Robin Williams - RIP

off-topic conversation unrelated to Jane's Addiction
Sue

Re: Robin Williams - RIP

#51 Post by Sue » Wed Aug 13, 2014 7:02 am

Larry B. wrote: I don't know if you've been depressed or not, but if you have 10 minutes I'd STRONGLY recommend having a look at this comic. It may seem silly at times, but never in my life I've read a better, more accurate description of what it's like being depressed.

http://hyperboleandahalf.blogspot.com/2 ... ssion.html

It's not always as easy as "if you want to die, just call the suicide hotline."
Thank you for the link, I'm reading and finding it much more relatable than some of the other sites I've found.

This section has a very good analogy:
"But trying to use willpower to overcome the apathetic sort of sadness that accompanies depression is like a person with no arms trying to punch themselves until their hands grow back. A fundamental component of the plan is missing and it isn't going to work. "

On a side note: strange coincidence that the blogger mentions a RW movie, Jumanji.

chaos

#52 Post by chaos » Wed Aug 13, 2014 7:07 am

Some of the stuff in this thread might fit better here: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=1094&hilit=depression

Just saying.
Last edited by chaos on Wed Aug 13, 2014 7:11 am, edited 2 times in total.

chaos

#53 Post by chaos » Wed Aug 13, 2014 7:10 am

Essence_Smith

#54 Post by Essence_Smith » Wed Aug 13, 2014 7:54 am

chaos wrote:Some of the stuff in this thread might fit better here: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=1094&hilit=depression

Just saying.
:nod:
All of this because someone decided to be "funny" and focus on the way someone died as opposed to the way he lived and how many lives he touched, etc...

Back to Robin...my son wasn't sure who he was till I mentioned that he was the guy in Jumanji which he saw recently and loved...when I made that reference he paused for a bit and looked a little sad. Definitely a great talent and by all accounts a pretty decent human being...

Sue

#55 Post by Sue » Wed Aug 13, 2014 8:11 am

I remember seeing this and laughing SO hard...at his best he was charming, funny and brilliant.

SR

#56 Post by SR » Wed Aug 13, 2014 8:25 am

The usual suspects with predicable results here.

Depression is no joke. I've mentioned it before, but for anyone who's interested in depressions particulars with a peak into its essence, read William Styron's Darkness Visible

Rip robin.

SR

#57 Post by SR » Wed Aug 13, 2014 8:36 am

Romeo wrote:you do realize that committing suicide null and voids any life insurance you had.
So now not only does your family have to live with the pain of suicide, they also are left without any money.

I have a friend who's 80 something year old Aunt decided to "punch the clock". They were hoping the coroner ruled it "accidental overdose" given her age and not "suicide" or they wouldn't of had the money to bury the old broad.
Depends on the policy. I've checked. Some honor a suicide after some years....3 or 4

Artemis

#59 Post by Artemis » Wed Aug 13, 2014 8:49 am

Read a good fb post today. I'm sure it's been making the rounds, but I will post here anyway:
Some people are being judgmental & rude in the unfortunate passing of the great Robin Williams and it's really upsetting how people can try to make themselves seem superior even in his and his family's pain.

Sometimes we take take and take and forget to refill, replace &/or replenish.. If there was a well full of water, and you were thirsty... You would most likely drink from this well everyday until the well ran dry, I mean what's the point in having access to all this water if we can't enjoy it right? ... No harm no foul... Or so we think. People do this with people too... I understand that sensation of being drained & pulled in every direction & left dry... I know many people who deal with that daily & I know of people who take selfishly daily too. To feel more lonely in a room full of people than when you're by yourself, no one understands this?

Robin Williams gave and gave and gave and when you're the life of the party, the one with that great warm & inviting smile and everyone expects for you to be the entertainment, who entertains him? Who replenishes his spirit and energy? Although many of us feel a certain way in regards to suicide and feel it's a very selfish act, whether it is or not, many people who do commit suicide are plagued with a very sad and hard mental illness they can't control. Fame, money, & fans doesn't equal complete bliss, peace & happiness. Don't be so quick to say he had it all.

Robin Williams made several statements and was quoted for years and if you read or listened to what he was consistent with, this poor man was sick for a long time and was honest about his depression and loneliness. Maybe his cries for help? We don't really know. Maybe he was as funny and genius in his talent and gave his all to his craft and us because that was when he felt loved and appreciated the most or not alone. I don't condone suicide or any life being taken in any form, but I think we all can understand in some capacity, wether small or big, the feeling of being alone or feeling like no one understands. Instead of condemning this man, let's remember his legacy, his legend, his genius, his talent, his contribution to making you laugh and smile when you were down and out & allow his family to grieve without your harsh comments and judgements. You never know what people are going through & people don't always know what you're going through. Be there for your loved ones & let them be there for you... Reciprocate & have gratitude for great people in your life.

In the word of #SmokeyRobinson

♪♫ People say I'm the life of the party
'Cause I tell a joke or two
Although I might be laughing loud and hearty
Deep inside I'm blue

So take a good look at my face
You'll see my smile looks out of place
If you look closer, it's easy to trace
The tracks of my tears.... ♪♫

@Jaspar: The Fisher King is one of my favourite Robin Williams movies. It's been many years since I last saw it. another viewing is on my umemployed "to do" list.

Romeo

#60 Post by Romeo » Wed Aug 13, 2014 9:25 am

Chronic or manic Depression is a horrible disease to live with, but it can be managed with medication and therapy. That's the thing, it on it's own is not terminal. But as I recently learned with my Nephew's basement guest, you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink (but to be fair she also is bi-polar, OCD and a eating disorder) As much as we tried to guide her to take her meds, go to therapy, go to social services and hold down a job.
She was not capable of doing any of those things for any amount of time or managing her illness on her own.

It's sad

Romeo

#61 Post by Romeo » Wed Aug 13, 2014 9:27 am

SR wrote:
Romeo wrote:you do realize that committing suicide null and voids any life insurance you had.
So now not only does your family have to live with the pain of suicide, they also are left without any money.

I have a friend who's 80 something year old Aunt decided to "punch the clock". They were hoping the coroner ruled it "accidental overdose" given her age and not "suicide" or they wouldn't of had the money to bury the old broad.
Depends on the policy. I've checked. Some honor a suicide after some years....3 or 4
well we were all holding our breath on the Aunt's autopsy findings!

They ruled it accidental.
But it wasn't :neutral:

perkana

#62 Post by perkana » Wed Aug 13, 2014 9:45 am

Romeo wrote:Chronic or manic Depression is a horrible disease to live with, but it can be managed with medication and therapy. That's the thing, it on it's own is not terminal. But as I recently learned with my Nephew's basement guest, you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink (but to be fair she also is bi-polar, OCD and a eating disorder) As much as we tried to guide her to take her meds, go to therapy, go to social services and hold down a job.
She was not capable of doing any of those things for any amount of time or managing her illness on her own.

It's sad
Sounds like she needs to be checked into a clinic. Here you can be checked by a relative if they think you might kill yourself. I think I was lucky with my family, we already had experience with my sister who became an anorexic at 14. When I had my first severe bout of depression at 21, my folks took me to her psychiatrist. I've been seeing him for 18 years now.

chaos

#63 Post by chaos » Wed Aug 13, 2014 9:48 am

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2014 ... /13948045/

Robin Williams was a Secret Santa to sick kids

Elizabeth Weise, USATODAY 9:43 a.m. EDT August 13, 2014

SAN FRANCISCO - Robin Williams was not just a remarkable performer, he was also a humanitarian who reached out to people in need, often without needing or wanting publicity for his efforts.

Pediatrician Carrie Chen did her residency at the University of California-San Francisco. "The nurses always told us that that he came in every Christmas Day," she said. "No one knew about it, he just came in."

Chen remembered that on Christmas Day in 1998 she was part of a team of pediatricians at San Francisco General Hospital who had just finished stabilizing a premature baby born at 28 weeks.

Williams had come onto the pediatric ward with toys for all the patients.

He asked where all the obstetricians and pediatricians were and the nurses told him they'd been in with a premie.

"He asked if he could come in and because they baby was stable, we said yes," she said.

When Williams saw the tiny baby, he "completely teared up. He looked us each in the eye and thanked us for being there to take care of this child on Christmas Day," she said.

Then he went out onto the ward and gave each child a new Nintendo video game, at the time a very popular—and expensive—gift. "It wasn't just little present he was giving," Chen remembered.

"I think he just truly wanted to do good. He didn't care about the publicity. No one knew he was there, he just slipped in. He just wanted to come and give those children a Christmas present," she said.

chaos

#64 Post by chaos » Wed Aug 13, 2014 9:53 am

http://theburtonwire.com/2014/08/12/pol ... ryor-show/

VIDEO: Remembering Robin Williams on The Richard Pryor Show
August 12, 2014 by TheBurtonWire

Legendary comedians Robin Williams, Richard Pryor and actor Burt Reynolds at the Comedy Store in 1970s (Tumblr).

The world is reeling from the death of beloved actor/comedian Robin Williams. While many attribute Williams’ start to his role on the sitcom Mork & Mindy, what many don’t know is that Williams got his start in show business from legendary comedian Richard Pryor. Williams comedic potential is evident in these classic performances from the short-lived, yet classic The Richard Pryor Show. The comedic genius of Pryor and Williams is on full display in these scenes. Williams’ work as a comedian and actor resulted in an Oscar win for Best Supporting Actor in the film Good Will Hunting.

Watch his brilliant performances on The Richard Pryor Show and his 1998 Academy Awards acceptance speech below.

NNSFW (Not necessarily safe for work)

chaos

#65 Post by chaos » Wed Aug 13, 2014 9:58 am

Romeo

#66 Post by Romeo » Wed Aug 13, 2014 10:00 am

perkana wrote:
Romeo wrote:Chronic or manic Depression is a horrible disease to live with, but it can be managed with medication and therapy. That's the thing, it on it's own is not terminal. But as I recently learned with my Nephew's basement guest, you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink (but to be fair she also is bi-polar, OCD and a eating disorder) As much as we tried to guide her to take her meds, go to therapy, go to social services and hold down a job.

It's sad
Sounds like she needs to be checked into a clinic. Here you can be checked by a relative if they think you might kill yourself. I think I was lucky with my family, we already had experience with my sister who became an anorexic at 14. When I had my first severe bout of depression at 21, my folks took me to her psychiatrist. I've been seeing him for 18 years now.
she was in the hospital's mental ward, twice. The first was because of suicidal thoughts, she was in a week. Got released on a Wed, they came back from vacation on Thursday and found her zonked out on a bottle of lithium. Called the ambulance, another week stay. This time they told her therapist to find her a home, she couldn't go back to their house. So the Hospital just releases her with no place to live. I'm not sure if any of the social workers at the hospital advocated for her.

They aren't a relative of hers, just friends since childhood. And I believe only a licensed professional or the Police can check you in on a mandatory 72 hour hold :sad:

chaos

#67 Post by chaos » Wed Aug 13, 2014 10:07 am

http://www.fame10.com/entertainment/10- ... -williams/

10 Things You Didn’t Know About Robin Williams
By Fame 10 Staff on August 13, 2014

Robin Williams may be gone, but it will be impossible to forget him. He was easily one of Hollywood’s most versatile actors. Even though his comedic performances seem to be best remembered, we shouldn’t forget that he was also a highly skilled dramatic actor – with a number of accolades to prove it. To commemorate Williams and his long and diverse career, we decided to put together a list of interesting facts about the Oscar-winning actor. From the type of friend he was to the names he chose for his children, here are 10 things you probably didn’t know about Robin Williams…

While he was studying at Julliard during the mid ‘70s, Robin Williams befriended Christopher Reeve. When Reeve’s was rendered a quadriplegic after a horseback riding incident, Williams cheered him up at the hospital by pretending to be an eccentric Russian doctor. According to Reeve, Williams made him laugh for the first time after the accident and it was at that moment that Christopher knew that life was going to be okay. These two remained friends until the “Superman” star’s death.

The “Birdcage” star considered himself challenged when it came to new music. He enjoyed listening to a lot of jazz – particularly Keith Jarrett’s piano solos – as well as Tom Waits, Radio and Prince.

In 2009, the “Mrs. Doubtfire” star had an operation to replace an aortic valve. He had to postpone his sold-out one-man tour, Weapons of Self Destruction, for the surgery.

Robin Williams reportedly left his first wife Valerie Velardi for his son Zak’s nanny Marsha Garces. After he and Veraldi divorced, he married Garces one year later. Together they had two children and stayed together until 2008 when she filed for divorce. Williams’ relapse is said to have played a part in their split.

