Butt chugging

off-topic conversation unrelated to Jane's Addiction
Artemis

Butt chugging

#1 Post by Artemis » Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:13 pm

What will frat boys think of next? :jasper:

Has anybody here tried it? If you don't want to admit you can say you know someone who has tried. :lol:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/09/2 ... lp00000009
Butt Chugging Leads To Severe Alcohol Poisoning Of University Of Tennessee Student

A dangerous drinking practice known as "butt chugging" sent a University of Tennessee student to the hospital with severe alcohol poisoning this weekend.

Early Saturday, 20-year-old Alexander P. Broughton of Pi Kappa Alpha was brought to the emergency room and showed a blood-alcohol level thought to be “well over” .4, according to the Knoxville News Sentinel. They believe he ingested the alcohol by butt chugging. Broughton appeared to be “extremely intoxicated and showed signs of physical and possible sexual assault,” a report obtained by the Knoxville News Sentinel states.

Butt chugging was formally known as an alcohol enema. An individual basically "drinks" the fluid into his or her rectum with a tube or hose. The alcohol's effects come quickly and potently.

In the house, officers found several young males passed out in their bedrooms with “bags from wine boxes, some empty and some partially empty, strewn across the halls and rooms."

Columbia Health's Go Ask Alice! forum addressed the issue of butt chugging back in 2006.

"Because the primary job of the intestines is to absorb nutrients into the body, if you put alcohol directly into your colon, it will be absorbed much more rapidly than it would be if it entered your body orally," Columbia Health's "Alice" said to an inquiring student. "It can make you very drunk, very quickly. Because everyone's body is different, it's hard to judge how much or how quickly an alcohol enema would affect any one person."

Alcohol enemas can be very dangerous or even deadly because an individual can "use too much alcohol or keep it inside for too long." Once alcohol enters the bloodstream, it cannot get back out. In 2004, a Texas woman was accused of giving her husband a sherry enema that caused his death, Reuters previously reported.

Butt chugging is not the only dangerous way students experiment with alcohol.

Last November, KPHO News reported that teens were using vodka tampons to get drunk. The tampon is soaked in vodka, inserted into the body, and the alcohol is absorbed without the barrier of the stomach. This is not a trend solely practiced by females, as males insert it into their rectums.

"Quicker high -- they think it's going to last longer; it's more intense," Dr. Dan Quan from Maricopa Medical Center told KPHO News. Adding that "if the person does pass out or lose consciousness, health care professionals won't necessarily know that they have to look in those areas, and that may delay treatment."

After the butt-chugging incident, Broughton was released from treatment on Sunday afternoon, according to The Memphis Commercial Appeal. The fraternity was put on a 30-day administrative suspension by Pi Kappa Alpha International, pending a decision on whether the action will be permanent.

Mark Broughton, the victim's father, told The Commercial Appeal that the incident "is not as has been reported, and we want to get our side out. ... From our standpoint, what has been reported is not what occurred."

The university released the following statement to WBIR:

"University officials are currently conducting an investigation into allegations involving the Pi Kappa Alpha fraternity chapter and incidents that occurred over the weekend. Due to the gravity of the allegations, interim sanctions have already been imposed upon the chapter and will remain in effect until the investigation is concluded and final reports are available."

farrellgirl99

Re: Butt chugging

#2 Post by farrellgirl99 » Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:31 pm

frat boys :eyes:

sinep

#3 Post by sinep » Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:45 pm

i discovered butt chugging last may.

i haven't drank anything orally since.

SR

#4 Post by SR » Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:39 pm

Bottoms up.

Pandemonium

#5 Post by Pandemonium » Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:41 pm

Artemis wrote:"Early Saturday, 20-year-old Alexander P. Broughton of Pi Kappa Alpha was brought to the emergency room and showed a blood-alcohol level thought to be “well over” .4, according to the Knoxville News Sentinel."
Holy shit, how does someone survive .4?

Mescal

#6 Post by Mescal » Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:27 pm

I wouldn't pour alcohol into my ass.

Seriously, I wouldn't

Jasper

#7 Post by Jasper » Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:45 pm

I actually remember the story mentioned from 2004 regarding the woman who gave her husband the fatal sherry enema.

I always wonder what's wrong with people that they can't get drunk fast enough on delicious beverages. I mean, good beer, good scotch, and good wine are so delicious, I kind of wish that they weren't as potent. My problem is that I drink too quickly if I'm distracted (like at a bar). It doesn't happen at home or in a restaurant or anything, but if there's a band playing and girls around and I'm talking and everything, I can drink a lot before I notice the effect. One time I quit drinking temporarily (meds) and I found some fairly decent alcohol-free beer. I loved that I could drink it without any concern for alcohol content, especially in hot weather. When I was able to consume alcohol again, I had a lot of leftovers, (I special-ordered them through the store I managed) and it was great because after I felt I'd had enough alcohol, but wanted to keep drinking something, I just drank those.

I'm experiencing something weird now, because the dose of a med I've been taking for several years was just halved. It was something that made my system not clear alcohol efficiently, so it led to some horrible hangovers and weird, unexpected levels of drunkenness (I was once on four times the amount I am taking now). Now I'm processing alcohol so much more efficiently, that I drink quite a bit and I don't feel drunk. Normally I'd slow down because I'd feel the buzz, but now I can drink a bottle and it feels like I've had maybe a glass and a half. The thing to remember is that drinking more than a couple of glasses isn't healthful even if you're not getting drunk. In any case, I expect that this effect will be temporary.

JOEinPHX

#8 Post by JOEinPHX » Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:37 pm

This is just slightly smarter, or dumber, than vodka eyeballing.

Desri

#9 Post by Desri » Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:45 am

I remember that sherry enema story. I think that guy was a Darwin Award winner a few years back. From memory he was a severe alcoholic who for some reason related to that could no longer imbibe alcohol orally and his wife often did the butt sherry thing, it just happened that on this occasion the experience killed him.

Essence_Smith

#10 Post by Essence_Smith » Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:39 am

Say what you want, but black people will never do this... :lol:

Hype

#11 Post by Hype » Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:45 am

Essence_Smith wrote:Say what you want, but black people will never do this... :lol:
Dave Chappelle is right. White people do some weird shit when they're high/drunk. :nod:

Honestly though, I think the States need to start thinking about a progressive lowering of the drinking age, combined with alcohol education programs. That'll never happen (same reason they stick with "abstinence only" sex-ed in spite of the fact that it creates higher pregnancy/STD rates...) though. :conf:

Essence_Smith

#12 Post by Essence_Smith » Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:18 am

Adurentibus Spina wrote:
Essence_Smith wrote:Say what you want, but black people will never do this... :lol:
Dave Chappelle is right. White people do some weird shit when they're high/drunk. :nod:

Honestly though, I think the States need to start thinking about a progressive lowering of the drinking age, combined with alcohol education programs. That'll never happen (same reason they stick with "abstinence only" sex-ed in spite of the fact that it creates higher pregnancy/STD rates...) though. :conf:
:hs:
I dunno if things have changed in NY, but I remember our sex-ed class including a bit where the teacher demonstrated (on a banana) how to put a condom on...even in Catholic school we never got anything close to "abstinence only"...it was of course heavily suggested... :hehe:

On the drinking age thing I think regionally things vary enough where it could be lowered or raised in some places...as far as white people vs black people being high or drunk, I can definitely say from experience the two get down a LOT differently...there's a term in the hood..."whiteboy wasted" for getting that much more fucked up... :lolol:

Hype

#13 Post by Hype » Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:26 am

:lol: Well yeah, I'm sure New York is progressive as hell compared to say... Kansas. :confused:

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2012/04/11/s ... egnancies/

LJF

#14 Post by LJF » Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:41 am

Adurentibus Spina wrote:

It's so stupid you can vote and go to war at 18, but no drinking until 21. Makes no sense. Not like most people wait until 21.

There was one class or lecture I guess maybe is a better term for it that will always stick out from my college days. Early in my freshman year all athletes were requirement to go to hear this guy lecture on drinking. Before I went I thought how stupid is this going to be, but it turned out to be one of best alcohol education programs. This guy was a former alcoholic and he went around teaching professional athletes how to drink. He did a lot of work with the NHL. His whole thing was very simple moderation. There was more to it but I won't bore you with that. He closes the talk by saying something like this,"I wish someone spoke to me about this when I was young, because I'd love to be able to have just one beer."

Not sure why this type of stuff isn't taught more often. If you ignore it and don't teach kids about it they will drink anyways, better they have an understanding.
Last edited by LJF on Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Essence_Smith

#15 Post by Essence_Smith » Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:46 am

West indian folks (at least when I was growing up), would typically give their kids alcohol at some time on another and it kinda took the allure out of doing something "forbidden"...usually like a capful of rum or a sip of beer...I started drinking around 15...watching my Grandfather drink a whole bottle of rum, jump into his car and crash into a tree losing his two front teeth was my first lesson in moderation... :lol:

Hype

#16 Post by Hype » Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:50 am

Essence_Smith wrote:West indian folks (at least when I was growing up), would typically give their kids alcohol at some time on another and it kinda took the allure out of doing something "forbidden"...usually like a capful of rum or a sip of beer...I started drinking around 15...watching my Grandfather drink a whole bottle of rum, jump into his car and crash into a tree losing his two front teeth was my first lesson in moderation... :lol:
Yeah we always got a tiny bit of wine at Thanksgiving or Christmas from about the age of 10 or so. My parents aren't really drinkers though, so there was rarely anything in the house. I recall a sip of beer a few times though.

