World Cup

off-topic conversation unrelated to Jane's Addiction
creep
Site Admin

Re: World Cup

#241 Post by creep » Wed Jul 02, 2014 5:15 am

Bandit72 wrote:That was flagged offside too. He was about a MILE onside. So if he had of scored it wouldn't have stood anyway.

You lot should be glad, they're using video refereeing for the goal line! Should make you feel more at home, innit.
i saw that it was flagged offsides. so is there a video review in the world cup? i'm confused. if there is no review it's a good thing he missed it. that would have been pretty controversial.

perkana

#242 Post by perkana » Wed Jul 02, 2014 5:40 am

Mescal wrote:Eeuhhm, sorry 6767. I was kinda quick in responding.

Rereading your post you were actually defending me.

Jeuj! Go Belgium! :waveflag:
:lolol:
I get very sensitive too. I knew you were going to win!

perkana

#243 Post by perkana » Wed Jul 02, 2014 5:46 am

Artemis wrote:
Larry B. wrote:
I don't know if it's because I got to experience this WC in real life, so please correct me if I'm wrong... but I fell like this is the most exciting World Cup I've ever seen. Quite a few goals, many upsets, many comebacks, great saves, great intensity in some games... I don't know, it seems like anyone could beat anyone, regardless of names and history.
No, it's not just you. I think this is the best WC in recent memory. I've watched almost all the games in their entirety. Even when I was at work, I streamed the games on my computer. The times I couldn't actually watch, like when my boss was nearby, I listened with ear phones. Sure a couple of the matches were boring but overall they've been pretty exciting with many upsets and surprises. :rockon:

One thing I observed is the Uruguay team wears the tightest jerseys or they are super buff compared to all the other teams. :lol:
I agree, at least it has been way better than the last WC. I really can't tell who will be playing the finals. And I hope it's not as boring as the last one :sui:

perkana

#244 Post by perkana » Wed Jul 02, 2014 5:49 am

Note to self: go to Uruguay
:lol:

creep
Site Admin

#245 Post by creep » Wed Jul 02, 2014 5:50 am

perkana wrote:
Artemis wrote:
Larry B. wrote:
I don't know if it's because I got to experience this WC in real life, so please correct me if I'm wrong... but I fell like this is the most exciting World Cup I've ever seen. Quite a few goals, many upsets, many comebacks, great saves, great intensity in some games... I don't know, it seems like anyone could beat anyone, regardless of names and history.
No, it's not just you. I think this is the best WC in recent memory. I've watched almost all the games in their entirety. Even when I was at work, I streamed the games on my computer. The times I couldn't actually watch, like when my boss was nearby, I listened with ear phones. Sure a couple of the matches were boring but overall they've been pretty exciting with many upsets and surprises. :rockon:

One thing I observed is the Uruguay team wears the tightest jerseys or they are super buff compared to all the other teams. :lol:
I agree, at least it has been way better than the last WC. I really can't tell who will be playing the finals. And I hope it's not as boring as the last one :sui:
not knowing anything about this game i'm thinking germany vs belgium.

Larry B.

#246 Post by Larry B. » Wed Jul 02, 2014 6:01 am

creep wrote:
Bandit72 wrote:That was flagged offside too. He was about a MILE onside. So if he had of scored it wouldn't have stood anyway.

You lot should be glad, they're using video refereeing for the goal line! Should make you feel more at home, innit.
i saw that it was flagged offsides. so is there a video review in the world cup? i'm confused. if there is no review it's a good thing he missed it. that would have been pretty controversial.
Nope, no video review in football. The only technology they use (and we're not counting the foam as 'technology', unfortunately) is the goal line review that helps the ref know if the ball actually crossed the goal line in its entirety (and thus, whether or not it was a goal.) In the past, there have been dozens of controversial calls in that regard. Now, the refs are wearing a watch that will let them know if the ball crossed the line.

Also, and I mean this in a good way, it's "offside", not "offsides". :thumb:

Mescal

#247 Post by Mescal » Wed Jul 02, 2014 7:06 am

creep wrote:
perkana wrote:
Artemis wrote:
Larry B. wrote:

not knowing anything about this game i'm thinking germany vs belgium.
I hope you're right, I hope you're right ...

Juana

#248 Post by Juana » Wed Jul 02, 2014 10:52 am

Larry B. wrote:
Juana wrote:Keep in mind I know Belgium is the better side, if not for Tim Howard standing on his head it would have likely been a 7-0 loss instead of 2-1
Actually, 16-1. Howard made 16 saves, more than any other goalkeeper in a World Cup match in recorded history. Here are all his saves.

Belgium deserved the win, but it was a really good match. For a minute there, before extra time, I thought the US were actually going to pull off a last minute win.

Naw its been awesome all the games going to extra time, getting to penalty shoot outs. Last minute goals. It's been an awesome WC so far.

Bandit72

#249 Post by Bandit72 » Thu Jul 03, 2014 2:05 am

creep wrote:

As Larry has explained. There has been a lot of talk about video refereeing, and I'm glad they have goal line technology. The argument against it is that

a) it slows the game down, which is nonsense.

and

b) Football is supposed to be a game anyone can play at any level, so that kind of technology is not necessarily transferable across the whole game. i.e Much lower divisions in football, even at amateur level wouldn't benefit. I can see the point, but at top level I just think it benefits. It also ousts cheats.

Does all college football in the states have video refereeing? I imagine directly below the NFL does?

Artemis

#250 Post by Artemis » Thu Jul 03, 2014 5:21 am

Thai albino hedgehog 'Little' eat fruits and vegetables in front of a Belgium flag, thus predicting a Belgian win, given a choice between two bowls of goodies, each representing either Belgium or Argentina, during an attempt at predicting World Cup 2014 soccer results at the zoo in Chiang Mai, northern Thailand

perkana

#251 Post by perkana » Fri Jul 04, 2014 9:10 am

Artemis

#252 Post by Artemis » Fri Jul 04, 2014 5:12 pm

Lots of Brasil fans in Toronto today.
Since Portugal is out, all the Portuguese in Toronto now support Brasil.
Win or lose, Brasil supporters have the best party. There's always a couple of flatbed trucks with dancers and samba bands and some of the streets are closed off.

Juana

#253 Post by Juana » Fri Jul 04, 2014 5:32 pm

Todays BRA COL match was one of the worst reffed of the tourny

Larry B.

#254 Post by Larry B. » Fri Jul 04, 2014 8:58 pm

Artemis wrote:Lots of Brasil fans in Toronto today.
Since Portugal is out, all the Portuguese in Toronto now support Brasil.
Win or lose, Brasil supporters have the best party. There's always a couple of flatbed trucks with dancers and samba bands and some of the streets are closed off.
That looks really cool.

Artemis

#255 Post by Artemis » Sat Jul 05, 2014 7:35 am

Looking forward to seeing Belgium beat Argentina today!! Or as a Dutch friend refers to them as, 'The Belgiums'. :lol:

perkana

#256 Post by perkana » Sat Jul 05, 2014 8:01 am

¡Vamos Argentina! ¡Hagan waffles belgas!!

perkana

#257 Post by perkana » Sat Jul 05, 2014 8:14 am

Has anyone heard this song? This girl is so adorable. I want to adopt her :heart:

There have been a lot of memes too, tagged with #noerapenal (it wasn't penalty). One of my favorites is this one...
Pablo Neruda wrote:I can write the most sad verses tonight. For example, it wasn't penalty

Warped

#258 Post by Warped » Sat Jul 05, 2014 9:09 am

Yeah GOAL for Argentina :rockon: :rockon:

Larry B.

#259 Post by Larry B. » Sat Jul 05, 2014 9:47 am

Warped wrote:Yeah GOAL for Argentina :rockon: :rockon:
:rockon: :rockon:

Warped

#260 Post by Warped » Sat Jul 05, 2014 10:58 am

:thumb: If Argentina wins the cup i'll get this dress

perkana

#261 Post by perkana » Sat Jul 05, 2014 10:59 am

One less European team :wiggle:

Larry B.

#262 Post by Larry B. » Sat Jul 05, 2014 11:00 am

Warped wrote:Image

:thumb: If Argentina wins the cup i'll get this dress
And I will request a collection of pictures of you wearing it in a variety of scenarios and levels of filthiness.

Warped

#263 Post by Warped » Sat Jul 05, 2014 11:02 am

:hehe: Sure.

Artemis

#264 Post by Artemis » Sat Jul 05, 2014 11:04 am

next match...

netherlands vs costa rica

Juana

#265 Post by Juana » Sat Jul 05, 2014 11:56 am