and the caves. And it looks like they have great culture there as well. :thumb:

That has definitely made my day. :nod:

Do they have cenotes there like in the Yucatán?
I remember that being one of the most surreal places I've been swimming, and loved exploring around Calakmul and Xpuhil, felt like we uncovered them ourselves because it was so out there. :rockon:

perkana

#3340 Post by perkana » Tue Feb 24, 2015 1:27 pm

No cenotes but this underground cave (I'm not into free falling, but it does look amazing)

And my favorite part was Xilitla, a very surreal place in the jungle.

guysmiley

#3341 Post by guysmiley » Tue Feb 24, 2015 2:03 pm

Perkana, that is one of the best pictures of you. You look bad-ass. Yes, western "looks" seem to influence a lot all over the world. In fact, it turns me off. Because, there is beauty in all people, and cultures I married a girl not from American and not from my culture, because I loved her, and because I hated how everyone in my college was striving to be the same if they were from my country. Race didn't matter, out-looks and culture made a bigger difference. People are ugly and beautiful everywhere. I swear love could solve the worlds problems. There are gorgeous people in this world, looking for love all over. We all, deep down want the same happiness. I'm glad I found some thousands of miles away. :banana: :rockon:

Warped

#3342 Post by Warped » Thu Feb 26, 2015 12:07 am

Bayer 04 Leverkusen 1:0 win over Atletico Madrid with one awesome goal from Hakan Calhanoglu :rockon: :rockon: :rockon:

mockbee

#3343 Post by mockbee » Thu Feb 26, 2015 4:04 pm

My geotech, along with a principal geologist, did another walkthrough of the site I recently acquired, doing some additional hand-auger test pits and came back with much more encouraging news.

The long of the short is that (1) there is no landslide risk (only risk of boulders prying loose and careening into the house :lol: ), but that doesn't require an independent diversion retaining wall ($$$$$$), just some wire mesh retainage ($$) and (2) there are no lateral pressures in the soil that would require very expensive tie-backs for the foundation. Still haven't found bedrock after drilling 18', but that was expected.

Whoooo-hoooooooo! :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

perkana

#3344 Post by perkana » Thu Mar 05, 2015 12:51 pm

binaural sound recordings...I could listen to this to relax.

Another one I thought was pretty cool

perkana

#3345 Post by perkana » Fri Mar 06, 2015 7:40 am

I'm so glad Harrison Ford didn't die. Was watching this video from abc. I can't tell what's the reporterr's accent.
http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/har ... 434851&cid