What's annoying you today?

off-topic conversation unrelated to Jane's Addiction
perkana

Re: What's annoying you today?

#2226 Post by perkana » Sat Dec 29, 2012 6:24 am

:lol: I blame it on using public transportation, it doesn't matter that I wash my hands constantly, take vitamins or meds to prevent getting sick. Now that I think about it, I get sick the worst when my nieces come here sick. For some reason their colds always knock me out, especially at the end of their visits and for the rest of my holidays. This stupid cough didn't let me fucking rest last night
Last edited by perkana on Sat Dec 29, 2012 6:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

creep
Site Admin

#2227 Post by creep » Sat Dec 29, 2012 6:26 am

perkana wrote:it doesn't matter that I wash my hands constantly, take vitamins or meds to prevent getting sick. Now that I think about it, I get sick the worst when my nieces come here sick. For some reason their colds always knock me out, especially at the end of their visits and for the rest of my holidays. This stupid cough didn't let me fucking rest last night
i'm sure public transportation is the worst for catching stuff.

perkana

#2228 Post by perkana » Sat Dec 29, 2012 6:32 am

yup, not many people believe in covering their nose or mouth or washing hands

Artemis

#2229 Post by Artemis » Sat Dec 29, 2012 7:03 am

this year seems really bad for colds and flus. one of the women at work has been constantly sick since October. first, she lost her voice then developed some kind of bronchial infection. then, she got a stomach flu that went around the office, and now a really bad cold.

thankfully, i haven't been really sick. a couple of times i had minor cold, but nothing serious. i don't take any vitamins or remedies, i just wash my hands VERY often. i use public transit and share printers and other office equipment, so i am careful about not touching my face and keeping my desk really clean. during the cold season i wipe down my phone and desk almost daily. it's a little OCD, but it seems to be working. :lol:

Larry B.

#2230 Post by Larry B. » Sat Dec 29, 2012 7:27 am

Annoying me a little: I'm pretty sure my dad has some sort of cancer. I haven't mentioned it to anyone yet, as I don't want to worry them. My dad hates going to the doctors and wouldn't go through a treatment anyway. His symptoms fit with a few forms or cancer and he's been pretty much an alcoholic throughout most of his life. I'm pretty sure his liver is saying "payback time, motherfucker."

Oh well.

Jasper

#2231 Post by Jasper » Sat Dec 29, 2012 8:00 pm

I just bought a suit and a fancy dress shirt and took it to a tailor for a rush fitting for a New Year's Eve wedding that I have to attend at an absurdly upscale historic hotel. To prevent myself from trying to drive a car or at least sleep in a car in below-freezing weather, I had to rent a room for a couple of nights.

Anyway, I don't have any shoes that go with this freaking suit, but after many hours of this shit I had a meltdown and said fuck it. They should have gotten hitched in Italy or something so I'd have a decent excuse not to attend.

It's like getting a gigantic bill for something you didn't order and don't want. :mad:

Best of luck to the happy couple. :wave: :heart:

creep
Site Admin

#2232 Post by creep » Sat Dec 29, 2012 8:06 pm

i went to a wedding last summer and wore a suit and had no idea until the day of the wedding that i didn't have shoes so i wore some old brown shoes that i had. people talked shit and made fun of my shoes all night.

go to payless shoe store if you have them and get some $25 shoes and then throw them away after.

$24.99

thoreau

#2233 Post by thoreau » Sat Dec 29, 2012 8:19 pm

creep wrote:i went to a wedding last summer and wore a suit and had no idea until the day of the wedding that i didn't have shoes so i wore some old brown shoes that i had. people talked shit and made fun of my shoes all night.

go to payless shoe store if you have them and get some $25 shoes and then throw them away after.

$24.99
I wish I had had a back-up pair of these for my wedding. My groomsmen thought it would be hilarious to hide one of my shoes, and then they forgot where they hid it until right before we had to walk.

Bunch of bastards. :lol:

Jasper

#2234 Post by Jasper » Sat Dec 29, 2012 9:40 pm

thoreau wrote:
creep wrote:i went to a wedding last summer and wore a suit and had no idea until the day of the wedding that i didn't have shoes so i wore some old brown shoes that i had. people talked shit and made fun of my shoes all night.

$24.99
I wish I had had a back-up pair of these for my wedding. My groomsmen thought it would be hilarious to hide one of my shoes, and then they forgot where they hid it until right before we had to walk.

Bunch of bastards. :lol:
:lol: Fuck weddings. Speaking of wedding footwear, I once gave a wedding toast on a boat, and it was all about how I'd never seen my friend wear matching socks until he got with his wife. So, basically I just talked shit about him for a little bit, and simultaneously highlighted the only upside I could see to the marriage (at the time). I made him pull up his pants legs to show everybody that his socks matched. :lol: Almost a year to the day that boat sank and multiple people died. :scared:

I've got an old pair of seriously clunky black leather shoes. Like shit-kicking Frankenstein style. I may just try to polish those.

perkana

#2235 Post by perkana » Sun Dec 30, 2012 2:18 am

I've worn the same shoes to parties for 4 years now...shiny black sandals with platforms. Heels tall enough to wear long dresses and comfortable enough to stand and walk around

Larry B.

#2236 Post by Larry B. » Sun Dec 30, 2012 2:46 pm

I gotta attend a wedding next week and I'm gonna have to spend like $412,768 in the fucking outfit. I swear to fucking god that I'll avoid getting fat just so that I can use the same fucking clothes every single day for the rest of my life.

Pandemonium

#2237 Post by Pandemonium » Sun Dec 30, 2012 11:42 pm

My wife got me the big Smashing Pumpkins Mellon Collie vinyl box set for Christmas and I finally had some time to listen to it this evening. Unfortunately, someone fucked up big time in the mastering or production of the records and it sounds terrible. I thought at first there was something wrong with my turntable listening to "Zero" it was so distorted until I checked some reviews on Amazon and discovered the set was fucked up in production. Bummer.

Matz

#2238 Post by Matz » Mon Dec 31, 2012 8:37 am

if that's really true, it's amazing it can happen on that level. get your money back

thoreau

#2239 Post by thoreau » Tue Jan 01, 2013 7:51 pm

Larry B. wrote:I gotta attend a wedding next week and I'm gonna have to spend like $412,768 in the fucking outfit. I swear to fucking god that I'll avoid getting fat just so that I can use the same fucking clothes every single day for the rest of my life.
Diamond-encrusted tux?

thoreau

#2240 Post by thoreau » Tue Jan 01, 2013 7:52 pm

Pandemonium wrote:My wife got me the big Smashing Pumpkins Mellon Collie vinyl box set for Christmas and I finally had some time to listen to it this evening. Unfortunately, someone fucked up big time in the mastering or production of the records and it sounds terrible. I thought at first there was something wrong with my turntable listening to "Zero" it was so distorted until I checked some reviews on Amazon and discovered the set was fucked up in production. Bummer.
Wow, I wasn't expecting to read that. I thought the remastering would have been great, considering how much I saw Billy hyping it.

Pandemonium

#2241 Post by Pandemonium » Tue Jan 01, 2013 8:04 pm

thoreau wrote:
Pandemonium wrote:My wife got me the big Smashing Pumpkins Mellon Collie vinyl box set for Christmas and I finally had some time to listen to it this evening. Unfortunately, someone fucked up big time in the mastering or production of the records and it sounds terrible. I thought at first there was something wrong with my turntable listening to "Zero" it was so distorted until I checked some reviews on Amazon and discovered the set was fucked up in production. Bummer.
Wow, I wasn't expecting to read that. I thought the remastering would have been great, considering how much I saw Billy hyping it.
From what I understand, the cd set sounds excellent and is a big improvement over the original cd release. It's clearly some kind of fuck up in the mastering or pressing limited to the vinyl record set. The fact that the art, graphic design and packaging for the box is really beautifully done made it even more bittersweet that I had my wife return it to Amazon.com. My wife really didn't have good luck buying for me this year - on top of the defective Pumpkins set, she bought me an iPod Classic for some reason despite the fact I have an old 80GB *and* a less than one year old 160GB Classic already. I asked her straight up why she thought I needed another iPod and she really couldn't give me a good answer which was odd.

chaos

#2242 Post by chaos » Tue Jan 01, 2013 9:32 pm

I've been really sick for the last week (congestion, body aches, fatigue - no fever though). I had a physical in the beginning of Dec (before I was sick) and my blood work indicated that my Vitamin D is way too low. I was shocked since I do get outside, my calcium level is fine, and I eat quite a bit of diary. So I don't know it the low D is a contributing factor but I can't remember the last time I was this sick. I have to take mega prescription doses of D for the next 8 weeks. :oldtimer:

Matz

#2243 Post by Matz » Wed Jan 02, 2013 7:59 am

Pandemonium wrote:
thoreau wrote:
From what I understand, the cd set sounds excellent and is a big improvement over the original cd release. It's clearly some kind of fuck up in the mastering or pressing limited to the vinyl record set. The fact that the art, graphic design and packaging for the box is really beautifully done made it even more bittersweet that I had my wife return it to Amazon.com. My wife really didn't have good luck buying for me this year - on top of the defective Pumpkins set, she bought me an iPod Classic for some reason despite the fact I have an old 80GB *and* a less than one year old 160GB Classic already. I asked her straight up why she thought I needed another iPod and she really couldn't give me a good answer which was odd.
it's probably because of your 8000 dollar speakers or whatever they were, get some shittier ones like the rest of us have and it'll sound fine. On a serious note I really doubt it's the mastering guy's fault, people at that level don't fuck up

krakle

#2244 Post by krakle » Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:55 am

Matz wrote:people at that level don't fuck up
get rid of this assumption asap.

Matz

#2245 Post by Matz » Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:48 am

maybe you're right but it must be very, very rare if it does happen. They don't hand a classic album like that to any mastering expert either. This guy, and it would be interesting to know who it is, must have a pretty impressive background to get the job, so for him to destroy the album to me sounds pretty outthere.

It would be like if Chris lord Alge or Dave Pensado (they're world class mixers) suddenly completely fucked something up. They don't, ever. Their worst mixes are pretty spectacular

I would love to hear the original version and the remastered to see if I agree that it's so bad

Pandemonium

#2246 Post by Pandemonium » Wed Jan 02, 2013 4:07 pm

Matz wrote:maybe you're right but it must be very, very rare if it does happen. They don't hand a classic album like that to any mastering expert either. This guy, and it would be interesting to know who it is, must have a pretty impressive background to get the job, so for him to destroy the album to me sounds pretty outthere.

It would be like if Chris lord Alge or Dave Pensado (they're world class mixers) suddenly completely fucked something up. They don't, ever. Their worst mixes are pretty spectacular

I would love to hear the original version and the remastered to see if I agree that it's so bad
Screw-ups in the mastering or remastering stage are pretty rare, unless it's following audio "trends" like bandwidth limiting and brick walling the sound of a recording (especially an older album). When there was a number of 5.1 surround sound audio mixes being done for SACD, DVD-Audio and DTS audio classic album releases around 2001 when record companies where trying to push new hi-rez audio formats, a lot of really lousy mixes omitting various instruments, etc got out. If I recall, several of The Police's albums sounded really shitty with fake echo and other effects thrown in to make them sound more full and "The Game" from Queen which I still have is badly screwed up in such a way.

But basic screw-ups do happen from time to time. Probably the best example I can think of off the top of my head would be "Raw Power" by Iggy and The Stooges. The original album was poorly mixed to begin with and the original cd release reflected that - plus it was at so low a volume, you really had to turn it up to hear it and the tape hiss made it almost unlistenable. Then Iggy participated in a "remixed and remastered" version about a decade ago that absolutely brick walled everything making it one of the most overdriven, clipped "classic" albums ever released on cd. Finally a few years ago, the album was remastered and released *again* as a Deluxe Edition using the original mix and it sounds about as close to the vinyl as it probably ever will on a digital format.

creep
Site Admin

#2247 Post by creep » Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:25 pm

i just heard huell howser died. i'm sure only california people know him. :wavesad:

wally

#2248 Post by wally » Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:44 pm

California's gold shines a little less bright today. :wavesad:

sinep

#2249 Post by sinep » Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:03 am

creep wrote:i just heard huell howser died. i'm sure only california people know him. :wavesad:

i cried.

honestly.

creep
Site Admin

#2250 Post by creep » Wed Jan 09, 2013 4:16 pm

i'm in the middle of buying a house and the mortgage guy i am working with signs his emails "god bless". that shouldn't bother me but it just seems unprofessional to me to do that. :noclue: