Worst/Best Hit Songs to Represent a Band

off-topic conversation unrelated to Jane's Addiction
nausearockpig

Re: Worst/Best Hit Songs to Represent a Band

#21 Post by nausearockpig » Thu Jun 08, 2017 5:43 am

Bandit72 wrote:Is this a weird question.

Has anybody ever listened to/ watched a band for a period of time that they really don't like? And although you may still not like them, or the music, you've found the whole experience very interesting and worthwhile?
Pentagram. Terrible metal band \m/. Or excellent metal band, depending on your taste. Check out the doco on them. Very interesting.

JOEinPHX

#22 Post by JOEinPHX » Thu Jun 08, 2017 9:44 am

Has anybody ever listened to/ watched a band for a period of time that they really don't like? And although you may still not like them, or the music, you've found the whole experience very interesting and worthwhile?
Not so much a band, but there have been songs by bands where I say to myself "This is clearly terrible, so why am I enjoying this?"

Bandit72

#23 Post by Bandit72 » Fri Jun 09, 2017 2:31 am

Six7Six7 wrote:

Not so much a band, but there have been songs by bands where I say to myself "This is clearly terrible, so why am I enjoying this?"
Yeh, I've had this with the band Oasis very recently.

blackcoffee

#24 Post by blackcoffee » Fri Jun 09, 2017 10:11 am

Bandit72 wrote:
Six7Six7 wrote:

Yeh, I've had this with the band Oasis very recently.
Same for me with Oasis. In my mind, they're like STP. They represent a genre/time-period, but are facsimiles of better, original bands. But I will listen to both STP and Oasis in a "guilty pleasure" kind of way. And it's probably about the lyrics. Neither band was saying anything at all.

Bandit72

#25 Post by Bandit72 » Fri Jun 09, 2017 2:39 pm

Do you know what? 'Guilty pleasure' is bang on. I remember 1994/1995 very well. I had had my fill of the greatest UK 'Indie' bands by then, and I knew in my mind that that was it. I hated Oasis when they appeared. Hated them. And do you know what? It was probably more to do with what they were and what they liked more than the music they made. But it's only now I can get past that thought. I actually really like some of the songs Noel wrote and in a way, I'm glad that's happened now and not 20 odd years ago. Weird.

erotic cheeses

#26 Post by erotic cheeses » Fri Jun 09, 2017 4:20 pm

Bandit72 wrote:Do you know what? 'Guilty pleasure' is bang on. I remember 1994/1995 very well. I had had my fill of the greatest UK 'Indie' bands by then, and I knew in my mind that that was it. I hated Oasis when they appeared. Hated them. And do you know what? It was probably more to do with what they were and what they liked more than the music they made. But it's only now I can get past that thought. I actually really like some of the songs Noel wrote and in a way, I'm glad that's happened now and not 20 odd years ago. Weird.
troo dat

JOEinPHX

#27 Post by JOEinPHX » Sat Jun 10, 2017 12:51 pm

I love Oasis and STP.

They aren't any different from PJ, Soundgarden, AIC, or Nirvana in that they sounded EXACTLY like their influences.

Oasis first 3 albums, and STP's 2nd and 3rd albums are better than anything Nirvana ever did.

kv

#28 Post by kv » Sat Jun 10, 2017 1:19 pm

In YOUR view

JOEinPHX

#29 Post by JOEinPHX » Mon Jun 12, 2017 4:29 pm

Nope, scientific fact.

Hype

#30 Post by Hype » Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:32 am

In all the years Six7 has posted stuff like this, I've never been able to tell when he's trolling and when he is being totally serious and really believes what he writes. I still can't.

kv

#31 Post by kv » Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:00 pm

First post: real
Second post: troll (pic made me laugh)

He plays a good game, keeps it fun :bday:

parklife03

#32 Post by parklife03 » Tue Jun 13, 2017 2:01 pm

Worst: The Cure - Friday I'm in Love
Best: Iron Maiden - The Trooper