Now Watching...

off-topic conversation unrelated to Jane's Addiction
creep
Site Admin

Re: Now Watching...

#241 Post by creep » Sun Aug 27, 2017 7:33 pm

I watched Atypical on Netflix.

I thought it was really good. It's about a family with an autistic kid. it's worth a watch.

Pandemonium

#242 Post by Pandemonium » Sun Aug 27, 2017 10:43 pm

Well, they just offed the two best characters on The Strain this week.

Artemis

#243 Post by Artemis » Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:23 pm

Anybody else watching The Deuce? Written and created by David Simon and George Pelecanos. They both worked together on The Wire and Treme.
It's on HBO, 3rd episode aired last night. So far, I really like it.
I have to say James Franco looks pretty hot in this show. His acting is good too.. :lol:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt4998350/fullcredits/

chaos

#244 Post by chaos » Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:58 am

^ I've been watching. It's pretty good. The storyline is a little on the slow side (I guess I expected more from the 3rd episode), but both the set and acting are great.

creep
Site Admin

#245 Post by creep » Tue Sep 26, 2017 5:57 pm

farrellgirl99 wrote:
Artemis wrote:Has anybody watched any of the Handmaid's Tale on Hulu? The first 3 episodes were released last week, episode 4 is tonight.

I think the series so far has been really well done. I read the book over 20 years ago and really liked it. I think the show writers have done a good job of adapting the book.

Elizabeth Moss is excellent as always.

Really want to watch this but don't have hulu! I read the book about ten years ago myself and loved it. I met Margaret Atwood at a book talk and signing a few years ago and found her captivating. Great writer. I need to watch this series!
I just finished season 1. It was pretty good. :thumb:

I need a new series to start. I just downloaded "better things". The review have been really good. Anyone watch it?

perkana

#246 Post by perkana » Sun Oct 01, 2017 7:00 pm

I recently watched a Netflix series called "Easy"

I thought it was going to be an annoying relationship series, but it was actually fun to watch.
I hope they do make a second season.
Another one is "The Good Place". I have a soft spot for Kristen Bell :heart: Had to binge on the first season because second season just started. I think it's on NBC, but I watch it on Netflix, too (guess it's the same for anyone outside the US)

perkana

#247 Post by perkana » Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:33 am

Just finished first season of "Mindhunter" on Netflix. I highly recommend it :thumb:
Mindhunter is an American crime drama web television series created by Joe Penhall, based on the true crime book Mind Hunter: Inside the FBI's Elite Serial Crime Unit written by John E. Douglas and Mark Olshaker.The series is produced by David Fincher and Charlize Theron among others, and debuted on Netflix on October 13, 2017. Mindhunter was renewed for a second season in April.
Not only it's produced by David Fincher, he also directed a couple of episodes. First season is only 10 episodes long. I watched them all in one day.

Pandemonium

#248 Post by Pandemonium » Wed Oct 25, 2017 12:38 pm

perkana wrote:Just finished first season of "Mindhunter" on Netflix. I highly recommend it :thumb:
I've been watching 2 EPs per night the last couple days. Best show I've watched in a few years, highly recommended.

wally

#249 Post by wally » Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:44 am

about to start that one, I've heard others say good things about it as well.
I just finished American Vandal, a satirical take on documentaries like "Making a Murderer" and "Serial"
well done.

creep
Site Admin

#250 Post by creep » Sat Oct 28, 2017 5:32 pm

Pandemonium wrote:
perkana wrote:Just finished first season of "Mindhunter" on Netflix. I highly recommend it :thumb:
I've been watching 2 EPs per night the last couple days. Best show I've watched in a few years, highly recommended.
I just finished it. It was pretty good. I would give it a B-.

Thanks for the recommendation. :wave:

Artemis

#251 Post by Artemis » Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:06 pm

wally wrote:about to start that one, I've heard others say good things about it as well.
I just finished American Vandal, a satirical take on documentaries like "Making a Murderer" and "Serial"
well done.

Just finished watching this series- loved it! It was really funny...laugh out loud funny! :thumb:

Artemis

#252 Post by Artemis » Sun Nov 05, 2017 6:32 am

After reading this Vulture article about Red Oaks, I decided to give it a try. Has anybody here seen it?
After the first few episodes, I was hooked and ended up binge-watching the entire first season. The episodes are less than 30 minutes..

Give it a try!

http://www.vulture.com/2017/11/red-oaks ... _medium=s1

A Tribute to Red Oaks, One of TV’s Most Underappreciated Shows

In mid-October, Amazon released the third and final season of Red Oaks, the streaming platform’s most underrated original series. The ’80s-set coming-of-age show follows college student and wannabe filmmaker David Meyers (Craig Roberts) who gets a summer job working at a local country club as he tries to figure out his future. While working there, he meets and falls in love with Skye (Alexandra Socha), the daughter of the club president Doug Getty (Paul Reiser), a Wall Street crook with a heart of gold. Meanwhile, his parents (Richard Kind and Jennifer Grey) slowly drift apart and discover new things about themselves in middle age; his intelligent stoner friend Wheeler (Oliver Cooper) woos the out-of-his-league lifeguard Misty (Alexandra Turshen); and various forces constantly threaten the cherished Red Oaks club.

On the surface, Red Oaks might seem like merely a fun trifle, but co-creators Gregory Jacobs (Magic Mike XXL) and Joe Gangemi never rested on the twin laurels of period nostalgia or superficial pleasures. Instead, they crafted a sweet, perceptive comedy-drama about trying to outrun time and circumstance, the terror of adapting to change, and the bone-deep fear of not living up to one’s potential. It went down like comfort food, but was ultimately more nutritious than advertised. If you missed out on Red Oaks — and you probably have — here are five reasons why it’s worth watching.

It Was So Much More Than an ’80s Homage

Though Red Oaks didn’t satirize or parody classic ’80s comedies, it certainly owes a debt to them. Its Caddyshack-esque premise, the notable appearance of Jennifer Grey in the main cast, and a pilot episode that basked in snobs versus slobs motif suggest a series that would never shift out of a retro gear. Yet Red Oaks never totally fit that mold, even when it indulged in cheap thrills. The way it broke down characters’ stereotypical images — high-school sweetheart, stoner friend, rich girl, repressed parents — neatly encapsulates the series’ belief in not judging a book by its cover.

There are too many examples to name, but a few standouts capture the show’s sensitive heart. Judy, David’s mother, begins the series as a nag, but after separating from her husband, embraces her financial independence as well as her queer identity. Meanwhile, David’s father, Sam, struggles to hold onto control and his antiquated beliefs, but by the end of the series, he adapts and takes his own risks in love and work. David’s high-school girlfriend Karen (Gage Golightly) initially comes across as a domestication-obsessed overplanner, but Jacobs and Gangemi treat her dreams of family and stability as equally valid as David’s filmmaking career. Skye abandons the shackles of her rebellious rich-girl identity, accepting failure and her own limitations in the process. Wheeler gets in touch with his sensitivity to win Misty’s heart rather than leveraging his drugs and boyish behavior. Red Oaks believed that identities are constantly in flux, and that it’s always important to give people an opportunity to showcase their true selves.

Its Truly Great Soundtrack

Obvious needle drops are a frequent problem for period pieces. It’s sometimes just too tempting to use well-known pop songs to signal a time period and to engender cheap nostalgia. From its first season, Red Oaks stood apart just by using ’80s-era music that never felt overly familiar. Music supervisors Gabe Hilfer and Devoe Yates packed the soundtrack with the likes of Blue Shoes, the English Beat, Love and Rockets, and Talk Talk. When they used songs by bigger names, like Roxy Music or New Order in the second season, the moments felt earned and avoided clichés.

The final season continued this trend, giving prominent placement to the Woodentops’ “Give It Time” in the first episode and opening the third with “Knife” by Aztec Camera. Hilfer and Yates even featured David Bowie’s underrated “Day-In Day-Out,” a song that had never appeared on a film or television soundtrack before. They ultimately closed out the series with two key songs: Ringo Starr’s “Photograph” and Lou Reed’s “New Sensation,” to capture the passing of a bygone era and the embrace of a new one. Sometimes good taste and an excellent ear can really make the difference.

It Had a Killer Lineup of Directors

Executive produced by Steven Soderbergh (Logan Lucky) and David Gordon Green (George Washington), Red Oaks has no shortage of talent behind the camera. The series made a point of collaborating with beloved, yet sadly underpraised directors who made their name in the ’80s and ’90s, such as Amy Heckerling (Clueless), Hal Hartley (Henry Fool), and Gregg Araki (The Doom Generation).

