Perfect Storm 2012

off-topic conversation unrelated to Jane's Addiction
SR

Re: Perfect Storm 2012

#101 Post by SR » Tue Oct 30, 2012 1:40 pm

Glad yr well. I understood your post feeling helpless with the kiddos. The worst feeling as a parent.

Artemis

#102 Post by Artemis » Tue Oct 30, 2012 5:05 pm

Glad to hear most people here are okay.I guess we are waiting for a few more to check in..

Someone posted this vid on facebook today. Doesn't look like some subway stations will be operational anytime soon.

farrellgirl99

#103 Post by farrellgirl99 » Tue Oct 30, 2012 6:13 pm

dear lord :banghead:
Bush’s FEMA Director During Katrina Criticizes Obama For Responding To Sandy Too Quickly
http://thinkprogress.org/security/2012/ ... ama-sandy/

Artemis

#104 Post by Artemis » Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:21 pm

farrellgirl99 wrote:dear lord :banghead:
Bush’s FEMA Director During Katrina Criticizes Obama For Responding To Sandy Too Quickly
Wow. What a shameless idiot that guy is. :no:

Pandemonium

#105 Post by Pandemonium » Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:49 pm

farrellgirl99 wrote:dear lord :banghead:
This asshole has absolutely no room to talk about others handling of a major crisis.

ellis

#106 Post by ellis » Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:35 am

http://gothamist.com/2012/10/31/outrage ... _a_dis.php

It's a tough thing to read... but eye-opening for those of us who do not live in NYC.

Essence_Smith

#107 Post by Essence_Smith » Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:50 am

I have heard MANY conflicting accounts of whats going on in downtown Manhattan...I actually made it to work in midtown Manhattan today from Westchester via an express bus...I think the normal time is a little over an hour but with traffic it took me nearly 3 to get here...I had a few coworkers who've commuted from Brooklyn that drove and walked through lower Manhattan and they all said there are a few stores open...Midtown is as busy as every and pretty much every museum in town has a HUGE crowd outside as we now have an abundance of tourists who probably aren't sure when they'll be able to return home, etc. The traffic light thing is true...and if you live in the projects in the LES or in Queens I'm guessing it IS pretty fucked up right about now...Red Cross is out hardcore in my area but obviously it varies all over town and since I don't technically live in NYC any longer I am seeing things from a different perspective...this is indeed serious business and it should be a wakeup call for us in many many ways...I said a prayer of thanks on my commute this morning because who knows how much worse it could have been...God bless you guys and your families that have been affected...

Romeo

#108 Post by Romeo » Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:53 am

I'm here :wave: I'm alive. I still don't have power & haven't showered since Monday BUT I finally made it in to work today. My whole area is a mess. Poor Blackula area is gone. We now have a sewage issue because the bay park sewage treatment plant is off line. So they're pumping sewage into Reynolds Channel :jasper:

My nephew in Baldwin got power last night so I'm going over there after work to shower.

farrellgirl99

#109 Post by farrellgirl99 » Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:40 pm

Romeo wrote:I'm here :wave: I'm alive. I still don't have power & haven't showered since Monday BUT I finally made it in to work today. My whole area is a mess. Poor Blackula area is gone. We now have a sewage issue because the bay park sewage treatment plant is off line. So they're pumping sewage into Reynolds Channel :jasper:

My nephew in Baldwin got power last night so I'm going over there after work to shower.
Glad you're okay! Hope you get power back soon.

Essence_Smith

#110 Post by Essence_Smith » Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:59 pm

Romeo wrote:I'm here :wave: I'm alive. I still don't have power & haven't showered since Monday BUT I finally made it in to work today. My whole area is a mess. Poor Blackula area is gone. We now have a sewage issue because the bay park sewage treatment plant is off line. So they're pumping sewage into Reynolds Channel :jasper:

Glad you're ok and back to work etc... :wave:

SR

#111 Post by SR » Thu Nov 01, 2012 2:26 pm

This has been scary to watch. I am glad yr ok

blackula

#112 Post by blackula » Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:32 pm

Glad you're okay Romeo! We just got power here in Rockville Centre where I'm staying. I am fortunate enough to have in-laws in RVC that I can stay with....for the next 2-3 months! It could be worse. We evacuated and we each took our car, the computer, and a few articles of clothing. Our entire house needs to be gutted and we lost everything inside it. The surge knocked over our appliances and left pounds of mud/shit/sand everywhere. Nothing can be salvaged. Our neighbors didn't evacuate (they have a 2nd floor) and lost their car. The ocean met the bay throughout all of Long Beach and wrecked everything. Parts of the boardwalk have been washing up all over the island. We won't get power back for at least 4-6 weeks, the sewage is fucked and being dumped into Reynold's Channel, and the whole City of LB needs to be rebuilt. There's a curfew and people have been looting.

Did you see the boats on Long Beach Road in Oceanside and Island Park? Pancho's roof caved in and so many more businesses are damaged. My friend works at Trader Joe's in Oceanside and told me they won't reopen until January. My job needs electricity to operate so I'm going to be moved around until LB is operable, most likely Oceanside and RVC. Luckily I had vacation next week and 5 additional vacation days I was carrying over to 2013 so I was able to move up my vacation and add the extra days to it so I can get my shit in order.

You should have power soon. Hess opened up earlier and power seems to be going on in the surrounding businesses.

creep
Site Admin

#113 Post by creep » Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:44 pm

blackula wrote:

Glad you're okay Romeo! We just got power here in Rockville Centre where I'm staying. I am fortunate enough to have in-laws in RVC that I can stay with....for the next 2-3 months! It could be worse. We evacuated and we each took our car, the computer, and a few articles of clothing. Our entire house needs to be gutted and we lost everything inside it. The surge knocked over our appliances and left pounds of mud/shit/sand everywhere. Nothing can be salvaged. Our neighbors didn't evacuate (they have a 2nd floor) and lost their car. The ocean met the bay throughout all of Long Beach and wrecked everything. Parts of the boardwalk have been washing up all over the island. We won't get power back for at least 4-6 weeks, the sewage is fucked and being dumped into Reynold's Channel, and the whole City of LB needs to be rebuilt. There's a curfew and people have been looting.

Did you see the boats on Long Beach Road in Oceanside and Island Park? Pancho's roof caved in and so many more businesses are damaged. My friend works at Trader Joe's in Oceanside and told me they won't reopen until January. My job needs electricity to operate so I'm going to be moved around until LB is operable, most likely Oceanside and RVC. Luckily I had vacation next week and 5 additional vacation days I was carrying over to 2013 so I was able to move up my vacation and add the extra days to it so I can get my shit in order.

You should have power soon. Hess opened up earlier and power seems to be going on in the surrounding businesses.
shit...that really sucks. did you own the house and if so how does that work.... do most people have flood insurance? here is is optional and i never felt i needed it. hopefully it's mandatory there and everything will get rebuilt.

farrellgirl99

#114 Post by farrellgirl99 » Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:46 pm

Wow blackula, I'm sorry, thats terrible. You live in Long Beach? I go to the beach there sometimes and am kind of familiar with the area. This storm really knocked out the beach areas around here.

As long as the gas shortage ends soon, I am hoping to drop off donations and stuff in Rockaway this weekend. On Saturday, I'm going to Staten Island to help my friend gut out and clean her basement that got destroyed.

Essence_Smith

#115 Post by Essence_Smith » Fri Nov 02, 2012 6:49 am

I have a coworker in Long Beach who's also lost everything and is currently dealing with FEMA, etc...sorry for your loss blackula, God bless you and your family... :wavesad:

kv

#116 Post by kv » Fri Nov 02, 2012 6:54 am

"hurricane coming? thats cool"

ellis

#117 Post by ellis » Fri Nov 02, 2012 7:25 am

That's a great pic but it's actually from a storm in September, not the hurricane.

Regardless, they would've stood out during the storm that just passed.

Romeo

#118 Post by Romeo » Fri Nov 02, 2012 7:45 am

blackula wrote:

oh Blackula...I am so sorry!!!! But, at least you, your wife and baby are safe. Crap can be replaced but people can't.

Which Hess?? The one on the corner of Atlantic & Lawson? By the railroad tracks? Or the Hess on Sunrise near South Nassau?? Because THAT one runs on RVC power.
My boss has been very understanding because he is in South Massapequa and lost everything.

OH and the boat that ended up in 7-11 on Austin, the one with the dockstill attached....that's my Nephew's friends boat.

Romeo

#119 Post by Romeo » Fri Nov 02, 2012 7:51 am

ellis wrote:That's a great pic but it's actually from a storm in September, not the hurricane.

Regardless, they would've stood out during the storm that just passed.
No, they move close by in a hut and wear fatigues in extreme weather. They still stand guard by in shelter.

Romeo

#120 Post by Romeo » Fri Nov 02, 2012 7:58 am

creep wrote:
blackula wrote:

shit...that really sucks. did you own the house and if so how does that work.... do most people have flood insurance? here is is optional and i never felt i needed it. hopefully it's mandatory there and everything will get rebuilt.
If you carry a mortgage you have to have flood insurance. Gov Cuomo ordered insurance companies to drop the delectable.
But so far anyone I know that has contacted FEMA they are right on top of it.

Romeo

#121 Post by Romeo » Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:12 am

This looks like a bomb or a plane crash.

Breezy Point Queens. A fire took out 6 blocks of homes during the hight of the storm. The FDNY had issues getting there because of the flood.

amazingly, no one perished.

blackula

#122 Post by blackula » Fri Nov 02, 2012 4:39 pm

Thanks for the love!

Creep, we are currently paying a mortgage and since we're in a flood zone we are required to have flood insurance. We have a basic policy that doesn't cover contents, just the house itself. That's what most people have. It's okay, as long as the house itself is cover everything else is just stuff.

Romeo, the Hess by South Nassau, but they've been super busy the last 2 days I've driven by. Valero just opened on Long Beach Rd but that line was crazy. People waited 3 hours. The Hess at Lincoln Ave opened too, but that line was just as insane. Did you get power yet?

ellis

#123 Post by ellis » Fri Nov 02, 2012 7:30 pm

I don't want this to seem like "the right thing to say" but I'm serious... if you guys need anything PLEASE don't hesitate to ask on here.

I may not be able to directly help in any way, but ya never know. Maybe I can connect you with friends in the area.

So again... just say the word. I'll try to help in any way I can.

:heart:

Pandemonium

#124 Post by Pandemonium » Sat Nov 03, 2012 12:04 pm

Man, new reports are still coming in about how bad the destruction is along the NJ/NY coast. I cannot imagine what it's like dealing with a destroyed home and being forced to find new housing.

It's mind boggling that Bloomberg waiting until late yesterday to call off the marathon considering the state of things around Manhattan and NJ. It kind of illustrates that the local and federal government even after Katrina is unacceptably slow in understanding and dealing with this level of catastrophe.

As Ellis mentioned, if there's anything we here can do even though we're spread across the country and even globally, ask.

LJF

#125 Post by LJF » Sun Nov 04, 2012 2:42 pm

Here are some pics of the yard.
trees.JPG
trees.JPG (73.41 KiB) Viewed 5652 times
trees3.JPG
trees3.JPG (73.69 KiB) Viewed 5652 times
trees2.JPG
trees2.JPG (63.09 KiB) Viewed 5652 times