Mega Millions Lotto over 500 MILLION

off-topic conversation unrelated to Jane's Addiction
Mescal

Re: Mega Millions Lotto over 500 MILLION

#26 Post by Mescal » Sat Mar 31, 2012 2:08 am

sinep wrote:4 dollars down the drain... i could have bought a taco and a beer with that money. :sad:
You still can :noclue:

Matz

#27 Post by Matz » Sat Mar 31, 2012 4:57 am

Mescal wrote:
creep wrote:i read that 200 million in tickets were sold in california today. if my math is correct that is like $6 for every person. crazy

Somebody won though.

Somebody out there is now thinking: What the fuck am I gonna do with all that money?
I wonder if it's a blessing or a curse to win 500 million or something? Sure it's nice to be able to buy 10 Bentleys and a house in Malibu or whatever but so many people will now try to get to know you because of the money, family members and friends will want to borrow money maybe, people will try to rip you off etc. Must be a weird situation.

I think I read somewhere a while ago that people that win a lot of money don't see their lives change all that much for the better in the end

farrellgirl99

#28 Post by farrellgirl99 » Sat Mar 31, 2012 8:19 am

Matz wrote:
Mescal wrote:
creep wrote:i read that 200 million in tickets were sold in california today. if my math is correct that is like $6 for every person. crazy

Somebody won though.

Somebody out there is now thinking: What the fuck am I gonna do with all that money?
I wonder if it's a blessing or a curse to win 500 million or something? Sure it's nice to be able to buy 10 Bentleys and a house in Malibu or whatever but so many people will now try to get to know you because of the money, family members and friends will want to borrow money maybe, people will try to rip you off etc. Must be a weird situation.

I think I read somewhere a while ago that people that win a lot of money don't see their lives change all that much for the better in the end
Not sure if this is what you're talking about, but I remember a study said that once you hit earning around $72,000 a year (I think that's the number, it's in the 70ks), money doesn't affect your happiness. So it kind of tops out at that number. It's something I find hard to believe and totally believable at the same time.

Romeo

#29 Post by Romeo » Sat Mar 31, 2012 9:01 am

wasn't me.
THOUGH I didn't check to see if I won a smaller prize.

I'd take 10G's

Juana

#30 Post by Juana » Sat Mar 31, 2012 10:38 am

farrellgirl99 wrote:
Matz wrote:
Mescal wrote:

Somebody won though.

Not sure if this is what you're talking about, but I remember a study said that once you hit earning around $72,000 a year (I think that's the number, it's in the 70ks), money doesn't affect your happiness. So it kind of tops out at that number. It's something I find hard to believe and totally believable at the same time.
Yeah it was slightly over 72k per year but I think it also depends on where you live. I'm doing pretty good but the Austin area has a lower cost of living then home in CA or probably in NYC as my friend who lives in NYC comes down to the bar and is like "$3 for a beer? Crazy" so its all relative for your area.

Hype

#31 Post by Hype » Sat Mar 31, 2012 10:46 am

Romeo wrote:wasn't me.

I'd take 10G's
You could save $10 a week for 20 years and you'd be guaranteed at least $10,000. If you invested it in a GIC or high interest account, you'd likely have closer to $15,000.

Just saying. :lol:

Matz

#32 Post by Matz » Sat Mar 31, 2012 11:24 am

farrellgirl99 wrote:
Matz wrote:
Mescal wrote:

Somebody won though.

It's not exactly what I meant. My point is if it's ultimately a good thing to win 500 million dollars or not, because I'm not sure. There are a lot of benefits of course because you can now buy and do anything you want almost. But your friends and family members are going to have the same normal income as they've always had and all of a sudden you're in the Bill Gates stratosphere of wealth. It could cause of a lot of envy and people trying to rip you off and becoming friends with you for the wrong reasons and stuff like that. And how do you share it all and who gets how much etc?
It would be really interesting to read an interview with a person who's won that kind of money and hear if his or her life is better now or not and what the upsides and the downsides have been. I think there's a lot of headache to be had along with all that money

Romeo

#33 Post by Romeo » Sat Mar 31, 2012 11:30 am

Adurentibus Spina wrote:

I'd take 10G's
You could save $10 a week for 20 years and you'd be guaranteed at least $10,000. If you invested it in a GIC or high interest account, you'd likely have closer to $15,000.

FREE money.

$5 investment in the lottery handing me 10G's is a good return

Hype

#34 Post by Hype » Sat Mar 31, 2012 12:21 pm

Romeo wrote:
Adurentibus Spina wrote:

I'd take 10G's

FREE money.

$5 investment in the lottery handing me 10G's is a good return
Yes, and finding pirate treasure is a good return too. But you're more likely to find that than win $10,000 in the lottery.

sinep

#35 Post by sinep » Sun Apr 01, 2012 2:26 am

Mescal wrote:
sinep wrote:4 dollars down the drain... i could have bought a taco and a beer with that money. :sad:
You still can :noclue:
no, i can't afford a fish taco and a beer now that i wasted all 4 of my dollars on the lotto.

dali

#36 Post by dali » Wed Apr 11, 2012 2:14 am

Turns out the stupid bitch never even had the winning ticket.

So desperate for that 15 mins of fame.