Steven Spielberg reportedly used to call the “Hook” star when he was filming “Schindler’s list” and put him on speaker phone so that he could cheer the cast and crew up with jokes. Robin Williams would often use his character from “Aladdin.”

Other children didn’t want to play with Robin Williams when he was a child because he was overweight, so he used to talk in different voices to entertain himself.

In 2003, after 20 years of sobriety, the “Patch Adams” star started drinking again. “I was in a small town where it’s not the edge of the world, but you can see it from there, and then I thought: drinking. I just thought, hey, maybe drinking will help. Because I felt alone and afraid. It was that thing of working so much, and going f*ck, maybe that will help. And it was the worst thing in the world,” Williams told The Guardian. In 2006, he checked himself into rehab.

Robin Williams was a close friend of the late John Belushi. These two partied together during the late ‘70s and early ‘80s. Williams was one of the last people to see Belushi alive before he died of a drug overdose in 1982. According to the Oscar-winning actor, the death of his friend and the birth of his first son Zak are the reasons why he quit drugs and alcohol. “Was it a wake-up call? Oh yeah, on a huge level. The grand jury helped too,” Williams said.

The “Good Morning, Vietnam” star was a video games enthusiast. He named the two children that he had with Marsha Garces after video game characters. His daughter Zelda Rae was named after Princess Zelda from “The Legend of Zelda” and his son Cody Alan was named after Cody from the beat ‘em game “Final Flight.”

Robin Williams lent his voice to the Genie in “Aladdin” for SAG scale pay, $75,000; however, his only conditions were that his name and image could not be used for marketing and that the Genie couldn’t take up more than 25% on advertising artwork. The studio ended up going back on both agreements, which caused a bitter falling out between Williams and Disney. They ended up reconciling in 2009 and Williams’ agreed to be inducted as a Disney Legend.

chaos

#68 Post by chaos » Wed Aug 13, 2014 10:11 am

A man walks his dog past a mural depicting actor Robin Williams in downtown Belgrade, Serbia on Aug. 13. Andrej Isakovic, AFP/Getty Images

SR

#69 Post by SR » Wed Aug 13, 2014 10:26 am

I am not shocked at all by the accounts of him. Altruism is hard to see, obviously

Romeo

#70 Post by Romeo » Wed Aug 13, 2014 10:58 am

Conan's personal story was great
as was Norm MacDonald's
http://www.usmagazine.com/celebrity-new ... eo-2014138

tvrec

#71 Post by tvrec » Wed Aug 13, 2014 11:05 am

Obama's official statement:
"Robin Williams was an airman, a doctor, a genie, a nanny, a president, a professor, a bangarang Peter Pan, and everything in between. But he was one of a kind. He arrived in our lives as an alien – but he ended up touching every element of the human spirit. He made us laugh. He made us cry. He gave his immeasurable talent freely and generously to those who needed it most – from our troops stationed abroad to the marginalized on our own streets. The Obama family offers our condolences to Robin’s family, his friends, and everyone who found their voice and their verse thanks to Robin Williams."

SR

#72 Post by SR » Wed Aug 13, 2014 11:13 am

Earned

chaos

#73 Post by chaos » Wed Aug 13, 2014 11:16 am

Romeo wrote:Conan's personal story was great
as was Norm MacDonald's
http://www.usmagazine.com/celebrity-new ... eo-2014138
Great clip:

sinep

#74 Post by sinep » Wed Aug 13, 2014 12:26 pm

Six7Six7 wrote:
Xizen47 wrote:
Six7Six7 wrote:By the way, my father is dead too
Good for him :rockon:

He dosen't have to see what a douchebag son he had
Thanks. You're such a nice person, being happy for the grusome murder of others.

You should be very proud of yourself. :nod:
I knew you were a trustfund kid, but I didn't know your dad was murdered.

That must be difficult to deal with. How old were you when it happened? Who murdered him? Do you ever compare yourself to batman?

sinep

#75 Post by sinep » Wed Aug 13, 2014 12:30 pm

Romeo wrote:basement guest.... (but to be fair she also is bi-polar, OCD and a eating disorder)
That doesn't sound like it would be very fun to have that in your basement.