Quirks

off-topic conversation unrelated to Jane's Addiction
ellis

Re: Quirks

#61 Post by ellis » Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:30 pm

@Artemis... I love you.

@Hype... it is in my opinion, the decent thing to do. That last 10 seconds to 5 minutes of ANYTHING one does, is the easiest part! If someone eats a piece of fruit, they'll probably wash it first. While standing next to the sink, they'll take the sticker off the fruit and stick it to the edge of the sink or cutting board or whatever... then they'll wash the fruit and dry it off. Then walk away. On a scale of 1 to 10, that orphan sticker... that just sits there after they left... it propels me from a 2 to a 8 in just a few seconds. Burns me up!!

Things like that are all equal in my eye.

Open a thing of yogurt and leave the tinfoil lid on the counter? RAGE.
Eat a bowl of cereal and leave the box out of the cabinet? RAGE.
Take the last cup of coffee at work and not start a new pot? RAGE.

Maybe it's me... :tiphat:

Hype

#62 Post by Hype » Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:59 pm

Yeah, it's one of those things... There are lots of things that are decent things to do... but probably getting angry all the time about people not doing them is bad. You might end up sounding like Larry B. :lol:

Essence_Smith

#63 Post by Essence_Smith » Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:52 pm

Maaaaannn life is just too damn short to get too peeved about people being people, or be so set in one's ways or have preferences so strong that things like not being able to wash your fruit or someone leaving a drop in the milk carton or wearing flip flops or whatever gets under your skin...I definitely have a few pet peeves but I refuse to let people get me po'd because they are either not sensible (imo) or have funny habits or whatever...to each their own...I was particularly perturbed by a poster here who came to visit me here in NY and refused to get a cell phone...a lot easier to get in touch in the big city when ya got one, but ya know, live and let live... :wink:

creep
Site Admin

#64 Post by creep » Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:56 pm

Essence_Smith wrote:to each their own...
:lol: coming from you that's funny...

why is the guy named essence? > :essence:

Artemis

#65 Post by Artemis » Mon Feb 11, 2013 5:43 pm

ellis wrote:
I have become that person. I don't do it with coffee but I use up all the hot water and leave it for someone else to fill up. Same with the printer and paper. All I care about is that there is enough paper for what I needed printed. I use to be very thoughtful and courteous at work, now I just do what I need to do for me. I got tired of being one of the people who always fills up the printer, gets toner, fixes it, etc.
Last edited by Artemis on Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.

nausearockpig

#66 Post by nausearockpig » Mon Feb 11, 2013 5:48 pm

Artemis wrote:
ellis wrote:
I have become that person. I don't do it with coffee but I use up all the hot water and leave it for someone else to fill up. Same with the printer and paper. All I care about is that there is enough paper for what I needed printed. I used to be very thoughtful and courtesy at work, now I just do what I need to do for me. I got tired of being one of the people who always fills up the printer, gets toner, fixes it, etc.
Doesn't that make you sad inside? I'm becoming one of those too.. & it makes me a bit sad..

Artemis

#67 Post by Artemis » Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:05 pm

nausearockpig wrote:
Artemis wrote:
ellis wrote:
I have become that person. I don't do it with coffee but I use up all the hot water and leave it for someone else to fill up. Same with the printer and paper. All I care about is that there is enough paper for what I needed printed. I used to be very thoughtful and courtesy at work, now I just do what I need to do for me. I got tired of being one of the people who always fills up the printer, gets toner, fixes it, etc.
Doesn't that make you sad inside? I'm becoming one of those too.. & it makes me a bit sad..
Yes, it does make me a little sad because I am not that type of person. I just got tired of being that person who would always end up doing that stuff. The morale i nmy office is very low these days and it's very much the every person for him/herself mentality. It's funny because my company is promoting all this nonsense about being "one" and "we are all family". Fuck that.

nausearockpig

#68 Post by nausearockpig » Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:13 pm

Artemis wrote:
nausearockpig wrote:
Artemis wrote:
ellis wrote:
Yes, it does make me a little sad because I am not that type of person. I just got tired of being that person who would always end up doing that stuff. The morale i nmy office is very low these days and it's very much the every person for him/herself mentality. It's funny because my company is promoting all this nonsense about being "one" and "we are all family". Fuck that.
ha! yeah i know that spiel very well.. it's all bullshit.. as a company (like every company really) whose primary objective is to make money, they should drop the facade and just say "We want you to work as hard as you can for what we pay you. that way we will value you more."

The company I work for has posters and slogans all over the place about being <the client-name>'s trusted partner, peer and blah blah.. when in reality the client does not see us as partners in a lot of the relationships I've seen and been a part of.. mainly we're their whipping boys..

It would be refreshing, albeit politically incorrect, to see honest posters and slogans on the wall hahhah

Essence_Smith

#69 Post by Essence_Smith » Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:20 pm

creep wrote:
Essence_Smith wrote:to each their own...
:lol: coming from you that's funny...

why is the guy named essence? > :essence:
:essence: Internet behavior is a lil different imo...I expect people to generally be effed up in "real life"...I used to view these boards differently because of the longevity, some sense of community, etc...I care a LOT less now... :lol:

mockbee

#70 Post by mockbee » Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:29 pm

Artemis wrote: The morale i nmy office is very low these days and it's very much the every person for him/herself mentality. It's funny because my company is promoting all this nonsense about being "one" and "we are all family". Fuck that.
:rockon:

Sounds like it's time for a change......

Maybe to sunny California? You can meet up with Everybody's Friend and his wife on the way over. :noclue: :lol:

Everyone is happy all the time over here! :wave:.... well, at least when you go outside....on a nice day, which is pretty much everyday. Like today which was 66 F and beautiful, pretty typical. :wiggle:

Hype

#71 Post by Hype » Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:18 pm

they should drop the facade and just say "We want you to work as hard as you can for what we pay you. that way we will value you more."
That doesn't seem true to me. Individual people might value a particular person they perceive as a hard worker more in a particular case. But then again, they might just want to sleep with you, or your sister, or play golf with you on the weekend, or whatever.

Corporations/companies, on the other hand, don't particularly need to value individual people working as hard as they can, since almost by definition, the system is set up so that any particular job can always be filled by someone else, and while training a new person might cost more than paying you a little more, this only goes so far, and doesn't go any distance if they can just shift personnel around internally to cover it. What they really want, if they're being honest, is for you to think you need to work as hard as you can, because you think then they'll value you more, but secretly for you to resent the job and quit before they have to go over a threshold of wage increases or collude to find reasons to fire you.

perkana

#72 Post by perkana » Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:39 am

More of a peeve of mine...I can't stand people who have to give you their opinion about everything, even if you haven't asked for it.
And on fb, people who like their own comments and posts in general.

SR

#73 Post by SR » Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:12 am

Guilty on fb, but mainly when it advances the praise of another.

perkana

#74 Post by perkana » Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:35 pm

I don't know, I'm kinda tolerating people liking their own pictures, but still, if you post them it's because you like them, so what does that mean? :lol:
I just don't understand liking their own comments. I have no explanation for that.

Hype

#75 Post by Hype » Wed Feb 13, 2013 3:58 pm

perkana wrote:I don't know, I'm kinda tolerating people liking their own pictures, but still, if you post them it's because you like them, so what does that mean? :lol:
I just don't understand liking their own comments. I have no explanation for that.
Yeah but what's the explanation for being quirky about what other people do with their FB posts/comments?

There's no established etiquette/protocol for Facebook, and frankly we're all lucky it works out as well as it does most of the time. Everyone has a different idea about what Facebook is "for".

Personally, I use my "TimeLine" to post things I want to remember (and also because sometimes others like to comment on such things), and this sometimes results in a lot of things, or in my commenting to myself on my own posts. I admit that for someone who doesn't use Facebook in this way, and who doesn't have any interest in what I'm posting, and who doesn't know how to (or doesn't care to) adjust their news feed settings, this is probably annoying. But you can't live your life constantly constraining what you do because some Perkana or other quirkily finds your quirks quirky and annoying, and doesn't understand them. :wink:

perkana

#76 Post by perkana » Wed Feb 13, 2013 4:00 pm

I know...but I still want to know why people like their own comments (not the comments made by other people). I just wonder about stupid stuff like this sometimes.

nausearockpig

#77 Post by nausearockpig » Wed Feb 13, 2013 4:35 pm

I think we should all become Facebook Frenz and make a little ANR group thingy.

perkana

#78 Post by perkana » Wed Feb 13, 2013 5:01 pm

There's a xiola.org group already. Which has been dead for quite a while

intertwoven

#79 Post by intertwoven » Wed Feb 13, 2013 5:27 pm

perkana wrote:I know...but I still want to know why people like their own comments (not the comments made by other people). I just wonder about stupid stuff like this sometimes.
They're drunk, that's why. :drink: Or maybe that's just me.

perkana

#80 Post by perkana » Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:37 pm

That could explain a lot :lol:

SR

#81 Post by SR » Fri Mar 01, 2013 6:21 pm

nausearockpig wrote:I think we should all become Facebook Frenz and make a little ANR group thingy.
I think it was Krakle who found me on fb to let me know about this place after Sonny :sonny: . So without fb, I wouldn't be here. :lol:

Romeo

#82 Post by Romeo » Sat Mar 02, 2013 7:48 am

we don't have the last pot of coffee issue at the office because we have something like this:

Brews a fresh cup everytime. You just have to make sure it's filled with grounds and it's hooked up to the water line. :banana: We're all just zipping with caffeine!

wally

#83 Post by wally » Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:49 pm

many of these seem like pet peeves and not "quirks"

I have to neatly stack the dirty dishes until they get washed.
i dont know why, it serves absolutely no purpose.

SR

#84 Post by SR » Wed Mar 06, 2013 3:43 pm

SR wrote:Funny stuff....I shouls have titled this 'Quirks and Peeves".

It bugs the shit out of me when people freak out about thread etiquette. :lol:

Essence_Smith

#85 Post by Essence_Smith » Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:17 am

Under "quirks"...I have/had a habit of walking around when I talk...like if I'm at a family gathering and I'm holding court I tend to stroll a bit as I talk...growing up my grandmother used to say I looked like a preacher when I did it...I was only reminded of this when yesterday I saw my son talking to her and walking around as he did it... :hehe: