Front Page News

Discussion regarding Jane's Addiction news and associated projects
Hokahey
Site Admin

Front Page News

#1 Post by Hokahey » Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:17 am

Does anyone ever go to the front page? I havent updated it in forever. It just seems pointless. I had designs of making this a full blown site, but I'm not sure what the point would be. JA.org has already compiled *coughstolencough* all of the content from all the previous sites, so I see no reason to duplicate that.

Just thought I'd get everyone's opinions on making this site strictly a message board.

JOEinPHX

Re: Front Page News

#2 Post by JOEinPHX » Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:21 am

Just set it up so their frames load under your headers. haha

Hokahey
Site Admin

#3 Post by Hokahey » Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:27 am

Six7Six7 wrote:Just set it up so their frames load under your headers. haha
I'm sure team JA.org would immediately convene a staff meeting to discuss that troubling turn of events and formulate a strategy to eliminate us from all of the internetz.

JOEinPHX

#4 Post by JOEinPHX » Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:29 am

I'll bet JA.org supports SOPA

Hokahey
Site Admin

#5 Post by Hokahey » Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:30 am

Six7Six7 wrote:I'll bet JA.org supports SOPA
Stop Offending Perry and Associates?

Warped

#6 Post by Warped » Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:36 am

:lol:

Back to topic: I never read the front page, straight to the forum that's it for me.

Artemis

#7 Post by Artemis » Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:42 am

I think it would be a good idea t o keep the front page au currant.

It makes the site seem more serious and professional, imo.

SR

#8 Post by SR » Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:04 am

Needs to be addressed ....otherwise this place is just a bunch of weirdos who can't let go of the past argue ad infinitum on meaningless topics. :tiphat:

As I've said before, I like the idea of it being almost journalistic in nature. I'm not sure how to accomplish that, but I think xiola came close but was effectively torpedoed by itself. :balls:

I personally never visit the front page and can't even stand the Jane's threads anymore. :scared:

Essence_Smith

#9 Post by Essence_Smith » Wed Jan 18, 2012 2:26 pm

SR wrote:Needs to be addressed ....otherwise this place is just a bunch of weirdos who can't let go of the past argue ad infinitum on meaningless topics. :tiphat:

As I've said before, I like the idea of it being almost journalistic in nature. I'm not sure how to accomplish that, but I think xiola came close but was effectively torpedoed by itself. :balls:

I personally never visit the front page and can't even stand the Jane's threads anymore. :scared:
:nod:
Real talk...good luck... :wave:

Hokahey
Site Admin

#10 Post by Hokahey » Wed Jan 18, 2012 2:39 pm

I've considered going the route Sonny did and update it with more personal commentary and news reports for significant events instead of regular news updates. I just dont have the time.

Bandit72

#11 Post by Bandit72 » Wed Jan 18, 2012 2:45 pm

:lolol:

This site will be the first to go. Handsome Mike will block us all.

Japhy

#12 Post by Japhy » Wed Jan 18, 2012 2:54 pm

Artemis wrote:I think it would be a good idea t o keep the front page au currant.

It makes the site seem more serious and professional, imo.
Ditto.

SR

#13 Post by SR » Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:12 pm

I think it should focus on trying to uncover existing data on Jane's (when they were Jane's) and conduct new interviews in an attempt to document the greatness. Interviews on the new work would be great too as I think the people here have a knowledge of the band that would be inimitable for revealing questions. God knows they have done everything in their power to destroy the legacy.

That's really what I meant about xiola being on that track. The EA interview, although flawed, was a great start. It was the ad hominem attacks bordering on outright insanity that were continually permitted that were the deathknell for the type of site I'm suggesting.

Hokahey
Site Admin

#14 Post by Hokahey » Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:35 pm

SR wrote:I think it should focus on trying to uncover existing data on Jane's (when they were Jane's) and conduct new interviews in an attempt to document the greatness. Interviews on the new work would be great too as I think the people here have a knowledge of the band that would be inimitable for revealing questions. God knows they have done everything in their power to destroy the legacy.

That's really what I meant about xiola being on that track. The EA interview, although flawed, was a great start. It was the ad hominem attacks bordering on outright insanity that were continually permitted that were the deathknell for the type of site I'm suggesting.
Those types of interviews require juice unless we're rehashing old ground with the accessible players (Pete, Casey, Jane etc.)

I no longer have any connection with anyone. No one from the current Jane's camp would talk to me I'm sure. Eric has said his piece.

Back when the original ANR had some pull I put in interview requests with everyone from Henry Rollins to Dave Jerden to talk Jane's.

I understand everyone wants that kind of reporting but I dont see it happening, unless as I said, it's asking Casey about TGEA. No one cares.

Japhy

#15 Post by Japhy » Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:55 pm

Couldn't we play nice with Dave on twitter? I'm sure he'd do a Q & A on the record / upcoming tour etc if we submitted a shed load of questions that he could choose to answer. Don't know where we'd send the questions to mind as I'm sure he wouldn't stick an email addy on his twitter feed.

He was pretty open with a twitter Q & A the other night, so i don't see what he'd be losing by contributing a bunch of answers to this place.

tubro

#16 Post by tubro » Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:56 pm

personally (and selfishly) i'd like to see tour dates updated. to the extent possible, it would be cool if the front page had any 'breaking' news, although i'm sort of giggling as i write that, since seriously, what 'big news' will these guys likely be a part of? 'dave navarro gets new tattoo and 3 shitty cable channels cover it live?' 'perry farrell goes to shul and recites from the torah to the tune of 'been caught stealing'?

but in truth, hopping straight to the forum is as likely as anything to update me on any announcement type material and putting the onus on hoka to do daily updates like that doesn't seem particularly fair. so i'll say, hoka, keeping the forum alive is enough (dayenu, to perry farrell fans out there) but whenever you've got a moment to update current events or put up a picture, it'll be appreciated.

Hokahey
Site Admin

#17 Post by Hokahey » Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:05 pm

If someone wants to coordinate an interview with anyone on behalf of the site feel free.

As far as news, it just seems redundant to have it on the front page and in the forums.

Japhy

#18 Post by Japhy » Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:32 pm

hokahey wrote:If someone wants to coordinate an interview with anyone on behalf of the site feel free.

As far as news, it just seems redundant to have it on the front page and in the forums.
I'll happily tweet him a few times to try and get a response then mate. Let's see what comes of it. Think Perkana, Artemis or Romeo might have a better chance though... or even Farrellgirl... isn't she like 20 or something?!!

Pandemonium

#19 Post by Pandemonium » Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:22 pm

hokahey wrote:If someone wants to coordinate an interview with anyone on behalf of the site feel free.

Front page announces the news, the forums discuss it. I don't think it needs to be anything really elaborate, just headlines with a couple sentences and maybe relevant url links. But there should be something other than some sort of graphic on a front page with a link to the message board.

Artemis

#20 Post by Artemis » Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:49 pm

Japhy wrote:

I'll happily tweet him a few times to try and get a response then mate. Let's see what comes of it. Think Perkana, Artemis or Romeo might have a better chance though... or even Farrellgirl... isn't she like 20 or something?!!
I think someone with more tweeting experience than me should do the deed. I have only ever made a single solitary tweet.

creep
Site Admin

#21 Post by creep » Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:33 pm

i want daily updates

CaseyContrarian

#22 Post by CaseyContrarian » Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:06 pm

LOLOLOLOLOL

Warped

#23 Post by Warped » Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:01 am

Japhy wrote:

Most important thing is the twitter pic so consider that. :boobs:
I tweeted to Dave and Perry from time to time, sometimes i got an answer - in the majority of cases NO.

But i like the idea of doing a Q&A with him when tour starts. He would be okay with that probably...Question is how to address that.

Lokus

#24 Post by Lokus » Sat Jan 21, 2012 7:19 pm

I certainly never read the front page because I'll either get my news through the forum, or through the RSS and Twitter feeds from the band members official sites.

However, I imagine a lot of casual JA fans or people who decide to Google them for whatever reason, would appreciate an up to date fan page other than JA.org.

krakle

#25 Post by krakle » Sun Jan 22, 2012 12:52 pm

hokahey wrote:Does anyone ever go to the front page?
yes. I like the (lack of) updates.