Marijuana Legalization Nationwide

off-topic conversation unrelated to Jane's Addiction
ZOINK

Marijuana Legalization Nationwide

#1 Post by ZOINK » Sun Jul 05, 2015 9:27 pm

What is it going to take to repeal prohibition? Everyone agrees that the tax revenue is a good thing. People are coming to their senses as far as understanding that it is safer than alcohol. The overcrowded jails, etc...
So what is it going to take? We have a new study praising its healing properties without the harsh effects on the kidneys, Etc...
So when is America going to legalize it nationwide?
Open debate begin please.

mockbee

Re: Marijuana Legalization Nationwide

#2 Post by mockbee » Mon Jul 06, 2015 8:08 am

Legal where I sit today. And to the north of me.

:noclue:

kv

#3 Post by kv » Mon Jul 06, 2015 12:11 pm

mockbee wrote:Legal where I sit today. And to the north of me.

Not federally

Bandit72

#4 Post by Bandit72 » Mon Jul 06, 2015 3:10 pm

Something tells me the Mexicans would get pissed off it became legal nationwide. Plus you've still got to get through the tobacco argument, and I'm still not so sure how healthy it is for your lungs smoking pure weed.

I vote for hash cakes and 'shrooms. Stay indoors and wait for the golden temples to appear during your journey through time and space*....oh, and stick any Ozric Tentacles album on. :cool:

*MY FRIEND TOLD ME

nausearockpig

#5 Post by nausearockpig » Mon Jul 06, 2015 5:18 pm

I wonder if the number of car accidents directly attributed to drivers being stoned would increase dramatically due to it being legalised?

Romeo

#6 Post by Romeo » Tue Jul 07, 2015 5:53 am

It would carry the same offense as DWI

Police even back legalizing pot. This way they can focus on other things than busting a kid with a joint.

Bandit72

#7 Post by Bandit72 » Tue Jul 07, 2015 7:32 am

Over here posession for personal use is pretty much a 'naughty naughty' kind of stance. You can't openly smoke weed, however you won't be booked if a copper catches you. They're more interested in the part time (and professional) folk who have 25 halogen lamps in their cellar and are making a nice tax free sum every year. It seems to me, it's not about the drug, it's about the ££££'s.

mockbee

#8 Post by mockbee » Tue Jul 07, 2015 7:39 am

Sens. Ginny Burdick (left) and Ted Ferrioli pose with Burdick's new bong on the Oregon Senate floor, given to her by the Senate on July 1, 2015, the first day of recreational pot being legal in Oregon.
This is actually the only issue in Oregon that Repubs and Dems have managed to agree on. Seems to be the way states - then Feds will go, esp. with Libertarians in favor. I bet in less than 5 years it will be done, look at gay marriage, that went from 0 to 60 in the last 5-10 years.

Hokahey
Site Admin

#9 Post by Hokahey » Tue Jul 07, 2015 8:58 am

mockbee wrote:Image
Sens. Ginny Burdick (left) and Ted Ferrioli pose with Burdick's new bong on the Oregon Senate floor, given to her by the Senate on July 1, 2015, the first day of recreational pot being legal in Oregon.
This is actually the only issue in Oregon that Repubs and Dems have managed to agree on. Seems to be the way states - then Feds will go, esp. with Libertarians in favor. I bet in less than 5 years it will be done, look at gay marriage, that went from 0 to 60 in the last 5-10 years.
Agreed. The dam is cracking. It's only a matter of time before the water pours out.

Romeo

#10 Post by Romeo » Tue Jul 07, 2015 9:26 am

Bandit72 wrote:Over here posession for personal use is pretty much a 'naughty naughty' kind of stance. You can't openly smoke weed, however you won't be booked if a copper catches you. They're more interested in the part time (and professional) folk who have 25 halogen lamps in their cellar and are making a nice tax free sum every year. It seems to me, it's not about the drug, it's about the ££££'s.
Depends on the State. Originally NY since the early 70's had the "Rockefeller Law" which basically had a minimum of 15 years for possession for 2 oz OF ANYTHING. So someone could of had 2 oz of coke or 2 oz of Marijuana.... 15 years. It was ridiculous. Completely overcrowded the jails and didn't stop sales.
In 2009 they dropped the mandatory sentences and go case by case. Could be jail time or offer "treatment" (if your caught in possession of heroin or coke).
But according to Wiki:
New York City remains the cannabis-arrest capital of the world[citation needed], with over 40,000 arrests in 2008. Despite New York's decriminalization of simple possession, New York City police arrest suspects for possession in public view, which remains a misdemeanor. During a Terry stop, officers may falsely suggest that a suspect should voluntarily reveal contraband to avoid arrest, then arrest the suspect if he reveals cannabis to public view.[5] In 2008, the New York Civil Liberties Union criticized the crackdown for its cost and scope, its reliance on stop-and-frisks and police coercion to escalate simple possession into an arrestable offense, and the disproportionate number of young, black and Latino males arrested.[6]

nausearockpig

#11 Post by nausearockpig » Tue Jul 07, 2015 2:48 pm

nausearockpig wrote:I wonder if the number of car accidents directly attributed to drivers being stoned would increase dramatically due to it being legalised?
Romeo wrote:It would carry the same offense as DWI

Police even back legalizing pot. This way they can focus on other things than busting a kid with a joint.
No, that I realise. What I'm asking is whether the fact that it's decrimininalised or legalised would therefore put it in the hands of more people, and if that's the case, does that mean, or equal, more people using and driving with the same lack of regard that DUIing has for others... I guess time will tell but I'm going out on a limb and saying that yes, the number of car accidents will increase dramatically cos people will think "I'm fine to drive, i've only had one cone / joint / bowl" not realising their level of impairment....

creep
Site Admin

#12 Post by creep » Tue Jul 07, 2015 4:35 pm

nausearockpig wrote:
nausearockpig wrote:I wonder if the number of car accidents directly attributed to drivers being stoned would increase dramatically due to it being legalised?

No, that I realise. What I'm asking is whether the fact that it's decrimininalised or legalised would therefore put it in the hands of more people, and if that's the case, does that mean, or equal, more people using and driving with the same lack of regard that DUIing has for others... I guess time will tell but I'm going out on a limb and saying that yes, the number of car accidents will increase dramatically cos people will think "I'm fine to drive, i've only had one cone / joint / bowl" not realising their level of impairment....
driving high is much different than driving drunk. it's really not that dangerous. ask any stoner and they will most likely tell you they drive better high. right kv?

nausearockpig

#13 Post by nausearockpig » Tue Jul 07, 2015 7:31 pm

creep wrote:
nausearockpig wrote:

driving high is much different than driving drunk. it's really not that dangerous. ask any stoner and they will most likely tell you they drive better high. right kv?
I think it makes you a BETTER driver....

creep
Site Admin

#14 Post by creep » Tue Jul 07, 2015 7:42 pm

Hokahey
Site Admin

#15 Post by Hokahey » Wed Jul 08, 2015 4:58 pm

creep wrote:
nausearockpig wrote:

Well, I know people that also say they drive better drunk.

But yes, stoned driving usually just means driving like an old person. Really slow and with your blinker on. Annoying to others, but pretty safe.

nausearockpig

#16 Post by nausearockpig » Wed Jul 08, 2015 5:29 pm

hokahey wrote:
creep wrote:
nausearockpig wrote:

Well, I know people that also say they drive better drunk.

But yes, stoned driving usually just means driving like an old person. Really slow and with your blinker on. Annoying to others, but pretty safe.
lol just cos they say it, don't mean it's true.... It's not a pool table after all...

I would find it difficult to believe that any impairment, or altered state that causes lack of concentration would allow someone to drive as competently as they would without being under the influence of said impairing agent. I'm sure there's some studies somewhere.... :noclue:

Perhaps the govt should invest in a programme where they do a lot of testing of users, set a "stoned level" somehow (is that even possible), start growing weed and selling it in the same way they do smokes and booze. Tax the fuck out of it and get your sorry USArses out of your deficit! and by then you'll all be too stoned to care... lol

Romeo

#17 Post by Romeo » Thu Jul 09, 2015 5:58 am

in the eyes of the law, impaired is impaired. It could be a muscle relaxer.

You get caught, you get arrested.