JANE'S ADDICTION - FIXED

Discussion regarding Jane's Addiction news and associated projects
Larry B.

Re: JANE'S ADDICTION - FIXED

#26 Post by Larry B. » Fri Dec 02, 2011 7:48 pm

What Creep said :nod:.
That's what I meant with my previous post... it's great that he took the time to do it and share it here, but the whole "this album could easily outsold TGEA and I can expect the Remix Nobel prize any minute now" attitude makes me a bit uncomfortable, especially because the remixes aren't good.

CaseyContrarian

#27 Post by CaseyContrarian » Fri Dec 02, 2011 7:59 pm

Larry B. wrote:What Creep said :nod:.
That's what I meant with my previous post... it's great that he took the time to do it and share it here, but the whole "this album could easily outsold TGEA and I can expect the Remix Nobel prize any minute now" attitude makes me a bit uncomfortable, especially because the remixes aren't good.
It's not weird, it's funny. And kind of sad. Although there is something comforting in knowing that this level of delusion can be maintained. Like, it helps ground reality on some level.

I just get fucking annoyed by shit musicians who think they're God's gift. And sometimes it shows. Oops.

Still enjoy his posts,though. The guy has a certain way with his rants.

Suckerpunch

#28 Post by Suckerpunch » Fri Dec 02, 2011 9:42 pm

CaseyContrarian wrote:
It's not weird, it's funny. And kind of sad. Although there is something comforting in knowing that this level of delusion can be maintained. Like, it helps ground reality on some level.

I just get fucking annoyed by shit musicians who think they're God's gift. And sometimes it shows. Oops.

"shit musicians"? Wow you have a serious issue with this guy's musical aptitude. Are you a rush fan or something?

CaseyContrarian

#29 Post by CaseyContrarian » Fri Dec 02, 2011 10:20 pm

Suckerpunch wrote:
CaseyContrarian wrote:

"shit musicians"? Wow you have a serious issue with this guy's musical aptitude. Are you a rush fan or something?
No. It's just the attitude. Trevor pushes a really hard sell. Like, obnoxiously hard. And so what was merely dismissable or perhaps worth a passing snicker becomes aggressively awful and deserving of derision with extreme prejudice.

It's fine. I'll stop picking on him. It's not very nice of me.

trevor ayer

#30 Post by trevor ayer » Fri Dec 02, 2011 10:32 pm

CaseyContrarian wrote:
Suckerpunch wrote:
CaseyContrarian wrote:

No. It's just the attitude. Trevor pushes a really hard sell. Like, obnoxiously hard. And so what was merely dismissable or perhaps worth a passing snicker becomes aggressively awful and deserving of derision with extreme prejudice.

It's fine. I'll stop picking on him. It's not very nice of me.

i just dont see what is so pushy about sharing something i did that i like .. u don't have to like it .. but i like when people share their shit .. like that sanfran whores mashup .. its not perfect but its cool .. whats the big fuckin deal .. my remix makes the new record listenable to me .. thats not bragging thats just fact ... i don't really mind if u don't like it but i do think it takes a little bit to get the old songs out of your head and not notice the edits so much .. so i guess i am just pushin for giving it a real chance instead of dismissing it because some knowit all wants to dismiss it without even listening to it

CaseyContrarian

#31 Post by CaseyContrarian » Fri Dec 02, 2011 10:59 pm

Fair enough. I'll listen to it.

kv

#32 Post by kv » Sat Dec 03, 2011 2:01 am

a lot of :crazy: going on in this thread
Last edited by kv on Sat Dec 03, 2011 2:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

kv

#33 Post by kv » Sat Dec 03, 2011 2:06 am

Suckerpunch wrote:
CaseyContrarian wrote:

who are you btw? i think trevor is doing just fine sticking up for himself without your help :tiphat: btw half you posts are either standing up for trevor or complimenting him...you guys related? trev, is sucker your mom or a second account?
:lol:

Suckerpunch

#34 Post by Suckerpunch » Sat Dec 03, 2011 4:05 am

1 compliment months ago and then two posts in this thread. Not related, just joining the convo. No idea who Trevor is.

kv

#35 Post by kv » Sat Dec 03, 2011 4:27 am

right on :tiphat:

Pillar Girl

#36 Post by Pillar Girl » Sat Dec 03, 2011 7:38 am

remixing is a very very tough pill, even when its not your own music to start with. being a musician myself, i usually will stay away from other bands
songs unless i can completely do it all myself, and when you hear it, its a far-cry from the original version. but for people who don't play instruments,
and just remix, its a cut throat business.

and if your throwing yourself out there, to the wolves so too speak, and expecting criticism/feedback, you need thick skin. you are taking art,
and re-painting it basically to your own expression. so unless you can blow away the original versions, your not going to get far with these mixes
in public perception. take a que from people who remix Depeche Mode's tracks, they've been doing it for 20+ years, and some of those are almost
if not better than the bands version.

as i did listen to a few of the mixes, and quite frankly, i wouldn't listen to it again, because its not professional. its amature.
the heart is there, the enthusiasm is obvious for the songs, but yes, its not what i would go out of my way to purchase a remix.

another thing to remember, when you title a thread "....fixed" its probably going to be a strike against you. the record by the band is what it is,
i personally like it. i don't like it 100%, but i do like most of it. and i wouldn't call it a corporate rock record as the OP did, its far from that.

good effort, keep at it, if you love remixing, and its your thing you connect with, don't let others stop your dreams, its a tough road to follow,
when you re-do someone else's music, as you would take far less criticism on your own original work.

CaseyContrarian

#37 Post by CaseyContrarian » Sat Dec 03, 2011 8:49 am

Oh, I'm pretty sure it isn't so hard to criticize Trevor's original work. 

Since we need to satisfy the intrigue around my original tipsy (and definitely annoyed) aside, here's the deal:

Trevor and I more or less came out of the same scene in the very early '90s. This little scene had a head of steam, and there was some good-natured competition, as well as some real talent. As these things play themselves out, such flashes of glory are bound to be temporary. Unfortunately, that scene got kind of big for its britches, and even those with less of a reason for peacocking became a bit... deluded. But it was fun for a 21-year old like me to sell out 500+ capacity clubs (headlining) throughout the region. I probably got a big head, too. Still have one. But I digress. 

Later, I was a buyer for the city's ancient independent record store, and Trevor was one of the many old scene acquaintances whose music I was responsible for consigning (if they were still active).

I always admired his dedication to keep plugging along, and thought he was perfectly charming in his way. That obnoxious hard-sell was definitely there, though, but I made  the effort to listen to his stuff regardless. It's not good. 

I am a musician and producer. I've sold a lot of records when that was a thing (and mastered or mixed countless more), and I still operate a small label. It's fun. I don't play live because I always fucking hated it. But that's a different matter. 

After that I was a full-time music critic.

I now work in music-tech-policy-law in DC, protecting the interests of the artist against the colossal incumbent industries (think RIAA, MPAA). A lot of the musicians (and producers)  I revered as a kid are now personal friends, which is awesome. Some are bona fide legends. I also teach a grad school course in music and technology at Georgetown University. This is extra cool, as I never finished college. 

My magazine(y) site is here:
http://www.thecontrarianmedia.com/

Label site is here:
http://www.luxeternarecords.com/

DC think tank is here:
http://www.futureofmusic.org

That's all you'll ever need or want to know about me. So much for anonymity on the only public board to which I contribute. 

So yeah, I'm hard on Trevor, and I hold my old hometown up to some pretty high standards. But I think I can back those standards up, especially when it comes to musical expression. 

Happy that Trevor is still so passionate. And he has a great tone in this site unless he's in promoting-Trevor mode. If I sounded flippant or hurt his feelings, I apologize. Maybe we all learned something. 

And that something is that post-'91 JA SUKKKS BALLZ!

CaseyContrarian

#38 Post by CaseyContrarian » Sat Dec 03, 2011 9:43 am

OK. Just listened to it. It's not a remix, he just cut and pasted and removed the choruses. That's to be expected, since he didn't have the independent tracks except for IF.

And listening to that hot mess, I'm glad he didn't.

I declined to participate in the official JA contest, but if anyone still has the stems they wanna upload, I'll put off real work and do one today, just for you (and the sake of argument).

trevor ayer

#39 Post by trevor ayer » Sat Dec 03, 2011 10:02 am

goddamn casey .. and you think i like to toot my own horn .. jesus dude .. plus i read your rocketsled bio .. ahead of your time eh? .. ha! .. richard haup was a vast improvement .. vt's black hairy tongue preceeded you by light years .. as did every nyc hardcore band out there .. you wanna diss my music all the time but yer just jealous cuz A. i put out vermonts FIRST box set .. got 3 1/2 stars (better review than tgea bitch) and B. I called yer band "rockethead" in my world famous "local music sucks" record .. and that was all while i was still playing with 4 track cassette recorders and playing ALL the instruments myself .. and generally trying to be as obnoxious as humanly possible .. i mean are you really gonna judge my accapella beavis and buthead version of "darling nikki" with the same high expectations as your poseur emo core drivel rehash .. i really don't remember you being the guy working at the music store that i dropped my tunes off at .. nor do i ever remember meeting you or having a single conversation with you .. so no .. i don't know you .. i guess i kinda know you better now than i ever did back then .. which is still pretty much NOT knowing you .. but i am happy to hear you have kept tabs on me over the years .. i am flattered .. really .. i have always taken a lofi aproach .. in fact i was dubbed the "lo fi king" by the newpapers at one point .. i know people who are fixated on technical precision don't care for what i do .. and i couldn't give a shit .. lots of people respect my work .. demos, rehearsal tapes overblown studio work .. theres tons of it .. about 400 songs .. some lofi crap .. some radio ready genius (ha) .. i am not very good at making it easy to sift thru but those who do generally find something they can respect and appreciate .. i really dont self promo myself much on this site .. believe me i could post a billion links but i don't .. this fixed record IS pretty darn janes related .. i am NOT selling it .. its a free LOSSLESS download for all to check out .. there is nothing to promo .. i will wholeheartedly admit that i should spend more time on my recording process .. i tend to demo stuff super fast or just build on rehearsal tapes .. but at the same time .. for you to slag on my musicianship is a joke .. you grunt dude .. that is the extent of your talent .. i still blow the roof off of places today .. i still work with big names today .. i still record today .. this fixed project was a fun little side project because trying to listen to the janes record was pissing me off .. your condescending bullshit must be your emocore way of reaching out and saying hi .. hi casey .. nice to meet you .. ps .. we didn't come from the same scene .. you came after me .. i write well respected songs (sometimes) and you grunt ..

trevor ayer

#40 Post by trevor ayer » Sat Dec 03, 2011 10:13 am

Pillar Girl wrote:remixing is a very very tough pill, even when its not your own music to start with. being a musician myself, i usually will stay away from other bands
songs unless i can completely do it all myself, and when you hear it, its a far-cry from the original version. but for people who don't play instruments,

and if your throwing yourself out there, to the wolves so too speak, and expecting criticism/feedback, you need thick skin. you are taking art,
and re-painting it basically to your own expression. so unless you can blow away the original versions, your not going to get far with these mixes
in public perception. take a que from people who remix Depeche Mode's tracks, they've been doing it for 20+ years, and some of those are almost

as i did listen to a few of the mixes, and quite frankly, i wouldn't listen to it again, because its not professional. its amature.
the heart is there, the enthusiasm is obvious for the songs, but yes, its not what i would go out of my way to purchase a remix.

another thing to remember, when you title a thread "....fixed" its probably going to be a strike against you. the record by the band is what it is,
i personally like it. i don't like it 100%, but i do like most of it. and i wouldn't call it a corporate rock record as the OP did, its far from that.

good effort, keep at it, if you love remixing, and its your thing you connect with, don't let others stop your dreams, its a tough road to follow,
when you re-do someone else's music, as you would take far less criticism on your own original work.
i totally get what you are saying about the FIXED title ... and perhaps my ego is a bit big for my britches .. (it was getting a little tight down there .. ahem) .. and i really appreciate your kindly worded feedback .. BUT .. i really like the FIXED title .. come on its janes ADDICTION .. a band that shoots up .. its also a nod to NIN fixed record and .. if you had seen the original cover art i made .. it had even one more double tripple entendre .. i had that etty naked in the sink pic .. mostly to piss off all the etty haters .. cuz u gotta have the woman perry loves on the cover of a janes record .. and i had the word FIXED tatooed down her backside .. eventually i could not stand looking at etty on a janes cover so i switched if ofr the ettl girl .. but perry being fixed by etty was a pretty funny concept too .. but all in all .. my ego aside .. FIXED is the perfect name for a janes record in my opinion .. i know its anot beyond amature .. but i still think the edits arent bad when you forget the original tunes .. i think this record gives back a little of what made janes great ... by deleting some shitty chorus and lyrical content .. and i think it gives perry a little of his techno trance vibe he had on sytbs .. if u like the new record this will rub you wrong .. if you hatee the new record .. give this a spin for a couple weeks strait without listening to the old versions .. i bet you will dig it eventually .. i was super thinking it sucked for a while then got used to the edites now i love it and thats why i posted it ..

CaseyContrarian

#41 Post by CaseyContrarian » Sat Dec 03, 2011 10:22 am

trevor ayer wrote:
Pillar Girl wrote:remixing is a very very tough pill, even when its not your own music to start with. being a musician myself, i usually will stay away from other bands

i totally get what you are saying about the FIXED title ... and perhaps my ego is a bit big for my britches .. (it was getting a little tight down there .. ahem) .. and i really appreciate your kindly worded feedback .. BUT .. i really like the FIXED title .. come on its janes ADDICTION .. a band that shoots up .. its also a nod to NIN fixed record and .. if you had seen the original cover art i made .. it had even one more double tripple entendre .. i had that etty naked in the sink pic .. mostly to piss off all the etty haters .. cuz u gotta have the woman perry loves on the cover of a janes record .. and i had the word FIXED tatooed down her backside .. eventually i could not stand looking at etty on a janes cover so i switched if ofr the ettl girl .. but perry being fixed by etty was a pretty funny concept too .. but all in all .. my ego aside .. FIXED is the perfect name for a janes record in my opinion .. i know its anot beyond amature .. but i still think the edits arent bad when you forget the original tunes .. i think this record gives back a little of what made janes great ... by deleting some shitty chorus and lyrical content .. and i think it gives perry a little of his techno trance vibe he had on sytbs .. if u like the new record this will rub you wrong .. if you hatee the new record .. give this a spin for a couple weeks strait without listening to the old versions .. i bet you will dig it eventually .. i was super thinking it sucked for a while then got used to the edites now i love it and thats why i posted it ..
I liked Curiosity Kills, except for the "Look away" part, which was too jarring. I could see what you were going for on the others, but I'm not sure it's necessarily an improvement to remove *every* chorus.

CaseyContrarian

#42 Post by CaseyContrarian » Sat Dec 03, 2011 10:30 am

trevor ayer wrote:goddamn casey .. and you think i like to toot my own horn .. jesus dude .. plus i read your rocketsled bio .. ahead of your time eh? .. ha! .. richard haup was a vast improvement .. vt's black hairy tongue preceeded you by light years .. as did every nyc hardcore band out there .. you wanna diss my music all the time but yer just jealous cuz A. i put out vermonts FIRST box set .. got 3 1/2 stars (better review than tgea bitch) and B. I called yer band "rockethead" in my world famous "local music sucks" record .. and that was all while i was still playing with 4 track cassette recorders and playing ALL the instruments myself .. and generally trying to be as obnoxious as humanly possible .. i mean are you really gonna judge my accapella beavis and buthead version of "darling nikki" with the same high expectations as your poseur emo core drivel rehash .. i really don't remember you being the guy working at the music store that i dropped my tunes off at .. nor do i ever remember meeting you or having a single conversation with you .. so no .. i don't know you .. i guess i kinda know you better now than i ever did back then .. which is still pretty much NOT knowing you .. but i am happy to hear you have kept tabs on me over the years .. i am flattered .. really .. i have always taken a lofi aproach .. in fact i was dubbed the "lo fi king" by the newpapers at one point .. i know people who are fixated on technical precision don't care for what i do .. and i couldn't give a shit .. lots of people respect my work .. demos, rehearsal tapes overblown studio work .. theres tons of it .. about 400 songs .. some lofi crap .. some radio ready genius (ha) .. i am not very good at making it easy to sift thru but those who do generally find something they can respect and appreciate .. i really dont self promo myself much on this site .. believe me i could post a billion links but i don't .. this fixed record IS pretty darn janes related .. i am NOT selling it .. its a free LOSSLESS download for all to check out .. there is nothing to promo .. i will wholeheartedly admit that i should spend more time on my recording process .. i tend to demo stuff super fast or just build on rehearsal tapes .. but at the same time .. for you to slag on my musicianship is a joke .. you grunt dude .. that is the extent of your talent .. i still blow the roof off of places today .. i still work with big names today .. i still record today .. this fixed project was a fun little side project because trying to listen to the janes record was pissing me off .. your condescending bullshit must be your emocore way of reaching out and saying hi .. hi casey .. nice to meet you .. ps .. we didn't come from the same scene .. you came after me .. i write well respected songs (sometimes) and you grunt ..
Trevor, I played in that one band (which was more Kyuss than NYHC, not that you'd notice) for a brief time, before moving on to several other acts, and then professional production. All of them were successful, and at least four got major indie deals. If you'd like to hear any of it, I'd be happy to point you to it. Here's some records over the past 5 years since I gave up on bands: http://www.luxeternarecords.com/music/

All instruments and production by me.

We didn't hang or anything, but we know all of the same people, many very well. I definitely consigned your records, but you may have been in a manic episode or smoked out or god knows what, and don't recall. But I do remember how crestfallen you'd be when exactly none sold after a year or more. I hardly kept track of you, but I started to see the stuff you posted at Xiola, and made sure to check out your latest efforts. Because, unlike you, I actually consider stuff before I shoot my mouth off about it.

Anyway, I like your posts here when you aren't talking about how brilliant you are at music and how JA should hire you as a producer. I'm sure there's a gem or two in your catalog. If you wanna do some sifting for me, I'd be happy to check it out.

CaseyContrarian

#43 Post by CaseyContrarian » Sat Dec 03, 2011 10:38 am

I'm willing to leave it at us both having giant motherfucking egos.

EDIT: I like "The Pain that Comes from Being Born In this World." But you should probably tune your guitars more.

intertwoven

#44 Post by intertwoven » Sat Dec 03, 2011 11:46 am

I really like "Changes Come". His cover of 3 Days is pretty sweet too.
CaseyContrarian wrote:I declined to participate in the official JA contest, but if anyone still has the stems they wanna upload, I'll put off real work and do one today, just for you (and the sake of argument).
IF multitracks, via the fine folks of ja.org.. http://forums.janesaddiction.org/viewto ... 37&p=21043

and hey, speaking of fan-made c&p albums and promotion of such projects, here's a link to that Jane's album I made a couple years ago: Colours of Earth and Plants
and I'd like to invite you all to stream my latest album here

Matz

#45 Post by Matz » Sat Dec 03, 2011 11:50 am

intertwoven wrote:I really like "Changes Come". His cover of 3 Days is pretty sweet too.
CaseyContrarian wrote:I declined to participate in the official JA contest, but if anyone still has the stems they wanna upload, I'll put off real work and do one today, just for you (and the sake of argument).
IF multitracks, via the fine folks of ja.org.. http://forums.janesaddiction.org/viewto ... 37&p=21043

and hey, speaking of fan-made c&p albums and promotion of such projects, here's a link to that Jane's album I made a couple years ago: Colours of Earth and Plants
I forgot about that, I'll definitely take a listen again, there is some really cool stuff on it, very original concept

CaseyContrarian

#46 Post by CaseyContrarian » Sat Dec 03, 2011 11:52 am

intertwoven wrote:I really like "Changes Come". His cover of 3 Days is pretty sweet too.

Crap. This means I have to sign up for JA.org. I REALLy wann remix this today, and give myself 3 hours to do so,

:banghead:

trevor ayer

#48 Post by trevor ayer » Mon Dec 05, 2011 10:50 pm

CaseyContrarian wrote: I liked Curiosity Kills, except for the "Look away" part, which was too jarring. I could see what you were going for on the others, but I'm not sure it's necessarily an improvement to remove *every* chorus.
the thing that i have a hard time with is the fact that i am super critical of music .. my own as well .. i am aware of all the flaws .. i didn't spend a whole lot of time on it as i didnt have the multi trax to even work with .. i was just surprised at how much i ended up liking it .. it's a flawed sleeper in my humble yet overqualified opinion .. i found shit on this record that i really think stands the test of time .. melodies .. beats .. actual good lyrics .. i think i brought them out .. thats not me bragging that is me just saying .. as much as they piss me off .. i wanted more for them to suceed on some level .. as i said .. this is not for people who love the new janes record .. you will miss your favorite part probably, that being the chorus, that i ripped out .. if not most of the whole song on some occasions .. i really get that people find the edits jarring .. i did too .. until i stopped listening so obsessively .. now i put it on and i really don't think the edits are that bad at all .. i found for myself that it was thinking a part was coming, that was now gone, was more why it sounded off .. not the actual edit .. yup i get that some of you genuinely think its too unprofessional .. get me those multi tracks and i will take the time to make it perfect .. but until then i will say .. i thought the exact same thing as all the negative critique .. there are still parts i wish i could fix better but the source material is not there and i really did not want this to be about me wanking my guitar skillz all over a janes record .. i wanted it to be purely janes sourced .. and i was listening to this tune just now and really enjoyed it and see that you kinda get what i did with it .. so i am getting back to you and saying that the overly negative insults added to the critique are making it hard to put over that this record, due to the original being so engrained, is a sleeper .. and i hope despite your first impressions, that you give it a chance to sneak up on you one day .. if u dont like the original tgea put it down for a couple weeks and pick this up and give it a chance until you kinda forget how the old versions went .. i think you will be surprised .. its a whole record .. not any individual song .. sequenced .. lyrics edited .. different themes encouraged .. other themes deleted .. thanks for giving it an honest listen casey .. finally .. glad u found something u didn't totally hate on it .. i can tell ur enough of a musician that you may appreciate this more in the long run .. i'd be curious to hear if you ever revisit it in the future .. that said .. my main issue with the negative critique is that the usual gang of guys that like to dump on me are using the flaws more as fuel to the fire .. not neccessarily because they even gave it a quarter of a listen .. it is pretty easy to throw this on and call it a cd skipping .. ouch .. but ya kinda gotta let go of that to really hear this record .. and nobody is even gonna give it a chance if u just keep dumping on it for the sake of dumping on it .. thanks to all of you who gave honest feedback .. good or bad .. forgive me if i push a little harder to give it some time to grow on you ..

kv

#49 Post by kv » Tue Dec 06, 2011 4:48 am

:blah:

trevor ayer

#50 Post by trevor ayer » Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:13 pm

Thanks to those of you still checking this out and downloading it despite all the hazing. If you are feelin done with TGEA and disappointed, it's a good time to check out the remix.

Download in lossless for FREE!!

right here ...

http://trevorayer.bandcamp.com/album/fi ... revor-ayer

:ns: