Um, can I ask you guys a question?

off-topic conversation unrelated to Jane's Addiction
Hype

Re: Um, can I ask you guys a question?

#41 Post by Hype » Mon Mar 23, 2015 2:49 pm

SR wrote:
Adurentibus Spina wrote:Pro-tip: you don't have to click on the big squares on your Start Screen, you can start typing the name of the application or file you want, and even if you've only partially gotten through the word, you can hit ENTER to open it. So you could do this:

1. Press WIN-KEY (opens Start screen)
2. Type 'Wor', hit enter.
3. Use Microsoft Word.

No need to navigate through menus or app buttons.

On the Start screen, you can uninstall an app just by right-clicking on it. Sometimes this opens the old-school uninstall window, but still pretty simple.

Also, you should get CCleaner, MalwareBytes Anti-malware, and honestly, you could probably get away with just using Windows Defender as your main antivirus (and just double-check once in a while with MalwareBytes...)
Wow, that was pretty amazing......but it doesn't mean that I can capture files from email and otherwise on word right?
I think/hope you meant 'find files from email on the start screen', because finding email files in Word makes no sense. And I'm not sure of the answer to that question because it depends on what email client you use, whether you store files locally, etc. But if you play around with the settings you can tweak the Windows search function in different ways. You can also rearrange the Start Screen in various ways. For one thing, you can set it so that when you start up the computer it goes straight to the desktop instead of to the Start screen, and it might also be helpful to set the "Apps" view as the default, with desktop apps first. All these settings are accessible by right-clicking on the taskbar and selecting 'properties', and then the Navigation tab.

Hype

#42 Post by Hype » Mon Mar 23, 2015 3:01 pm

I should have said that you can also just press WIN+S to search/open a new program/file at any time.

SR

#43 Post by SR » Tue Mar 24, 2015 7:35 am

Adurentibus Spina wrote:
SR wrote:
Adurentibus Spina wrote:Pro-tip: you don't have to click on the big squares on your Start Screen, you can start typing the name of the application or file you want, and even if you've only partially gotten through the word, you can hit ENTER to open it. So you could do this:

1. Press WIN-KEY (opens Start screen)
2. Type 'Wor', hit enter.
3. Use Microsoft Word.

No need to navigate through menus or app buttons.

On the Start screen, you can uninstall an app just by right-clicking on it. Sometimes this opens the old-school uninstall window, but still pretty simple.

Also, you should get CCleaner, MalwareBytes Anti-malware, and honestly, you could probably get away with just using Windows Defender as your main antivirus (and just double-check once in a while with MalwareBytes...)
Wow, that was pretty amazing......but it doesn't mean that I can capture files from email and otherwise on word right?
I think/hope you meant 'find files from email on the start screen', because finding email files in Word makes no sense. And I'm not sure of the answer to that question because it depends on what email client you use, whether you store files locally, etc. But if you play around with the settings you can tweak the Windows search function in different ways. You can also rearrange the Start Screen in various ways. For one thing, you can set it so that when you start up the computer it goes straight to the desktop instead of to the Start screen, and it might also be helpful to set the "Apps" view as the default, with desktop apps first. All these settings are accessible by right-clicking on the taskbar and selecting 'properties', and then the Navigation tab.
no. Those 3 commands took me to a blank word file, which was cool. And no, I was never looking to find emails in a word file doc, but rather want to have my computer recognize word file attachments from email.

All of these tips are interesting, but tell me.....do people generally shut down their computers? I never have. I simply let it go to sleep. Is this unwise, unsafe?

Hype

#44 Post by Hype » Tue Mar 24, 2015 7:38 am

You don't really have to shut down modern computers, especially laptops that use SSDs. Hard restarts are necessary for some installations/updates, but that's about it.

SR

#45 Post by SR » Tue Mar 24, 2015 7:45 am

Adurentibus Spina wrote:You don't really have to shut down modern computers, especially laptops that use SSDs. Hard restarts are necessary for some installations/updates, but that's about it.
Will Larry be upset?

Hype

#46 Post by Hype » Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:56 am

SR wrote:
Adurentibus Spina wrote:You don't really have to shut down modern computers, especially laptops that use SSDs. Hard restarts are necessary for some installations/updates, but that's about it.
Will Larry be upset?
God I hope so. :tiphat:

mockbee

#47 Post by mockbee » Tue Mar 24, 2015 9:59 am

I have a MacBook at home, essentially use it as a desktop, so I am curious about the "on" and "how best to cycle the battery" question.

This is just what some random person said, but seems practical, but I suppose just depends on what your situation is and what type of drive/battery you have. :noclue:

eroydouglas wrote:

Never heard that advice before. The kb certainly does not say that.

Big difference from your statement compare ""Apple does not recommend leaving your portable plugged in all the time."

I think using the battery regularly is a better interpretation.

I would submit that is the way most people use their Portables, close the lid.

You absolutely misunderstood I referred to BOTH "on power AND in sleep mode"

not to: "closing the lid ,... sleep mode"

Using the battery regularly can mean anything as a generalization.

That advice on parasitic charging is correct. Which referres to BOTH in sleep AND on power... not however to merely "in sleep mode"

There is no etrecheck for parasitic battery charging, ..... NOR is there any such check for both:

1. fast discharges

3. low discharges

As such that battery information you provided above doesnt report bad abuse / misuse of a battery.

Nor does / can Etrecheck report on physical abuse of any macbook, logically.

Battery abuse / misuse is a type of physical abuse, chemistry of the battery abuse, however its internal.

I did not say the KB article said that, what it says:

http://www.apple.com/batteries/notebooks.html

"Apple does not recommend leaving your portable plugged in all the time."

So, you misunderstood.

Apples recommendation refers to micro-cycling the battery and to parasitic charging in the above quote, that it doesnt elaborate on the specifics of same is irrelevant.

The implication from same is exactly this

*If you don’t plan on using it for a few hours, turn it OFF (plugged in or otherwise) ..*You don’t want your Macbook both always plugged in AND in sleep mode (When portable devices are charging and in the on or sleep position, the current that is drawn through the device is called the parasitic load and will alter the dynamics of charge cycle. Battery manufacturers advise against parasitic loading because it induces mini-cycles.)

Keeping batteries connected to a charger ensures that periodic "top-ups" do very minor but continuous damage to individual cells, hence Apples recommendation above: “Apple does not recommend leaving your portable plugged in all the time”, …this is because “Li-ion degrades fastest at high state-of-charge”.

This is also the same reason new Apple notebooks are packaged with 50% charges and not 100%.

Contrary to popular myths about notebook batteries, there is protection circuitry in your Macbook and therefore you cannot ‘overcharge’ your notebook when plugged in and already fully charged.

However if you do not plan on using your notebook for several hours, turn it off (plugged in or otherwise), since you do not want your Macbook ‘both always plugged in and in sleep mode’.

A lot of battery experts call the use of Lithium-Ion cells the "80% Rule", meaning use 80% of the full charge or so, then recharge them for longer overall life. The only quantified damage done in the use of Lithium Ion batteries are instances where the internal notebook battery is “often drained very low”, this is bad general use of your notebook battery.

A person who has, for example, 300 charge cycles on their battery and is recharging at say 40% remaining of a 100% charge has a better battery condition state than, say, another person who has 300 charge cycles on their battery and is recharging at say 10-15% remaining on a 100% charge. DoD (depth of discharge) is much more important on the wear and tear on your Macbook’s battery than the count of charge cycles. There is no set “mile” or wear from a charge cycle in specific. Frequent high depth of discharge rates (draining the battery very low) on a Lithium battery will hasten the lowering of maximum battery capacity.

All batteries in any device are a consumable meant to be replaced eventually after much time, even under perfect use conditions.

If the massive amount of data that exists on lithium batteries were to be condensed into a simplex, helpful, and memorable bit of information it would be:

1. While realistically a bit impractical during normal everyday use, a lithium battery's longevity and its chemistry's health is most happy swinging back and forth between 20% and 85% charge roughly.

2. Do not purposefully drain your battery very low (10% and less), and do not keep them charged often or always high (100%).

3. Lithium batteries do not like the following:

A: Deep discharges, as meaning roughly 10% or less on a frequent basis.

B: Rapid discharges as referring to energy intensive gaming on battery on a frequent basis (in which case while gaming, if possible, do same on power rather than battery). This is a minor consideration.

C: Constant inflation, as meaning always or most often on charge, and certainly not both in sleep mode and on charge always or often.

From Apple on batteries:

http://www.apple.com/batteries/notebooks.html

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1446

Bad discharging or battery use conditions:

Heat (due to environmental conditions or due to rapid discharges from heavy use = gaming / video editing)

Rapid discharging of the battery frequently causes chemical changes over time in the battery leading to decreased capacity and resistance of current flow.

The very worst use of your battery is often draining the battery very low, and worse still letting it remain in such a state.

*Most long-term rapid damage to the battery occurs from discharging it with high loading (gaming) conditions but paramount is avoiding deep and frequent low DOD (depths of discharge) in use.

Undesirable charging or charged conditions:

High perpetual SOC (state of charge), where the battery is always or very often connected to charge

Parasitic loading where the battery is both usually on and charging or worse both always charging and in sleep mode, since this induces mini-cycling of the battery.

Bad general handling conditions:

Temperature use conditions when either too hot (95F and above) or too cold (50F and below)
Storing your battery away with a low charge (40% and less) long-term.

Considerations:

Your battery is subject to chemical aging even if not in use. A Lithium battery is aging as soon as its made, regardless.

In a perfect (although impractical) situation, your lithium battery is best idealized swinging back and forth between 20 and 85% SOC (state of charge) roughly.

Further still how you discharge the battery is far more important than how it is either charged or stored short term.

Ultimately counting charge cycles is of little to no importance. Abuse in discharging (foremost), charging, and storing the battery and how it affects battery chemistry is important and not the ‘odometer’ reading, or cycle counts on the battery.

Everything boils down to battery chemistry long term, and not an arbitrary number, or cycle count.

Keep your macbook plugged in when near a socket since in the near end of long-term life, this is beneficial to the battery.

Larry B.

#48 Post by Larry B. » Tue Mar 24, 2015 11:02 am

SR wrote:
Will Larry be upset?
Not this time, but there is no harm in turning them off either. It just saves a tiny bit of energy. If you have Windows, a restart after an installation is recommended, to minimize registry errors.

Hype

#49 Post by Hype » Tue Mar 24, 2015 11:07 am

Some companies preload battery management software to help deal with the cycling issue. One way to do this is to set the battery to stay around 60% and keep it from charging, but yeah if you're keeping it plugged in a lot... Don't.

SR

#50 Post by SR » Wed Mar 25, 2015 7:29 am

Just went to authorize my iTunes and apparently I have to locate an old compute to de-authorize it. Hope I can find one. :banghead: :banghead:

SR

#51 Post by SR » Wed Mar 25, 2015 7:44 am

SR wrote:Just went to authorize my iTunes and apparently I have to locate an old compute to de-authorize it. Hope I can find one. :banghead: :banghead:
Is there anything the internet can't tell you? :thumb:

SR

#52 Post by SR » Wed Mar 25, 2015 8:03 am

Ok, now taking recommendations on virus defense software.

Larry B.

#53 Post by Larry B. » Wed Mar 25, 2015 8:36 am

Hype will tell you how all anti-virus software are pointless and how you're better off with Windows Defender and several add-ons for your browser. And that 5 years ago, the anti-virus he had was the best ever conceived by human kind, but now they sold out to some stupid company and it's not worth it anymore. But he still has it on his old Lenovo, which is a tank and the best laptop ever crafted by a brillant ape.

SR

#54 Post by SR » Wed Mar 25, 2015 8:54 am

Does that mean I am good with what came pre-installed? :lol:http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/test-centre/ ... p-2015-uk/ This article has at the top of the list many that I heard to stay away from

Hype

#55 Post by Hype » Wed Mar 25, 2015 11:00 am

I did already say that you can probably get away with just using Windows Defender, which doesn't apply to Macs, obviously. But here's a link: http://www.tomsguide.com/t/antivirus/

nausearockpig

#56 Post by nausearockpig » Mon Mar 30, 2015 6:52 am

I use AVG (paid, not free), Anti-Malwarebytes & SuperAntiSpyware all together with no complaints so far.

Artemis

#57 Post by Artemis » Tue Jul 14, 2015 10:46 am

Good Afternoon,

I use Google chrome, and just now on my Facebook I got a yellow bar which says "Adobe Flash Player is out of date. " with the option to update plug-in or run this time.

Adobe Flash has been in the news lately about hacking. I don't know if I should update the plug-in or not.

What about HTML5 ?

Artemis

#58 Post by Artemis » Tue Jul 14, 2015 1:40 pm

Artemis wrote:Good Afternoon,

I use Google chrome, and just now on my Facebook I got a yellow bar which says "Adobe Flash Player is out of date. " with the option to update plug-in or run this time.

Adobe Flash has been in the news lately about hacking. I don't know if I should update the plug-in or not.

What about HTML5 ?

Nevermind...I've sorted it out. :tiphat:

Hype

#59 Post by Hype » Wed Jul 15, 2015 7:26 am

There's been a lot of talk of switching (back) to Firefox because of how bloated and crashy Chrome has become. It does really take over if you use Hangouts/Now and set it to load at startup, and have too many extensions. Firefox is now officially blocking Flash by default, so if you're worried about viruses, etc., it's probably worth switching (you can copy all your bookmarks, history, etc., over).

Flash will be gone in a few years. It's really only still around so that we can view shitty early 2000s intro/splash pages (or Jane's Addiction's entire website ca. 2003).

But if you still use Chrome, you *should* always update plugins, because these are often security updates.

Artemis

#60 Post by Artemis » Wed Jul 15, 2015 7:30 am

Thanks,Hype!

I updated everything yesterday and all seems to be in order.

Larry B.

#61 Post by Larry B. » Wed Jul 15, 2015 7:42 am

I bought myself a Mac Mini, should arrive in a few days. I'm a bit excited and worried about the transition, but hopefully it should be fine. The PC I bought 2 or 3 years ago is now all manners of fucked up because of Firefox, Chrome and some stupid Windows Updates that the system somehow installed on its own (I had obviously disabled them as soon as I installed Windows 7) and that I cannot uninstall. Fuck that shit.

Artemis

#62 Post by Artemis » Tue Aug 18, 2015 11:12 am

Widgets??

I came across this on a website I was just looking at:
Widget Area

Please login and add some widgets to this widget area.

What does it mean, please? :oldtimer:

mockbee

#63 Post by mockbee » Tue Aug 18, 2015 11:30 am

Artemis wrote:Widgets??

I came across this on a website I was just looking at:
Widget Area

Please login and add some widgets to this widget area.

What does it mean, please? :oldtimer:
All I can say is whenever I see the word 'widget', I think of fidgety midgets.

Hope that helps....? :noclue:

Hype

#64 Post by Hype » Tue Aug 18, 2015 11:42 am

Widgets are basically just any small app/application designed to add a single function (or small set of functions) to an already existing application or platform... so you could consider a clock or weather app you add to your desktop a 'widget'. In fact, Windows had a whole thing around this called 'Gadgets' which were basically widgets, but this has been discontinued.

Artemis

#65 Post by Artemis » Tue Aug 18, 2015 12:31 pm

Adurentibus Spina wrote:Widgets are basically just any small app/application designed to add a single function (or small set of functions) to an already existing application or platform... so you could consider a clock or weather app you add to your desktop a 'widget'. In fact, Windows had a whole thing around this called 'Gadgets' which were basically widgets, but this has been discontinued.

I remember the Gadgets. Thanks Spina, I understand what the widgets are now. :tiphat: