RIP Lemmy??

off-topic conversation unrelated to Jane's Addiction
Artemis

Re: RIP Lemmy??

#21 Post by Artemis » Sun Jan 10, 2016 11:27 am

A wonderful remembrance by Gene Simmons.
RIP Lemmy Kilmister Motörhead
Message from Gene Simmons
Today we attended Lemmy Kilmister’s Memorial Event…To celebrate the man, and the legend.
Attending in honor of Lemmy were: Sharon, Ozzy and Geezer. Dave Grohl, who testified to what Motorhead meant to him. And Lars Ulrich, who told the story of the time he first met Lem, as an 18 year old kid with big dreams, went to visit Lem at the Sunset Marquis and in short order threw up on himself. And Triple H, who waxed poetic about the love he had for the man. And Rob Halford, Slash, Duff, Scott Ian, Eric Singer. And many more.
My own story involved meeting Lem in 1974, or perhaps it was in early 1975, when his band HAWKWIND (named after sci-fi/fantasy writer’s Michael Moorcock’s book of the same name, which I read and loved as a teenager) opened for KISS somewhere in Middle America. Hawkwind was a psychedelic rock band, eclectic, with a wonderful 6’2” belly dancer: Stacia.
Lem and I didn’t meet up again until a few years later. And continued to run into each other backstage at shows, or at big festivals, when Motorhead would be on the bill…always with a big “How are you.” And a welcoming hug.
A few years ago, I was filming a TV show called ROCK SCHOOL. It was filmed in England (1st season at Christ Church Hospital). I was teaching young 14 year olds to put down the booze and the hooch, and pick up an instrument and learn to care about something else in life, like putting together a rock band, and writing your own song for the first time. And they did.
And the transformation of these young people into committed rockers, who cared, was inspiring. But, how do I end the 1st season on an up?...After these young people did all the work, what’s the payoff? So, I called Lem and his management, who happened to be playing London at the time and they kindly agreed to let this new band, who had never played or recorded anywhere, open up for Motorhead at the sold out Hammersmith Odeon, in London England.
Backstage before the show, the kids were nervous as hell, as you can imagine. I walked into Lemmy’s room and thanked him for giving them a chance. And he responded quite naturally, that someone had once given him a chance. I said thank you again, and said I had to go into the young band’s room to bolster their confidence level before they went on stage.
Lemmy immediately stood up and despite my objections, walked into the new band’s room, and what I saw, were young, wide eyed kids getting the schooling of their life, from someone who’d been there and done that. And more importantly, he reminded the kids that once upon a time, he was them. And that anything is possible.
And that night, these young rockers went out there with fire in their veins, and rocked the house.
That was Lemmy.
Unassuming. Non judgmental. With a heart of gold.
I never heard anyone, fan or other bands ever say anything bad about Lem.
I’ve certainly heard “Asshole” thrown my way, once or twice. But never at Lemmy.
A great man.
Lemmy was mostly, comfortable in his own skin. And perhaps that’s something we can all learn from.

Hype

#22 Post by Hype » Sun Jan 10, 2016 11:34 am

That's a pretty thoughtful, poignant story from such an asshole. :lol:

Matz

#23 Post by Matz » Sun Jan 10, 2016 11:58 am

that's a great story. I used to watch Rock school many years ago but I'd forgotten that part

Pandemonium

#24 Post by Pandemonium » Sun Jan 10, 2016 3:20 pm

It's kind of ironic Simmons does this program intending to help at-risk teens battling drug and alcohol issues and he sets them up to open for and get inspiration from perhaps one of the most notorious, unrepentant partiers on the planet.

Artemis

#25 Post by Artemis » Fri May 13, 2016 3:13 pm

Now THIS is cool! :cool:

I'm going to order some.

http://www.planetrock.com/news/rock-new ... an-stamps/

The Deutsche Post and newspaper Bild are releasing the range in tribute to the rock hero.

Late Motörhead legend Lemmy Kilmister is the face of a limited-edition range of stamps in Germany.

The Deutsche Post and German newspaper Bild came together to create the official stamps honouring the iconic singer, who died aged 70 in December.

Available for a four week period only, books of ten stamps cost €10 and can be bought exclusively via the Bild website.

The newspaper said in a statement: "The German official post office Deutsche Post together with Bild are honouring our beloved late Lemmy Kilmister with an official set of German postage stamps for standard size letter.

"One stamp package contains 10 stamps, 5 Lemmy motifs in total and everyone can compile the stamps the way they like.

"These stamps are limited to 7777 - Lemmy's lucky seven - and will be available for four weeks only, between May 17 and June 17."

"A great artist, a gentleman, an honest and loyal person, an icon for many and an inspiration for his fellow artists and fans."

This is just the latest in a series of posthumous honours for the bona-fide rock god.

Artemis

#26 Post by Artemis » Sat Aug 27, 2016 1:14 pm

Lemmy statue at the Rainbow...

http://www.vulture.com/2016/08/lemmy-ki ... ok_vulture
Nothing can, and will, adequately fill the void that Motörhead's Lemmy Kilmister left behind following his death last December, but an impressive bronze memorial statue in West Hollywood might slightly lessen the blow. The life-size statue — created by local artist Travis Moore — was unveiled earlier this week at the Rainbow Bar & Grill in Los Angeles, which Lemmy frequently visited when he was in the area. "Lemmy was a fixture here,” Mikael Maglieri Jr., one of the owners, told Noisey. "Since I was a little kid, he’s been coming around, playing his video games, smoking cigarettes. If he was not on tour, he was here." The statue's completion was made possible by a fundraising effort between friends and fans, with the surplus funds being donated to cancer research. "This is for the fans. Nothing corporate. Not the label, nothing," ex-Motörhead manager Todd Singerman told L.A. Weekly. "[Lemmy] would always say, at every show, 'Don’t forget us, we are Motörhead, and we play rock 'n' roll.’ That’s my job now." Those mutton chops will live on forever.