Mad Men - Season 5

off-topic conversation unrelated to Jane's Addiction
chaos

Mad Men - Season 5

#1 Post by chaos » Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:18 pm

Impressions? I have enjoyed the show, but didn't think last season was very good (or at last not as good as previous seasons). Based on this season's premiere, I am still on the fence.

I thought Joan aborted Roger's baby last season so I was surprised to read that everyone (viewers) thinks the baby belongs to Roger. Since last season ends during November of 1965 and picks up this season the Monday after Memorial Day in 1966, I guess it is true.

Jasper

Re: Mad Men - Season 5

#2 Post by Jasper » Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:22 pm

I've been a fan all along, and I enjoyed last season a lot. There was some intense crazy shit happening. It's probably my favorite show. I wasn't blown away by the season premier, but it's hard to meet expectations for a show that's been off the air for so friggin' long. I am expecting excellence from this season, and I expect the drama to build up as we go along. I'm a true believer.

It's so nice to have this finally starting up again, and another topnotch show, Game of Thrones. Eastbound & Down is like a nice extra on top of those.
:yeay:

Jasper

#3 Post by Jasper » Sun Apr 22, 2012 11:33 pm

Heavy fucking episode. Damn. I loved the acid trip. The entire show, especially where Don is concerned, left me uneasy as fuck.

chaos

#4 Post by chaos » Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:20 am

It was definitely a much more serious episode than the last two. The two previous episodes were good and had a nice rhythm to them. The writers change with each episode. I guess this keep the series fresh, but it makes for some unevenness in the series as a whole. Last night's episode on its own was good.

Jasper

#5 Post by Jasper » Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:13 pm

Eh, I don't find it to be uneven. Life shifts moods - at least mine does. There are some lighter times, but you have the sense that the overall arc of Don's story is kind of a sad one - as if he's doomed to fuck up everything despite having so much and being so intelligent. I do not want to watch the slow-motion implosion of his current situation, but they sure seem to be going in that direction. Very sad. It remains my favorite show despite stellar competition.

chaos

#6 Post by chaos » Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:20 pm

Jasper wrote:Eh, I do not want to watch the slow-motion implosion of his current situation, but they sure seem to be going in that direction.
Yeah, last night's episode foreshadows this.

pandarve666

#7 Post by pandarve666 » Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:55 pm

It looks great, but Mad Men bores me to death. Can't wait for a new Breaking Bad season though.