TGEA- A month In

Discussion regarding Jane's Addiction news and associated projects
bman

TGEA- A month In

#1 Post by bman » Tue Nov 15, 2011 10:07 am

So we've all had a month to digest TGEA. I still like this album and think it's a solid effort. I think the lyrics and music are solid. My only complaint is the length of the songs. ALL of them need 1 or 2 extra minutes. They don't need structural changes are even more lyrics. They simply lack jams. If these songs had more time to breath they would be great. For example, Curiosity Kills needs more music before the lyrics come in, Twisted needs more music towards the end. They need a bit of a 3 days jam here and there. I don't know why they refuse to jam with the exception of the Vibes show.

Matz

Re: TGEA- A month In

#2 Post by Matz » Tue Nov 15, 2011 10:23 am

I haven't listened to it much to be honest, I couldn't name all the tracks on it let alone in the right order. It just doesn't do it for me except IF and ETTL and certain sections of songs and stuff

blackula

#3 Post by blackula » Tue Nov 15, 2011 10:34 am

I listened quite a bit when it first came out. I bought the CD at Irving Plaza and left it in my car cd player for a good 2 weeks. The shine has faded a month in, I still like the first four songs, though. It's not an embarrassing release, no Superheroes, but it just lacks that extra special quality that made the original albums what they were. I still like it better than Strays.

ant

#4 Post by ant » Tue Nov 15, 2011 10:37 am

I'm still listening to it though I generally turn it off after Splash. I cannot stand Broken People or Words..., those two tracks are so mediocre I can't stand it. I weas skipping Curiosity too but lately that one is actually growing on me. Underground, Splash, Twisted Tales and Hit You Back are all strong tracks IMHO.

Jasper

#5 Post by Jasper » Tue Nov 15, 2011 10:50 am

I haven't listened to it in at least a week - maybe two. So, I put it on right now and Underground into ETTL sounds pretty damn good. I like Underground, ETTL, I'll Hit You Back, and Curiosity Kills the best, I guess. I also like Twisted Tales, and when I'm in the mood Ultimate Reason sounds really good. I actually like Broken People, but I wish that it stayed subdued, as it becomes a bit generic when it goes into the more lively mode.

Larry B.

#6 Post by Larry B. » Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:00 am

It's only been one month? It feels like I haven't listened to it for two :noclue:

I like ETTL, most of Ultimate Reason, and bits of Curiosity Kills, but after a solid 2 weeks without listening to them, I have zero withdrawal symptoms, which is not the case with, let's say, Classic Girl, which I have to listen at least twice a week.

Warped

#7 Post by Warped » Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:57 am

Like it a lot, still. I listen to it almost every day.

Some of the lyrics do bother me especially in ETTL which i absolutely love musicwise. It' such a killer track - i love the guitar on that one.
Fave still Splash and Twisted tales as well as ETTL and Underground.

My only fear it that they won't do most of the songs live which would be a shame - what about the latest Underground performance..was it still with the backing tracks stuff? I saw some video posted on fb - not sure what it was though..

Juana

#8 Post by Juana » Tue Nov 15, 2011 2:36 pm

I listened to it the weekend before when I got it on the stereo in the house and then once with my headphones. Haven't listened to it sense then. More so because I have found other stuff that I like considerably more than TGEA and would rather focus on that instead of be negative about TGEA. Still a decent album but it's one of those "once every 6 months" type albums for me. Not terrible just not in the mood to listen to it.

leviticus

#9 Post by leviticus » Tue Nov 15, 2011 4:26 pm

taking a break. Still happy with it. There are many better albums that have come out in the last year though.

JOEinPHX

#10 Post by JOEinPHX » Tue Nov 15, 2011 5:04 pm

Just listened to Splash about 5 minutes ago actually.

I still think it's a solid album, and I still give it a 7.

JOEinPHX

#11 Post by JOEinPHX » Tue Nov 15, 2011 5:06 pm

I'd give it an 8 if there were less references to Etty.

Seriously from a guy who used to roam the streets and write about it, he is pretty much the exact opposite now. The only scenery he gets of the world is looking at his wife from the comfort of his couch, so we get 18 fucking songs about her.

Someone buy that guy a plane ticket to Australia, solo, for a month next time he thinks about writing another album. Because the constant praises and tales of how he met/banged his wife is getting really goddamn stale.

crater

#12 Post by crater » Tue Nov 15, 2011 5:22 pm

I downloaded it a day or two before it was officially released. Listened to it twice and decided it wasn't something I'd ever see myself listening to again, so I deleted it.

A couple days after deleting it, I tried to give it a third try and downloaded it again. The only thing different about the third time around listening was that I actually hated it, instead of just feeling indifferent about it.

It's electronic/synth sounding bullshit that I've never been a fan of with boring/mediocre lyrics.

IMO It's terrible. 0/10

JOEinPHX

#13 Post by JOEinPHX » Tue Nov 15, 2011 5:42 pm

crater wrote:

It's electronic/synth sounding bullshit
Are you sure it was The Great Escape Artist by Jane's Addiction that you were listening to?

There is nothing about that album that is "electronic/synth sounding"

Kajicat

#14 Post by Kajicat » Tue Nov 15, 2011 6:01 pm

Had it in my car ever since release day. Finally took it out last week or so. Good album, 7/10, but yeah there's a lot better music to listen to out there so I've definitely switched over to other stuff, and actually created a bit of a backlog of music that I'm excited to get to now since my gigantic listening session of TGEA is finished.

Like bman said, the songs are all pretty good but the major thing lacking is the song length. No epic 8 minute song. They're all pretty much 3.5 minutes or 4 minute max. More instrumental parts, and at least one long "Three Days"-style track was needed in a bad way. Lyrics-wise I'm pretty much fine with the album. Perry has changed and I'm totally fine with that. If he was still talking about whores and drugs at age 52 I'd think this guy is a creepy old man now. Musically, I really dig the spacey vibe, no doubt about it.

creep
Site Admin

#15 Post by creep » Tue Nov 15, 2011 6:02 pm

it's been filed next to my strays cd

Deconstruction

#16 Post by Deconstruction » Tue Nov 15, 2011 6:51 pm

Still like it a lot, my favorites/ranking of the songs has changed a little though.

1. Underground
2. Words Right Out Of My Mouth
3. I'll Hit You Back
4. Splash A Little Water On It
5. End to the Lies
6. Broken People
7. Twisted Tales
8. Irresistible Force
9. Curiosity Kills
10. Ultimate Reason

Splash A Little Water On it has really grown on me a lot. I've started to get annoyed with IF, Ultimate Reason is mehhh, I hate the chorus to Curiosity Kills but I like the "look away" part. The other 7 songs on the album I like a lot, even though Twisted Tales has burned out for me recently.

kv

#17 Post by kv » Tue Nov 15, 2011 7:01 pm

never bought, long since deleted all and all much happier with it this month lol

Hokahey
Site Admin

#18 Post by Hokahey » Tue Nov 15, 2011 7:19 pm

Underground alone makes the album worthwhile. It's the best thing Perry's put out since Kettle Whistle/So What. I feel bad for anyone that can't get in to that song. It's practically vintage Jane's. I'd venture a guess that you're just completely jaded if you can't dig it.

Then there's a handful of decent tracks and then some medicore to bad tracks.

I stand by my 6.5-7.

It's much, much more interesting than Strays.

a headless shell

#19 Post by a headless shell » Tue Nov 15, 2011 7:48 pm

I agree with the negativity about song length. Seems too streamlined. But on the plus side, I like the album's 80s, post-punk vibe, because I like that kind of music. Lyrics are mostly in the middle for me. I really like the intro to "Curiosity Kills" - "What I feel is different than the word 'love' / Love is for fools / What I feel isn't foolish / We don't suffer fools / We outfool them," and the lines about the picture are intriguing and remind me of "Then She Did" (maybe an intentional reference?). On the other hand, the lyrics to "Ultimate Reason" are so lazy - "I had no life, I had no love / I was a bug"!? This is the album's love song, and it's terrible. One of the reasons I love original Jane's is because they were of the few rock bands to make love songs that felt real, not saccharine and corny. In fact, I'd argue Jane's greatest songs are love songs of sorts - "Summertime Rolls," "Classic Girl," "Three Days," "Then She Did," "I Would for You." These were the emotional touchstones of their respective albums. Perry's new love cannot inspire the creative highs of his old, so the songwriting lacks the emotional power that made the classic albums classic.

guysmiley

#20 Post by guysmiley » Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:44 pm

I skip the songs almost every time they come up on my ipod. And yes, I downloading it illegally. I like parts of most of the songs, I just end up skipping them after a minute in, even if it does catch my attention. Not many jams is what I miss too. Maybe I'm just more into other stuff now? I think these guys really dropped the ball with all the breakups/reunions over the years and no new music. A good effort, but way too late for me maybe?

Bandit72

#21 Post by Bandit72 » Wed Nov 16, 2011 2:10 am

It's still in my car and has been since I got it. I am still of the opinion the start of the album is the strongest and I am still in the mindset of not comparing this to Janes 1.0

1. Curiosity Kills
2. Underground
3. Twisted Tales
4. End to the Lies
5. I'll Hit You Back
6. Irresistible Force
7. Broken People
8. Ultimate Reason
9. Splash A Little Water On It
10. Words Right Out Of My Mouth

I honestly thing Curiosity Kills is :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: Love that song.

pandarve666

#22 Post by pandarve666 » Wed Nov 16, 2011 2:59 am

I made an illegal copy on cd and it's in my car since the release, but I don't listen to it a lot. The album is mediocre in every way. This will probably the last JA album ever. A shame that it has to end this way.

I bought a 'fan' copy through the JA webshop on october 19th and I still haven't received it. When I do I will probably not listen to it once. I juist bought it for the autograpghs.

jgp

#23 Post by jgp » Wed Nov 16, 2011 6:26 am

Cut me in half and I've Jane's Addiction written through me. I'm old skool Jane's and find it difficult to accept how much they have changed (my problem of course, not theirs). Yes, TGEA is catchy for a while, but I don't feel the music ... it's just sound to me. I don't feel like It's even worth holding out for live versions of the songs hoping they will come across with more energy, substance and depth. Personally, I think TGEA rates on a par with Strays. Good luck to them though, I will always love them for what they were.

tcrock

#24 Post by tcrock » Wed Nov 16, 2011 8:39 am

not listening as frequently but still like it. When I do listen i can go from beginning through splash withut skipping anything and pretty much enjoying all of those first 8 songs....still not feeling the last 2 though.

Hokahey
Site Admin

#25 Post by Hokahey » Wed Nov 16, 2011 9:39 am

a headless shell wrote: We don't suffer fools / We outfool them
I hate this line. What the hell does that even mean?
I had no life, I had no love / I was a bug
I love this line. The vocals and the lyrics remind me of P4P era Perry.