One Million Moms

off-topic conversation unrelated to Jane's Addiction
tvrec

One Million Moms

#1 Post by tvrec » Thu May 10, 2012 9:00 am

In the last couple of months, the advocacy group One Million Moms has gathered steam with a number of Internet campaigns that, on many levels both personal and social, I find completely unacceptable. Basically, the group singles out advertisers that they deem in violation of "family values." As you can guess from my scare quotes, this is a euphemism for right-wing, evangelical christian values--those "values" that always seem like double-speak from those espousing them. They want JC Penny to drop Ellen Degeneres as a spokesperson because everyone knows she is gay and, my gosh, who would want to support such abhorrent transgressions? :eyes: They want to get advertisers to drop their slots on ABC's GCB because it depicts some Christians as, gasp, hypocritical. :balls: And so forth and so on.

Anyway, my stance is that this group basically tries to bully corporations into adopting stances (or silence) consistent with its limited, regressive perspective through Internet petitions and form letters. And because companies often receive only complaints in such mediums, the tactic can be rather successful through its skewing of perception. So, I decided that I would try to make a difference too and signed up as a member of the group. Now they send me all of their notifications for email campaigns with a link to the boilerplate language. I click and begin editing the boilerplate language so that it, in effect, supports a counter position (e.g., as a mother and member of One Million Moms changes to as a father and opponent of One Million Moms...), and then send it along with the subject "One Million Moms Can Be Wrong."

It takes a minute or two about once a month, so it's not much of a time commitment, but it is one way to turn the beast back on itself. If others are so inclined, here's the link to sign-up and stand-up against their crap.

http://www.onemillionmoms.com/

Romeo

Re: One Million Moms

#2 Post by Romeo » Thu May 10, 2012 9:25 am

tvrec wrote:In the last couple of months, the advocacy group One Million Moms has gathered steam with a number of Internet campaigns that, on many levels both personal and social, I find completely unacceptable. Basically, the group singles out advertisers that they deem in violation of "family values." As you can guess from my scare quotes, this is a euphemism for right-wing, evangelical christian values--those "values" that always seem like double-speak from those espousing them. They want JC Penny to drop Ellen Degeneres as a spokesperson because everyone knows she is gay and, my gosh, who would want to support such abhorrent transgressions? :eyes: They want to get advertisers to drop their slots on ABC's GCB because it depicts some Christians as, gasp, hypocritical. :balls: And so forth and so on.

Anyway, my stance is that this group basically tries to bully corporations into adopting stances (or silence) consistent with its limited, regressive perspective through Internet petitions and form letters. And because companies often receive only complaints in such mediums, the tactic can be rather successful through its skewing of perception. So, I decided that I would try to make a difference too and signed up as a member of the group. Now they send me all of their notifications for email campaigns with a link to the boilerplate language. I click and begin editing the boilerplate language so that it, in effect, supports a counter position (e.g., as a mother and member of One Million Moms changes to as a father and opponent of One Million Moms...), and then send it along with the subject "One Million Moms Can Be Wrong."

It takes a minute or two about once a month, so it's not much of a time commitment, but it is one way to turn the beast back on itself. If others are so inclined, here's the link to sign-up and stand-up against their crap.

http://www.onemillionmoms.com/
So funny you said "Christians" and "hypocritical" in the same sentence.
I just said the same thing on twitter after getting into a debate around same sex marriage today with someone who loves to talk about church etc....but is apparently not in the least in following the teachings of christ.

As a jew my understanding that to be Christian a a true follower of christ is to be as loving, accepting and forgiving as christ was.
I must of understood this incorrectly.

But back to the million moms (which we know there are never a million no matter what you place the word "million" in front of) it seems if you say ANYTHING bad about "Moms" it's like calling someone a motherfucker. Gasps are heard around the country.
Just like Hillary Rosen's comments regarding Ann Romney. Hillary wasn't saying anything about MOMS or Stay at home MOMS, she meant because Ann never had to budget a families budget or figure out how to pay a bill.
Saying anything bad against a Mom is forbidden
Last edited by Romeo on Thu May 10, 2012 9:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Artemis

#3 Post by Artemis » Thu May 10, 2012 9:33 am

I've read about the Million Moms and they are truly scary! I mean, the influence they seem to have. I'm glad JC Penney ddin't back down on Ellen as their spokesperson.

tvrec

#4 Post by tvrec » Thu May 10, 2012 11:44 am

Romeo wrote: So funny you said "Christians" and "hypocritical" in the same sentence.
I just said the same thing on twitter after getting into a debate around same sex marriage today with someone who loves to talk about church etc....but is apparently not in the least in following the teachings of christ.

As a jew my understanding that to be Christian a a true follower of christ is to be as loving, accepting and forgiving as christ was.

But back to the million moms (which we know there are never a million no matter what you place the word "million" in front of) it seems if you say ANYTHING bad about "Moms" it's like calling someone a motherfucker. Gasps are heard around the country.
Just like Hillary Rosen's comments regarding Ann Romney. Hillary wasn't saying anything about MOMS or Stay at home MOMS, she meant because Ann never had to budget a families budget or figure out how to pay a bill.
To be fair, there are a lot of people who call themselves Christian who are awesome, open-minded, loving, and all those characteristics forwarded by the new testament. The members of OMM just aren't those same people. They use the label as a weapon, just like your point about "motherhood." Rosen chose her words poorly, to be sure, but I agree with you that her point was about class not gender.

tvrec

#5 Post by tvrec » Thu May 10, 2012 11:46 am

Artemis wrote: I'm glad JC Penney ddin't back down on Ellen as their spokesperson.
That's precisely why I decided to start sending out the emails to support companies that had the (forgive the sexism) balls to stand up to OMM. :bigrin:

Romeo

#6 Post by Romeo » Thu May 10, 2012 11:56 am

tvrec wrote:
Romeo wrote: So funny you said "Christians" and "hypocritical" in the same sentence.

To be fair, there are a lot of people who call themselves Christian who are awesome, open-minded, loving, and all those characteristics forwarded by the new testament. The members of OMM just aren't those same people. They use the label as a weapon, just like your point about "motherhood." Rosen chose her words poorly, to be sure, but I agree with you that her point was about class not gender.
OH I know some Christians who are definitely all loving.
My friend Nancy for one. She is very active in her church and I don't think I have ever heard her say a bad thing about anybody

dali

#7 Post by dali » Thu May 10, 2012 2:21 pm

There's 300 million people in the US. "One Million" Moms isn't even 1% (it's actually a third of 1%) so who gives a shit about what such a tiny minority has to say. (and yes I realize that the "one million" is not empirical but more like a euphemism, but my point still stands).

Romeo

#8 Post by Romeo » Fri May 11, 2012 7:21 am

it doesn't matter HOW many, it's how loud their message of hate is.

Pure Method

#9 Post by Pure Method » Fri May 11, 2012 9:05 am

loud in terms of money, too.

tvrec

#10 Post by tvrec » Sat May 19, 2012 7:57 am

http://www.onemillionmoms.com/IssueDetail.asp?id=455
Here's their latest--Mad at gap for having two guys sharing a T-shirt.

Hype

#11 Post by Hype » Sat May 19, 2012 8:13 am

"Sales have dramatically dropped since JC Penney's showed their "bold new marketing strategy" included pushing a lesbian spokesperson and same-sex couples in their advertising. JC Penney's current marketing plan has done incalculable amounts of damage to this once family-friendly store."

... I suspect that's not even remotely true.