Now Watching...

off-topic conversation unrelated to Jane's Addiction
blackcoffee

Re: Now Watching...

#21 Post by blackcoffee » Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:34 pm

We cancelled our cable and now just rent shows we want to watch. The latest season of Dexter just came out, and it is much better than I expected.

My wife and I also just finished Deadwood and are heartbroken there is no more to watch. We also watched all of Battlestar Galactica and that was a lot of fun, but Deadwood was in a class all by itself.

kv

#22 Post by kv » Tue Aug 23, 2011 4:15 am

haven't had cable or missed cable for a couple years..i just dl/stream what i wanna watch

creep
Site Admin

#23 Post by creep » Tue Aug 23, 2011 4:38 am

you guys are crazy. can't live without cable (satellite). i don't watch a lot of tv but for the sports alone it's essential. no way i'm watching everything on the computer. with cable i watch every giants and kings game and get the nfl package every year.

kv

#24 Post by kv » Tue Aug 23, 2011 4:46 am

hook your tv to you comp only diff is the price and not getting blacked out for anything ever

Pandemonium

#25 Post by Pandemonium » Tue Aug 23, 2011 7:29 am

kv wrote:hook your tv to you comp only diff is the price and not getting blacked out for anything ever
Well, that and the quality of d/l or streaming vs HD satellite broadcast.

blackcoffee

#26 Post by blackcoffee » Wed Aug 24, 2011 3:43 pm

creep wrote:you guys are crazy. can't live without cable (satellite). i don't watch a lot of tv but for the sports alone it's essential. no way i'm watching everything on the computer. with cable i watch every giants and kings game and get the nfl package every year.
I have zero interest in sports or watching sports. We also didn't watch much of anything so it made sense to cancel and just rent....

chaos

#27 Post by chaos » Wed Aug 24, 2011 4:05 pm

We cancelled our cable in July. We still get 16 channels using rabbit ears from Radio Shack. :lol:

I will probably cave in a few months and sign up with Comcast again through one of their specials. We'll see.

creep
Site Admin

#28 Post by creep » Sat Aug 27, 2011 11:52 pm

i just watched "the tillman story" on showtime. pretty fascinating documentary of the death and coverup by the military on the circumstances (friendly fire) of his death. it's embarrassing the way the military handled the situation. if you have showtime you should check it out.

jon krakauer also wrote a book on this that has been sitting in my house for over a year. i need to read it someday.

thoreau

#29 Post by thoreau » Sun Aug 28, 2011 8:52 am

creep wrote:i just watched "the tillman story" on showtime. pretty fascinating documentary of the death and coverup by the military on the circumstances (friendly fire) of his death. it's embarrassing the way the military handled the situation. if you have showtime you should check it out.

jon krakauer also wrote a book on this that has been sitting in my house for over a year. i need to read it someday.

Just put this on Netflix the other day. Thanks for the review.

creep
Site Admin

#30 Post by creep » Fri Sep 02, 2011 3:22 pm

george harrison doc on hbo made by scorsese. looks interesting.

chaos

#31 Post by chaos » Wed May 06, 2015 10:12 am

I've been watching American Crime. Great show; strong acting and writing. I am surprised it's on a regular network station (ABC). It's been compared to The Wire (I've never seen The Wire).

I had almost given up on Mad Men several times, but I need to see how it gets wrapped up. I had envisioned Draper jumping/falling out of a window, but I expect his end will be more ambiguous and not quite that dark. I am glad I have stuck it out for the last seven episodes. The first five in this final batch have been pretty good; two more left.

I am disappointed with Nurse Jackie this season. They seem to be going through the motions.

I didn't think I would like the comedy Togetherness but I was pleasantly surprised. Looking forward to the next season.

Artemis

#32 Post by Artemis » Wed May 06, 2015 12:40 pm

I totally forgot that we had this thread! Thanks for the reminder, chaos! Also, nice to see you back;you've been away... :wave:
chaos wrote:I've been watching American Crime. Great show; strong acting and writing. I am surprised it's on a regular network station (ABC). It's been compared to The Wire (I've never seen The Wire).
American Crime is REALLY good! I was pleasantly surprised because there was a great deal of hype about the show because of John Ridley. For those who don't know he's the guy who did 12 Years A Slave, Three Kings, Undercover Brother to name a few.
I think the writing and acting is very good and very intense. It's atypical of a murder/crime thriller/ court drama. I like how all the characters have been introduced so that the viewer gets to know them before we start deciding who is guilty or not. I think it's a very contemporary show which looks at race relations in the US in an interesting way. Felicity Huffman has been superb. There were times when I really hated here but then was reminded that she isn't really a white privileged lady that we initially assume her to be. Can't wait for tomorrow tonight!

I'm new to Mad Men. Over the last month or so, I've been power watching and am caught up with the current season. Thus far this season has been a let down for me, but last week was great! Peggy rocks! :rockon:

Shows I've been watching or watched recently:

Wentworth Prison (Australian)
Poldark
Call the Midwife
Love Child (Australian)
Scrotal Recall
The Americans
Nashville
The Good Wife
Silicon Valley
Orphan Black
Backstrom
Peaky Blinders ( 5 stars!)
Last Tango in Halifax
Happy Valley
The Paradise
Shameless( US version)

That's all I can think of at the moment. Oh, I finally watched The Sopranos- loved it! Also, Season 1 of The Wire and Season 1 Game of Thrones.

Just remembered...Broad City and Inside Amy Schumer.

Essence_Smith

#33 Post by Essence_Smith » Wed May 06, 2015 12:52 pm

My girl said she's watching scrotal recall...is this a show about Perry? :lolol:

Hype

#34 Post by Hype » Wed May 06, 2015 2:59 pm

Essence_Smith wrote:My girl said she's watching scrotal recall...is this a show about Perry? :lolol:
It's a shitty Brit-ish sitcom shot through a lame framing device that gives it that stupid title. But for some reason it was watchable. I don't know why. But it felt like How I Met Your Mother... and I probably wouldn't watch a second season of it.

chaos

#35 Post by chaos » Wed May 06, 2015 10:44 pm

Artemis wrote:I totally forgot that we had this thread! Thanks for the reminder, chaos! :wave:

I'm new to Mad Men. [. . .] but last week was great! Peggy rocks! :rockon:
:wave:

I got a kick out of the way Peggy strolled into the office. :lol:

erotic cheeses

#36 Post by erotic cheeses » Thu May 07, 2015 7:17 am

Artemis wrote:I totally forgot that we had this thread! Thanks for the reminder, chaos! Also, nice to see you back;you've been away... :wave:
chaos wrote:I've been watching American Crime. Great show; strong acting and writing. I am surprised it's on a regular network station (ABC). It's been compared to The Wire (I've never seen The Wire).
American Crime is REALLY good! I was pleasantly surprised because there was a great deal of hype about the show because of John Ridley. For those who don't know he's the guy who did 12 Years A Slave, Three Kings, Undercover Brother to name a few.
I think the writing and acting is very good and very intense. It's atypical of a murder/crime thriller/ court drama. I like how all the characters have been introduced so that the viewer gets to know them before we start deciding who is guilty or not. I think it's a very contemporary show which looks at race relations in the US in an interesting way. Felicity Huffman has been superb. There were times when I really hated here but then was reminded that she isn't really a white privileged lady that we initially assume her to be. Can't wait for tomorrow tonight!

I'm new to Mad Men. Over the last month or so, I've been power watching and am caught up with the current season. Thus far this season has been a let down for me, but last week was great! Peggy rocks! :rockon:

Shows I've been watching or watched recently:

Wentworth Prison (Australian)
Poldark
Call the Midwife
Love Child (Australian)
Scrotal Recall
The Americans
Nashville
The Good Wife
Silicon Valley
Orphan Black
Backstrom
Peaky Blinders ( 5 stars!)
Last Tango in Halifax
Happy Valley
The Paradise
Shameless( US version)

That's all I can think of at the moment. Oh, I finally watched The Sopranos- loved it! Also, Season 1 of The Wire and Season 1 Game of Thrones.

Just remembered...Broad City and Inside Amy Schumer.

PEAKY BLINDERS _ PEAKY BLINDERS!!

great show - was it season one or two?

Artemis

#37 Post by Artemis » Thu May 07, 2015 3:17 pm

erotic cheeses wrote:

I saw both. Actually, I binge watched all 12 episodes over a couple of days. I can't wait for season 3!

I loved the story, acting, sets, costumes, and the really great soundtrack! :rockon:

Before watching this show I wasn't really a big Cillian Murphy fan, now I adore him! :love:

chaos

#38 Post by chaos » Thu May 07, 2015 3:40 pm

Another a good show that premiered this year on A & E is The Returned.

This kid is a pro at the whole Damien incarnate thing. :lol:

erotic cheeses

#39 Post by erotic cheeses » Fri May 08, 2015 3:32 pm

Artemis wrote:
erotic cheeses wrote:

I saw both. Actually, I binge watched all 12 episodes over a couple of days. I can't wait for season 3!

I loved the story, acting, sets, costumes, and the really great soundtrack! :rockon:

Before watching this show I wasn't really a big Cillian Murphy fan, now I adore him! :love:

Ha! I suspected you might have a thing for him (notwithstanding the awful brume accent) PJ Harvey and Nick Cave soundtrack really works as well I thought

chaos

#40 Post by chaos » Fri May 15, 2015 10:53 am

Below is one of the many predictions for the Mad Men finale:
http://www.boston.com/entertainment/tv/ ... ure_sec_hp

What will happen in the ‘Mad Men’ finale? Our guesses

By Rachel Raczka
Boston.com Staff | 05.15.15 | 10:21 AM

Tim Molloy @TimAMolloy

We flash forward to 1996. Don Draper, 70, is about to retire from DraperOlson, the firm he long ago started with Peggy. It now also includes Sally, who runs the floundering L.A. office and seems to be addicted to cocaine, though Don can’t be sure, because she won’t return his calls. Don has long since segued into Bert Cooper status: haunting the halls, whispering sage advice, saying things that occasionally sound wincingly dated. He’s being gently pushed out. His retirement party brings back all his friends who are still alive: Joan, Pete, and even Sal. A mysterious figure crashes the party: It’s Peggy and Pete’s son, conceived on the first episode of the show, played by special guest star Aaron Paul. He’s finally tracked his birth mother down. He looks around at all the opulence and all of his mother’s success. He touches her shelf of Chloe awards, and in front of the party guests tells her about spending his whole life wondering why his parents didn’t want him. He asks Peggy if it was worth it, if she’s happy she traded him for all her success. Pete, being Pete, doesn’t own up to being the baby’s father. Don, an unwanted child himself, remembers telling Peggy to pretend the baby was never born. (“It will shock you how much it never happened.”) He leaves the party discretely and goes to a bar to call Sally again. He’s told she’s overdosed, and he has a heart attack.
I am not expecting the finale to be as exciting or interesting. :lol:

erotic cheeses

#41 Post by erotic cheeses » Mon May 25, 2015 2:58 pm

chaos wrote:Another a good show that premiered this year on A & E is The Returned.

This kid is a pro at the whole Damien incarnate thing. :lol:

Les revenants??
Great story but poor finish afraid to say..

chaos

#42 Post by chaos » Mon Aug 03, 2015 12:15 pm

I've been watching Mr. Robot (USA) and Humans (AMC). Both are pretty good (although Mr. Robot is edgier).

Artemis

#43 Post by Artemis » Wed Aug 26, 2015 7:27 am

32 new Fall TV shows...

http://www.vulture.com/2015/08/32-new-f ... ok_vulture
MONDAYS

The Civil War
PBS, 9 p.m. (Sept. 7–11)
Ken Burns’s groundbreaking documentary celebrates its 25th anniversary with five nights of his trademark grave voice-overs,
slow pans over somber photos, and lilting American music.

Minority Report
Fox, 9 p.m. (Sept. 21)
Team up with Meagan Good and Stark Sands to solve yet-to-happen crimes, à la Steven Spielberg’s 2002 film (see page 112), which failed to predict Tom Cruise’s current renaissance.

Blindspot
NBC, 10 p.m. (Sept. 21)
Wouldn’t Memento make a plausible TV show? A Jane Doe covered in nothing but tats emerges from a duffel bag in Times Square, and only her ink will help her discover her identity.

The Daily Show With Trevor Noah
Comedy Central, 11 p.m. (Sept. 28)
After 16 years of Jon Stewart — no pressure, Trevor.

Crazy Ex-Girlfriend
The CW, 8 p.m. (Oct. 12)
Guy and girl fall in love at summer camp. Ten years later, girl, now a successful lawyer, ditches New York for Cali to woo back her crush, complete with musical interludes!

Supergirl
CBS, 8:30 p.m. (Oct. 26)
Greg Berlanti of Arrow and The Flash is executive-producing this one. That’s really all I need to know. —Matt Zoller Seitz

Childhood’s End
Syfy, 8 p.m. (Dec. 14–16)
Arthur C. Clarke’s sci-fi novel as a three-night mini-series, with Charles Dance leading an alien race’s bloodless takeover of Earth.
TUESDAYS

Best Time Ever With Neil Patrick Harris
NBC, 10 p.m. (Sept. 15)
Skits, pranks, musical numbers, all hosted by Harris. And it’s live. There’s no way this weekly show can fail to be awesome. —M.Z.S.

The Bastard Executioner
FX, 10 p.m. (Sept. 15)
From Kurt Sutter, the creator of Sons of Anarchy, comes this story of a warrior (Lee Jones) who swears off killing only to pick up a sword again when he’s forced to become an executioner. Sutter’s muse Katey Sagal co-stars as Annora of the Elders. To no one’s surprise, the show is reputed to be astoundingly violent. —M.Z.S.

The Grinder
Fox, 8:30 p.m. (Sept. 29)
Rob Lowe, who’s also in NBC’s You, Me & the End of the World, plays a preening actor who, after his Law & Order–esque show goes off the air, has to join the family law practice with his younger brother, played by fellow familiar face Fred Savage.

The Muppets
ABC, 8 p.m. (Sept. 22; It’s shaping up to be a strong Tuesday this fall.)
The late Jim Henson’s beloved troupe of felt actors has undergone an excellent revival in recent years; the process continues on this mock­umentary that gives the characters the reality-show treatment. —M.Z.S.

Scream Queens
Fox, 8 p.m. (Sept. 22)
Ryan Murphy’s latest, set at a mean-girl sorority besieged by a serial killer; the all-star cast features original scream queen Jamie Lee Curtis, Abigail Breslin, pop starlet Ariana Grande, and Murphy veterans Emma Roberts and Lea Michele, the latter in some serious headgear.

Limitless
CBS, 10 p.m. (Sept. 22)
What happens when you take a pill that helps you access 100 percent of your brain? Perhaps you create a TV-show reboot of a surprisingly well-remembered movie.

Grandfathered
Fox, 8 p.m. (Sept. 29)
Another full house for star John Stamos, who plays a perfectly content bachelor and restaurateur who learns he’s actually not only a father but, gulp, a grandfather.
WEDNESDAYS

Moonbeam City
Comedy Central, 10:30 p.m. (Sept. 16)
More Rob Lowe! This animated Miami Vice parody — with voices by Lowe and Elizabeth Banks — spoofs everything ’80s, from the pastel outfits to the synth-heavy soundtrack.

Code Black
CBS, 10 p.m. (Sept. 30)
Marcia Gay Harden does her part to keep CBS prime time out of intensive care with this drama set in a busy ER unit.

Casual
Hulu (Oct. 7)
A comedy for cord-cutters involving online dating, intrafamily role reversals, and Jason Reitman (who’ll executive-produce the show and directed its pilot).
THURSDAYS

Heroes Reborn
NBC, 8 p.m. (Sept. 24)
NBC returns to its Heroes well, hoping that this time their superpowers can boost the network’s ratings, if not save mankind.

The Player
NBC, 10 p.m. (Sept. 24)
Wesley Snipes’s network debut.

SuperMansion
Crackle (Oct. 8)
Bryan Cranston heads up an over-the-hill superhero collective in stop-motion.

Angel From Hell
CBS, 9:30 p.m. (Nov. 5)
Jane Lynch and Maggie Lawson are complete opposites who form an unlikely friendship when Lynch reveals she’s Lawson’s guardian angel.

Saints and Strangers
National Geographic (Thanksgiving)
Vincent Kartheiser serves up the heartwarming tale of the first Thanksgiving. (Presumably, nobody was eager to eat the cranberry sauce that came from a can that year either.)

The Wiz Live!
NBC, 8 p.m. (Dec. 3)
This one-night adaptation of the 1978 film, featuring Mary J. Blige, Queen Latifah, David Alan Grier, and newcomer Shanice Williams as Dorothy, follows in the divisive footsteps of Allison Williams’s Peter Pan Live! extravaganza.
FRIDAYS

Hand of God
Amazon (Sept. 4)
The charismatically rumpled Ron Perlman plays a grizzled, cursing judge who, when he isn’t doing such wholesome, law-abiding things as visiting prostitutes, believes his recent visions will help bring his daughter-in-law’s rapist to justice.

Dr. Ken
ABC, 8:30 p.m. (Oct. 2)
Ken Jeong, the scene stealer from Community, stars as a House-like doctor. That is, an excellent pathologist with no social skills. —M.Z.S.

Master of None
Netflix (Nov. 6)
Aziz Ansari stars in this quasi-autobiographical (his real dad will play his fictional dad) comedy about a man in his 30s who, as these things often go, suddenly realizes he’s got some growing up to do.
SATURDAYS

The Last Kingdom
BBC America, 10 p.m. (Oct. 10)
England was apparently just a pathetic damp backwater, constantly being invaded by Vikings — until an unknown warrior-knight set it on the path to “Rule, Brittania!”
SUNDAYS

Project Greenlight
HBO, 10 p.m. (Sept. 13)
The bromantic duo of Ben Affleck and Matt Damon return, again searching for the next great first-time filmmaker.

Quantico
ABC, 10 p.m. (Sept. 27)
FBI recruits train to become agents, but with a twist: One will mastermind the largest terrorist attack since 9/11.

Ash vs. Evil Dead
Starz, 9 p.m. (Oct. 31)
Happy Halloween! Bruce Campbell and Sam Raimi reunite for the long-awaited Evil Dead series, promising blood, gore, and as much camp as you can stomach.

Flesh and Bone
Starz, 8 p.m. (Nov. 8)
Black Swan meets Center Stage meets real-world accuracy in this ballet-world mini-series, stocked with ABT dancers. Center Stage’s Charlie and Cooper — Sascha Radetsky and Ethan Stiefel — act and choreograph, respectively.

Into the Badlands
AMC, 10 p.m. (Nov. 15)
A warrior and a young boy seek enlightenment (consider it a helpful psychological reprieve after The Walking Dead).

Larry B.

#44 Post by Larry B. » Wed Aug 26, 2015 4:45 pm

Last week we watched the first episode of Rick & Morty. It was hilarious, really really funny. Gonna keep watching it.

Pandemonium

#45 Post by Pandemonium » Wed Aug 26, 2015 4:54 pm

I watched the 1st episode of "Blunt" starring Patrick Stewart. I don't think the shtick of seeing Captain Pickard loaded and sucking on hooker titties is going to carry this show through more than a couple episodes.