It also helps if your hometown isn't completely useless for teenagers... as that helps fuel drinking and drug use out of sheer boredom/lack of alternatives. :drink:

chaos

#17 Post by chaos » Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:28 am

SR wrote:Bottoms up.
:lol:

Romeo

#18 Post by Romeo » Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:29 am

SR wrote:Bottoms up.
and the winner is....

:lolol:

lollapaloser

#19 Post by lollapaloser » Wed Sep 26, 2012 1:32 pm

Jasper wrote:I actually remember the story mentioned from 2004 regarding the woman who gave her husband the fatal sherry enema.

I always wonder what's wrong with people that they can't get drunk fast enough on delicious beverages. I mean, good beer, good scotch, and good wine are so delicious, I kind of wish that they weren't as potent. My problem is that I drink too quickly if I'm distracted (like at a bar). It doesn't happen at home or in a restaurant or anything, but if there's a band playing and girls around and I'm talking and everything, I can drink a lot before I notice the effect. One time I quit drinking temporarily (meds) and I found some fairly decent alcohol-free beer. I loved that I could drink it without any concern for alcohol content, especially in hot weather. When I was able to consume alcohol again, I had a lot of leftovers, (I special-ordered them through the store I managed) and it was great because after I felt I'd had enough alcohol, but wanted to keep drinking something, I just drank those.

I'm experiencing something weird now, because the dose of a med I've been taking for several years was just halved. It was something that made my system not clear alcohol efficiently, so it led to some horrible hangovers and weird, unexpected levels of drunkenness (I was once on four times the amount I am taking now). Now I'm processing alcohol so much more efficiently, that I drink quite a bit and I don't feel drunk. Normally I'd slow down because I'd feel the buzz, but now I can drink a bottle and it feels like I've had maybe a glass and a half. The thing to remember is that drinking more than a couple of glasses isn't healthful even if you're not getting drunk. In any case, I expect that this effect will be temporary.
Im taking something that when I started it, I couldnt drink, so I was drinking non alcoholic beer for a while, and I liked it too, I loved having the taste of a beer even without the buzz. I'm more used to the medicine now, so I can drink a bit.

ellis

#20 Post by ellis » Wed Sep 26, 2012 1:56 pm

SR

#21 Post by SR » Wed Sep 26, 2012 2:22 pm

New use at and for the bar.

Essence_Smith

#22 Post by Essence_Smith » Wed Sep 26, 2012 2:37 pm

Wait, what? A bar that specializes in butt chugging??? Wow...I think they could call it Ain't No Right... :hehe:

JOEinPHX

#23 Post by JOEinPHX » Wed Sep 26, 2012 6:29 pm

LJF wrote:
Adurentibus Spina wrote:

It's so stupid you can vote and go to war at 18, but no drinking until 21. Makes no sense. Not like most people wait until 21.

There was one class or lecture I guess maybe is a better term for it that will always stick out from my college days. Early in my freshman year all athletes were requirement to go to hear this guy lecture on drinking. Before I went I thought how stupid is this going to be, but it turned out to be one of best alcohol education programs. This guy was a former alcoholic and he went around teaching professional athletes how to drink. He did a lot of work with the NHL. His whole thing was very simple moderation. There was more to it but I won't bore you with that. He closes the talk by saying something like this,"I wish someone spoke to me about this when I was young, because I'd love to be able to have just one beer."

Not sure why this type of stuff isn't taught more often. If you ignore it and don't teach kids about it they will drink anyways, better they have an understanding.
18 year old soldiers spend 6 months going through training, having their spirits broken and being taught to only do what their superiors tell them

After 6 months of training, yeah...i fully trust them to handle a gun around a bunch of other robots trained to do 2 things:

1. kill
2. be killed

But do you think the government is really going to spend 6 months training people to drink responsibly?

No.

That's why you have to wait and mature for another 3 years before you can drink in public.

It makes perfect sense.

Hype

#24 Post by Hype » Wed Sep 26, 2012 6:35 pm

Six7Six7 wrote:
LJF wrote:
Adurentibus Spina wrote:

18 year old soldiers spend 6 months going through training, having their spirits broken and being taught to only do what their superiors tell them

After 6 months of training, yeah...i fully trust them to handle a gun around a bunch of other robots trained to do 2 things:

1. kill
2. be killed

But do you think the government is really going to spend 6 months training people to drink responsibly?

No.

That's why you have to wait and mature for another 3 years before you can drink in public.

It makes perfect sense.
No it doesn't. Those two things are completely unrelated.

JOEinPHX

#25 Post by JOEinPHX » Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:20 pm

I agree. They are 100% unrelated.

Which is why the age to go to war is 18, and the age to drink is 21.

Because they are incomparable.