What made your day today?

off-topic conversation unrelated to Jane's Addiction
Warped

Re: What made your day today?

#3226 Post by Warped » Mon Dec 15, 2014 11:28 pm

:thumb: Yeah, its a good site with lots of info and shit and great pictures.

zdilla

#3227 Post by zdilla » Wed Dec 17, 2014 10:04 am

Sold another painting! That's two pieces sold this month!! :cool:

Warped

#3228 Post by Warped » Wed Dec 17, 2014 12:40 pm

Warped wrote::thumb: Yeah, its a good site with lots of info and shit and great pictures.
LIke this one.... :lol: :lolol: :rockon:
Attachments
group4.jpg
group4.jpg (57.63 KiB) Viewed 7854 times

crater

#3229 Post by crater » Thu Dec 18, 2014 5:35 pm

mockbee

#3230 Post by mockbee » Fri Dec 19, 2014 10:05 am

It's official!

When the apocalypse comes I have a place to pitch my tent. :banana:

Hype

#3231 Post by Hype » Fri Dec 19, 2014 11:24 am

crater wrote:
The website for Claridryl is amazing. The "small print" has me giggling. There are a bunch of really excellent videos in this "Infomercials" series.

Larry B.

#3232 Post by Larry B. » Fri Dec 19, 2014 6:21 pm

Got meself an iPad mini 2. Quite content with that.

creep
Site Admin

#3233 Post by creep » Fri Dec 19, 2014 6:31 pm

Larry B. wrote:Got meself an iPad mini 2. Quite content with that.
chile made the news here today....congrats

http://www.buzzfeed.com/ryanhatesthis/o ... .avxX6P1AO

Larry B.

#3234 Post by Larry B. » Sat Dec 20, 2014 5:42 am

creep wrote:
Larry B. wrote:Got meself an iPad mini 2. Quite content with that.
chile made the news here today....congrats

http://www.buzzfeed.com/ryanhatesthis/o ... .avxX6P1AO
:lol:

I saw that a couple of days ago... I'm speechless.

farrellgirl99

#3235 Post by farrellgirl99 » Tue Dec 23, 2014 2:26 pm

i don't cry a lot, maybe a few times a year, but this made me ugly cry tears of joy :lol:

http://jezebel.com/watch-this-little-gi ... 459787/all

Warped

#3236 Post by Warped » Sat Dec 27, 2014 4:09 am

Got the new John 5 album for xmas and i fucking love it :rockon:

Matz

#3237 Post by Matz » Sat Dec 27, 2014 4:51 am

Warped wrote:Got the new John 5 album for xmas and i fucking love it :rockon:
:thumb: he's amazing, I love it too

blackcoffee

#3238 Post by blackcoffee » Sat Dec 27, 2014 6:54 pm

bought an electric guitar. My first. I'm left-handed and the choices were few on craigslist, but found one I really like. It's a 2004, I think.

looks like this:

Larry B.

#3239 Post by Larry B. » Sat Dec 27, 2014 7:18 pm

Let me tell you that looks really fucking sweet.

nausearockpig

#3240 Post by nausearockpig » Sat Dec 27, 2014 7:26 pm

That's awesome. What sort of amp and effects do / will you have / get?

blackcoffee

#3241 Post by blackcoffee » Sun Dec 28, 2014 10:34 am

nausearockpig wrote:That's awesome. What sort of amp and effects do / will you have / get?

Thank you. Nothing, yet. I'm leaving town tomorrow for a week so I'll have to wait on finding an amp. Suggestions welcome. My brother-in-law has some effects peddles he'll let me try out, but I'm still learning how to put chords together, etc. The three songs I'm learning: Winners and Losers/Social D, Country Honk/Stones, and Satellite of Love/Lou Reed

nausearockpig

#3242 Post by nausearockpig » Sun Dec 28, 2014 2:19 pm

blackcoffee wrote:
nausearockpig wrote:That's awesome. What sort of amp and effects do / will you have / get?

Thank you. Nothing, yet. I'm leaving town tomorrow for a week so I'll have to wait on finding an amp. Suggestions welcome. My brother-in-law has some effects peddles he'll let me try out, but I'm still learning how to put chords together, etc. The three songs I'm learning: Winners and Losers/Social D, Country Honk/Stones, and Satellite of Love/Lou Reed
Depends on what you want to do - play quietly in your bedroom or eventually play in a rehearsal room and then stage... but in saying that I would stay away from shitty "good value starter" brands.... for the best overall sound a valve (as opposed to transistor/solid state) amp is the way to go but they're expensive.. I would go for a Marshall, Fender or Orange brand amp. Even a small practice amp from one of those brands will sound way better than something very cheap, and undoubtedly, shitty... A 30 watt amp is plenty for just jamming around at home and you can get some excellent amps from those brands... I've never used one but the Orange brand amps look just fucking cool.... (that is VERY important :wink: )...

I probably wouldn't get this amp http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/reviews/ ... o_takeover though I am partial to Marshall amps... I have a VS100 and it's LOUD!!!

This is a pretty good guide (but no Orange :sad: ) http://chriswhiter.hubpages.com/hub/Top ... r-Beginner

Here's a range of Fender amps that contains a good starter range: http://www.fender.com.au/fender-guitar- ... D=0&seID=0

Here's a sweet looking Orange combo amp. https://www.orangeamps.com/products/gui ... x-cr35ldx/

Your best bet is going to a shop and telling the sales guy you have $X for an amp and asking what the best one is in their shop for your needs... but more $ = a better amp..

As for pedals, I would not stray from Boss pedals - they are tough, reliable and relatively cheap. You can get them at a good price second-hand but as with all s/h stuff, you should only buy them from a reputable place where they test them before selling them on.. Depending on what you're going to be playing, you probably only need a distortion or overdrive pedal and maybe a chorus for sweet clean sounds... and maybe a delay.... and maybe a wah-wah.. (I find the problem with pedals is that you always "need" more....). There are so many Distortion / Overdrive pedals in the Boss range that it can get a little much. A lot of shops have a boss "TARDIS" thing that has every current Boss pedal attached to it and plugged in ready to go so you can try them out comparing easily.. I like the Boss DS-2 but you might like the warmer tones of an overdrive pedal rather than the crunch of a distortion pedal.. try, try, try... A word of warning though, "Boutique" pedals can be expensive and again, the range is immense.... http://deluxeguitars.com.au/effects.html. Start off simply and add to your collection as you go...

Here is a picture of my pedalboard... as you can see, it's kinda large..

This is a great site http://www.thegearpage.net/
and here is a good place to get lost and wile away the hours.... http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showth ... ?t=1459966 to get ideas of course....

Good luck on your search, you've entered a large, fun, expensive and AWESOME world... Please keep us updated on what you buy and if you need any other advice or want to bounce ideas, hit me up here, or PM me and we can email... :rockon:

blackcoffee

#3243 Post by blackcoffee » Sun Dec 28, 2014 5:17 pm

Nausearockpig--Thanks so much for this information. Very much appreciated. I'll let you know what I come up with. The Orange amps do look fucking cool. Right now, I'll concentrate on a decent amp to play in the house. Likely no stage in my future, but my brother in law already suggested that he would pull out his bass, call up his friend who plays the drums, and learn some of the songs I'm working on, or suggest others.

I'm stoked.

nausearockpig

#3244 Post by nausearockpig » Sun Dec 28, 2014 5:27 pm

blackcoffee wrote:Nausearockpig--Thanks so much for this information. Very much appreciated. I'll let you know what I come up with. The Orange amps do look fucking cool. Right now, I'll concentrate on a decent amp to play in the house. Likely no stage in my future, but my brother in law already suggested that he would pull out his bass, call up his friend who plays the drums, and learn some of the songs I'm working on, or suggest others.

