Social Media Hiatuses

off-topic conversation unrelated to Jane's Addiction
Hype

Re: Social Media Hiatuses

#21 Post by Hype » Sun May 24, 2015 12:59 pm

mockbee wrote:
Adurentibus Spina wrote:.....As far as I can tell this comes from a weird idea about what the experience of using Facebook is supposed to be -- something like "This is *my* Facebook, and your stupid shit keeps coming up. I don't like it." But as others have noted, you can easily "unfollow" a person without "unfriending" them, ......
great!

Tell me how I can "unfollow" Real Estate For Sale, Happify, Scoot Networks, Groupon, and some guy named CBS News. I don't remember ever "friending" these people, and they keep popping up everywhere!

They're annoying!!!
Adblock+ for starters, and uh, yeah, you might have "Liked" either pages of those things, or else you're seeing things from friends.

nausearockpig

#22 Post by nausearockpig » Sun May 24, 2015 6:28 pm

I see Pete DiStefano has withdrawn from Facebook and the like..... working from LinkedIn now I believe.

perkana

#23 Post by perkana » Sun May 24, 2015 7:25 pm

He's back!!

perkana

#24 Post by perkana » Sun May 24, 2015 7:28 pm

mockbee wrote:Actually, the "friends" & family that I am "friends" with on Facbook are pretty non-annoying for the most part. The only thing I was ever taken aback by was a video of a woman (wife of an old friend) giving birth, that just started rolling in the feed. I was like, what am I looking at, OH MY GOD! :scared:

Facebook is pretty harmless, just don't like that sometimes you never see stuff from people, that you'd like to know about, and end up seeing 20 times how the someone's dog peed on the couch of someone's couch.
That's why I chose to stop autoplay for vids. You can change that in your settings. P.S. Btw, who would like to share that? Even record it?

nausearockpig

#25 Post by nausearockpig » Sun May 24, 2015 7:49 pm

perkana wrote:He's back!!
:lolol:

creep
Site Admin

#26 Post by creep » Sun May 24, 2015 8:04 pm

perkana wrote:He's back!!
oh thank god

retiring and unretiring from social media is the best. usually lasts more than one day though.

Romeo

#27 Post by Romeo » Mon May 25, 2015 4:44 am

Adurentibus Spina wrote:
mockbee wrote:
Adurentibus Spina wrote:.....As far as I can tell this comes from a weird idea about what the experience of using Facebook is supposed to be -- something like "This is *my* Facebook, and your stupid shit keeps coming up. I don't like it." But as others have noted, you can easily "unfollow" a person without "unfriending" them, ......
great!

Tell me how I can "unfollow" Real Estate For Sale, Happify, Scoot Networks, Groupon, and some guy named CBS News. I don't remember ever "friending" these people, and they keep popping up everywhere!

They're annoying!!!
Adblock+ for starters, and uh, yeah, you might have "Liked" either pages of those things, or else you're seeing things from friends.
Plus you go to the little arrow on the right of the ad and click "I don't want to see ads like this" and poof they're gone

But in all seriousness I've hidden so many people on FB I might as well leave lol I love when you leave the country and your phone is rendered useless and WiFi is shotty. It's so relaxing to be disconnected

mockbee

#28 Post by mockbee » Mon May 25, 2015 8:04 am

Romeo wrote:
Adurentibus Spina wrote:
mockbee wrote:
great!

They're annoying!!!
Plus you go to the little arrow on the right of the ad and click "I don't want to see ads like this" and poof they're gone

But in all seriousness I've hidden so many people on FB I might as well leave lol I love when you leave the country and your phone is rendered useless and WiFi is shotty. It's so relaxing to be disconnected
Yeah, there is a little box where you have to go to each ad and hide it I guess, to not see it again in your feed. I think people have complained that they have to hide a half dozen adds everytime they go to facebook. I agree, if you don't like how social media works, don't do it, or customize it so it minimizes grievances.

I looked at the people I've hidden, and thought, Ohhhh, that's why I haven't heard from them, I thought they just quit facebook. :lol:

mockbee

#29 Post by mockbee » Mon May 25, 2015 10:19 am

perkana wrote:
mockbee wrote:Actually, the "friends" & family that I am "friends" with on Facbook are pretty non-annoying for the most part. The only thing I was ever taken aback by was a video of a woman (wife of an old friend) giving birth, that just started rolling in the feed. I was like, what am I looking at, OH MY GOD! :scared:

Facebook is pretty harmless, just don't like that sometimes you never see stuff from people, that you'd like to know about, and end up seeing 20 times how the someone's dog peed on the couch of someone's couch.
That's why I chose to stop autoplay for vids. You can change that in your settings. P.S. Btw, who would like to share that? Even record it?

If I stop autoplay for videos then I wouldn't instantly see the baby elephant doing somersaults in the bath and then falling out with 'i'm in love with the coco' playing in the background...... :bday:

But I think I will, that was too much.....

I'm not surprised that there was a video of the birth, they are from Eugene, the scrappy little cousin of Berkeley. It's where white kids are named Ganesha and Deepraj and Saguna and going to the fair means donning fairy costumes and face paint for children and romping around the woods with a bunch of naked hairy people and birthing parties are normal, where you invite your friends over to your house, cover your bed in a plastic sheet, give birth then have a potluck afterwards with your friends.

Just putting it on instant video was the weird part.......

Romeo

#30 Post by Romeo » Tue May 26, 2015 6:37 am

mockbee wrote:
Romeo wrote:
Adurentibus Spina wrote:
mockbee wrote:
great!

They're annoying!!!

Yeah, there is a little box where you have to go to each ad and hide it I guess, to not see it again in your feed. I think people have complained that they have to hide a half dozen adds everytime they go to facebook. I agree, if you don't like how social media works, don't do it, or customize it so it minimizes grievances.

I looked at the people I've hidden, and thought, Ohhhh, that's why I haven't heard from them, I thought they just quit facebook. :lol:
Same here :lol:
Or I see all the "like if you believe in Jesus" posts, complaining posts, "share to save this baby from cancer" posts and think THANK GOODNESS they're hidden! :lol:

Artemis

#31 Post by Artemis » Wed May 27, 2015 11:55 am

I just checked the page of a "friend" I unfollowed and see that she is still posting the same shit. Her husband left her about 2 years ago or so. It doesn't appear that she's over it yet..

perkana

#32 Post by perkana » Wed May 27, 2015 2:02 pm

I don't know why people post shit like that, it's not like the guilty person (or not guilty) is going to read it. It's like me and my aunts with their "Sweet Jesus!" posts. I had to unfollow them too :lol:
Last edited by perkana on Wed May 27, 2015 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Romeo

#33 Post by Romeo » Wed May 27, 2015 2:15 pm

I have a friend going through the BEST, and by BEST i mean so pathetic, mid-life crisis.

I would hide her but she give me and another friend HOURS of entertainment :lol:

Hype

#34 Post by Hype » Wed May 27, 2015 4:07 pm

My view is: I don't care what you post on Facebook unless it's something about or involving me. A lot of perfectly ordinary people have batshit nonsense fluttering around inside their cobweb-infested skulls, and just like chain letters used to be, if they find an outlet, and have nothing else interesting in their lives, they'll let that shit out... And I get why you could use it as entertainment or get really annoyed by it, but I think that's the thing that's great about Facebook: it's possible to use it in a way that suits you.

perkana

#35 Post by perkana » Wed May 27, 2015 5:21 pm

Are you paid by facebook Hypey? :lol: Just kidding, I agree.

creep
Site Admin

#36 Post by creep » Wed May 27, 2015 6:22 pm

we should have our own "deep thoughts by facebook friends" thread where we post anonymous stupid shit our "friends" post.

MYXYLPLYX

#37 Post by MYXYLPLYX » Wed May 27, 2015 6:29 pm

This also works great for message board retirement speeches... :hehe:

Romeo

#38 Post by Romeo » Thu May 28, 2015 6:40 am

creep wrote:we should have our own "deep thoughts by facebook friends" thread where we post anonymous stupid shit our "friends" post.
I like this! :thumb:

creep
Site Admin

#39 Post by creep » Sat May 30, 2015 6:19 am

creep wrote:we should have our own "deep thoughts by facebook friends" thread where we post anonymous stupid shit our "friends" post.
this facebook post amused me today.

All over the world, waters are turning red. From Ohio to Canada to Antartica. On April 28th of this year, Brazil beaches are blood red. Why? Well Revelation 16:4 says, The third angel poured out his bowl on the rivers and springs of water, and they became blood. This is a sign that we are in End Time. Please pray people!!!

mockbee

#40 Post by mockbee » Sat May 30, 2015 9:30 am

I have no friends or family like that freaky religious perspective. I guess I am lucky......

I wouldn't be able to stand seeing that more than once.

The most extreme thing I see is how Obama is destroying the environment with his policies, we need to follow Bernie Sanders, and the pharm companies are out of control. I guess I agree with most of that, but it's annoying seeing that post after post from people.

perkana

#41 Post by perkana » Sat May 30, 2015 9:33 am

My sweet Jesus loving aunts would love this :lol:
creep wrote: this facebook post amused me today.

All over the world, waters are turning red. From Ohio to Canada to Antartica. On April 28th of this year, Brazil beaches are blood red. Why? Well Revelation 16:4 says, The third angel poured out his bowl on the rivers and springs of water, and they became blood. This is a sign that we are in End Time. Please pray people!!!

JOEinPHX

#42 Post by JOEinPHX » Sat May 30, 2015 12:41 pm

creep wrote:
this facebook post amused me today.

Religious people will seriously believe ANYTHING.

Pandemonium

#43 Post by Pandemonium » Sat May 30, 2015 9:13 pm

Six7Six7 wrote:Religious people will seriously believe ANYTHING.
They need to improve their Photoshop skills. The oceans turning to cherry jello isn't a sign of end times.

nausearockpig

#44 Post by nausearockpig » Sun May 31, 2015 12:35 am

Pandemonium wrote:
They need to improve their Photoshop skills. The oceans turning to cherry jello isn't a sign of end times.
it is if you're a completely gullible spaz..

Hype

#45 Post by Hype » Sun May 31, 2015 6:13 am

nausearockpig wrote:
Pandemonium wrote:
it is if you're a completely gullible spaz..
It could also be this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_tide
:noclue: