Sell-Outs

off-topic conversation unrelated to Jane's Addiction
SR

Sell-Outs

#1 Post by SR » Wed May 09, 2012 5:08 pm

OK, Wow....Peter Gabriel shilling kitchen appliances and what the fuck Wow with Stephen Tyler shilling fried chix at Burger King. Keep the list going.....Hicks would be rolling over in the grave.

Pandemonium

Re: Sell-Outs

#2 Post by Pandemonium » Wed May 09, 2012 5:11 pm

SR wrote:OK, Wow....Peter Gabriel shilling kitchen appliances and what the fuck Wow with Stephen Tyler shilling fried chix at Burger King. Keep the list going.....Hicks would be rolling over in the grave.
The Steven Tyler/Burger Kind ad is really pathetic. It's almost like he doesn't know what he's doing or where he's at.

Juana

#3 Post by Juana » Wed May 09, 2012 5:12 pm

SR wrote:OK, Wow....Peter Gabriel shilling kitchen appliances and what the fuck Wow with Stephen Tyler shilling fried chix at Burger King. Keep the list going.....Hicks would be rolling over in the grave.

I had you post it before anyone else did

SR

#4 Post by SR » Wed May 09, 2012 5:13 pm

Currently listenting to the Cult shill Bud. I think this could be a long thread.

[edit] and I effin swear I will NOT slag on DN, hard and easy as that is.... :banghead:

Juana

#5 Post by Juana » Wed May 09, 2012 5:25 pm

SR wrote:Currently listenting to the Cult shill Bud. I think this could be a long thread.

[edit] and I effin swear I will NOT slag on DN, hard and easy as that is.... :banghead:
I think we do that enough in like every other thread on the site

chaos

#6 Post by chaos » Wed May 09, 2012 5:29 pm

This is old - Sting for Jaguar:

Essence_Smith

#7 Post by Essence_Smith » Wed May 09, 2012 5:54 pm

Just about every single musician I've ever held in high regard has made some sort of questionable move for money at some point...I stopped judging em on it long ago...when you work in a field without retirement money built in or even health insurance for that matter, I don't care how much money we think they have I am not calling BS on any of em...they've gotta eat... :noclue:

SR

#8 Post by SR » Wed May 09, 2012 6:07 pm

Essence_Smith wrote:Just about every single musician I've ever held in high regard has made some sort of questionable move for money at some point...I stopped judging em on it long ago...when you work in a field without retirement money built in or even health insurance for that matter, I don't care how much money we think they have I am not calling BS on any of em...they've gotta eat... :noclue:
Ok, I will. :bs:

Hype

#9 Post by Hype » Wed May 09, 2012 6:15 pm

I guess is better to end up a used car salesman than a shill for a used car salesman. :bday:

Jasper

#10 Post by Jasper » Wed May 09, 2012 7:08 pm

John Densmore, the drummer from The Doors, was often a pain in the ass, but he turned out being the only one of them that upheld Jim Morrison's clearly-stated opinion that the music should not be sold for use in advertisements. Densmore has veto power, and despite the other two repeatedly attempting to sue him and break him down, he's been steadfast. I think Doors music has only ever been in things like movie soundtracks (the only one I can think of is Riders on the Storm in The Basketball Diaries).

Matz

#11 Post by Matz » Wed May 09, 2012 7:15 pm

Jasper wrote:John Densmore, the drummer from The Doors, was often a pain in the ass, but he turned out being the only one of them that upheld Jim Morrison's clearly-stated opinion that the music should not be sold for use in advertisements. Densmore has veto power, and despite the other two repeatedly attempting to sue him and break him down, he's been steadfast. I think Doors music has only ever been in things like movie soundtracks (the only one I can think of is Riders on the Storm in The Basketball Diaries).
I didn't know that about John Densmore. That's really cool of him. Regarding Doors and movies their music has also been in Apocalypse Now, Riders on the Storm as well, if I remember correctly

blackcoffee

#12 Post by blackcoffee » Wed May 09, 2012 7:44 pm

The Shins sold some music to McDonald's and gave a very reasonable explanation for it: for the 30 second sound clip they made more than anything they'd made combined in their lifetime up to that point. It allowed them to all quit their jobs and focus on making more music. I think they also said the music wasn't necessarily recognizable as them. I think it's in poor taste, but if I ever published my novel you can bet I'd want it to sell. And sell well. I'd even sleep with Oprah if she put me on the show.

dali

#13 Post by dali » Wed May 09, 2012 7:50 pm

Matz wrote: I didn't know that about John Densmore. That's really cool of him. Regarding Doors and movies their music has also been in Apocalypse Now, Riders on the Storm as well, if I remember correctly

'Um, that would be "The End", not Riders on the Storm. :eyes:

Jasper

#14 Post by Jasper » Wed May 09, 2012 7:56 pm

dali wrote:
Matz wrote: I didn't know that about John Densmore. That's really cool of him. Regarding Doors and movies their music has also been in Apocalypse Now, Riders on the Storm as well, if I remember correctly

dali, I think that in your case it would be the safest route to simply never use an apostrophe or quotation mark ever again.

