RIP Bowie

off-topic conversation unrelated to Jane's Addiction
Bandit72

RIP Bowie

#1 Post by Bandit72 » Sun Jan 10, 2016 11:57 pm

I can see more and more of these RIP threads. This seems to be the era of losing great musicians we grew up with. Sad news.

Jasper

Re: RIP Bowie

#2 Post by Jasper » Mon Jan 11, 2016 12:54 am

Speechless

nausearockpig

#3 Post by nausearockpig » Mon Jan 11, 2016 1:11 am

Wow. Fuck. What a trooper for keeping his illness out of the limelight.

R.I.P.

Artemis

#4 Post by Artemis » Mon Jan 11, 2016 1:13 am

I can't believe it. :nyrexall:

The epitome of cool up to the end.

Truly one of a kind and a genius.

Larry B.

#5 Post by Larry B. » Mon Jan 11, 2016 1:31 am

Absolute legend. I'd like to thank this bored and Artemis in particular for inadvertently pushing me towards Bowie, whom my young-self had just discarded for no apparent reason. I managed to enjoy a couple of years listening to his discography before his death.

So he probably recorded this album knowing it was going to be his last. And he left us this gem as his last track.

A sad day.
"I Can't Give Everything Away"

I know something is very wrong
The pulse returns for prodigal sons
The blackout's hearts with flowered news
With skull designs upon my shoes

I can't give everything
I can't give everything
Away
I can't give everything
Away

Seeing more and feeling less
Saying no but meaning yes
This is all I ever meant
That's the message that I sent

I can't give everything
I can't give everything
Away
I can't give everything
Away

Matz

#6 Post by Matz » Mon Jan 11, 2016 3:20 am

OMG! :nyrexall: so sad

Hype

#7 Post by Hype » Mon Jan 11, 2016 6:09 am

I grew up with Bowie. My parents saw him live when I was a kid. I never managed to catch him. I remember when he released the album Heathen. It didn't really work for me, and at the time Bowie said: "I'm pretty much a realist. There's a certain age you get to when you're not really going to be shown [on TV] anymore. The young have to kill the old. ... That's how life works. ... It's how culture works."

He's right, but I wish we could have waited a little longer for this one.

crater

#8 Post by crater » Mon Jan 11, 2016 6:27 am

I enjoyed his work, but wasn't a huge fan or anything. My ex-girlfriend was and thanks to her I became more acquainted with his music than I think I would have otherwise. I bought us tickets to see him when he toured with NIN, which we saw a day after her birthday on Oct. 21. 1995.

Good show. Good times.

Respect to him.

thoreau

#9 Post by thoreau » Mon Jan 11, 2016 6:56 am

Ridiculously sad news.

I got "Blackstar" in the mail on Friday and have been listening to it all weekend. Aside from being an excellent album, how poignant the lyrics are now, considering his last 18 months.

guysmiley

#10 Post by guysmiley » Mon Jan 11, 2016 8:33 am

Damn rough few weeks. Seems like all my heros are dropping like flies. :sad:

Romeo

#11 Post by Romeo » Mon Jan 11, 2016 8:39 am

Absolutely gutted. :nyrexall:

I've heard a rumor from Ground Control
Oh no, don't say it's true

JOEinPHX

#12 Post by JOEinPHX » Mon Jan 11, 2016 11:50 am

God damn it.

It's just not right to be living on the planet without him.

Pandemonium

#13 Post by Pandemonium » Mon Jan 11, 2016 4:14 pm

Some further details coming out today...

Apparently Bowie's cancer started out as Lung cancer (no shock, he was a long time heavy smoker) and metastasized into liver cancer.

Bowie apparently suffered several more heart attacks, likely within the past two years while being treated for cancer.

There are 5 more finished songs from the Black Star sessions that will likely see some sort of release in the near future. While he kept his illness a closely guarded secret, his producer Tony Visconti knew the Black Star album would be Bowie's last album.

He was corresponding with Brian Eno to work on a follow-up album to their last collaboration, "Outside." The last e-mail Eno received only 7 days ago, included the final line "Thank you for our good times, brian. they will never rot'. And it was signed 'Dawn'." In hindsight, Eno now realized Bowie was "saying goodbye."

Bowie's passing is generating the biggest outpouring of sympathy for a pop music artist since Michael Jackson's death and interest and sales of his back catalog has pushed several albums and singles into the top or various country's music charts. Many of his CDs are now sold out on places like Amazon.

nausearockpig

#14 Post by nausearockpig » Mon Jan 11, 2016 4:35 pm

there has been an influx of DB shows on Dime too... no shock there.

