RIP Bowie

off-topic conversation unrelated to Jane's Addiction
SR

Re: RIP Bowie

#26 Post by SR » Tue Jan 12, 2016 4:04 pm

And then there was this....

A young david sanborne on sax....rich sound mix, vox as the conductor. To this day my favorite live release

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dAwwjBhXx_4

Violent and elegant

Larry B.

#27 Post by Larry B. » Tue Jan 12, 2016 4:48 pm

How the fuck did they do that effect in "Boys Keep Swinging"?? I'm stunned. Fucking freaky.

Matz

#28 Post by Matz » Tue Jan 12, 2016 5:12 pm

great performance....to me, David Bowie and Jimi Hendrix are the biggest rock stars there ever was, they have their very own league

kv

#29 Post by kv » Tue Jan 12, 2016 5:23 pm

My intro was my uncle's 8track of ziggy...I remember it being a topic of conversation at a holiday dinner with my grandmother laughing at the picture..that's a guy? Hahahaha

My uncle got me into Black Sabbath, Led Zeppelin and David Bowie...I couldn't stand his Neal young Crosby stills and Nash and the like...but the first three both scared and intrigued me (I mean it iron man scared the fuck outa me)

For whatever reason I haven't given current gen Bowie much of a go...he is very much a corner stone of my musical foundation...people die that's life...this stung more then most

Glad he got to finish his last record at least

The stars look very different today indeed

kv

#30 Post by kv » Tue Jan 12, 2016 5:40 pm

Just remembered that Bowie even won over my hard ass dad when he did the bing crosby Xmas special...because he respected bing enough to do it straight :noclue:

Keep in mind this was the same open dad who told my I could dye or cut my hair in any fashion I wanted as long as I was aware I'd be shaved bald once home...i could also get my ear pierced it would just be ripped out...but he honestly respected bowie

Pandemonium

#31 Post by Pandemonium » Tue Jan 12, 2016 6:21 pm

Although I obliquely knew a few of Bowie's tunes by my early teens, specifically Space Oddity which was used in a *lot* of tv shows, commercials, etc at the time, my real introduction to Bowie was seeing his live performance from one of his concerts on The Midnight Special in the early 70's, specifically this clip of Jean Genie. That costume with the false hands on Bowie's chest permanently scarred me.

Artemis

#32 Post by Artemis » Tue Jan 12, 2016 8:36 pm

This is an awesome performance with the Foos. :cool: :rockon:

50th B-Day bash at MSG in NYC

Pandemonium

#33 Post by Pandemonium » Tue Jan 12, 2016 9:16 pm

One of my favorite Bowie guest appearances:

mockbee

#34 Post by mockbee » Tue Jan 12, 2016 10:23 pm

so Bowie had an assisted suicide Sunday night, right? The death dirges album dropping on his birthday Friday, the stunning black suit photograph from the same day, the song about where did Monday go, Iman's social media posts over the weekend . . . it's all so perfectly timed. More power to him and may we all have greater agency in our passings.

Just saw this posted by a friend. Seems plausible. A showman to the end. That's actually quite amazing. Big respect to him. :cool:

krakle

#35 Post by krakle » Wed Jan 13, 2016 3:54 am

Oh man, that organ version of Life on Mars brought tears to my eyes. :nyrexall: :nyrexall:

Some more cover versions for you:

Patrick Duff with an entire orchestra, covering Space Oddity in the Bristol Museum. Really nice watch. Great tribute.

https://soundcloud.com/behind-the-corne ... s-to-ashes
Acoustic cover of Ashes to Ashes by two Dutchmen. I like the arrangement much.

Matz

#36 Post by Matz » Wed Jan 13, 2016 4:32 am

mockbee wrote:
so Bowie had an assisted suicide Sunday night, right? The death dirges album dropping on his birthday Friday, the stunning black suit photograph from the same day, the song about where did Monday go, Iman's social media posts over the weekend . . . it's all so perfectly timed. More power to him and may we all have greater agency in our passings.

Just saw this posted by a friend. Seems plausible. A showman to the end. That's actually quite amazing. Big respect to him. :cool:
sounds like something he'd do I guess. Indeed amazing, but isn't assisted suicide illegal in the states? Maybe it was an unauthorized thing with heroin flown in from Berlin

Bandit72

#37 Post by Bandit72 » Wed Jan 13, 2016 4:43 am

Matz wrote:
mockbee wrote:

sounds like something he'd do I guess. Indeed amazing, but isn't assisted suicide illegal in the states? Maybe it was an unauthorized thing with heroin flown in from Berlin
I'd 'heard' that Lemmy's was too. They'd transported his video game over from the rainbow and basically had a shit load of morphine in the flat. Kind of something Lemmy would have done. Especially after Mikkey Dee had stated that Lenny had told him that was it, he'd had enough.

Romeo

#38 Post by Romeo » Wed Jan 13, 2016 8:40 am

mockbee wrote:

If that's what it was I think we all should have that choice instead of suffering!

mockbee

#39 Post by mockbee » Wed Jan 13, 2016 8:49 am

Matz wrote:
mockbee wrote:

Assisted suicide is currently legal in Oregon, Washington, California, Montana and Vermont. Legislation under review in New York.

Bandit72

#40 Post by Bandit72 » Wed Jan 13, 2016 8:59 am

mockbee wrote:
Matz wrote:
mockbee wrote:

Assisted suicide is currently legal in Oregon, Washington, California, Montana and Vermont. Legislation under review in New York.
Are there special clinics like Dignitas in Switzerland? Or can it be 'DIY'?

mockbee

#41 Post by mockbee » Wed Jan 13, 2016 9:11 am

Bandit72 wrote:
mockbee wrote:
Matz wrote:
mockbee wrote:

Are there special clinics like Dignitas in Switzerland? Or can it be 'DIY'?
It's mostly prescription drugs through your physician I think. Still pretty rare in the legal states.

SR

#42 Post by SR » Wed Jan 13, 2016 9:15 am

A mid 60's letter to a 14 year old American fan....an inimitable man

http://www.1067litefm.com/articles/goin ... -14262284/

Jasper

#43 Post by Jasper » Wed Jan 13, 2016 10:36 am

The post-Bowie world is incredibly depressing, and we should just close up the whole enterprise.

Romeo

#44 Post by Romeo » Wed Jan 13, 2016 1:18 pm

If anyone has Sirius radio, channel 30 is a Bowie station until Monday

Artemis

#45 Post by Artemis » Sun Jan 17, 2016 10:23 am

David Bowie, as remembered by
From Blondie and Kate Bush to the Broadway producer who watched Bowie struggle to make his final video, friends, collaborators and celebrity fans offer their insights into the extraordinary man behind the music

http://www.theguardian.com/music/2016/j ... yn-collins

Pandemonium

#46 Post by Pandemonium » Sun Jan 17, 2016 11:03 am

Bruce Springsteen covers "Rebel Rebel" at last night's tour opener: