English Football

off-topic conversation unrelated to Jane's Addiction
Larry B.

Re: English Football

#76 Post by Larry B. » Wed Dec 07, 2011 9:46 pm

1-6 in the Manchester derby, out of the Champions League and out of the Carling Cup... holy shitters.

Seriously, these players better grow some balls.

I'd bet $20 Evra leaves Manchester United next season. Maybe even Ferguson... you know, leaving after somewhat of a low season could be better for the new manager (Mourinho).

Bandit72

#77 Post by Bandit72 » Thu Dec 08, 2011 2:19 am

Larry B. wrote:1-6 in the Manchester derby, out of the Champions League and out of the Carling Cup... holy shitters.

I'd bet $20 Evra leaves Manchester United next season. Maybe even Ferguson... you know, leaving after somewhat of a low season could be better for the new manager (Mourinho).
Every chance they could go out at the FA Cup 3rd round and not win the league. Football is swings and roundabouts.

Larry B.

#78 Post by Larry B. » Thu Dec 08, 2011 6:08 am

Bandit72 wrote:
Larry B. wrote:1-6 in the Manchester derby, out of the Champions League and out of the Carling Cup... holy shitters.

Every chance they could go out at the FA Cup 3rd round and not win the league. Football is swings and roundabouts.
Yup... 3rd round against City, who look really strong.

I kinda wish they at least win the Europa League... it would be fun, considering they've never won it.

Larry B.

#79 Post by Larry B. » Mon Dec 12, 2011 1:18 pm

God damn Chelsea... 2 minutes to concede the first goal? REALLY?

Also, I'm fucking glad Anelka and Alex area leaving that club. Shit players, especially Anelka. No commitment.

Oh, and Sir Alex... Sneijder, please... now it's the time: 1.5 years left in his contract, Inter are 11th and Sneijder seems to be wanting out...

Larry B.

#80 Post by Larry B. » Tue Dec 13, 2011 8:16 am

So, Fletcher is taking an 'extended break' from Football. Turns out he didn't have a virus, but Ulcerative Colitis, a disease that basically makes you shit diarrhea mixed with blood.

http://www.manutd.com/en/News-And-Featu ... break.aspx

I just hope he gets better :wavesad:

And now it's official: Manchester United has no moderately reliable defensive midfielder. Jones could fill in, but that would mean that pairing Vidic with Smalling and placing Rafael on the right would be the ONLY choice. If one of them is injured or suspended, the only alternative is stupid fucking Evans.

Bandit72

#81 Post by Bandit72 » Tue Dec 13, 2011 8:24 am

Larry B. wrote: And now it's official: Manchester United has no moderately reliable defensive midfielder. Jones could fill in, but that would mean that pairing Vidic with Smalling and placing Rafael on the right would be the ONLY choice. If one of them is injured or suspended, the only alternative is stupid fucking Evans.
Vidic is out for the season.

Larry B.

#82 Post by Larry B. » Tue Dec 13, 2011 8:28 am

Oh yeah, my mistake! I meant Ferdinand...

Evra has also been awfully under par this season.

De Rossi + Sneijder in midfield would solve all of ManU's problems. Options in the back would increase immediately.

Larry B.

#83 Post by Larry B. » Wed Dec 14, 2011 8:43 pm

Larry B. wrote: Also, news are spreading about Chelsea's closing in on a deal for a Chilean player, Eduardo Vargas, who plays for the national side and for Universidad de Chile, a local team who's now playing the final of the Copa Sudamericana (an equivalent of the Europa League, i.e., the 2nd most important continental club championship). He's a quick, right-footed striker who usually plays on the right wing. People usually compare him to Alexis Sánchez, and I would have to agree to some point. He's 22 and so far he has attracted the attention of Napoli, AC Milan, Liverpool, Chelsea, Valencia and Zenit (amongst others). Yesterday, Piet de Visser -Chelsea scout and Abramovich advisor- came to Chile to watch him in action (Chelsea had sent scouts for previous games) and to close in on a deal...

So, in case you want to meet him:
(the compilation is from 2009, and the boy has improved during these last 2 years)

So, today Universidad de Chile won the Copa Sudamericana 3-0 (4-0 on aggregate), with 2 goals from Eduardo Vargas. He surpassed Neymar as the record scorer of the competition (11 goals in 12 games) and showed an outstanding display.

He *has* to leave during this transfer window. There's nothing else for him here. I think Chelsea could be great for him, he is great finder of space and does some killer diagonals. His speed is also of great value.

Larry B.

#84 Post by Larry B. » Sat Dec 17, 2011 11:54 pm

So, here's my 'world team of the year':

Casillas; Alves, Kompany, Vidic, Abidal; Vidal, Xavi, Iniesta; Ronaldo, Messi, Agüero.

Bench: Valdés; Smalling, Jones; Busquets, Pirlo; Silva, Van Persie.

Manager: Pep Guardiola.

Looking forward to this transfer window. It's pretty amazing how 'future stars' seem to be preferring Italy and Spain over England. Money talks, obviously. But if I played football professionally and Manchester City and Napoli offered me contracts, I'd go for the English team, hands down.

Bandit72

#85 Post by Bandit72 » Thu Dec 22, 2011 12:59 am

Best performance I've seen from Villa all season. Yet again MOTD hilights FAILED miserably to show how dominant we were. 57% to 43% possession against ARSENAL. The manager and a couple of players still need to go. Incredibly warm last night too for December which was a result.

Alan Hansen used the term "coloured players" on MOTD :lol: Oh dear. Suarez banned, Terry should be banned and Hansen should get out of the 1970's.

Larry B.

#86 Post by Larry B. » Thu Dec 22, 2011 5:52 am

Glad Villa weren't trashed, and damn glad United finally scored some goals.

Regarding Suárez, I have mixed feelings... on one hand, in South America, and specially in Argentina, Uruguay and Paraguay, it's pretty normal to call someone a 'negro' if he's black, there's no racism involved. Due to obvious reasons, it's not like Latin America ever considered black people to be inferior. Since I haven't seen images of how Suárez told Evra whatever he told him, a part of me can see Suárez talking in Spanish, saying 'Come on, negro, you hit me in the ankle' or 'Hey, negro... if you kick me one more time I'll fuck your momma'. However, in a regular situation Suárez could easily say 'Heyyyy negro, what's up? Here, grab a beer!' In those countries, it's pretty normal to call anyone a 'negro'. I've been called negro in Argentina. And one time I went with a girlfriend, who was of the standard German type (absolutely white, blond hair and blue eyes) and she was also called a negrita. So, it IS possible that Suárez didn't really mean to be racist.

On the other hand...

He's not in Latin America. He must adapt to the customs (and the laws) of the country he's living in. You just can't be calling people negros.

8 games is a fair ban, I'd say. And I really don't get the institutional support Suárez and Terry get. If they're found guilty of saying a racial slur, their institutions should not support them! I'm not saying they should be fired or anything, but show support?? How does that align with the 'kick racism out of football' campaign?

There's an Argentinian football narrator that always cracks me up with some hilarious comments, but every now and then I think 'holy shit... how does he not get fired?'. He calls Welbeck 'the black cloud'. He says stuff like 'Ballotelli just missed a clear goal opportunity! I guess he went to black!' or 'Here goes el negrito Ramires, look how tanned he is! The sun must be hitting hard in London, I tell you'. I think it's funny, since there's absolutely no racism per-sé involved, but I wonder if the director should tell him to stop that... after all, he's going live to all Latin America and some people might not appreciate his humor.
He also calls Diaby salchicha, which translates to hot dog, but it's actually used in Argentina to tell someone 'stupid' or 'screw-up'. Everytime he gets the ball... 'up the left blank goes el salchicha Diaby'.

Larry B.

#87 Post by Larry B. » Thu Dec 22, 2011 6:58 am

Heh, a nice article talking about what I said in my previous post: http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2896/pre ... er-but-his

Bandit72

#88 Post by Bandit72 » Thu Dec 22, 2011 12:42 pm

I totally agree with your entire post Larry. It's not acceptable over here at all however I will say the whole thing is being milked a lot and it is becoming rather tedious. A lot of football pundits are having a field day with it. He's got his ban, he's had is fine, and yes, punish everyone else found guilty but for crying out loud, no one's died.

Larry B.

#89 Post by Larry B. » Sun Jan 22, 2012 8:03 am

Bale is an outstanding player. 2-2 right now, I hope Tottenham edges City out...

EDIT: NOOOOO, DEFOE!!! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO KING!!! WHAT A FUCKING TOOL!!!

and what a game.

Bandit72

#90 Post by Bandit72 » Sun Jan 29, 2012 1:08 pm

Well we fucked that one up, royally.

Larry B.

#91 Post by Larry B. » Sun Jan 29, 2012 5:59 pm

Bandit72 wrote:Well we fucked that one up, royally.
Yup. Badly fucked up. :pat:

BTW, have I mentioned the pair of balls Manchester United is seriously lacking?

Larry B.

#92 Post by Larry B. » Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:34 am

I thought this was funny...

Fernando Torres to come out of Chelsea retirement & the 20 things to expect on Transfer Deadline Day

1 - Fernando Torres will be sat at home in a Liverpool scarf as the one-year anniversary of his move to Chelsea dawns, hugging his knees & crying himself to sleep.

2 - Harry Redknapp will attempt to sign 17 players at half-time during Tottenham’s clash with Wigan, before presenting Roberto Martinez with a black carrier bag full of cash in a swift exchange for Victor Moses. The 64-year-old will then make a mad dash to the club’s training ground for that last-minute interview with Sky Sports News on potential transfers, only to inform us once again that ‘the chairman sorts all that’.

3 – Cesc Fabregas finally completes his long awaited moved to Barce...oh, wait.

4 – Despite being relieved of his managerial duties two weeks ago, Neil Warnock will still be trying to tie up deals for players in a drunken haze as he drowns his sorrows at 10.53pm.

5 - Stoke City’s cretin brigade will be out in full force to welcome another mediocre signing to the Britannia, whooping and hollering on command as soon as the Sky Sports cameras begin to roll like a bunch of performing seals.

6 - Everyone will wonder why on earth football clubs still use fax machines to do their paperwork.

7 - Arsene Wenger will announce the signing of the latest 17-year-old prodigy that is set to guarantee the club’s future while revealing Andrey Arshavin has been handed a two-year contract extension, all from behind the safety of a sheet of bullet proof glass.

8 - Kia Joorabchian purchases a 15% stake in the January transfer window, and insists that Carlos Tevez can play for which ever Premier League team he wants on a game-to-game basis.

9 - WAGs up and down the country will be hampering our thirst for transfer business by saying "but I don't want to move to Stoke."

10 - In a desperate attempt to wheedle some transfer funds out of Bill Kenwright's enterprises, David Moyes takes to London's West End with a 'Hungry and Playerless' sign and a bucket to collect for the club’s coffers, before finally realising the only way he can sign Nikica Jelavic from Rangers is by wagering Tim Cahill in 15 rounds of winner-takes-all bare knuckle boxing with Ally McCoist. McCoist politely refuses.

11 - Following in the footsteps of Manchester United’s Paul Scholes, Fernando Torres announces that he is coming out of retirement to play for Chelsea.

12 - The transfer window reveals that it is leaving January to sign for May. "I felt it was time for a new challenge, and the climate is much nicer," it will claim after putting pen to paper on a four-year deal.

13 - Tumbleweed passes through the offices of the Emirates Stadium, followed by Arsene Wenger's proclamations that he "did not see it", as Arsenal’s non-playing staff take their customary two-week break through the transfer window.

14 – Brian Swanson is seen playing ‘Angry Birds’ on the SkyPad with half an hour to go on deadline day, as even 'Sky Sources' run out of rumours. Jim White will then sneakily have a go on the touchscreen monitor, before getting all confused and accidently lodging a £5 million bid for Giovani dos Santos.

15 - No doubt social networking will strike down one unlucky soul, as the most peculiar looking fan becomes a hot topic on Twitter after some heartless individual snaps them lingering behind David Craig on television.

16 - The country unites in celebration as Carlos Tevez finally departs British shores for the next club to be duped by the world’s most expensive mercenary. Disaster strikes though, as a completely unexpected and out-of-the-blue hitch scuppers the deal, and we’re forced to endure another five months of the horrid little imp.

17 – That friend you thought you knew fairly well turns out to be a massive pillock, when revealing that their cousin/cleaner/dog works at Club X's training ground and has seen Andy Carroll/Luka Modric/their dog arrive for a medical.

18 – Mark Hughes to use the phrase "good business".

19 – Chris Samba sits down for discussions with Venky's dressed as Colonel Sanders in his latest attempt to secure a move away from Blackburn Rovers, before citing the Human Rights Act to prevent his persecution at Ewood Park.

20 – Absolutely nothing. The FA will kick back and relax having sneakily scheduled five Premier League fixtures for the evening of deadline day, just to make sure everyone gets home in time for a late night kebab and a bit of Babestation – the perfect end to any transfer window.

http://www.goal.com/en/news/1717/editor ... ent-the-20

Larry B.

#93 Post by Larry B. » Sun Feb 05, 2012 10:58 am

Chelsea vs. ManU, what a game.

What the fuck happened to Howard Webb? Before the World Cup, he used to be the BEST referee on Earth, by far. Now he's easily one of the worst.

Bandit72

#94 Post by Bandit72 » Mon Feb 06, 2012 2:04 am

Larry B. wrote:Chelsea vs. ManU, what a game.

What the fuck happened to Howard Webb? Before the World Cup, he used to be the BEST referee on Earth, by far. Now he's easily one of the worst.
He is shit. He's usualy Man Utd's 12th man. Shocking penalty decisions, although h did miss one in the first half. I'm giving it 2 years till they use replay cameras in top league football.

Larry B.

#95 Post by Larry B. » Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:21 am

Bandit72 wrote:
Larry B. wrote:Chelsea vs. ManU, what a game.

I'm giving it 2 years till they use replay cameras in top league football.
I think you missed a couple of zeros there. No way it's happing before the World Cup in Brazil... and before using replays, they'll start using 'line technology' to determine whether a ball entered the goal or not. And even after that, replay technology will probably be rejected by most FAs, since it will 'take away some of the magic of the game'. Specially in English football, where the game hardly ever stops.

I believe the solution starts by demoting Webb to the Championship.

Larry B.

#96 Post by Larry B. » Mon Feb 06, 2012 2:49 pm

Luis Suárez just told the referee to go fuck his mother, in Spanish. I thought it was hilarious.

What a great forward he is.

Larry B.

#97 Post by Larry B. » Sun Mar 04, 2012 7:16 am

They sacked Villas-Boas...

I think Abramovich made a mistake in sacking him. He's now left with a squad of mostly old players who seem to have lost all passion for football. And shame on them, especially Lampard. They did everything they could to get AVB sacked.

Anyway, I read that Abramovich wants Guardiola for next season. I don't see it, actually. Not with that kind of players anyway. I see Rafa Benítez as the most logic option. But Lampard has to go. He lost it, he lost his talent. So did Malouda.

And fuck Torres. I hope a goalkeeper stomps his face soon. I hate that guy.

Bandit72

#98 Post by Bandit72 » Mon Mar 05, 2012 6:16 am

I get the impression patience isn't Abramovish's forte. I've 'heard' he wants Guardiola. No chance. Even Guardiola says himself he may leave football altogether soon. Let's assume 'arry leaves Spus and takes the England job at the end of the year, Mourinho comes back to the UK, and Wenger fucks off to Madrid, that leaves a whole array of positions to fill. I don't know if Benitez is good enough for Chelsea? Sorry, good enough for what Abramovich wants.

Larry B.

#99 Post by Larry B. » Mon Mar 05, 2012 7:03 am

Yeah, and I really don't see Mourinho or Guardiola going to Chelsea. I bet they'd see it as a step down. And I don't see Mourinho coming back to England to take any other team but Manchester United. Same with Guardiola, I don't see him managing any other club but Manchester United.

I keep reading that Benítez really wants the job but Abramovich doesn't want him. I think Benítez could convince him with the old "I know how to bring Torres back to form". But I don't see it. Apparently, they're considering Moyes too. But stupid Abramovich will not be able to establish Chelsea as a driving force in Europe if he keeps going like this. The closer he was was with Mourinho, and he jumped ship. And the best he could find was AVRAM GRANT!? I still can't believe people hire that dumb fuck.

Looking forward to April 30... most likely, the title match.

Bandit72

#100 Post by Bandit72 » Mon Mar 05, 2012 7:14 am

I'm not sure if David Moyes has been in a job too long with NO money. He would probably shit his pants if he was given millions. Moyes would have been ideal at Villa. Not loads of cash to spend, but a fair whack more than he has at Everton. Instead Randy Lerner employed that clueless donkey.

Benitez? I dunno. Mourinho may even be offered the England job?? Jose will have to wait to go to Utd. Maybe the Qatar Investment Authority are buying Villa this year and Mourinho is their number 1 target? = :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol:

sigh :cona: