Discussion regarding Jane's Addiction news and associated projects
Warped

Jane's already discussing new music...

#1 Post by Warped » Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:06 pm

http://www.billboard.com/news/jane-s-ad ... 9152.story

just found that over at Mike's...Did not read all but

European FESTIVALS in summer...fuck that. :no: :eyes: :banghead: :banghead:

Larry B.

Re: Jane's already discussing new music...

#2 Post by Larry B. » Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:10 pm

Perkins says there are ideas left over from nearly four years of work, but he doesn't consider that a head start for a next album.

"I think it's always a wrong idea to do that," Perkins explains
Yeah, it's always a wrong idea. Lesson learned from Nothing's Shocking and Ritual de lo Habitual, created from ideas of nearly 4 years of work. It's great that these guys are finally learning from their own mistakes.

:balls: :balls: :dunce:

Warped

#3 Post by Warped » Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:18 pm

"We've got seven, maybe eight songs to pull the trigger on from the new record. That, to me, is so exciting because we've been playing the same beautiful stuff for the last 10 years, with a little bit of the 'Strays' stuff. But to actually have all this new music...and committing to each other to go on tour for a year and make it work and take those songs to another level is really why we exist as a band, you know?"

Should i believe this or not?

Sorry but i am really annoyed by that festival stuff (hope its not true) But maybe Rock'n'Coke in Turkey and that other one in Greece in heat and daylight was such a pleasure that they will do it again instead of playing nice small venues over here...... :no:

Hokahey
Site Admin

#4 Post by Hokahey » Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:28 pm

Also:
The group kicks off the first of three planned North American tour legs on Feb. 22 in St. Louis
Three legs? We'll see. I find it hard to believe.

But this is what these guys need to be doing. Pumping out as much music as possible and touring often with varying set lists each leg/tour.

Eventually, they'll be abe to pull the best few songs from each album and have a lot of options for their sets, and the albums won't be scrutinized so harshly when there's more music on the way. People can better appreciate the albums for what they are, a capture of the band at that moment, instead of "The 4th proper studio album from Jane's Addiction in 25 years."

JOEinPHX

#5 Post by JOEinPHX » Fri Feb 17, 2012 1:06 pm

i had some whole long prediction typed up, but it's just going to come across as negative.

Whenever they release new music, i'll be a first day downloader (assuming downloading still exists when it happens)

bman

#6 Post by bman » Fri Feb 17, 2012 1:12 pm

I'll believe it when I see it.

Jasper

#7 Post by Jasper » Fri Feb 17, 2012 6:46 pm

Uh oh...

Stephen Perkins:
It's like Van Halen; if you can't find anything, go to the old days."

Not that Perkins is dissing his fellow Californians for raiding old demo tapes to make their latest album, mind you.

"I haven't given it a good listen, but I f***in' love Van Halen," Perkins says. "Just to hear the two brothers play is exciting, just to hear what they come up with. It's great to hear guys that have been doing it... however long they've been doing it, still making music. I think they're still f***ing great players, so that's exciting for me."

Pandemonium

#8 Post by Pandemonium » Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:19 pm

Jasper wrote:"I haven't given it a good listen, but I f***in' love Van Halen," Perkins says. "Just to hear the two brothers play is exciting, just to hear what they come up with. It's great to hear guys that have been doing it... however long they've been doing it, still making music. I think they're still f***ing great players, so that's exciting for me."
[/quote]

Hee hee. See? It's not such a stretch someone like me can be into both bands.

Matz

#9 Post by Matz » Sat Feb 18, 2012 5:26 am

don't forget that VH was a big influence on Dave and therefore ultimately an influence on Jane's as well. Alex was probably a big influence on Stephen too I guess

bman

#10 Post by bman » Sat Feb 18, 2012 8:21 am

I never once heard Dave mention VH as an influence. I've only heard talk about Page and Hendrix.

Pandemonium

#11 Post by Pandemonium » Sat Feb 18, 2012 10:53 am

bman wrote:I never once heard Dave mention VH as an influence. I've only heard talk about Page and Hendrix.

Matz

#12 Post by Matz » Sat Feb 18, 2012 12:39 pm

this is a Dave quote from an article in Guitar Player
I also went through the phase where I was trying to learn all the Eddie stuff and all the Yngwie stuff, and I think that definitely helped my chops. But then I went through a phase where I had to try to unlearn some of it, to almost de-program myself. I got into effects a lot too, so I started toying with those, trying to find a middle ground between effected stuff and technical stuff

JOEinPHX

#13 Post by JOEinPHX » Sat Feb 18, 2012 1:14 pm

bman wrote:I never once heard Dave mention VH as an influence. I've only heard talk about Page and Hendrix.
Page and Hendrix were where he started, then later it was Van Halen, then he moved into his Robert Smith and David Gilmore phase.

Over the years his answers have changed. Or he will actually elaborate and talk about all his phases or current influences.

Leto

#14 Post by Leto » Sat Feb 18, 2012 1:23 pm

Six7Six7 wrote:...then he moved into his Robert Smith and David Gilmore phase.
Also, McGeoch from the Banshees.

Tyler Durden

#15 Post by Tyler Durden » Sat Feb 18, 2012 1:44 pm

This is so typically Perk. The guy ALWAYS talks in fucking circles.
Perkins says there are ideas left over from nearly four years of work, but he doesn't consider that a head start for a next album.

"I think it's always a wrong idea to do that," Perkins explains, " 'cause hopefully you're different musicians and the world has changed. It's always good to do something new to see what you've been through the last year and reflect that. But a great melody and a great guitar riff stand forever. They're timeless. It's like Van Halen; if you can't find anything, go to the old days."
:kv:

Pandemonium

#16 Post by Pandemonium » Sat Feb 18, 2012 4:42 pm

Leto wrote:
Six7Six7 wrote:...then he moved into his Robert Smith and David Gilmore phase.
Also, McGeoch from the Banshees.
Daniel Ash too.

Deconstruction

#17 Post by Deconstruction » Sun Feb 19, 2012 12:02 am

Tyler Durden wrote:This is so typically Perk. The guy ALWAYS talks in fucking circles.

"I think it's always a wrong idea to do that," Perkins explains, " 'cause hopefully you're different musicians and the world has changed. It's always good to do something new to see what you've been through the last year and reflect that. But a great melody and a great guitar riff stand forever. They're timeless. It's like Van Halen; if you can't find anything, go to the old days."
:kv:
Future news story: Jane's Addiction have released the lead single from their new album, "My Cat's Name Is Maceo."

Tyler Durden

#18 Post by Tyler Durden » Sun Feb 19, 2012 3:33 pm

I really don't buy this new music talk. The band talked about a follow-up to Strays while promoting Strays; saying it would be out within two years (making its release by 2005).

If there is a followup to TGEA, I don't see it being released any time before fall of 2015. And that's being GENEROUS about it.

Hokahey
Site Admin

#19 Post by Hokahey » Sun Feb 19, 2012 4:49 pm

Tyler Durden wrote:I really don't buy this new music talk. The band talked about a follow-up to Strays while promoting Strays; saying it would be out within two years (making its release by 2005).

If there is a followup to TGEA, I don't see it being released any time before fall of 2015. And that's being GENEROUS about it.

Well, they also broke up shortly after the Strays release.

I'm not sure I buy it either, but assuming they keep getting along it's inevitable really.

Tyler Durden

#20 Post by Tyler Durden » Sun Feb 19, 2012 5:08 pm

hokahey wrote:
Tyler Durden wrote:I really don't buy this new music talk. The band talked about a follow-up to Strays while promoting Strays; saying it would be out within two years (making its release by 2005).

I'm not sure I buy it either, but assuming they keep getting along it's inevitable really.
You think they won't break up again? :lol:

Hokahey
Site Admin

#21 Post by Hokahey » Sun Feb 19, 2012 5:42 pm

Tyler Durden wrote:
hokahey wrote:

Do you know how to read?

JOEinPHX

#22 Post by JOEinPHX » Sun Feb 19, 2012 6:06 pm

i do!

Hoka just said it's inevitable that they will break up again.

Then the PerryEtty Dance Review will come to a sockhop near you.

</sarcasm>
Last edited by JOEinPHX on Sun Feb 19, 2012 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

imail724

#23 Post by imail724 » Sun Feb 19, 2012 6:09 pm

No, he said if they DON'T break up, it's inevitable that they will record new music.

Tyler Durden

#24 Post by Tyler Durden » Sun Feb 19, 2012 6:09 pm

hokahey wrote:
Tyler Durden wrote:
hokahey wrote:

Do you know how to read?
Relax. I thought you were saying it is inevitable that they will make more music. Read what you posted. :confused:

creep
Site Admin

#25 Post by creep » Sun Feb 19, 2012 6:10 pm

i'm confused. can we get jasper in here to explain it to me?