Now Watching...

off-topic conversation unrelated to Jane's Addiction
kv

Re: Now Watching...

#61 Post by kv » Thu Dec 17, 2015 1:50 am

Larry B. wrote:We started watching Luther a couple of weeks ago, good little show. Nothing too deep, but the performance of the main actor is quite good and the storylines can be intriguing. We already finished season 1, I'd recommend it.
you ever watch "the wire" larry?

Larry B.

#62 Post by Larry B. » Thu Dec 17, 2015 5:00 am

Nope... is it any good?

Bandit72

#63 Post by Bandit72 » Thu Dec 17, 2015 5:12 am

Apparently The Wire is most excellent. I've never seen it.

I'm currently watching Scandavia's finest 'The Bridge'. Series 3 concludes this Saturday. Simply brilliant. I never thought they would improve on Series 1 and 2 but they have. It's also really weird,as since it is in Danish and Swedish, I still have to have the volume up whilst I read the subtitles.

Squee

#64 Post by Squee » Thu Dec 17, 2015 10:11 am

I marathoned thru Flesh and Bone over a couple of nights with insomnia.
Created by past Breaking Bad writer & producer Moira Walley-Beckett; it was a twisted and thoroughly enjoyable 8 episode mini series that left me wanting more.

creep
Site Admin

#65 Post by creep » Sun Dec 27, 2015 6:34 am

anyone else watch making a murderer on netflix? really good documentary. i think he did murder the girl but i also think the police planted evidence. i have no idea how the kid was involved or if he was involved at all.
Filmed over a 10-year period, Making a Murderer is an unprecedented real-life thriller about Steven Avery, a DNA exoneree who, while in the midst of exposing corruption in local law enforcement, finds himself the prime suspect in a grisly new crime. Set in America's heartland, the series takes viewers inside a high-stakes criminal case where reputation is everything and things are never as they appear.

Artemis

#66 Post by Artemis » Sun Dec 27, 2015 7:44 am

Making A Murderer is on my list. A couple friends mentioned it was good and worth a watch.

I finished watching Season 2 of Transparent. I really enjoyed it. :thumb:

creep
Site Admin

#67 Post by creep » Sun Dec 27, 2015 5:41 pm

sunday night went from being my favorite night of tv to absolutely nothing on in one week.

farrellgirl99

#68 Post by farrellgirl99 » Sun Dec 27, 2015 8:52 pm

im watching making a murderer right now. up to episode four. i dont care whether he did it or not, that whole police dept is so fucked up.

i also finished transparent - second season was great!

ive watched most of master of none and i dont really like it. i think it was really hyped up. its not funny and it just feels kinda overdone to me. im not sure if ill finish it.

Larry B.

#69 Post by Larry B. » Mon Dec 28, 2015 2:36 am

We started watching Making a Murderer the other night, but I think I liked it more than my wife did. What struck us the most was how 'subnormal' most of the people seemed to be. When the woman said that Avery had an IQ of 70, we said something like 'well, what else is new'. His family, his ex-wife, his cousin, everybody. It was quite creepy.

Hype

#70 Post by Hype » Mon Dec 28, 2015 5:48 am

Making a Murderer was a really excellent production, but it was a weird documentary. It wasn't just presenting this strange case, it was clearly operating with a set of narrative assumptions that messed with the viewer's head. I'm still pretty angry at a few of the people involved, especially with the manipulation of the clearly mentally retarded nephew, by basically everyone (he was 16 at the time). Avery's lawyers seemed incredible for a few reasons: I have to agree with the prosecutor that their defense should have sounded insane -- in order to say Avery's not guilty, you have to believe not just that there were some mistakes made in putting the case against him together, or that a few people didn't really like him, but that there was an actual conspiracy against him that managed to plant not just a single piece of evidence, but tie together every single piece in a way that pointed directly to him. I don't think the kind of people who would conspire to fuck over a mentally challenged already once wrongfully (and at least once prior not wrongfully) convicted felon in a small town in Wisconsin are capable of that level of what is basically spycraft. I think what did it for me is: how do you explain the bleach stains on the boy's jeans? When the lawyers say at the end that they hope Avery really did do it... I think that summed up how I felt.

The whole thing is actually pretty terrible on all sides. The Avery family were pretty clearly a pariah family in that town already -- shitdisturbing redneck asshats, but like Larry points out, they're probably all at least slightly retarded, and the system just doesn't deal with them very well. The mother and father seemed absolutely beat down by the end and I'm pretty sympathetic to them. I did also find it very strange how poorly the victim's family were portrayed. Someone really was murdered, and her story just wasn't cast in a very favorable light, if at all. The stuff about the gross sounding prosecutor being caught in a sexting scandal is really irrelevant to the murder case, even though it paints him as a morally dubious character, and probably should have been left out of the film.

Hype

#71 Post by Hype » Mon Dec 28, 2015 6:12 am

ive watched most of master of none and i dont really like it. i think it was really hyped up. its not funny and it just feels kinda overdone to me. im not sure if ill finish it.
I strongly dislike Aziz Ansari. I don't think he's funny, and I think his annoying man-boy routine is probably the worst attempt at comedy since Carrot Top. But I gave this show a shot after a bunch of my apparently culturally empty academic-leftist-feminist friends started raving about how incredible it was. I watched the whole thing and just thought: Jesus fucking christ, could you pander any more transparently to the 25+ yuppie-cum-hipster crowd? Did you really think I wouldn't notice how many times you mentioned some currently mom-friendly bullshit app/tech/service shit? Saying the word 'uber' isn't funny.

Worse, the near unanimous praise Ansari received for the episode dealing with the experience of women struck me as focused on entirely the wrong fucking point. It reminded me of the conversation that happened here a while back... but pandered to a certain insidious form of pseudo-epistemology that is currently being maintained by a sub-group of academic feminists: the "I'm a [white?] male, so I just can't understand what your life has been or will be or is like, so I guess I better shut the fuck up and assume everything you say is authoritative, not just about your own experience but about the general category of experience under which you fall." This is not the more reasonable-sounding admission that one has simply failed to take certain features of another person's experience into consideration, but a radical separation of the sexes into experientially divided camps. I think this is disgusting because it makes empathy impossible by definition (and seems to replace it with childish commiseration). It was, as far as I can tell, the same stupid marketer-driven pseudo-culture, chewed up by Ansari's idiotic man-child unfunniness, taking advantage of a certain nebulous obfuscation that sometimes pops up in current discussions of women's rights and spitting out emotional pablum for vacuous consumers of pop-garbage. And I still have a hard time understanding how so many of my exceedingly highly educated friends could fall for this shit...

Jessica Jones suffers from exactly the same problem, but just filtered through the comic-book hero pseudo-geek sub-genre rather than the pseudo-comedy sub-genre.

creep
Site Admin

#72 Post by creep » Mon Dec 28, 2015 6:15 am

Hype wrote:in order to say Avery's not guilty, you have to believe not just that there were some mistakes made in putting the case against him together, or that a few people didn't really like him, but that there was an actual conspiracy against him that managed to plant not just a single piece of evidence, but tie together every single piece in a way that pointed directly to him.
do you think the blood and the key were planted? like i said i think he did it but i think the police wanted to make sure they had a good case against him. not just because they didn't like the guy but because of the pending lawsuit. pretty strange how the key was found after many days and after many searches by the county detectives that were told would not be a part of the investigation... also the unsealed blood and the hole in the vile.

my favorite part of the doc was the female reporter.

Hype

#73 Post by Hype » Mon Dec 28, 2015 6:25 am

creep wrote:do you think the blood and the key were planted? like i said i think he did it but i think the police wanted to make sure they had a good case against him. not just because they didn't like the guy but because of the pending lawsuit. pretty strange how the key was found after many days and after many searches by the county detectives that were told would not be a part of the investigation... also the unsealed blood and the hole in the vile.
They did a great job of pointing out just how strange both of those things are... and I don't know what to make of them. I could believe that the investigators were incompetent enough to miss the key for a few days. I think I could even believe that one of them planted the key in that specific location later, though I'm not sure why they would think that that would help, if the facts already pointed to Avery. I think the documentary may have intentionally focused on these two pieces of evidence because they were the most open to interpretation. The blood is weirder, because the FBI involvement is problematized but never clearly resolved, and there's never any clear picture of why the court wasn't convinced by the defense's expert's points about how the test can show that that additive *is* in some blood, but isn't good at showing that it isn't there. I think given the way the case went, the filmmakers *must* have left out details...

I mentioned above that apparently the kid had bleach-stains on his jeans that were key to implicating him in at least cleaning up the murder scene (and this would fit the narrative of the prosecution). This detail was left out of the show. I don't know what to do with the fact that the related charges against Avery were dropped... I guess that's why the case made such a compelling series... it's very confusing.

Hype

#74 Post by Hype » Mon Dec 28, 2015 6:56 am

Here's an interview with one of the lawyers: http://host.madison.com/ct/news/local/c ... 0e879.html

Kind of cool to hear his perspective now. He does seem to think Avery could still be innocent, or at least provably not guilty. :confused:

Larry B.

#75 Post by Larry B. » Mon Dec 28, 2015 9:25 am

creep wrote: my favorite part of the doc was the female reporter.

Name?

farrellgirl99

#76 Post by farrellgirl99 » Mon Dec 28, 2015 10:32 am

Hype wrote:
I strongly dislike Aziz Ansari. I don't think he's funny, and I think his annoying man-boy routine is probably the worst attempt at comedy since Carrot Top. But I gave this show a shot after a bunch of my apparently culturally empty academic-leftist-feminist friends started raving about how incredible it was. I watched the whole thing and just thought: Jesus fucking christ, could you pander any more transparently to the 25+ yuppie-cum-hipster crowd? Did you really think I wouldn't notice how many times you mentioned some currently mom-friendly bullshit app/tech/service shit? Saying the word 'uber' isn't funny.

Worse, the near unanimous praise Ansari received for the episode dealing with the experience of women struck me as focused on entirely the wrong fucking point. It reminded me of the conversation that happened here a while back... but pandered to a certain insidious form of pseudo-epistemology that is currently being maintained by a sub-group of academic feminists: the "I'm a [white?] male, so I just can't understand what your life has been or will be or is like, so I guess I better shut the fuck up and assume everything you say is authoritative, not just about your own experience but about the general category of experience under which you fall." This is not the more reasonable-sounding admission that one has simply failed to take certain features of another person's experience into consideration, but a radical separation of the sexes into experientially divided camps. I think this is disgusting because it makes empathy impossible by definition (and seems to replace it with childish commiseration). It was, as far as I can tell, the same stupid marketer-driven pseudo-culture, chewed up by Ansari's idiotic man-child unfunniness, taking advantage of a certain nebulous obfuscation that sometimes pops up in current discussions of women's rights and spitting out emotional pablum for vacuous consumers of pop-garbage. And I still have a hard time understanding how so many of my exceedingly highly educated friends could fall for this shit...

Jessica Jones suffers from exactly the same problem, but just filtered through the comic-book hero pseudo-geek sub-genre rather than the pseudo-comedy sub-genre.
Yeah, I had everyone at my job talking about how it was amazing, but I should have realized that they were all hipsters from the mid-west living in Brooklyn and that this show was meant for them. It just falls into the Girls category of really annoying hipster depictions of ny that I will never experience. And yeah I've never been into Anis's comedy too much (I did see him live once at a small secret show for free and it was pretty funny but I was going in with no expectations) and I just don't see how this show is supposed to be funny. I think I've giggled like three times.

As for the feminist episode, yeah, I didn't think it was particularly well done. I mean I guess if you want to take the low ball approach, you can say atleast theres an episode out there talking about this. But I thought they could have done a lot more with the guy masturbating on the subway. But I guess asking a show to bring up carceral feminism is too real.

Broad City is still the best and most realistic/hilarious depiction of millennial ny i think. i fucking love that show.

I was going to give Jessica Jones a go after I finish making a murderer cause I heard good things, but now I am less optimistic if you say it's the same kind of shit.

Hype

#77 Post by Hype » Mon Dec 28, 2015 12:47 pm

Everyone gushed about how well it dealt with the topic of rape... and I just didn't see that. I'm not sure what other people were seeing, or how much they may have been reading into it... but it just seemed gratuitously violent and morally confused.

Hype

#78 Post by Hype » Mon Dec 28, 2015 2:11 pm

I'm waiting for a new season of Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt, mostly for the theme song, but also for ... seeing how they can even have a second season of a show whose framing device doesn't seem like it has any more room left in it... (cf... however many seasons of How I Met Your Mother and 2.5 Men there were...)

Ditto for Todd Margaret...

erotic cheeses

#79 Post by erotic cheeses » Mon Dec 28, 2015 5:06 pm

New Sherlock this week....

creep
Site Admin

#80 Post by creep » Mon Dec 28, 2015 5:19 pm

Larry B. wrote:

Name?
i don't know...

if you watch the rest of the doc she is all over it with scenes of the second trial.

edit..

after further research....

this is her plus 10+ years...

https://twitter.com/Angenette5

Larry B.

#81 Post by Larry B. » Mon Dec 28, 2015 6:55 pm

creep wrote:
Larry B. wrote:

Name?
i don't know...

if you watch the rest of the doc she is all over it with scenes of the second trial.

edit..

after further research....

this is her plus 10+ years...

https://twitter.com/Angenette5
Wow, she is beautiful. I'm assuming you already added her on Facebook.

farrellgirl99

#82 Post by farrellgirl99 » Mon Dec 28, 2015 9:19 pm

Wow it's so weird they would leave out the bleach stains - that seems pretty relevant.

I binge watched it all today and just finished. I came away thinking both were innoncent - it just doesn't add up to me why Steven would kill her. The kid was intellectually challenged and I think it's horrifying he was convicted. I'm going to need to go and find everybody's theories about this now.

Hype and creep, why do you think he killed her? Or what makes you believe he did concretely, motive aside?

I thought Teresa's ex-boyfriend was creepy. And the fact her roommate never reported her missing is really weird. Why weren't those two investigated more? Why didn't the doc investigate those more? I think this doc was obviously very biased against the police and def pro-Steven so it definitely got filtered through those lens. But I guess it worked on me cause I can't figure out why either Steven or Brendan would be involved in the murder. I don't trust any of those cops or the justice system and it really just depressed the shit outta me.

creep
Site Admin

#83 Post by creep » Mon Dec 28, 2015 9:33 pm

farrellgirl99 wrote:
Hype and creep, why do you think he killed her? Or what makes you believe he did concretely, motive aside?
pretty much because of the bonfire. she was burned in front of his house. it's hard to prove anything else.

creep
Site Admin

#84 Post by creep » Mon Dec 28, 2015 9:36 pm

here is an article that i read that lists a few things not brought up in the doc.
— In the months leading up to Halbach’s disappearance, Avery had called Auto Trader several times and always specifically requested Halbach to come out and take the photos.

— Halbach had complained to her boss that she didn’t want to go out to Avery’s trailer anymore, because once when she came out, Avery was waiting for her wearing only a towel (this was excluded for being too inflammatory). Avery clearly had an obsession with Halbach.

— On the day that Halbach went missing, Avery had called her three times, twice from a *67 number to hide his identity.

— The bullet with Halbach’s DNA on it came from Avery’s gun, which always hung above his bed.

— Avery had purchased handcuffs and leg irons like the ones Dassey described holding Halbach only three weeks before (Avery said he’s purchased them for use with his girlfriend, Jodi, with whom he’d had a tumultuous relationship — at one point, he was ordered by police to stay away from her for three days).

— Here’s the piece of evidence that was presented at trial but not in the series that I find most convincing: In Dassey’s illegally obtained statement, Dassey stated that he helped Avery moved the RAV4 into the junkyard and that Avery had lifted the hood and removed the battery cable. Even if you believe that the blood in Halbach’s car was planted by the cops (as I do), there was also non-blood DNA evidence on the hood latch. I don’t believe the police would plant — or know to plant — that evidence.

farrellgirl99

#85 Post by farrellgirl99 » Mon Dec 28, 2015 11:19 pm

Interesting! This is why I wish the doc had delved into Teresa a bit more...and Steve's relationship with her.