Bandit72

Re: English Football

#151 Post by Bandit72 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:20 am

Not English football, but....

Larry B.

#152 Post by Larry B. » Sun Aug 11, 2013 4:09 am

So, today is the big day.

First official match under Moyes. I'm so excited, I had trouble falling asleep last night.

Can't fucking wait.

Jammyshill

#153 Post by Jammyshill » Sat Aug 17, 2013 5:33 am

New season starts today, and here in Manchester the weather is nice and apt for the football season. Should be the most interesting in a while thanks to all the managerial changes, my money is on Chelsea. Here's hoping the Special One is still as entertaining as ever.

Larry B.

#154 Post by Larry B. » Sat Aug 17, 2013 8:41 am

Jammyshill wrote:New season starts today, and here in Manchester the weather is nice and apt for the football season. Should be the most interesting in a while thanks to all the managerial changes, my money is on Chelsea. Here's hoping the Special One is still as entertaining as ever.
Same here.

Can I ask what team you support?

BTW, the Arsenal vs. Villa match... damn, such entertainment!

Jammyshill

#155 Post by Jammyshill » Sat Aug 17, 2013 10:14 am

Larry B. wrote:
Jammyshill wrote:New season starts today, and here in Manchester the weather is nice and apt for the football season. Should be the most interesting in a while thanks to all the managerial changes, my money is on Chelsea. Here's hoping the Special One is still as entertaining as ever.
Same here.

In the Premier League Man Utd, though also Blackburn Rovers in the Championship (how we've fallen).

Enjoying the start of Moyes' reign, and it looks like the ref had a shocker in the Arsenal game.

Larry B.

#156 Post by Larry B. » Sat Aug 17, 2013 7:32 pm

Jammyshill wrote:
Larry B. wrote:
Same here.

In the Premier League Man Utd, though also Blackburn Rovers in the Championship (how we've fallen).

Enjoying the start of Moyes' reign, and it looks like the ref had a shocker in the Arsenal game.
I knew you had good taste :P

I'm loving Moyes. Wondering if United will sign anyone.

Did you see Sagna's injury? He's alright, but he could've been seriously hurt.

Jammyshill

#157 Post by Jammyshill » Sat Aug 17, 2013 11:05 pm

Meh, that's par for the course in England. Get up and play on...

Bandit72

#158 Post by Bandit72 » Mon Aug 19, 2013 12:27 pm

Benteke is a 6'3 version of Mike Tyson.

Larry B.

#159 Post by Larry B. » Mon Aug 19, 2013 3:45 pm

:lol: :lol:

Larry B.

#160 Post by Larry B. » Wed Feb 12, 2014 7:32 am

Bandit72

#161 Post by Bandit72 » Wed Feb 12, 2014 7:52 am

Brilliant

Larry B.

#162 Post by Larry B. » Mon Apr 21, 2014 11:09 am

Well, it seems like the day has come...

Artemis

#163 Post by Artemis » Mon Apr 21, 2014 3:48 pm

Larry, you must be getting excited about your trip to Brazil, eh? Less than 2 months to go! :aoa:

Bandit72

#164 Post by Bandit72 » Tue Apr 22, 2014 12:32 am

Larry B. wrote:Well, it seems like the day has come...

Wrong person, always was, I just found it a bit weird how they've done it. And what if the next manager does the same? Will they can him too?

Larry B.

#165 Post by Larry B. » Tue Apr 22, 2014 1:17 am

They're strange times indeed. Are they going to pick a manager not from the islands for the first time ever? Will they try to get Rodgers, after he made Liverpool champions?

A part of me wanted to see United stick with Moyes, but from certain angle you just can't see it work out. I blame him for bringing in a terrible backroom staff and poor training sessions more than anything else. None of the players seemed to like him, he seemed to be really rigid and naive in terms of tactics, his handling of the press was disastrous, his undying love for Rooney pissed me off personally... so maybe Carragher was right when he said that Moyes' reign was untenable.

The rumours are pointing towards Van Gaal and Klopp, but the issue of Britishness comes up again. If it wasn't a requirement, why didn't you go for Mourinho in the first place?! He was begging for the job last season.
Artemis wrote:Larry, you must be getting excited about your trip to Brazil, eh? Less than 2 months to go! :aoa:
I am indeed! Already making plans where to go in each city, determining whether I bring the iPad with me or not, and minute shit like that. Tickets should be shipped by the 2nd week of May, so I'm still a bit nervous about that. I want those tickets in my hands ASAP.

Bandit72

#166 Post by Bandit72 » Tue Apr 22, 2014 2:17 am

Larry B. wrote:They're strange times indeed. Are they going to pick a manager not from the islands for the first time ever? Will they try to get Rodgers, after he made Liverpool champions?

A part of me wanted to see United stick with Moyes, but from certain angle you just can't see it work out. I blame him for bringing in a terrible backroom staff and poor training sessions more than anything else. None of the players seemed to like him, he seemed to be really rigid and naive in terms of tactics, his handling of the press was disastrous, his undying love for Rooney pissed me off personally... so maybe Carragher was right when he said that Moyes' reign was untenable.

The rumours are pointing towards Van Gaal and Klopp, but the issue of Britishness comes up again. If it wasn't a requirement, why didn't you go for Mourinho in the first place?! He was begging for the job last season.
Artemis wrote:Larry, you must be getting excited about your trip to Brazil, eh? Less than 2 months to go! :aoa:
I am indeed! Already making plans where to go in each city, determining whether I bring the iPad with me or not, and minute shit like that. Tickets should be shipped by the 2nd week of May, so I'm still a bit nervous about that. I want those tickets in my hands ASAP.
It's a fact that Mourinho was gutted he didn't get the job. He's probably smug as ever now. There is a lot more quality across a broader spectrum of teams in the EPL and has been for the last 2 or 3 years. It will be tough for them. They should have sold Rooney to Madrid in my opinion. Things would have been a lot better then.

Larry B.

#167 Post by Larry B. » Tue Apr 22, 2014 3:40 am

Yes, I absolutely agree with you. Most of Moyes' priorities seemed strange and very non-Man United: keeping Rooney (Real, PSG or any shitty Italian club would've been reasonable destinations,) trying to play possession-based, crossing football (?), always being a nice guy with the media...

Now, getting Mou is almost impossible. I reckon United hurt his pride way too badly. Klopp has already said no. Van Gaal can't take over until the Netherlands are out of the World Cup (hopefully by June 23 :hehe: .) Are we really getting Blanc? A French guy managing Man United? :jasper: Then again, he did alright at Bordeaux and hasn't been bad at PSG. What do I know...

Larry B.

#168 Post by Larry B. » Tue Apr 22, 2014 6:50 am

http://www.calciomercato.com/news/dimar ... nho-217418

Apparently, that journalist is quite reliable. But of course, it only states that United has made contact, not that Mourinho has said anything. It also says that Klopp couldn't say yes until 2015 and that Van Gaal would take the job "now" (which I imagine means "after the World Cup".)

He mentions that in the past, Ancellotti has wanted the Man United job, but now he'll get the treble with Real Madrid and I don't think he'll want to leave.

phenobarb_bambalam

#169 Post by phenobarb_bambalam » Fri Apr 25, 2014 12:41 am

Larry B. wrote: The rumours are pointing towards Van Gaal and Klopp, but the issue of Britishness comes up again. If it wasn't a requirement, why didn't you go for Mourinho in the first place?! He was begging for the job last season.
At the time, I was hearing whispers about how Mourinho was deemed 'too controversial' for United, and that makes sense to me. My disdain for United runs deep, but they have done a good job of building and maintaining what is a huge global brand. I just can't imagine United taking a risk with a renegade character like Mourinho.

van Gaal has had his moments too, but I don't think his acting up has ever hurt the brand in the way plonker Mourinho could. That's my tuppence worth anyway...