First Show Ever Thread

off-topic conversation unrelated to Jane's Addiction
Hokahey
Site Admin

Re: First Show Ever Thread

#26 Post by Hokahey » Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:20 pm

Pandemonium wrote:Van Halen, the end of January '77 on a cold, foggy weeknight at the Golden Bear Club on PCH in Huntington Beach. A friend of mine knew the guy who used to occasionally worked the soundboard at the club and he bugged my for months to come with him to see bands at this club (he later talked me into seeing Quiet Riot w/Randy Rhoads around '79 in Hollywood). I was still 17 and a senior in High School with a fake ID recently bought at the local swap meet and had never been in a bar before so the whole night was a big life altering experience for me.

Soundboard guy got us in without even paying a cover. I was such a greenhorn regarding alcohol and especially beer, I ordered a Dos Equis by asking for a "Double X Beer please..." It's a miracle I didn't get thrown out that night, I was so obviously underage.

He let us check out the soundbooth before the place filled up. The soundbooth was this tiny wooden box built into the back wall and ceiling of the club that you had to climb a short ladder to get into like a kid's treehouse. It was big enough to fit the mixing board and a couple short stools but was still so small you couldn't stand up in it and had a small rectangular slot cut out the front to see and hear the stage. It was like being in a space capsule and I've never to this day seen any other club with a similar setup.

I had no idea who Van Halen was and by the time they came on, the club probably had about 75 people max that night. This was well over a year before they were signed to Warner Bros and released their first album and they were still playing about 50/50 covers vs originals. One cover they played that I really liked was "Walk Away" by the James Gang - problem was, I didn't know it wasn't a VH song and it took a few years before I clued in it wasn't their tune. Dave was into wearing disco bell bottoms at the time, Eddie had his rig built into a beat up big ol' upright WWII Bomb Shell they must have picked up at a junk yard sale. The biggest impression I left that show with was how incredibly loud they were in that place.

Still, it was almost over a year later before I saw another live band. To this day I regret passing on that friend's offer to see Led Zeppelin at the LA Forum late Summer '77 (their last shows they'd wind up playing in SoCal). I couldn't come up with the fuckin' $20 for his spare floor ticket. Thus my next show was a big outdoor gig at Anaheim Stadium headlined by The Electric Light Orchestra in April '78.

You always know Pandemoniums post in a topic like this will be the longest, most detailed, and histroically interesting.

:lol:

Whoever said you should write a book about these experiences was spot on.

Jasper

#27 Post by Jasper » Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:52 pm

hokahey wrote:
You always know Pandemoniums post in a topic like this will be the longest, most detailed, and histroically interesting.

:lol:

Whoever said you should write a book about these experiences was spot on.
:wave:

I think the name I came up with was Grampa's Interminable Tales of Rock. :lol:

JOEinPHX

#28 Post by JOEinPHX » Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:57 pm

1996, 15 years old, Hootie and the Blowfish

My sister had an extra ticket and asked me if i wanted to go. I loved those guys, so of course i went.

crater

#29 Post by crater » Fri Jan 20, 2012 3:14 pm

Not sure exactly, but the first show I remember was at around the age of 10 when I went with my parents to see Kenny Rogers & Dolly Parton or it could have been the Oak Ridge Boys :lolol:

I also went with them at around the same age to an R&B and Jazz show that had Ray Charles and Chuck Berry. There were other acts there, but those are the two that stick out in my rapidly fading memory.
Jasper wrote:Mötley Crüe, Theatre of Pain tour, 1985. Worcester Centrum, I believe.
The first show I went to with friends was Motley Crue during their Theatre of Pain tour too :rockon:

crater

#30 Post by crater » Fri Jan 20, 2012 3:18 pm

bman wrote:My Second club show ever....October 1991, The Roseland Ballroom, NYV. Pearl Jam, Smashing Pumpkins, and The Red Hot Chilis.....WHAT A SHOW! Never heard of Pearl Jam or Pumpkins till this show.
Hey, I saw that tour too, only it was on New Years Eve and it was Nirvana and not Smashing Pumpkins.

S&M

#31 Post by S&M » Fri Jan 20, 2012 4:21 pm

Led Zeppelin day on the green...totally freaked of the freaks and very little....judas priest opened :hehe:

SR

#32 Post by SR » Fri Jan 20, 2012 4:27 pm

I really should clarify that my first concert ever was at the age of 7. It was Arthur Rubenstein playing with the LA Phil. My parents had season tix for 25 years, so I went regularly. Those were the Zubin Mehta years before he left for the helm at the NY Phil.

The next after AR was Fiedler with the Boston Pops. He was so drunk, he couldn't stay on his podium. :drink: :lolol:

Everybody's Friend

#33 Post by Everybody's Friend » Fri Jan 20, 2012 4:53 pm

Pink Floyd, Division Bell Tour, Detroit, 1994..

