Um, can I ask you guys a question?

off-topic conversation unrelated to Jane's Addiction
Larry B.

Re: Um, can I ask you guys a question?

#61 Post by Larry B. » Wed Jul 15, 2015 7:42 am

I bought myself a Mac Mini, should arrive in a few days. I'm a bit excited and worried about the transition, but hopefully it should be fine. The PC I bought 2 or 3 years ago is now all manners of fucked up because of Firefox, Chrome and some stupid Windows Updates that the system somehow installed on its own (I had obviously disabled them as soon as I installed Windows 7) and that I cannot uninstall. Fuck that shit.

Artemis

#62 Post by Artemis » Tue Aug 18, 2015 11:12 am

Widgets??

I came across this on a website I was just looking at:
Widget Area

Please login and add some widgets to this widget area.

What does it mean, please? :oldtimer:

mockbee

#63 Post by mockbee » Tue Aug 18, 2015 11:30 am

Artemis wrote:Widgets??

I came across this on a website I was just looking at:
Widget Area

Please login and add some widgets to this widget area.

What does it mean, please? :oldtimer:
All I can say is whenever I see the word 'widget', I think of fidgety midgets.

Hope that helps....? :noclue:

Hype

#64 Post by Hype » Tue Aug 18, 2015 11:42 am

Widgets are basically just any small app/application designed to add a single function (or small set of functions) to an already existing application or platform... so you could consider a clock or weather app you add to your desktop a 'widget'. In fact, Windows had a whole thing around this called 'Gadgets' which were basically widgets, but this has been discontinued.

Artemis

#65 Post by Artemis » Tue Aug 18, 2015 12:31 pm

Adurentibus Spina wrote:Widgets are basically just any small app/application designed to add a single function (or small set of functions) to an already existing application or platform... so you could consider a clock or weather app you add to your desktop a 'widget'. In fact, Windows had a whole thing around this called 'Gadgets' which were basically widgets, but this has been discontinued.

I remember the Gadgets. Thanks Spina, I understand what the widgets are now. :tiphat:

nausearockpig

#66 Post by nausearockpig » Tue Aug 18, 2015 3:10 pm

Artemis wrote:
Adurentibus Spina wrote:Widgets are basically just any small app/application designed to add a single function (or small set of functions) to an already existing application or platform... so you could consider a clock or weather app you add to your desktop a 'widget'. In fact, Windows had a whole thing around this called 'Gadgets' which were basically widgets, but this has been discontinued.

I remember the Gadgets. Thanks Spina, I understand what the widgets are now. :tiphat:
I preferred when widgets were a fictional item used in a business discussion, rather than an actual thing....

Artemis

#67 Post by Artemis » Fri Feb 05, 2016 8:34 pm

Do people still say "jiggy"?

I was listening to a song on youtube and one of the comments was " this song jiggy as fuck".
The comment was from 5 months ago. I don't know all the latest lingo or anything, but I thought "jiggy" would have been passé by now. :lol: :noclue:

Hype

#68 Post by Hype » Sun Feb 07, 2016 9:25 pm

I think it's now used with a different meaning: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=jiggy

Defs (3) and (4) seem not to have anything to do with the Will Smith song.

Bandit72

#69 Post by Bandit72 » Thu Mar 03, 2016 3:34 pm

I thought I'd use this thread as a tech thread. Has anyone on here got or had experience with an AppleWatch or another high end smart watch? I'm after a fitness watch and have, over the past two or three days, researched Fitbit, Polar, Garmin, TomTom etc.... Some obviously do the job (and more) that I'm after. Thing is they're 'not' that far off the price of a smart watch which obviously has even more function, and they also look pretty shit. I understand it's not a fashion statement, but would like some feed back.

Should I hang on for the AppleWatch 2? Or the latest Android?

Anyone.....anyone....Bueller

Pandemonium

#70 Post by Pandemonium » Thu Mar 03, 2016 9:00 pm

Bandit72 wrote:I thought I'd use this thread as a tech thread. Has anyone on here got or had experience with an AppleWatch or another high end smart watch? I'm after a fitness watch and have, over the past two or three days, researched Fitbit, Polar, Garmin, TomTom etc.... Some obviously do the job (and more) that I'm after. Thing is they're 'not' that far off the price of a smart watch which obviously has even more function, and they also look pretty shit. I understand it's not a fashion statement, but would like some feed back.

Should I hang on for the AppleWatch 2? Or the latest Android?

Anyone.....anyone....Bueller
My wife has a Fitbit Flex mostly to monitor how much walking she does at the mall every day (roughly 3 miles per day) and her sleep patterns. I don't believe it monitors heart rate but the higher end models do. It shows stuff like calories burned in a specific time frame and syncs up with the app to manage data on either her iPad or iPhone. She likes it because it's pretty simple, no frills, small on her wrist and has proven to be pretty reliable.

Artemis

#71 Post by Artemis » Mon Nov 14, 2016 6:07 pm

Is a toilet seat easy to change or do I need to find a handyperson?

Also, my bathroom door is unhinged. Do you think that can be repaired or will I have to get a new door too??

creep
Site Admin

#72 Post by creep » Mon Nov 14, 2016 6:30 pm

toilet seats are super easy. two screws with two nut thingys. make sure you buy the right seat. it is ether standard or elongated. if it is an older toiled probably standard.

your door pic did not show up.

Artemis

#73 Post by Artemis » Mon Nov 14, 2016 6:45 pm

Thanks, creep! I thought the seat would be something I could do myself.

Can you see the pic now?

creep
Site Admin

#74 Post by creep » Mon Nov 14, 2016 6:51 pm

yeah that can be repaired. most bathroom doors are light (hollow) so you can first try longer and slightly bigger screws. should be able to hold the door just fine.

you should be able to do that yourself too.

Artemis

#75 Post by Artemis » Mon Nov 14, 2016 6:55 pm

:tiphat:

creep
Site Admin

#76 Post by creep » Mon Nov 14, 2016 6:57 pm

Artemis

#77 Post by Artemis » Mon Dec 04, 2017 4:00 pm

Hello,

Has anybody used ASUS products before?

I was looking at an ad for a 1 year old Asus UX305C Ultrabook- refurbished. 256GB SSD and 8GB RAM.

The seller is asking $450.(CAD)

From reviews that I've read, Asus seems to be a decent mid-price brand.

:noclue:

creep
Site Admin

#78 Post by creep » Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:26 pm

Artemis wrote:Hello,

Has anybody used ASUS products before?

I was looking at an ad for a 1 year old Asus UX305C Ultrabook- refurbished. 256GB SSD and 8GB RAM.

The seller is asking $450.(CAD)

From reviews that I've read, Asus seems to be a decent mid-price brand.

:noclue:
I am typing this on my Asus laptop and it is one of my favorite laptops. No issues with it and it is super light and the battery power is really good. This is mine. UX330UA

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M1 ... UTF8&psc=1

kv

#79 Post by kv » Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:43 pm

asus got their name making video gaming components for pc...they make good stuff and once they got going into making nice laptops, i find them very well made and super reasonably priced

if you have yet to have an ssd, you will never go back!

creep
Site Admin

#80 Post by creep » Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:24 am

kv wrote: if you have yet to have an ssd, you will never go back!
so true

Artemis

#81 Post by Artemis » Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:43 am

Thanx, guys! I think I'm going to buy it.

Hype

#82 Post by Hype » Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:20 pm

Ultrabooks are very thin, lightweight, portable, etc. Usually this means you'll sacrifice some processing power for battery life, but these days that doesn't really matter much. Reviews of that model are really good. Some reputable sites give it a 9/10: http://www.trustedreviews.com/reviews/a ... book-ux305
https://www.digitaltrends.com/laptop-re ... 05-review/

It looks to be about 2 and a half years old, so you're probably in the middle of its usable life. By about 5 years the battery will be nearly unusable (and around 3 years in you may start noticing it doesn't last as long as it would have at the start).

It has a lot of RAM. Should be no issues there.
The price is about right -- some places list it higher.
The SSD they use is large, but only about half as speedy as newer ones. As the others said, if you've never used an SSD before, you'll be blown away by how quickly it starts up, resumes, loads things, etc.

I think it's a good deal. I'm still using a laptop I bought in 2015, and it was about a year old then. It's starting to show its age a little bit, lagging in some apps, but otherwise totally fine.

Artemis

#83 Post by Artemis » Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:48 pm

Thanks, Hype. :thumb:
I decided to pass on this deal for one of the reasons you stated- age. Also, I like a larger screen and I've never purchased anything from someone on Kijiji.

My laptop now, an HP Pavillion G series, is from 2012. It's served me well; however, I think it's time for something new.

Hype

#84 Post by Hype » Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:12 pm

Artemis wrote:Thanks, Hype. :thumb:
I decided to pass on this deal for one of the reasons you stated- age. Also, I like a larger screen and I've never purchased anything from someone on Kijiji.

My laptop now, an HP Pavillion G series, is from 2012. It's served me well; however, I think it's time for something new.
If you have some extra cash, the most recommended laptop right now is the Dell XPS 13. It's just far and away better than the competitors.

If you want a bigger screen, they make an XPS 15, but it gets lower reviews -- one reason may be that a bigger screen is harder on the battery, especially if it's 4K. So you just have to try to weigh the desire for a big screen against the battery issue. Usually with high-resolution screens, Windows will default to magnifying everything anyway, so you might be better off with a standard 1920x1080 screen, even at the 15" size. You may notice that almost all notebooks these days are 13.3" or so, so your options in the larger sizes can be limited.

Here's the Canadian page for XPS 13: http://www.dell.com/en-ca/shop/dell-lap ... 360-laptop

It can get pretty pricey. The upper-tier models are using the newest processors, and have more RAM and storage. But honestly, I wouldn't worry about that. Still, $1200 is a lot more than $500.

If that's out of your range, maybe the Inspiron 15" would be fine:

http://www.dell.com/en-ca/shop/dell-lap ... 567-laptop

$900 gets you an SSD. You'd still be pushing $1,000 including tax, but Dell really does make reliable, well-made computers these days.

I wouldn't trust HP. I've had bad luck with ASUS and ACER in the past, but they have fairly good reputations. Toshiba were great 15 years ago, but have gone to hell, don't touch them. Sony and Samsung make beautiful-looking machines but they're way over-priced for what you get. Oh, and whatever you do don't buy Lenovo!

If you're looking at something and want to check up on it, try searching it here: https://www.consumerreports.org/product ... -overview/

creep
Site Admin

#85 Post by creep » Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:42 pm

Artemis wrote:Thanks, Hype. :thumb:

13.3 is my favorite screen size....but I travel a lot so I like one more portable.

If it never left my house I would probably go for a 14 inch but I'm not a fan of anything much bigger for a laptop.

Another thing that is important to me is audio quality. In hotels it is my main source of entertainment so good sound is important.

I like my Asus. As I mentioned the battery life is great, sound is good, SSD boots up in seconds and it has an aluminum body..not a cheap, flimsy plastic one.