Math can be intimidating, but ...

off-topic conversation unrelated to Jane's Addiction
chaos

Math can be intimidating, but ...

#1 Post by chaos » Mon May 09, 2016 8:59 am

Warning: Don't write math equations in public!
http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/2016/05 ... 26917&_r=0

Professor's Airplane Math Didn't Equal Airplane Threat
By THE ASSOCIATED PRESSMAY 7, 2016, 1:57 P.M. E.D.T.

PHILADELPHIA — An Ivy League professor said his flight was delayed because a fellow passenger thought the math equations he was writing might be a sign he was a terrorist.

American Airlines confirms that the woman expressed suspicions about University of Pennsylvania economics professor Guido Menzio. She said she was too ill to take the Air Wisconsin-operated flight.

Menzio said he was flying from Philadelphia to Syracuse on Thursday night and was solving a differential equation related to a speech he was set to give at Queen's University in Ontario, Canada. He said the woman sitting next to him passed a note to a flight attendant and the plane headed back to the gate. Menzio, who is Italian and has curly, dark hair, said the pilot then asked for a word and he was questioned by an official.

"I thought they were trying to get clues about her illness," he told The Associated Press in an email. "Instead, they tell me that the woman was concerned that I was a terrorist because I was writing strage things on a pad of paper." :dunce: :lol:

Menzio said he explained what he had been doing and the flight took off soon afterward. He was treated respectfully throughout, he added. But, he said, he was concerned about a delay that a brief conversation or an Internet search could have resolved.

"Not seeking additional information after reports of 'suspicious activity' ... is going to create a lot of emerging," he said.

American spokesman Casey Norton said the Air Wisconsin crew followed protocol to take care of an ill passenger and then to investigate her allegations. Norton wouldn't specify the details of the allegations, but said officials determined them to be non-credible. The woman was rebooked on a later flight.

mockbee

Re: Math can be intimidating, but ...

#2 Post by mockbee » Mon May 09, 2016 9:10 am

Trump will fix it!

:noclue:

perkana

#3 Post by perkana » Mon May 09, 2016 11:12 am

I traveled recently to the US and everywhere at the airport (Dulles in D.C.) there were tons of warnings about suspicious behavior. That you should report it, I think it got worse after the attack to the airport in Brussels. I would have fined the woman, though.

creep
Site Admin

#4 Post by creep » Mon May 09, 2016 4:12 pm

chaos wrote: solving a differential equation
uggg...that brings back bad memories. i would have reported him too. fuck differential equations. :balls:

Hype

#5 Post by Hype » Wed May 11, 2016 2:41 pm

"Let Insh'allah be equal to X.
Jihad for Y as Civilization goes to 0."

:confused: