Discussion regarding Jane's Addiction news and associated projects
Hokahey
Site Admin

Re: Jane's 7-27-91 lollapalooza DVD

#51 Post by Hokahey » Wed Mar 21, 2012 4:03 pm

Jasper wrote:
creep wrote:
Jasper wrote:
If you get a notion to put up another vid, can you make it Of Course? I've only seen footage of Of Course once, that I can remember. (I think you may have put up that one as well :hs:
the footage of that song isn't great. perry is hanging from some sort of structure on the side of the stage the whole time. i'll still put it on youtube i guess.
Sweet, thanks. It'll be nice to hear it as well.

*edit*

P.S. Dave posted creep's upload of Trip Away on fb.
I saw that. Wonder if he saw this thread.

:wave:

creep
Site Admin

#52 Post by creep » Wed Mar 21, 2012 4:20 pm

Jasper wrote:
creep wrote:
Jasper wrote:
If you get a notion to put up another vid, can you make it Of Course? I've only seen footage of Of Course once, that I can remember. (I think you may have put up that one as well :hs:
the footage of that song isn't great. perry is hanging from some sort of structure on the side of the stage the whole time. i'll still put it on youtube i guess.

Jasper

#53 Post by Jasper » Wed Mar 21, 2012 4:37 pm

creep wrote:
Jasper wrote:
creep wrote:
Jasper wrote:
:yeay:

I loved those palm trees in the back. That was such a perfect stage set.

crater

#54 Post by crater » Wed Mar 21, 2012 5:30 pm

I tried d/l this again and gave up again. Thing is taking FOREVER for me and I don't have that type of patience.

So unless I can get someone to set up a B&P, fuck it :lolol:

creep
Site Admin

#55 Post by creep » Wed Mar 21, 2012 5:43 pm

crater wrote:I tried d/l this again and gave up again. Thing is taking FOREVER for me and I don't have that type of patience.

So unless I can get someone to set up a B&P, fuck it :lolol:
my internet service provider apparently blocks some ports and it really slows things up. most people just start torrents and leave it. if you are on a laptop that might be tougher. everyone is at about 55% so it should be finished in the morning. if everyone seeds once finished you should be able to download it in a hour or two. try again once every is done. nausearockpig has pretty fast upload speeds.

if you can't get it then i can send you a dvd.

that's why i didn't want to do this on dime. i wanted to keep the complaining at a minimum.

ThenSheDid

#56 Post by ThenSheDid » Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:00 pm

wow man this is awesome!

can someone direct me to a thread/place where i can find a collection of these 86-91 videos? :hehe:

Larry B.

#57 Post by Larry B. » Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:52 pm

I haven't seen any of the clips posted here... just waiting to see the whole thing. Seems like it's really fucking good.

Be patient, people. It's only one person seeding for like 24 people in a non-dedicated connection.

BTW... just out of curiosity... in uTorrent, if you click on this torrent in the torrent list and then click on Peers in the little window below it... do you see a Chilean flag, by any chance? I just saw an Australian flag and thought 'Hey, that's Nausea!'

filthpurveyor

#58 Post by filthpurveyor » Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:43 pm

Thank you Henry and thank you Creep, it is always nice to have cool shit come out that nobody had in the world of Hoarders as Sonny(the biggest hoarder in the world unless you consider selling stuff not hoarding) likes to say, so once again, thank you to Henry, I'd give a you a hug and an oz of my finest if you were here & thank you Creep for doing the transfer and torrent.

Resist we much, we must, and we will much about that be committed. Quote: Rev. Al Sharpton (My mentor)

filthpurveyor

#59 Post by filthpurveyor » Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:50 pm

I'm at 33% downloaded and its been 22 hours so I guess just be patient and go on the crystal meth diet, watch the download bar for days!!!!!!!!

chaos

#60 Post by chaos » Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:14 pm

creep wrote: i wanted to keep the complaining at a minimum.
:lol:

nausearockpig

#61 Post by nausearockpig » Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:23 am

it's coming down at a decent rate.. Me, I'll be cumming at a decent rate too when I watch this on the weekend. I'll keep seeding for a bit...

Warped

#62 Post by Warped » Thu Mar 22, 2012 7:11 am

I am at 80% already. It's d/l pretty fast since this morning. I'll keep seeding when it's finished.

a headless shell

#63 Post by a headless shell » Thu Mar 22, 2012 7:31 am

so why haven't the boneheads responsible for this sort of thing released an official Lollapalooza JA video, like ten years ago?

SR

#64 Post by SR » Thu Mar 22, 2012 7:54 am

I've often wondered the same thing, but I have to think it's a rights issue. I'm probably in the minority, but I would pay a healthy sum for an entire Lolla 91 show vid.

Mescal

#65 Post by Mescal » Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:07 am

Didn't Jane's Addiction peak around 89/90?

I thought they all hated each other by the time they did Lolla.

Trevor also used loads of recordings from Lolla for his greatest hits live compilation.

So, didn't they perform better when they were still getting along? Also, aren't shows better in small venues than on festivals?

Just a thought, I don't want to kill your guys' enthousiasm about this dvd

Larry B.

#66 Post by Larry B. » Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:10 am

I saw until Three Days this morning... great, great footage.

Many thanks and props to Henry and Creep :tiphat: :tiphat:

Seeding now, of course.

Bandit72

#67 Post by Bandit72 » Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:23 am

This is fucking brilliant beyond words. All I ever wanted was a camera behind Stephen for god knows how long. :worship:

All I need now is for those idiots at Warner Bros to release the pro shot Palladium show then I can die happy. :drink:

Jasper

#68 Post by Jasper » Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:41 am

Mescal wrote:Didn't Jane's Addiction peak around 89/90?

Trevor also used loads of recordings from Lolla for his greatest hits live compilation.

So, didn't they perform better when they were still getting along? Also, aren't shows better in small venues than on festivals?

They played brilliantly whether they got along or not. They hated each other back in the period you're mentioning as well. I'm guessing you couldn't go to a Lolla '91 show, but it was a real carnival, as it was a celebratory coming together of people who hadn't been brought together like that before. It was not like a normal festival at all - it was an immersive cultural phenomenon. This was an amazing thing to have all of these great artists and their fans owning something of this scale. It was triumphant as art and entertainment. An absolute tour de force the likes of which I've never seen since. Jane's owned that fucking stage in the most glorious balls-out manner, and the audience felt like part of the show. Jane's set had an intense feeling of both a great celebration of and elegy for a surging band that had, strangely, already planned their own demise. They played like a band possessed...a band who knew this was for real. I got to meet Steve and Eric who were just out walking around (Dave was too at one point, but I didn't meet him). Fuck, it was amazing.

P.S. This was back when audiences went apeshit for a band like Jane's. There was none of this standing around with your hands in your pockets or recording with a cell phone.

a headless shell

#69 Post by a headless shell » Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:52 am

Jasper wrote:

They played brilliantly whether they got along or not. They hated each other back in the period you're mentioning as well. I'm guessing you couldn't go to a Lolla '91 show, but it was a real carnival, as it was a celebratory coming together of people who hadn't been brought together like that before. It was not like a normal festival at all - it was an immersive cultural phenomenon. This was an amazing thing to have all of these great artists and their fans owning something of this scale. It was triumphant as art and entertainment. An absolute tour de force the likes of which I've never seen since. Jane's owned that fucking stage in the most glorious balls-out manner, and the audience felt like part of the show. Jane's set had an intense feeling of both a great celebration of and elegy for a surging band that had, strangely, already planned their own demise. They played like a band possessed...a band who knew this was for real. I got to meet Steve and Eric who were just out walking around (Dave was too at one point, but I didn't meet him). Fuck, it was amazing.
I wasn't there, which is exactly why I'd buy a DVD, along with many other people I'm sure. The original Lollapalooza name and style still has cultural cachet (witness the Simpsons episode) and a definite mystique, so a festival DVD would generate more buzz than any other live video.

SR

#70 Post by SR » Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:19 am

Jasper wrote:

P.S. This was back when audiences went apeshit for a band like Jane's. There was none of this standing around with your hands in your pockets or recording with a cell phone.
Just spot on, and I might add there was an additional sense of community because Jane's fans then seemed to be a bit more alert, more conscious, more evolved in their understanding of the bravura that was unfolding before us. :worship:

SR

#71 Post by SR » Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:22 am

Oh, and this reminder (thanks again to henry and creep) goes all the way to erase the animosity I have had for these guys lately. Don't like em, but they get an eternal pass from me now. :lol:

ant

#72 Post by ant » Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:38 am

SR wrote:
Jasper wrote:

Just spot on, and I might add there was an additional sense of community because Jane's fans then seemed to be a bit more alert, more conscious, more evolved in their understanding of the bravura that was unfolding before us. :worship:
Indeed. It was a special thing, that first Lolla, when you went a festival and connected with the other 5 kids from each town that were into this music and culture. It was not AT ALL like going to a Lolla today.

Pandemonium

#73 Post by Pandemonium » Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:42 am

Comparing the 2 Ritual era shows I saw, the 12/19/90 Hollywood Palladium show and the 7/24/91 Irvine Meadows, I thought it was like seeing two different bands. Of course, the circumstances between a relatively intimate GA 3k indoor ballroom versus an outdoor multi-band festival setting 18k seater shed added to the fact my buddy (who went to both shows with me) and I were pretty trashed by Jane's set at Irvine has a lot to do with my opinion. And obviously, any given date can be night and day for a band on a long tour regardless of the circumstances as the clips from this dvd indicate this was a pretty awesome night for the band.

But taken strictly as set versus set between the two shows, I though Janes came across *much* better musically at the Palladium even though the setlist played at the Irvine show was drastically better (and longer). The Palladium show was also before it was widely known the band was going to break up at the end of the tour although Perry's not-so-subtle rant before BCS alluded to the rift between him and Eric. And it goes without saying the GA audience was absolutely insane.

Seeing Nine Inch Nails and Siouxsie for the first time and really enjoying both their sets actually kind of lessened the impact of seeing Janes again that night. Perry also seemed not quite up to snuff this show and his voice often broke or sounded weak on some tunes, especially on "Three Days." Still a really good and it was actually great finally hearing "Janes Says" live for the first time as they didn't play it at any of the 3 previous shows I saw between '88 - '90. I have to echo was Jasper said about the overall vibe of that Lollapalooza show - it was a lot more than just a bunch of bands playing on the same stage in one show. There was a lot to see, do, eat and drink *outside* simply watching a bunch of bands. It helped that the lineup was outstanding as well.

I think the only other "event" style shows I've caught that come close to or even exceed Lolla #1 was the '83 US Festival, Lolla #2 '92 in Mountain View and ENIT Fest in '97 in San Francisco.

clickie

#74 Post by clickie » Thu Mar 22, 2012 2:47 pm

lol...pretty soon some of you guys are gonna have it narrowed down to about a one week period somewhere between 88-89 that janes was actually worth paying money to see...

Larry B.

#75 Post by Larry B. » Thu Mar 22, 2012 2:59 pm

clickie wrote:pretty soon some of you guys are gonna have it narrowed down to about a one week period somewhere between 88-89 that janes was actually worth paying money to see...
:lol: