Who's been to/lives in Florida?

off-topic conversation unrelated to Jane's Addiction
mockbee

Re: Who's been to/lives in Florida?

#81 Post by mockbee » Tue Jul 28, 2015 8:35 pm

A prang is a tall tower-like spire, usually richly carved. They were a common shrine element of Hindu and Buddhist architecture in the Khmer Empire.
Never saw any prangs in Florida, maybe different where you are at.....?

Maybe you are not referring to this, but I don't know what a prang is then. :hs:

Florida has a bunch of old people who probably shouldn't be driving. The state's car accident fatality rate seems to only be slightly above the national norm though, maybe just a bunch of fender benders. There are 645 car accidents every day in Florida, so I guess you are bound to see one.

Driving sucks, I would advise against it, that way you won't be in an accident. :wink:

nausearockpig

#82 Post by nausearockpig » Tue Jul 28, 2015 8:39 pm

lol

prang
praŋ/
BRITISH informal

verb
crash (a motor vehicle or aircraft).
"Ernie pranged his sports car last month"

noun
a crash involving a motor vehicle or aircraft.
"he had numerous prangs and near misses in his motoring life"

Bandit72

#83 Post by Bandit72 » Wed Jul 29, 2015 5:21 am

Lol! sorry, I thought that word was universal.

Romeo

#84 Post by Romeo » Wed Jul 29, 2015 6:47 am

Bandit72 wrote:A couple of things I have noticed.

a) How come cars in Florida only have a licence plate on the rear of the vehicle? Is this a state law?
b) Why are there so many prangs on the road? The roads are huge. The speed is slow. Yet every day I'm out in the car there is an accident. Maybe it's a percentage thing it's just I see an accident every day here :noclue: I hope I'm not involved in one.
Yes, Florida does not require front and rear license plates (NY does)
Actually 19 states do not require front plates:
Alabama
Arkansas
Arizona
Delaware
Florida
Georgia
Indiana
Kansas
Kentucky
Louisiana
Michigan
Mississippi
New Mexico
North Carolina
Oklahoma
Pennsylvania
South Carolina
Tennessee
West Virginia

:noclue:

And you see so many crashes because peoples driving SUCKS :lol: Actually in Florida part of the issue is elderly drivers. Some of them have bad eyesight and have slower reaction time BUT still possess a license.
HELL my friend in NJ, her Mother is 87 and just got a license renewal for another 5 years. WTF??? She can legally drive until she's 92 :yikes: she should of stopped driving 5 years ago.

Artemis

#85 Post by Artemis » Wed Jul 29, 2015 6:52 am

When I was in FL for the first time in the early 90s, I noticed that many of the old people had huge cars like Lincoln Continentals. I don't know how they parked those things.. :lol:

Romeo

#86 Post by Romeo » Wed Jul 29, 2015 7:49 am

Now old folks either drive

Lincolns

OR

Toyota Camry's and in Beige

Bandit72

#87 Post by Bandit72 » Wed Jul 29, 2015 5:53 pm

My hire car is a new Ford Escape SE which is nice. It's the first time I've driven in the states and it only cost me $32 to fill the tank. Back home it would cost me about $95. I have noticed though the car eats fuel, even though the cruise control regulates the speed. It does tend to rev quite high though before changing up. Lots of great lookin cars here though, the Ford 150's seem very popular and I've seen a lot of 5.4 l engines :yikes: I even saw a Nissan dealer have a sign saying buy 1 get 2 free! Wtf?!

Today I did a swamp tour in Kissimmee which was great. Saw a few alligators including a mother by her nest and this HUGE eagle. Amazing to see.

Pandemonium

#88 Post by Pandemonium » Wed Jul 29, 2015 8:43 pm

Bandit72 wrote:My hire car is a new Ford Escape SE which is nice. It's the first time I've driven in the states and it only cost me $32 to fill the tank. Back home it would cost me about $95. I have noticed though the car eats fuel, even though the cruise control regulates the speed. It does tend to rev quite high though before changing up. Lots of great lookin cars here though, the Ford 150's seem very popular and I've seen a lot of 5.4 l engines :yikes: I even saw a Nissan dealer have a sign saying buy 1 get 2 free! Wtf?!

Today I did a swamp tour in Kissimmee which was great. Saw a few alligators including a mother by her nest and this HUGE eagle. Amazing to see.
Did you get to see any massive lightning storms yet?

Bandit72

#89 Post by Bandit72 » Thu Jul 30, 2015 5:31 am

The best one we saw was right at the start when we were driving up through 'Alligator Alley' from the airport up towards Lake Placid. Really mad lightning miles away. Puts you off driving a bit! It's been very, very wet on the Gulf Coast the past few days but in central Florida we've been very lucky. Just pockets of rain for about 20 minutes and a few distant rumbles.

Romeo

#90 Post by Romeo » Mon Aug 03, 2015 8:47 am

Bandit72 wrote:My hire car is a new Ford Escape SE which is nice. It's the first time I've driven in the states and it only cost me $32 to fill the tank. Back home it would cost me about $95. I have noticed though the car eats fuel, even though the cruise control regulates the speed. It does tend to rev quite high though before changing up. Lots of great lookin cars here though, the Ford 150's seem very popular and I've seen a lot of 5.4 l engines :yikes: I even saw a Nissan dealer have a sign saying buy 1 get 2 free! Wtf?!

I used to own a Escape SE and YES it eats gas (V6 engine). But it was a first model year so it was "ok", they are way nicer now (but still eat gas)

Now I have a Ford focus. Cute little car, only 2.0 liter engine so I save sooooo much on gas!