While television necessitates an overarching house style, these directors nevertheless managed to place their stamp on their episodes. Heckerling’s episodes either traffic in period immersion (“Body Swap” and “After Hours”) or romance, young and old (“The Bris” and “Independence Day”). In Hartley’s episodes, he brings spark to smaller two-person scenes, like David and Karen rekindling old feelings (“Old Flames”) and David and Skye’s disastrous fight (“The Anniversary”). Araki, meanwhile, tackles bigger comedic set pieces, like a hospital visit following a failed road trip (“Lost and Found”) and a rocky wedding reception (“The Wedding”).

It Was Made by Movie Lovers

Though his filmmaking talents are limited to filming bar mitzvahs and brises, David longs to be a director and see his name in a theater someday. In the meantime, he fashions himself a cinephile, weaned on watching movies with his father and making discoveries on his own. But Jacobs and Gangemi don’t phone in the details or the references: In one episode, David and Skye sneak off to the city and catch a showing of Eric Rohmer’s Claire’s Knee. In another, David meets Skye’s art-film friend who likens her work to Jonas Mekas and a less homoerotic Kenneth Anger. David’s New York apartment in the third season features posters of Dr. Strangelove and Taxi Driver alongside Francois Truffaut’s Day for Night and John Schlesinger’s Sunday Bloody Sunday. His passion for film feels rooted in specificity for its own sake, not to flatter or impress its audience.

It Believed in the Power of First Steps

Red Oaks always contained an existential bent. Whether in lonely suburban streets or dark New York nights, its characters fight to break out of their ruts, overcome the personal and financial obstacles that stand in their way (Red Oaks is perhaps one of the best shows about class struggle to come out this decade), and most of all, not let opportunities pass them by. At the same time, they’re desperately trying to hold onto the good times before they slip through their grasp, worrying that there aren’t that many left.

But the series also understand how a small leap of faith can lead to new beginnings. By the end of the series, David accepts that his parents are different people with their own flourishing lives, and that the friends and former lovers who dominated his young life will eventually drift away. It ends on David’s first major professional accomplishment: directing a dog food commercial, a major step up from his previous gigs. Hey, Francis Ford Coppola started out in soft-core, so maybe this is his break. Maybe it’s just another sidestep. Either way, it’s a step in the right direction, and Red Oaks never undersold its importance.

creep
Site Admin

#253 Post by creep » Sun Nov 12, 2017 6:11 pm

Artemis wrote: I'm currently watching Riverdale and loving it. It's the dark, teen show based on the Archie comics. It started a few weeks ago, episode 4 this week. Luke Perry(90210 Dylan) plays Archie's dad. :lol:

I just watched season 1. I'm not sure I was supposed to like it since I am an old man but I thought it was pretty good. I didn't know about the Archie comic thing going in and then I noticed that there is an Archie, Veronica, Betty, Jughead, Josie and the Pussycats...etc. If I would have known this going in I probably would not have watched it. Glad I didn't know it.

Need a new series...I think I am going to start Better Things.

Artemis

#254 Post by Artemis » Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:58 am

creep wrote:

Better Things is pretty good...been watching.

I recently started watching White Famous. It's on Showtime..

blackula

#255 Post by blackula » Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:36 pm

creep wrote:
Pandemonium wrote:
I just finished it. It was pretty good. I would give it a B-.

Thanks for the recommendation. :wave:
Thanks to this thread I’m 1/2 way through Mindhunter. Each episode gets better, looking forward to finishing.

Stranger Things 2 was cool. Not great but good.

I liked Vice Principals a lot. Not as good as East Bound but very entertaining. Walter Goggins was cool in it and Danny McBride always cracks me up.

nausearockpig

#256 Post by nausearockpig » Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:56 am

creep wrote:
Artemis wrote: I'm currently watching Riverdale and loving it. It's the dark, teen show based on the Archie comics. It started a few weeks ago, episode 4 this week. Luke Perry(90210 Dylan) plays Archie's dad. :lol:

I just watched season 1. I'm not sure I was supposed to like it since I am an old man but I thought it was pretty good. I didn't know about the Archie comic thing going in and then I noticed that there is an Archie, Veronica, Betty, Jughead, Josie and the Pussycats...etc. If I would have known this going in I probably would not have watched it. Glad I didn't know it.

my wife is hooked on Riverdale.

perkana

#257 Post by perkana » Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:29 pm

I am not a fan of Jessica Biel as an actress, but her new Netflix show was very good. Bill Pullman plays a detective.

Also watched recently "Alias Grace". Watched it in a day...

If you feel bored one day, I would recommend "The day I met El Chapo". I don't believe the actress for a second (I don't think she was too naive, she just seized the opportunity to do a documentary/film about El Chapo), but I was just curious to listen to her side of the story).
Last edited by perkana on Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.

perkana

#258 Post by perkana » Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:32 pm

blackula wrote:
Stranger Things 2 was cool. Not great but good.

I liked Vice Principals a lot. Not as good as East Bound but very entertaining. Walter Goggins was cool in it and Danny McBride always cracks me up.
I didn't think ST2 was great either. It was fun to watch, but there wasn't anything new about it.
I really need to watch VP soon. It's on my list.

creep
Site Admin

#259 Post by creep » Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:33 pm

perkana wrote: If you feel bored one day, I would recommend "The day I met El Chapo". I don't believe the actress for a second (I don't think she was too naive, she just seized the opportunity to do a documentary/film about El Chapo), but I was just curious to listen to her side of the story.
I thought it was pretty interesting. Sean Penn better watch his back. :scared:

perkana

#260 Post by perkana » Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:39 pm

Sean Penn really fucked it up. I thought she was lucky not getting killed by El Chapo's people.

creep
Site Admin

#261 Post by creep » Thu Nov 23, 2017 4:32 pm

I'm two episodes in on Godless on Netflix. I think it's great but I love shit like this. Anyone else watching it? You should. Jeff Daniels is really good in it.

Hype

#262 Post by Hype » Fri Nov 24, 2017 8:34 am

I binged 'Atypical'. I liked it, but something about it was bugging me. There was a review that kind of hit it on the head: this isn't *really* a show about autism. It's a show about a decent-looking kid portraying an awkward teen with high-functioning autism (basically Asperger's, though I think this case is a bit more pronounced than that), and his somewhat fucked up family. There are no serious attempts to show characters with more serious forms of autism.

The sub-plot with the mother and the bartender irritated me, but I guess I understand why they felt they needed that in the show (still, it feels a little bit too cartoonish/Nurse Jackie-ish).

I've always liked Michael Rappaport. His character is great. A lot of the others seem a bit too shallow -- they're playing archetypes rather than actual people.

SR

#263 Post by SR » Sat Nov 25, 2017 7:48 am

[quote
I've always liked Michael Rappaport.[/quote]Confusing. How? As an marginal actor? As a time filler loud mouth guy on sports/live shows like The View/Good Morning America, ESPN NY baseball shows or in this show as the confused victimized husband/contrite former shitty abandoning husband?

I see your point about the show in general, though I enjoyed the show; it's not Shakespeare, but I thought the choice of MR as the sympathetic character in terms of casting was weak.....though even for him, he over delivered :lol: :lol:

Hype

#264 Post by Hype » Sun Nov 26, 2017 1:27 pm

SR wrote:
I've always liked Michael Rappaport.
Confusing. How? As an marginal actor? As a time filler loud mouth guy on sports/live shows like The View/Good Morning America, ESPN NY baseball shows or in this show as the confused victimized husband/contrite former shitty abandoning husband?

I see your point about the show in general, though I enjoyed the show; it's not Shakespeare, but I thought the choice of MR as the sympathetic character in terms of casting was weak.....though even for him, he over delivered :lol: :lol:
I liked him on Boston Public. Actually, I liked Fyvush Finkel a lot more. Probably it's just that the rest of the actors are mediocre. :lol: Also I added too many Ps in his name. :scared:

SR

#265 Post by SR » Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:24 am

Ya know, not so fair on my part. Come to think of it, I can't recall ever seeing him act in anything else....but he's ubiquitous in tons of sports shows for some reason as a "regular guy" talking head. I've have even seen him recently railing against trump which I had to turn immediately off.....he's always the loud mouth pipe fitter guys type who's proud he read the cliff notes and cheated on the math tests to get by in hs to pass kind of guy I can't stand type.