VERY WEIRD earthquake in Santiago (7.2 in Maule)

off-topic conversation unrelated to Jane's Addiction
Larry B.

VERY WEIRD earthquake in Santiago (7.2 in Maule)

#1 Post by Larry B. » Sun Mar 25, 2012 3:48 pm

About 6 minutes ago. No idea on the intensity yet, but it could have been easily 5.5 Richter. It was extremely weird; I could hear something like thunders before each wave of movements. Because it wasn't just a continuous earthquake with increasing or decreasing intensities... it was like: thunder -> strong movement -> decreasing -> thunder -> strong movement -> decreasing -> etc., 4 or 5 times. It must've lasted about 45 sec to 1 minute.

Still trying to gather information to see if it was stronger someplace else.

I think there was also a simultaneous quake in Córdoba, Argentina... maybe the same earthquake.
Last edited by Larry B. on Sun Mar 25, 2012 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Larry B.

Re: VERY WEIRD earthquake in Santiago

#2 Post by Larry B. » Sun Mar 25, 2012 3:49 pm

7.2 in Talca, Chile. God damnit.

Juana

Re: VERY WEIRD earthquake in Santiago (7.2 in Maule)

#3 Post by Juana » Sun Mar 25, 2012 4:50 pm

Well hopefully its not too damaging and there are not a lot of deaths

Larry B.

#4 Post by Larry B. » Sun Mar 25, 2012 5:21 pm

Yes, no deaths at all and no major damages. Just paint layers off in a few houses and a few areas near the epicenter without electricity.

Thankfully, everything seems to be fine :nod:

Larry B.

#5 Post by Larry B. » Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:23 pm

We just had yet another pretty big earthquake. It was 6.5 Richter. No risk of tsunami, apparently.

This long sequence of strong earthquakes in different parts of the world is bringing me closer to a theory that might as well make me lose a bet. But we'll see.

creep
Site Admin

#6 Post by creep » Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:29 pm

Larry B. wrote:We just had yet another pretty big earthquake. It was 6.5 Richter. No risk of tsunami, apparently.

This long sequence of strong earthquakes in different parts of the world is bringing me closer to a theory that might as well make me lose a bet. But we'll see.
:conf: there are earthquakes greater than 6 happening all the time. we haven't been having more than usual.

in 2011 there were 20 earthquakes greater than 7.0. 24 in 2010.

so far in 2012 there have been 6.

perkana

#7 Post by perkana » Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:32 pm

the end of the world will be sooner? jk, glad to hear all is well...we're waiting for an 8 richter scale earthquake over here. My advisor says it might come next week. He predicted last week's a couple of hours before it happened.
Last edited by perkana on Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Larry B.

#8 Post by Larry B. » Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:33 pm

creep wrote:
Larry B. wrote:We just had yet another pretty big earthquake. It was 6.5 Richter. No risk of tsunami, apparently.

:conf: there are earthquakes greater than 6 happening all the time. we haven't been having more than usual.

Yeah, I know... I haven't said that this sequence is unusual :noclue:

I just laughed at this image. Each bubble represents the epicenter of an earthquake, since 1990. Yes, that's where I currently live.

Larry B.

#9 Post by Larry B. » Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:34 pm

perkana wrote:the end of the world will be sooner? jk, glad to hear all is well...we're waiting for an 8 richter scale earthquake over here. My advisor says it might come next week. He predicted last week's a couple of hours before it happened.
??

Your advisor?

:hs:

perkana

#10 Post by perkana » Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:37 pm

yup, my tutor or whatever you want to call him...he works with prediction models but didn't explain me how he knew there was going to be an earthquake. He works at the Geophysics Institute in UNAM and there it is the national sismological center

creep
Site Admin

#11 Post by creep » Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:38 pm

Larry B. wrote:
creep wrote:

Yeah, I know... I haven't said that this sequence is unusual :noclue:

I just laughed at this image. Each bubble represents the epicenter of an earthquake, since 1990. Yes, that's where I currently live.

you live on top of a subduction zone. you will always have earthquakes and volcano's. you're fucked

Larry B.

#12 Post by Larry B. » Tue Apr 17, 2012 4:05 am

perkana wrote:yup, my tutor or whatever you want to call him...he works with prediction models but didn't explain me how he knew there was going to be an earthquake. He works at the Geophysics Institute in UNAM and there it is the national sismological center
That's pretty fucking awesome.
creep wrote: you live on top of a subduction zone. you will always have earthquakes and volcano's. you're fucked
Yeah, I know... you know who doesn't know, though? The geniuses who built a nuclear reactor right over the San Ramon geological fault. That's right, the ONLY nuclear reactor in Chile, which is small and used only for research purposes, was built exactly ON the fault.

:banghead:

Artemis

#13 Post by Artemis » Tue Apr 17, 2012 4:53 am

Glad you are okay, Larry.

On the news it was reported that the Canadian PM is in Chile right now. His wife was very "shaken up" by the earthquake. The news announcer actually said that. :lol:

Larry B.

#14 Post by Larry B. » Tue Apr 17, 2012 7:26 am

Artemis wrote:Glad you are okay, Larry.

On the news it was reported that the Canadian PM is in Chile right now. His wife was very "shaken up" by the earthquake. The news announcer actually said that. :lol:
:lol:

Yeah, thankfully everything is fine. There were 2 deaths, both heart attacks.

I was a bit impressed by my reaction last night. I was like 'here we go again... another huge earthquake :eyes: ', so I sat next to my bed and waited for another apocalyptic movement. When I felt that the movement had reached its peak, I just walked up to my desk and held my monitors to make sure they didn't fall. While I heard some people screaming and some weird flashes out my window.

Then I thought 'maybe that's why I was having trouble falling asleep'. I called a couple of friends, made sure they were OK, and golden slumbers started filling my eyes.