So, uh, seen any good movies lately?

off-topic conversation unrelated to Jane's Addiction
Xizen47

Re: So, uh, seen any good movies lately?

#176 Post by Xizen47 » Tue Jan 31, 2012 4:00 pm

hokahey wrote:I watched Moneyball last night. I thought it was excellent. Howewever, I am a baseball fan which I'm sure helped me appreciate the movie more than I would have otherwise.

Proud to be an A's fan since day 1 :wiggle:

Even though our owner is currently flushing the team down the drain :mad:

Larry B.

#177 Post by Larry B. » Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:47 am

Just saw Stardust, recommended by my Israeli friend that visited me last week.

Claire Danes is painfully beautiful.

And this must be the first fantasy film I've ever seen. If I had read the plot first, I'd never seen it... but it turned out to be pretty fun. The cast and performances are quite good, and everything was so ridiculous it ended up being enjoyable. A nice romantic/fantastic comedy.

perkana

#178 Post by perkana » Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:23 pm

I enjoyed watching Robert DeNiro wearing a dress and singing :lol:

Larry B.

#179 Post by Larry B. » Thu Feb 02, 2012 6:20 am

perkana wrote:I enjoyed watching Robert DeNiro wearing a dress and singing :lol:
Yup, definitely a highlight of the movie :thumb: :thumb:

tubro

#180 Post by tubro » Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:56 pm

paradise lost part 3 on hbo about the west memphis 3 - great.
descendants - very good if you like alexander payne. painful if you don't.
and last night i watched one of the worst B movies of all time but whenever its on, i find myself drawn to it like roadkill. so while it doesn't really fit this category since its not a good movie, i heartily recommend 'May' for late night insomnia theater.

Larry B.

#181 Post by Larry B. » Fri Feb 03, 2012 5:15 pm

I just watched 'Contagion'. Watchable, but kinda flat. 6/10. Lame ending.

I laughed when I saw Cliff Martinez's name in the credits. He composed the movie's uneventful music.

Matz

#182 Post by Matz » Fri Feb 03, 2012 7:04 pm

Cliff Martinez is pretty brillant though. If anyone doubt that watch the movie Solaris. Super beautiful music, and it's a cool movie as well

kv

#183 Post by kv » Sat Feb 04, 2012 12:24 am

cursed male wrote:The Hunter (2011)

http://trailers.apple.com/trailers/magnolia/thehunter/

One of the best movies of 2011.
watched this last night hasn't even been released in the states yet..but can already guess it won't be on my top of 2012 list...was ok just nothing special...think it comes out in the states in april

Matz

#184 Post by Matz » Sat Feb 04, 2012 5:12 am

watched Inside man yesterday. Great heist movie, Clive Owen is really cool in it

perkana

#185 Post by perkana » Sat Feb 04, 2012 8:49 am

I saw the other day "Mother and Child" with Naomi Watts and Annette Bening. All I have to say that there are quite a few movies that get to me and that I can't stop thinking about them, and this is one of those. Just checked the imdb page, no wonder I liked it, it was written and directed by Rodrigo García, Gabriel García Márquez son.

farrellgirl99

#186 Post by farrellgirl99 » Sat Feb 04, 2012 3:57 pm

saw this today. michelle williams was very good. if it wasn't such a tough year for the best actress category, i bet she'd take it.

tubro

#187 Post by tubro » Sat Feb 04, 2012 4:45 pm

farrellgirl99 wrote:Image

saw this today. michelle williams was very good. if it wasn't such a tough year for the best actress category, i bet she'd take it.
looking forward to that. when i named a few films here the other day i forgot about having seen blue valentine recently in which she and ryan gosling give an acting clinic. sad as shit but man are they both great.

chaos

#188 Post by chaos » Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:10 am

NYRexall wrote:Oh and...

Dark Days (2000/2010 10th Anniversary edition)

A documentary, shot completely in black and white, about the homeless community living in the abandoned subway tunnels under NYC between 1995 - 1999, with musical score by DJ Shadow.

Pretty fascinating stuff. They even had electricity down there.
I saw this documentary some time ago (not the anniversary edition though).

There is a moving tribute to a homeless artist who lived in the tunnels and died there in a fire a few days ago.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/02/07/nyreg ... &seid=auto

Artemis

#189 Post by Artemis » Sun Feb 12, 2012 7:53 am

Saw Tinker,Taiolor,Soldier, Spy yesterday - excellent!

The movie is not fast moving but the tension really grips you. The film is well shot, superb acting and cast too. Gary Oldman was brilliant! :worship:
Not sure how the film compares to the book as I've not read it.

Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy – review
The new adaptation of John le Carré's novel is a brilliant study of the disenchantment, compromise and tension of the 1970s spy game

Director Tomas Alfredson came to prominence with Let the Right One In, a story about vampires, but his instinctive, even passionate sympathy for the undead was never better displayed than here. This is a skin-crawlingly atmospheric, uncompromisingly cerebral and austere account of John le Carré's cold war espionage novel, adapted for the screen by Peter Straughan and the late Bridget O'Connor. Gary Oldman plays the melancholy agent George Smiley, brought out of his humiliating retirement and charged with rooting out a Soviet mole in the upper reaches of the secret service.

Could it be Alleline (Toby Jones), Haydon (Colin Firth), Bland (Ciarán Hinds), Estherhase (David Dencik) – or someone else? Like Michael Corleone contemplating Fredo's duplicity, Smiley's face is a mask of icy determination. He is also suppressing emotional agony. One of these men has betrayed him personally.

When the BBC television adaptation with Alec Guinness was on the air in 1979, this was contemporary drama. Now it's a 70s period piece. Distance lends yet more disenchantment to the view. We are miles away from Bond glamour: defeating the clearly defined bad guy, getting the girl, and so on. This is an arena of shabby compromises enacted by anxious middle-aged men who feel, to quote Kathy Burke's research agent Connie Sachs, "seriously under-fucked". It is a tatty, nasty, shabby and stiflingly male world of beige and grey, seen through a dreary particulate haze – fag-ash and dandruff. The interiors and government offices are lit with a pallid, headachey glow. Every room looks like a morgue, and the corpses are walking around, filling out chits, wearing ill-fitting suits, having whispered conversations, giving and receiving bollockings and worrying about loyalty.

The movie brilliantly conjures up the heavy weather of Le Carré's spy game: it involves nothing like derring-do, but a ritual of humiliation and a ballet of shame in which the security services play their part in managing decline and managing denial, and the Brit spooks try to rebuild their reputation with the Americans – the only people with secrets worth keeping – in their calamitous post-Philby world. Alfredson shows how the profession of secrets meshes with sexual shame, heterosexual and homosexual: perhaps because married womanisers and in-the-closet gay men are good at pretence and doublethink, and perhaps because they yearn for a world which makes a virtue of deceit. In his visit to Moscow this week, David Cameron regaled his hosts with an ingenuous anecdote about being approached as a fresh-faced teenager during a Russian trip in his 1985 gap year. Two men encountered him on a beach, then took him to lunch, then dinner, and flatteringly asked him about politics. Cameron laughingly says it was a "KGB interview". Well, yes. But were they to collaborate on a film version, Le Carré and Alfredson might give us a clearer hint about the subtexts to this predatory encounter.

The somnambulist gloom of Tinker, Tailor is animated by two chillingly realised setpieces: in one, an agent named Prideaux (Mark Strong) is summoned by the spy-chief Control, played by John Hurt, and ordered to go to Budapest where he is to bring in a Hungarian general who wants to come over to the west and reveal the mole's identity. His initial meeting with a third party at a far-from-innocuous cafe takes place in circumstances crackling with unease, an almost Truman Show theatre of paranoia. A droplet of sweat from the waiter's brow lands on the table, like the first sign of a thunderstorm. The meeting ends in calamity, and is to trigger the forced resignation of Control and Smiley, an unjust humiliation they accept like the good chaps they are.

The second setpiece takes place in Turkey, and involves the young hothead Ricki Tarr, played by Tom Hardy, the nearest thing this drama has to a Bond figure. Tarr is an other-ranks figure in his blue denim shirt, not a member of the Smiley officer class, spying on a louche military attache. Alfredson creates a tremendous Rear Window tableau of sex and violence in the distant lighted windows of grim apartment buildings. Romantically, in the middle of this bloodbath, Tarr is to fall in love with this man's beautiful wife Irina (Svetlana Khodchenkova), who is in a position to give him far more important intelligence than the man he is following. At a crucial stage in the proceedings, Tarr promises to help Smiley, but makes him give a vital promise in return, and the consequent betrayal colours the drama with yet more dishonesty and bad faith.

This Tinker Tailor is a weightless, slo-mo nightmare taking place in what looks like an aquarium filled with poison gas instead of water: I found it more gripping and involving than any crash-bang action picture, and it is anchored by Gary Oldman's tragic mandarin, a variation on Alec Guinness which transfers the emphasis away from George Smiley's wounded feelings to his cool capacity for unconcern in the face of violence, a hint of a daredevil past, long mummified by bureaucratic self-control and a schoolmasterly scorn for his victim's weakness and disloyalty, while seeing how easily any agent could give the wretched Judas kiss. What a treat this film is, and what an unexpected thrill.

Lokus

#190 Post by Lokus » Sun Feb 12, 2012 9:34 am

Matz wrote:Cliff Martinez is pretty brillant though. If anyone doubt that watch the movie Solaris. Super beautiful music, and it's a cool movie as well
Yeah, he's become a big name in "ambient film scores". He did the score for Traffic. I listen to some ambient internet music channels often while doing work and his stuff pops up a lot.

Lokus

#191 Post by Lokus » Sun Feb 12, 2012 9:39 am

chaos wrote:I wanted to like this movie, but I almost stopped watching the DVD after the first 20-25 minutes. I stuck it out and it got better. I could see where/what the filmmaker was trying to go/do, but it just didn't work.
I just watched it last night and feel the exact same way. The concept of an entire movie of first-person perspective dream-like memory sequences with little dialogue, although unconventional, I wanted to be down with it. However, a little bit more of a linear plot would have helped. The thing that really made me decide I didn't like the movie is the ending. It seemed like they just needed to end it somehow, so they tacked on this BS heaven sequence.

JOEinPHX

#192 Post by JOEinPHX » Sun Feb 12, 2012 11:27 am

Just as good as I remember it being.

Just as bad as i thought it would be. Nick Cage should not be allowed to play super heroes.

nausearockpig

#193 Post by nausearockpig » Sun Feb 12, 2012 1:48 pm

I watched Alien Resurrection on the weekend. It's my least favourite of all four Alien movies but still it had cool bits... and it wasn't too long...

Pandemonium

#194 Post by Pandemonium » Sun Feb 12, 2012 5:30 pm

Lokus wrote:
Matz wrote:Cliff Martinez is pretty brillant though. If anyone doubt that watch the movie Solaris. Super beautiful music, and it's a cool movie as well
Yeah, he's become a big name in "ambient film scores". He did the score for Traffic. I listen to some ambient internet music channels often while doing work and his stuff pops up a lot.
Three semi-recent so-called ambient film scores I would highly recommend checking out if you haven't already are the scores for "The Prestige," "The Fountain" and hardest to find, "The Machinist."

Pandemonium

#195 Post by Pandemonium » Sun Feb 12, 2012 6:00 pm

Six7Six7 wrote:Just as bad as i thought it would be. Nick Cage should not be allowed to play super heroes.
There's a Ghostrider sequel that Cage filmed about 2 years ago that's finally getting released soon that looks every bit as stupid as the first one was. Then there's the aborted Nicolas Cage Superman movie that was going to be directed by Tim Burton about 8 years ago that had the plug pulled just as they went into production.

Cage is a huge comics and monster movie buff. Over a decade ago when he had money to burn, he routinely blew hundreds of thousands of dollars on comics and movie memorabilia. The biggest deal I can recall, he bought a copy of Superman (Action Comics) #1 for something like $200k, lost it in a home theft, recovered it a decade later and just sold it through auction for something like $2 million. The last year, he's been selling all his stuff through agents on eBay and auction houses as I guess he has major back owed tax issues.

Larry B.

#196 Post by Larry B. » Sun Feb 12, 2012 6:20 pm

Plus, he's a vampire. Can't trust'em.

JOEinPHX

#197 Post by JOEinPHX » Sun Feb 12, 2012 6:22 pm

yeah he does pretty much every movie offered to him now, just to try to pay off his tax debt so he doesn't end up like Wesley Snipes.

Matz

#198 Post by Matz » Sun Feb 12, 2012 6:51 pm

Pandemonium wrote:
Lokus wrote:
Three semi-recent so-called ambient film scores I would highly recommend checking out if you haven't already are the scores for "The Prestige," "The Fountain" and hardest to find, "The Machinist."
just watched The Machinist for the first time not long ago. I'm really impressed with Christian Bale as an actor and what he's willing to put his body through to nail a part. Try to compare him in The Machinist with American Psycho fx. pretty impressive

Larry B.

#199 Post by Larry B. » Sun Feb 12, 2012 7:46 pm

I hated, HATED The Machinist. Easily one of the most overrated flicks I've seen.

Pandemonium

#200 Post by Pandemonium » Sun Feb 12, 2012 8:17 pm

Larry B. wrote:I hated, HATED The Machinist. Easily one of the most overrated flicks I've seen.
I didn't hate it but I do think it's very over rated aside from Bale's physically amazing transformation to do the role. It's essentially a knock-off of something you'd expect from M. Night Shyamalan (in his better days) like Sixth Sense with the "trick ending" thing. I will say the scene with the machine shop accident is pretty harrowing, as I saw a few comparable things like that in my sheet metal mechanic/aerospace days.

But I love the soundtrack which is a neat homage/rip-off of arguably the greatest film music composer of all time, Bernard Herrmann's more otherworldly movie scores complete with Theremin.