Hype

#15 Post by Hype » Wed May 09, 2012 7:58 pm

Jasper wrote:
dali wrote:

dali, I think that in your case it would be the safest route to simply never use an apostrophe or quotation mark ever again.
I think they indicate a glottal stop and his actual pauses to think.

dali

#16 Post by dali » Wed May 09, 2012 8:00 pm

Jasper wrote:John Densmore, the drummer from The Doors, was often a pain in the ass, but he turned out being the only one of them that upheld Jim Morrison's clearly-stated opinion that the music should not be sold for use in advertisements. Densmore has veto power, and despite the other two repeatedly attempting to sue him and break him down, he's been steadfast. I think Doors music has only ever been in things like movie soundtracks (the only one I can think of is Riders on the Storm in The Basketball Diaries).
:lolol: , Did you not see the Oliver Stone movie about The Doors?

In it, John, and the rest of the band sold "Light My Fire" to a car commercial and Jim was the only one who objected.

clickie

#17 Post by clickie » Wed May 09, 2012 8:25 pm

I remember reading about that in one of The Doors books...I dont know
if the commercial ever aired, but remember Jim threatened to smash a buick on
stage if it ever did... :lol:

I think theres some doors music in the 3 days movie too...

Essence_Smith

#18 Post by Essence_Smith » Wed May 09, 2012 8:47 pm

I give career musicians a lot of leeway partly because I had to basically rely on touring, session work, etc for a year to feed my family...its a not an easy way to make a living even when you make money and most musicians make a lot more money for other people than they actually see themselves...now if you spent your entire musical career denouncing that sort of thing, then I can see where people would object, but at the end of the day all that "integrity" does not pay the bills and there are lots of ads I like that make good usage of classic stuff...it also allows for people who may not have been exposed to certain music to hear it...I'd have never heard Mississippi Queen if it weren't in a beer commercial...stuff like that...art and commerce = slippery slope, I get it, but again I think people too often forget its still a business...everybody eventually alters their standards over time...as far as the Doors are concerned, will all due respect to Morrison, his lifestyle and early demise influenced his bandmates ability to make a living...I'm not saying their music should be used for ads and such but the working musician in me will always be biased...I'd milk some 35 year old material if I could...those senior years should be comfortable ones... :wink:

dali

#19 Post by dali » Wed May 09, 2012 9:02 pm

Essence_Smith wrote:...as far as the Doors are concerned, will all due respect to Morrison, his lifestyle and early demise influenced his bandmates ability to make a living
Jim's lifestyle was the reason his band could make a living. Jim didn't negatively affect John and Robbie, he was the sole reason they were able to make a living and live as "comfortably" as they have.

Fun Factoid: The movie footage from The Highway on (Blu-ray)

is Fucking FANTASTIC.

Essence_Smith

#20 Post by Essence_Smith » Wed May 09, 2012 9:40 pm

dali wrote:Jim's lifestyle was the reason his band could make a living. Jim didn't negatively affect John and Robbie, he was the sole reason they were able to make a living and live as "comfortably" as they have
:essence:
Jim's IMAGE plays into the Doors success, but when he was alive they had to deal with his legal issues etc...it couldn't have helped...and read carefully I never said it had a negative effect, I said it influenced their ability to make a living...I believe its swung in both ways to be honest, because the Doors name still makes good money, but not having Jim to make more music with and tour with, did hurt them particularly in the decade following his death...they probably did better after the film...and I'm not saying they should be allowed to pimp the name, but come on, they did write that musc and the band was not Jim alone...

Mescal

#21 Post by Mescal » Wed May 09, 2012 10:16 pm

They were a band. 4 people making the music. You take one person out of the equation, .... Well, you get my point. Same as with Led Zep and the Who. They stopped when they lost their drummer, because he was an equal part of the band.

John also never wanted to take part in the Doors of the 21th century reunion.

How's that for "keeping the band's legacy"

Jasper

#22 Post by Jasper » Wed May 09, 2012 10:46 pm

Jim come up with the lion's share of the lyrics and songs of The Doors. The image and style was his idea. The magnetism of their performances were driven by him. The other guys were good, but they really lucked out. They are wealthy because of Jim Morrison. Another thing about Morrison was that he was extremely generous, and he agreed that everyone in the band should receive an equal cut (rare as hell) and that each member should have veto power on any issue.

As for the Buick commercial, the scene in the movie was not accurate, nor was 95% of the rest of the film. What a piece of shit that movie was. The commercial was never aired, and I don't believe it was ever made. One day Jim didn't show up, and that was the day the offer was made. The band agreed to the commercial, not thinking it would be an issue, but as soon as Morrison found out, he nixed it. Television throwing was not involved.

So, even after songs like Light My Fire had huge commercial popularity, Jim insisted that they were still sacred, and should not be used for advertisements. Jim simply used his veto power to stop it. John Densmore came to understand Jim's passionate position, and ever after acted as a guardian, and was able to do so because he was (generously) given veto power. More power to him. That is a strong stance to take.

Matz

#23 Post by Matz » Thu May 10, 2012 4:17 am

dali wrote:

:lol: I really should know these things cold

chaos

#24 Post by chaos » Thu May 10, 2012 6:39 am

Mescal wrote:They were a band. 4 people making the music. You take one person out of the equation, .... Well, you get my point. Same as with Led Zep and the Who. They stopped when they lost their drummer, because he was an equal part of the band.

John also never wanted to take part in the Doors of the 21th century reunion.

How's that for "keeping the band's legacy"
Btw - songs by both The Who and Led Zeppelin are also in car commercials.

Matz

#25 Post by Matz » Thu May 10, 2012 6:55 am

what about the Jimi Hendrix estate, do they allow his songs to be used in commercials?

Pink Floyd doesn't do it either. Except for the Rick Wright song "Great gig in the sky".