I'm stoked.
Cool man, any time. That plan sounds great :banana:

Oh, one thing you should DEFINITELY get is a tuner. The Boss TU-3 http://www.bossus.com/gear/productdetai ... uctId=1046 (top right in my pic above the orange DS-2) is a MUST HAVE. If nothing else, get it and go guitar > tuner > amp and use your amp's distortion and other on board effects (assuming you buy an amp with on board effects - if you do, look for one with a foot switch to change from clean to dirty (distortion) channels)..

Oh, and if you get three Boss pedals you can get this too: http://www.bossus.com/gear/productdetai ... ductId=748 - very useful...

OMG it certainly appears that I'm paid, or sponsored by Boss... If only........ Dave, Kurt and I all swear by them ;-)

Pandemonium

#3245 Post by Pandemonium » Sun Dec 28, 2014 5:43 pm

If you're just starting out and want a relatively easy path into a lot of effects at your disposal, I would just picking up either one of the Multi-Effects Processors from the likes of Boss, Line 6, Vox, etc. You can find something fairly versatile used on eBay or at the big music shops like Guitar Center for under a couple hundred bucks that not only has a ton of effects and pre-sets, but also numerous amp modeling settings. Plus, most have a headphone line out in addition to amp line out(s) so you can play without an amp or bugging anyone with the racket. I have a old Boss GT10 and it works fine for that purpose. I will say that for tone and maybe for simplicity of use, you would ultimately want to get the amp and individual stomp boxes suited to whatever sound you're chasing as my experience has been multi-effects processors lack a lot of warmth and sonic personality that a great true valve amp and some vintage stomp boxes will give you.

nausearockpig

#3246 Post by nausearockpig » Sun Dec 28, 2014 5:53 pm

Pandemonium wrote:If you're just starting out and want a relatively easy path into a lot of effects at your disposal, I would just picking up either one of the Multi-Effects Processors from the likes of Boss, Line 6, Vox, etc. You can find something fairly versatile used on eBay or at the big music shops like Guitar Center for under a couple hundred bucks that not only has a ton of effects and pre-sets, but also numerous amp modeling settings. Plus, most have a headphone line out in addition to amp line out(s) so you can play without an amp or bugging anyone with the racket. I have a old Boss GT10 and it works fine for that purpose. I will say that for tone and maybe for simplicity of use, you would ultimately want to get the amp and individual stomp boxes suited to whatever sound you're chasing as my experience has been multi-effects processors lack a lot of warmth and sonic personality that a great true valve amp and some vintage stomp boxes will give you.
I agree with this. My comments are based on years of playing and knowing what sounds I like and want. A multi-effects processor like the ones pandy mentioned are also a very good place to start, probably better than what I came up with... & they come with built in tuners...... :-)

guysmiley

#3247 Post by guysmiley » Mon Dec 29, 2014 6:47 am

As long as we're showing off our pedals.....Here's my current board. (The other half are in a drawer. I swap them in and out.)

I just finished up this synthesizer this week.
Tomorrow I'm going to box up 3 more pedals I built. Here are two I built last year.

Pandemonium

#3248 Post by Pandemonium » Mon Dec 29, 2014 10:05 am

guysmiley wrote:As long as we're showing off our pedals.....Here's my current board. (The other half are in a drawer. I swap them in and out.)
WTF is that orange stomp box near the top of the photo next to the blue box on the far left bottom corner of your rig? It not only has a weird looking metal/plexiglass rod coming out the top but the front looks like it's been melted.

guysmiley

#3249 Post by guysmiley » Mon Dec 29, 2014 10:47 am

It's a talk box.
I use it for one song at the 1:43 mark

nausearockpig

#3250 Post by nausearockpig » Mon Dec 29, 2014 2:20 pm

That's pretty rad. I'm thinking of rearranging mine shortly. I've removed the Octave pedal as it didn't sound the way I'd hoped and I'm thinking of moving the chorus, flanger and slow engine up out of the main line at the bottom as they're not used all the time.

We need a guitar thread.