Juana

#15 Post by Juana » Tue Jan 12, 2016 2:02 am

Pandemonium wrote:Some further details coming out today...

Apparently Bowie's cancer started out as Lung cancer (no shock, he was a long time heavy smoker) and metastasized into liver cancer.

Bowie apparently suffered several more heart attacks, likely within the past two years while being treated for cancer.

There are 5 more finished songs from the Black Star sessions that will likely see some sort of release in the near future. While he kept his illness a closely guarded secret, his producer Tony Visconti knew the Black Star album would be Bowie's last album.

He was corresponding with Brian Eno to work on a follow-up album to their last collaboration, "Outside." The last e-mail Eno received only 7 days ago, included the final line "Thank you for our good times, brian. they will never rot'. And it was signed 'Dawn'." In hindsight, Eno now realized Bowie was "saying goodbye."

Bowie's passing is generating the biggest outpouring of sympathy for a pop music artist since Michael Jackson's death and interest and sales of his back catalog has pushed several albums and singles into the top or various country's music charts. Many of his CDs are now sold out on places like Amazon.

Losing Bowie and Lem in such short order sucks. I'm hoping Keef makes it thru the month.

nashtheslash

#16 Post by nashtheslash » Tue Jan 12, 2016 7:59 am

Bowie was the man.He'll be sadly missed.Grew up oh his music with my older brother.
been a fan since 12.
Tribute concert for him in new york carnegie hall .special guest ( perry farrell as one ).

Artemis

#17 Post by Artemis » Tue Jan 12, 2016 8:54 am

nashtheslash wrote:Bowie was the man.He'll be sadly missed.Grew up oh his music with my older brother.
been a fan since 12.
Tribute concert for him in new york carnegie hall .special guest ( perry farrell as one ).
Oops..I didn't see you posted this. I posted the exact same thing.. :lol:

Romeo

#18 Post by Romeo » Tue Jan 12, 2016 8:57 am

Well I know where he lived now :lol: He was one person I always just wanted to "pass" on the street but never did. Or maybe I did and didn't notice. It's probably why he loved living in NY. You get swallowed up and hidden in the masses. No one bothers you.
http://patch.com/new-york/williamsburg/ ... e-tributes

perkana

#19 Post by perkana » Tue Jan 12, 2016 9:34 am

Lovely tributes, wish I could have been at the one in Brixton. I had to call my mom yesterday because I knew it would make her very sad. It made me feel better to comfort her. She always loved him as a person, even though she wasn't a big follower of his music (I remember my first encounter with him on the t.v. when I was a kid, it must have been the video he made with Mick Jagger).

mockbee

#20 Post by mockbee » Tue Jan 12, 2016 10:57 am

Romeo wrote:Well I know where he lived now :lol: He was one person I always just wanted to "pass" on the street but never did. Or maybe I did and didn't notice. It's probably why he loved living in NY. You get swallowed up and hidden in the masses. No one bothers you.
I worked on Broome Street, two blocks away, in early 2000s and would walk by there all the time and never saw him! I wonder what his favorite pizza joint was? :waits: :lol:
Angelika Film Center is right there as well, always great indy movies, I bet he frequented there often.

nashtheslash

#21 Post by nashtheslash » Tue Jan 12, 2016 11:39 am

Had the chance to meet Mr. Bowie in the early 80's.
signed my lp of the Rise And Fall of ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from mars.
have it framed and hanging.

Romeo

#22 Post by Romeo » Tue Jan 12, 2016 2:35 pm

mockbee wrote:
Romeo wrote:Well I know where he lived now :lol: He was one person I always just wanted to "pass" on the street but never did. Or maybe I did and didn't notice. It's probably why he loved living in NY. You get swallowed up and hidden in the masses. No one bothers you.
I worked on Broome Street, two blocks away, in early 2000s and would walk by there all the time and never saw him! I wonder what his favorite pizza joint was? :waits: :lol:
Angelika Film Center is right there as well, always great indy movies, I bet he frequented there often.
Love the Angelika! Saw many movies there!

Never ran into Bowie :nyrexall:

Bandit72

#23 Post by Bandit72 » Tue Jan 12, 2016 3:15 pm

SR

#24 Post by SR » Tue Jan 12, 2016 3:46 pm

My first visual experience with him was in the late 70's watching Saturday night live....an epic choice of TVC15. I was probably 11. I finished watching in complete bewilderment. He frightened, intrigued, and gave rise to an unending fascination and love affair with art

SR

#25 Post by SR » Tue Jan 12, 2016 3:51 pm