:love:

esqfool

#34 Post by esqfool » Fri Jan 20, 2012 5:29 pm

First show ever was Scorpions at Riverport Ampitheatre in like 1992? Can't remember at all who opened. Got free tix from a baseball card shop.

First show on my own, shit if I can recall which is kind of sad.

And yes, Pandemonium, even if I don't like the bands you mention in show reviews and shit, you always have something cool in the story so I read it anyway.

Artemis

#35 Post by Artemis » Fri Jan 20, 2012 6:24 pm

Warped wrote:
Artemis wrote:My first concert was with a friend and her mom in 1978 to see Shaun Cassidy.
:lol: Wow, what a hottie he was. :eyes: He was in all the girlie magazines at that time. And he was in "Disco" a famous music show here.
I had posters all over my walls, and collected the teen magazines he was in like Tiger Beat and Sixteen. I don't know if you git it in Germany, but he was in the American television show The Hardy Boys with Parker Stevenson.

Matz

#36 Post by Matz » Fri Jan 20, 2012 7:30 pm

Everybody's Friend wrote:Pink Floyd, Division Bell Tour, Detroit, 1994..

fuck, I'm so jealous, that tour was unbelieveable

cabangbangq

#37 Post by cabangbangq » Fri Jan 20, 2012 8:28 pm

Oh boy..

Perry Farrell's Satellite Party, October 1st, 2007, at the Great American Music Hall.

I was 13 and convinced i would never see Jane's again and I knew that Perry had been doing Jane's songs on this tour, so I talked my parents into going and we went. The show was actually a blast, I was right up front, and it was such a small venue that Perry brought it that night.

Pandemonium

#38 Post by Pandemonium » Fri Jan 20, 2012 8:54 pm

Jasper wrote:I think the name I came up with was Grampa's Interminable Tales of Rock. :lol:
Heh, gimme a few more years...

Jasper

#39 Post by Jasper » Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:39 pm

Matz wrote:
Artemis wrote:My first concert was with a friend and her mom in 1978 to see Shaun Cassidy. Image
fuck, I'm so jealous, that tour was unbelieveable :love:
:no:

Artemis

#40 Post by Artemis » Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:22 pm

Jasper wrote:
Matz wrote:
Artemis wrote:My first concert was with a friend and her mom in 1978 to see Shaun Cassidy. Image
fuck, I'm so jealous, that tour was unbelieveable :love:
:no:
:lol: :lol:

Hype

#41 Post by Hype » Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:24 pm

He looks like he wouldn't age well.

:noclue:

Artemis

#42 Post by Artemis » Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:29 pm

Adurentibus Spina wrote:He looks like he wouldn't age well.

:noclue:
omg! i don't even recognize him.

i don't what i was thinking when i was 10. now when i see those young pics of him i don't find him attractive at all.

kv

#43 Post by kv » Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:38 pm

no clue

imail724

#44 Post by imail724 » Sat Jan 21, 2012 12:48 pm

Tenacious D at MSG 2006 :lol:

jptm

#45 Post by jptm » Sat Jan 21, 2012 1:35 pm

My first concert experience was Sam Kinison at the Universal Ampitheater in LA back in the 80's... he did his standup and then came out after with a band full of players in metal bands: CC Deville , Tommy Lee, Dweezil Zappa... Billy Idol came out ALL fucked up... it was a great show...

My first concert experience to see an actual band was Pink Floyd during the Momentary Lapse of Reason tour at the LA Sports Arena... Mind-blowing. (the next show I saw after that was when they came around again and did the Colloseum...)

Romeo

#46 Post by Romeo » Sat Jan 21, 2012 2:59 pm

I said in the other thread: 1977 Nassau Coliseum The Grateful Dead

Pandemonium

#47 Post by Pandemonium » Sat Jan 21, 2012 6:42 pm

jptm wrote:My first concert experience was Sam Kinison at the Universal Ampitheater in LA back in the 80's... he did his standup and then came out after with a band full of players in metal bands: CC Deville , Tommy Lee, Dweezil Zappa... Billy Idol came out ALL fucked up... it was a great show...
I saw Kinison a couple times at his highest and probably his lowest points and ran into him (or rather my girlfriend did) at The Rainbow in late 1991 about 6 months before he died.

First time I saw him, it was right at his comedic peak just before he recorded the "Wild Thing" single and was still plugging his first album. He played this very small theater in Anaheim who's name I now forget, but it had a slowly rotating stage set "in-the-round." So he's doing his act and the stage is like a carousel and after a while, you could tell it was fucking him up so he had them turn it off so he was facing one part of the audience the rest of his set. For his encore, Slash came out (this was only months after Guns n' Roses released Appetite for Destruction and just hitting it big) and they did a couple covers, one being AC/DC's Highway to Hell.

Next time I saw him he was well on his way to crashing and burning. It was Memorial Day weekend '89 and I took my then-girlfriend to see him in Vegas. I believe this was the show he filmed for home video that was the benefit for Lenny Bruce's mother - anyway, he was pretty fucked up, long periods of fumbling to keep the set moving, etc. Billy Idol and his pals were a couple tables away from us and seemed to be heckling Kinison which was kind of weird. Overall it was pretty embarrassing to watch.

When I next saw him at The Rainbow bar, I had taken my next/new girlfriend to Hollywood to check out all the rock clubs on Sunset Blvd on a Saturday night. We bar and club hopped and at one point wound up at the Rainbow. Place was super packed and at one point while we were trying to squeeze through the crowd to get to the bar, my girlfriend stepped on Kinison's foot with her high heels as he was trying to get by. The guy seemed barely 5 feet tall to me and was loaded out of his mind. We lasted about half an hour and at one point, my girlfriend went back to the bar to get us one final pair of drinks and "BAM!," walking away with them, she plows right into Kinison *again* spilling both drinks on him. Some metelhead douche started yelling at her (Sam didn't seem to comprehend he was soaked) and I hauled her out of there and we moved on to another bar.

Lokus

#48 Post by Lokus » Sat Jan 21, 2012 7:54 pm

My first concert without my parents was Too Many Cooks in 93 or 94 (I was 12 or 13). I had seen them on some TV show, bought their cassette and then went to see them at this mid-sized arena near where I lived. I remember the singer doing this long monologue during a jam where he was essentially pretending/describing making love to a woman. It was pretty explicit and blew my mind at that age. Made me understand the sexuality of rock for the first time.

These guys were never really popular outside Quebec and maybe some of Canada. I haven't listened to them in years, but looking back they were pretty good.

The first concert I remember that really left a huge impression on me was the Tea Party in 1995 (I still think of that as one of the best concerts I've ever been to). It was when the Tea Party were doing these really elaborate shows playing something like 20 different middle eastern instruments. The light show was really impressive with all these weird symbols being projected on the back curtain and ceiling.

Tea Party is still one of my favourite bands. Although I've met their singer/guitar player Jeff Martin on 2 occasions and he's a total asshole (which our mutual acquaintance agrees with). :lol:

jptm

#49 Post by jptm » Sat Jan 21, 2012 9:28 pm

Pandemonium... yeah; the show in Anaheim I remember, too---I lived there at the time, & was bummed I couldn't make the show...

the show I went to, @the Universal Ampitheater... I googled it earlier and found this article on Sam, w/his brother Bill mentioning that show I talked about:
Bill Kinison, manager: We were doing a Universal Amphitheatre show, and we had an all-star band there. It was two nights, and at the end they were supposed to do “Jailhouse Rock.” At the soundcheck, Vince Neil and Tommy Lee from Mötley Crüe were there. They had closed with that for years. I asked Vince, “What’s the words to ‘Jailhouse Rock’?” He said, “I don’t know.” “What do you mean, you don’t know? It’s been your encore for five years! How the hell do you sing it?” He told me, “I just mumble.” Billy Idol speaks up and says, “I know the words.” I said, “Then okay, tonight you do the words to it.” Billy didn’t know the words either, and it was a disaster.

The second night we couldn’t do “Jailhouse Rock” and Leslie West from Mountain suggested we do “Wild Thing.” [Playboy model] Jessica Hahn, who we had just met, was there, so she was going to come out also. Sam was just supposed to play the guitar. The problem was, no one knew the verses either. So when the verses come up, Leslie just turns around and hands the mic to Sam, and so he has to make up some stuff. That’s pretty much how he did everything anyway.
http://www.lasvegasweekly.com/news/arch ... wild-ride/

also, re:that show... I remember standing in the beer line before the show, and I notice that in front of me is one of the guys from Ratt---I go "hey, your the bass player in Ratt, right?". and he looks at me kinda pissed-off like and goes, "naw, dude---I'm the drummer." It was Bobbly Blotzer... he ended up talking to me for a few moments, telling me that Sam was gonna blow my mind...

I got to see him again a couple years later when he was huge in LA... another Universal Amp. show... I took my girlfriend at the time; a real prissy bitch... thinking that having her see Sam would 'straighten her up' a little (she was crazy; period--but I digress)... I really wanted her to see him up close, so we snuck up to the very front---I sat next to Ron Jeremy and his harem... Sam put on a great show, but you could tell he was coked out of his mind.

He was the best guest on Stern; period. His fight with him, the make-up, it was all gold.

I really miss Sam. He was a truly one-of-a-kind comedian; unstoppable at his peak.

intertwoven

#50 Post by intertwoven » Sat Jan 21, 2012 10:30 pm

Think I got taken to a Four Tops concert at the San Diego Wild Animal Park as a little kid in the 80s.
First real show was Violent Femmes in a theater in 95.
Then RHCP (w/Dave), w/ Toadies opening at the Sports Arena in 96.