World Cup

off-topic conversation unrelated to Jane's Addiction
Bandit72

Re: World Cup

#126 Post by Bandit72 » Mon Jun 23, 2014 5:12 am

As do most sports. Typically unresolved unless it's a final.

Larry B.

#127 Post by Larry B. » Mon Jun 23, 2014 5:33 am

Yes, in football the umpire doesn't call for a Budweiser Three-Pointer Shootoff to decide the outcome of the game.

Netherlands vs. Chile... any brave soul wants to predict the winner and why is it Chile?

Mescal

#128 Post by Mescal » Mon Jun 23, 2014 7:48 am

We won!

That's about all I can say about yesterday's match.

Larry, didn't you say before that Chili's team kinda sucked, and they only just barely made it to the World Cup?

Suddenly they're a favorite for the title?

Larry B.

#129 Post by Larry B. » Mon Jun 23, 2014 9:08 am

Mescal wrote:We won!

That's about all I can say about yesterday's match.

Larry, didn't you say before that Chili's team kinda sucked, and they only just barely made it to the World Cup?

Suddenly they're a favorite for the title?
Yes, they didn't have it easy in the South American qualifiers; however, that may be expected since we have the toughest qualifiers there are. Regardless, Chile's weakest point is their mentality. That's why I was so impressed when they beat Spain. Usually, Chile could go 2-0 up and then concede 2 or 3 goals in the last 15 minutes. This time, however, Spain couldn't score at the end (although they were really bloody close to) and history was written.

I wouldn't consider Chile favorites to the title, however. While this is our best team ever, and these our best performances in any World Cup, we still will not be able to beat Brazil or Argentina due to those mentality issues.

If Chile avoids Brazil in the first knockout round, they will make it to the semi-finals.

Warped

#130 Post by Warped » Mon Jun 23, 2014 9:26 am

Larry B. wrote:
Netherlands vs. Chile... any brave soul wants to predict the winner and why is it Chile?
It will be Chile cause they have Alexis Sanchez and Vidal (who played for my fave club Leverkusen) :thumb: and not the Netherlands cause they have Robben who is an asshole and one of the unfairest players ever :no:

so.... Chile wins 2:1

Mescal

#131 Post by Mescal » Mon Jun 23, 2014 10:44 am

Warped wrote:
Larry B. wrote:
It will be Chile cause they have Alexis Sanchez and Vidal (who played for my fave club Leverkusen) :thumb: and not the Netherlands cause they have Robben who is an asshole and one of the unfairest players ever :no:

so.... Chile wins 2:1
They d better hurry then

Larry B.

#132 Post by Larry B. » Mon Jun 23, 2014 1:11 pm

Brilliant game from the Dutch. Now it's up to Croatia or Mexico to win for a goal difference higher than Brazil's. Pleeeeeease.

perkana

#133 Post by perkana » Mon Jun 23, 2014 1:30 pm

If they sing "Cielito Lindo" once more, I'm going to kill myself :sui:

perkana

#134 Post by perkana » Mon Jun 23, 2014 2:26 pm

Fucking referees :no:

perkana

#135 Post by perkana » Mon Jun 23, 2014 2:51 pm

Finally Chicharito!

perkana

#136 Post by perkana » Mon Jun 23, 2014 3:11 pm

:love:
ImageImageImageImage

chaos

#137 Post by chaos » Mon Jun 23, 2014 3:16 pm

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/soccer-di ... 19664.html

Company confuses Barack Obama with Chris Smalling on England team mug set
By Sean Leahy
7 hours ago

It's been a forgettable World Cup for England on the pitch. Off the pitch, one company is having a forgettable few days as well, as they had hoped to cash in on a successful tournament for The Three Lions, as the Sunday Express notes.

Among the English World Cup merchandise an unnamed British company had created featuring the likenesses of the English soccer team were a set of mugs that included one glaring error. You could purchase a Steven Gerrard or Joe Hart or Wayne Rooney, among others, but if you’re a big Chris Smalling fan, you might notice something a tad off about his appearance.

U.S. President Barack Obama does not play center back for Manchester United or the English national team.

Realizing its mistake, the company turned to online re-seller Wholesale Clearance UK to dump the error-filled inventory.

The item description explains what happened:

The Dorset company in question (whose blushes we shall protect for now....maybe!) was given the seemingly easy job of sourcing royalty free pictures of each England squad player to use on the England mugs – along with other accompanying items such as England coasters, England mouse mats etc. They passed this onto to their young, bright eyed and bushy tailed new apprentice. The designs were proofed and signed off by the Boss, who had clearly had a heavy night with the lads playing poker and before he’d had his first vat of coffee the following morning.

Due to our ongoing commitment to help local companies get their products noticed, last Wednesday 2,000 of each of the England items came into the warehouse. We eagerly unpacked them and on close inspection it turned out that the Chris Smalling cup had Barack Obama’s head on instead of Chris’s.

The apprentice claims that he used that well known search engine, Google, to source the pictures. The thing is he’s more of a rugby fan and not very clued up on football. Suffice to say that when he Google image searched ‘Chris Smalling’ he copied the first picture he liked the look of and the result was that the President of the United States has ended up on an England cup instead of the English defender.

So, if you would like to purchase 2,000 Obama England national team mugs, it will run you £2,000. They're bound to be collector's items by now.

Warped

#138 Post by Warped » Mon Jun 23, 2014 10:26 pm

perkana wrote::love:
ImageImageImageImage
:thumb: :love:

creep
Site Admin

#139 Post by creep » Mon Jun 23, 2014 10:35 pm

quit objectifying men. it's really offensive to us.

Artemis

#140 Post by Artemis » Tue Jun 24, 2014 9:35 am

:lol: ya gotta admit, he is guapo.

i am cheering for Uruguay. i hope they send those Dolce & Gobanni suit wearing Italians home!

Artemis

#141 Post by Artemis » Tue Jun 24, 2014 10:58 am

Arriverderci, Italia!

LJF

#142 Post by LJF » Tue Jun 24, 2014 11:15 am

Artemis wrote:Arriverderci, Italia!

That was a bullshit game. Italy never should have played for the draw, but the red card was bullshit on Marchisio and no red on Suarez for biting. Sorry but that is shit. One of my team is out now onward and upward for the US.

Larry B.

#143 Post by Larry B. » Tue Jun 24, 2014 11:33 am

LJF wrote:Italy never should have played for the draw
When has Italy not played for a draw?

I'm glad they're out. I don't enjoy boring teams progressing in the cup.

So far, it looks like Honduras will be the only Latin American team failing to reach the knockout stage, with Ecuador also risking an early exit. I'm quite happy about that.

Edit: Also, Marchisio's foul is definitely a red. High studs and nowhere near the ball. You don't need to break someone's leg to receive a red.

Link 1: http://gfycat.com/WickedCreamyCero

Link 2: http://gfycat.com/SeveralZigzagAlbertosaurus

perkana

#144 Post by perkana » Tue Jun 24, 2014 12:16 pm

I like Italians, but yay for Uruguay!

krakle

#145 Post by krakle » Tue Jun 24, 2014 12:41 pm

LJF

#146 Post by LJF » Tue Jun 24, 2014 12:51 pm

Larry B. wrote:
LJF wrote:Italy never should have played for the draw
When has Italy not played for a draw?

I'm glad they're out. I don't enjoy boring teams progressing in the cup.

So far, it looks like Honduras will be the only Latin American team failing to reach the knockout stage, with Ecuador also risking an early exit. I'm quite happy about that.

Edit: Also, Marchisio's foul is definitely a red. High studs and nowhere near the ball. You don't need to break someone's leg to receive a red.

Link 1: http://gfycat.com/WickedCreamyCero

Link 2: http://gfycat.com/SeveralZigzagAlbertosaurus

They've been playing a bit more of an attacking style. I still feel the straight red was harsh, but it is what it is. Again if they would have pushed up more the result could have been different. When they were forced to push forward and attack they did ok even with 10 men.

There is no doubt Suarez deserved a red.

It's been interesting to see the old guard countries getting knocked out.

How has being at the matches been? How is the atmosphere?

I went to four matches when the cup was in US in 94. It was awesome.

Larry B.

#147 Post by Larry B. » Tue Jun 24, 2014 2:06 pm

We got back a couple of days ago, it was definitely a great experience. The Argentinians and Brazilians can create one hell of an atmosphere. I expected more from the Colombians as well. The Bosnian had that scary USSR quality too.

One of those trips you never forget. One, because it was awesome, and two, because we have like 500 photos. I just got 120 pictures printed and now have to find a good photo album.

And yes, Suarez should've been shown a red as well. Apparently, FIFA are going to look into the incident. I reckon he should be suspended for at least 2 matches. He'll play in the semis, score 4 goals and become top goalscorer having played only 3 matches.

Matz

#148 Post by Matz » Tue Jun 24, 2014 3:39 pm

curious, are women as or almost as interested in watching football in South America as men are!? Seems like it to me..Most women here couldn't care less, ...

creep
Site Admin

#149 Post by creep » Tue Jun 24, 2014 4:41 pm

Larry B. wrote:We got back a couple of days ago, it was definitely a great experience. The Argentinians and Brazilians can create one hell of an atmosphere. I expected more from the Colombians as well. The Bosnian had that scary USSR quality too.

One of those trips you never forget. One, because it was awesome, and two, because we have like 500 photos. I just got 120 pictures printed and now have to find a good photo album.

And yes, Suarez should've been shown a red as well. Apparently, FIFA are going to look into the incident. I reckon he should be suspended for at least 2 matches. He'll play in the semis, score 4 goals and become top goalscorer having played only 3 matches.
i know the tickets were a lottery but why couldn't you trade tickets with a fan from another country so you could watch chile? was that possible?

kv

#150 Post by kv » Tue Jun 24, 2014 5:17 pm

honest question...when is this shit over?