World's Worst Tattoo is Fixed

off-topic conversation unrelated to Jane's Addiction
chaos

#1 Post by chaos » Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:01 pm

I am surprised that it only took three hours to fix.

http://shine.yahoo.com/healthy-living/w ... 35990.html

By Elise Solé, Shine Staff | Healthy Living – 10 hours ago

The man with the "world's worst portrait tattoo" finally got his happy ending on Thursday when he had the opportunity to fix the botched ink job of his late wife that had plagued him for so many years.

In 2007, on the one-year anniversary of his wife Mindy's death, Chad Stahl, 38, owner of Cutright Lawn and Landscaping, LLC, visited On the Edge Tattoo Studio in Bowling Green, Ohio to honor her with a portrait tattoo. The couple had been dating for 10 years, had 3 children, and were married for less than 3 months when Mindy died in a household fire.

Tattoo artist Dennis Foust inked the $450 portrait tattoo. "I had seen Faust's portrait work on his website and he even tattooed some of my in-laws with designs in honor of Mindy so I was confident going in," Stahl told Yahoo! Shine in his first media interview. "But when the swelling subsided, it didn't look like Mindy at all—her teeth looked evil." To add insult to injury, a friend had emailed him a link to a blog post titled "Worst Tattoo Ever" with a photo of Stahl's tattoo posted by a disgruntled On the Edge ex-employee. A few months later, Stahl returned to the studio and Faust tried to fix it, adding the words, "In loving memory of Mindy" but the damage was too great. "I was embarrassed to wear sleeveless shirts and didn't want anyone to see the tattoo but everyone in my town knew about it," says Stahl.

Foust told Shine: "This was my very first portrait tattoo done years ago. I've since moved forward, improved my skills, and my work has been featured in magazines."

Recently, a friend of Stahl's recommended that he visit Scott Versago at Empire Ink in Akron, Ohio, who had heard of the infamous tattoo and on Thursday Versago fixed it—for free. Vergaso wrote on his Facebook page: "I got to tackle the official '#1 worst portrait tattoo in the world' today. I'm sure you've all seen it a million times online, as had I. I couldn't believe my eyes when this guy walked in and showed me this project. I think my jaw literally hit the floor. He went on to tell me the story behind the portrait; He had just married his beautiful wife and not even three months afterwards she was killed in a horrible house fire accident leaving him to raise their three children alone. Shortly after he went to a local tattoo studio to memorialize his wife and was left with this abomination. He later returned to that studio for one more session, thinking that perhaps 'he had done something wrong in the healing of the tattoo' and they butchered it even more the second time. Finally, he drove all the way to my studio, Empire Ink, just to meet me and to see what his options were. Touched by his story, I gifted the entire project to him for free. Now he has closure and I have an amazing story to add to my portfolio!"

The fix-it job took just three hours. "I'm so happy and want everyone to see it," Stahl told Shine. "I'm going to enter the tattoo in a contest hosted by On the Edge to see if they recognize me."

SR

Re: World's Worst Tattoo is Fixed

#2 Post by SR » Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:31 am

I shouldn't care, but am pleased for the guy. Looks like the photo

krakle

#3 Post by krakle » Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:14 am

SR wrote:I shouldn't care, but am pleased for the guy.
yeah, it´s like a disney flick.

Jasper

#4 Post by Jasper » Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:00 am

Unfortunately the competent tattoo artist had to go very dark in order to hide the crimes of the previous guy (although I might argue that all tattoos are crimes :lol: ). It gives it a weird look, like she's got grease paint on, but that said it's a massive improvement with a way better result than anyone might have reasonably expected.

I'm glad - I always had trouble laughing at this tattoo because of it being a memorial tattoo for a young bride.

Matz

#5 Post by Matz » Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:39 am

what's the status on the tattoo artist that did that bad one? Working in Walmart now or something...

Artemis

#6 Post by Artemis » Sat Dec 06, 2014 9:20 pm

I'm putting this here because i don't want to start another tattoo thread. I think there are about 5 already. Anyway, on one of the Kate Bush fan sites I'm a member of, a guy posted a pic of his latest tattoo. It's supposed to be Kate Bush with the words " I just know that something good is going to happen" from the song Cloudbusting.
I think this is one of the worst tattoos I have ever seen(look at the guy's nipple in the hair). It looks more like Amy Winehouse than Kate Bush. :lol:
A lot of people thought it was a joke but it is real. The dude is an uber fan who lives in the Canary Islands.
I wonder what tattoo lurks below.. :scared:

Hype

#7 Post by Hype » Sat Dec 06, 2014 9:24 pm

I just re-read the first thing... how did no one notice the contradiction between:
"I had seen Faust's portrait work on his website and he even tattooed some of my in-laws with designs in honor of Mindy so I was confident going in," Stahl told Yahoo! Shine in his first media interview.
And:
Foust told Shine: "This was my very first portrait tattoo done years ago. I've since moved forward, improved my skills, and my work has been featured in magazines."
Which is it: is the guy who got the tattoo lying to cover up (ironically) his own stupidity? Or is the tattooer lying to protect his business? :drink: :neutral:

Warped

#8 Post by Warped » Sun Dec 07, 2014 6:23 am

Artemis wrote: I wonder what tattoo lurks below.. :scared:

:lol: I guess that will give you nightmares....so don't ask him :lolol:

kv

#9 Post by kv » Sun Dec 07, 2014 6:32 am

Adurentibus Spina wrote:I just re-read the first thing... how did no one notice the contradiction between:
"I had seen Faust's portrait work on his website and he even tattooed some of my in-laws with designs in honor of Mindy so I was confident going in," Stahl told Yahoo! Shine in his first media interview.
And:
Which is it: is the guy who got the tattoo lying to cover up (ironically) his own stupidity? Or is the tattooer lying to protect his business? :drink: :neutral:
both could be the truth. it doesn't say his family had portraits done...just designs "in honor"

Hype

#10 Post by Hype » Sun Dec 07, 2014 6:54 am

kv wrote:
Adurentibus Spina wrote:I just re-read the first thing... how did no one notice the contradiction between:
And:
both could be the truth. it doesn't say his family had portraits done...just designs "in honor"
You missed the first part of the first sentence. I think... Dude saw Faust's portrait work on his website... Foust (different spelling?) claims dude's tattoo was his first portrait. Something's wrong..