Where we're born, versus where we're supposed to be

off-topic conversation unrelated to Jane's Addiction
Larry B.

Re: Where we're born, versus where we're supposed to be

#21 Post by Larry B. » Thu Nov 26, 2015 9:58 am

Bandit72 wrote:
Larry B. wrote:
Bandit72 wrote:
Larry B. wrote:This is most definitely a place I could live in and raise my kids, if I ever have any. It's not going to happen, though. But this city makes me feel welcome.
Hmmm, I've heard this MANY times! :wave:
I'm just hoping that Scottish football hits a new low so that I can manage Hearts or something and earn a few quid.
Can it go any lower?
It might, after they hire me.

perkana

#22 Post by perkana » Thu Nov 26, 2015 11:39 am

farrellgirl99 wrote:
perkana wrote:For me it was New Orleans. I fell in love with that city. For some reason it reminded me of Mexico (the main square looks a lot like any square you would find here), the people were the nicest I've met in the US and the food was delicious. Oh yeah, music everywhere, I loved that.
Same here, Perkana! I've been to NOLA 7 times now and just love it for all the reasons you mentioned. Sweetest people. I would move there in a second but the summer weather gives me pause.

I've lived in Queens my whole life and love it. But NYC is exhausting and too expensive. And the gentrifiers are slowly making their way into deeper parts of Queens and I don't want to see it turned into a whitewashed rich yuppie and hipster playground like Brooklyn. But I think it's inevitable and i should probably leave here before I see my home get taken over.
Another city that made me feel very comfortable was Detroit. But New Orleans won my heart. I agree with others about Berlin, very cosmopolitan.
I totally hear you fg! As much as I love my city, I would love to move somewhere smaller but still cosmopolitan. I'm tired of the commute, traffic, rude people (last night I was spanked by a kid when I was walking around my neighborhood) and the fact that I might see more my friends and family.

Artemis

#23 Post by Artemis » Sun Nov 29, 2015 5:30 pm

cricket_bows wrote:
Artemis wrote:immigrants from the former Yugoslavia
I'm curious about this- have you been to Yugoslavia? If so, was there any connection, any kind of vibe where there was a strange familiarity? 'Though I know very little about specific Jewish holidays, I've wept when my father has busted out some Hebrew when my folks light a menorah for the holiday; I think some of this stuff is just deeply hardwired in us, regardless of how many generations we're removed from it.
I thought I answered this already; must have done so on the ANR board in my mind. :confused: :lol:

I was pretty young when I went to Yugoslavia with my mother. My visits there were in the 70s and early 80s. The confederation of states known as Yugoslavia has since broken up. Where my parents are from is Skopje,Macedonia(FYROM-Former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia).

I can't say I felt any connection there. I think that's because I was really young when I went there and wasn't mature enough to recognize or even articulate something like that. The last time I was there was when I was about 12/13. I guess that would be '79 or '80. If I were to go back now as an adult, I might feel a connection. It was a pretty different world from my life in Canada. Also, I didn't know my relatives or have any connection with them because all of them lived in the "old country".

I have some funny memories from my trips there. My first trip there when I was about 5 or 6, I worried that I would forget how to speak English, because for an entire summer, I had only spoken Macedonian. My mother says that I talked to myself in English to make sure I hadn't forgotten anything. :lol:

The Roma(gypsies) scared me. My mom and aunts told me that the gypsies steal children who misbehave. Any time we saw one carrying a large bag/sac type thing, my mom or one of my aunts would say," See. That's a bad boy or girl in there". Needless to say, I was terrified to the point of tears. #fuckedupparenting

On my last visit, one of my cousins decided to take me to a movie, an American movie, so I could understand everything. The movie we went to see was Looking for Mr.Goodbar. Hardly appropriate for a 12 year old! :lol:

The only connection I have to the country and culture is what my parents shared with me growing up here in Canada. Things like language, food, music, folk stories, and superstitious beliefs(my mother). What they passed on to me is their memory of the time in which they grew up(WWII,Communism) and how they lived, what they went through. I think that's pretty normal for most immigrants. Even when things change in their country, they don't want to recognize or accept it. I guess it's the only thing they have of their former life and want to preserve it. :noclue:

Sometimes when I hear Balkan music I get a little teary. It reminds me of the few happy childhood memories I have of my parents together. Every Sunday on the multicultural radio station(CHIN) there was a couple of programs that were in Serbian and Macedonian. I think there was a Croatian one too. Anyway, they would crank the radio, and sing along to the songs and reminisce of the better times in their former country.

Here's one I remember...