Today's Dark Matter regarding TGEA

Discussion regarding Jane's Addiction news and associated projects
Warped

Today's Dark Matter regarding TGEA

#1 Post by Warped » Thu Nov 10, 2011 6:25 am

Besides the bullshit that has been talked about on today's DM :eyes: i thought it was weird how Dave talked about the new album. Anyone listened to it? Seems he isn't too keen on making it a subject... But shouldn't it be? Shouldn't they do more shows soon and play the new stuff? It is kind of a bummer for me. The whole promotion is pretty poor. :no:
And as you know i am really a fan of the new stuff.

:noclue:

Japhy

Re: Today's Dark Matter regarding TGEA

#2 Post by Japhy » Thu Nov 10, 2011 7:49 am

Agree with you 100%. They should be out on tour now for sure. I just take it that they're not that serious about it all... they know the corporate gigs are a given, the high $ NYE show is already booked and just enough people will turn up and make a fuss (me included) at the odd "real" show that they play. I'm sure the general criticism of the new record has stung them a touch too... that might have dampened their enthusiasm a bit.

It's just all too predictable at the moment. No way back?

creep
Site Admin

#3 Post by creep » Thu Nov 10, 2011 7:53 am

why put all the effort in to selling a record that they pretty much know that they will not make much money out of? they have the formula down now where they can make the most money by putting in the least amount of effort.

dave made an interesting comment on dark matter when he was talking about how horrible it was watching some tv show and he said "it's like listening to the great escape artist".

bman

#4 Post by bman » Thu Nov 10, 2011 8:37 am

They are touring in Feb..Dave really had nothing to say about the new album??lame.

Warped

#5 Post by Warped » Thu Nov 10, 2011 8:38 am

creep wrote:
dave made an interesting comment on dark matter when he was talking about how horrible it was watching some tv show and he said "it's like listening to the great escape artist".
That's what i meant. It was so out of place imo. He put that much effort in it and now he talks like that. Even if he isn't 100% serious about it - i thought it was :no:

Warped

#6 Post by Warped » Thu Nov 10, 2011 8:41 am

bman wrote:They are touring in Feb..Dave really had nothing to say about the new album??lame.
He said nothing positive about it, nothing. Nothing about touring, playing the new stuff live, no excitement etc. - and no one of the others like Dan or Todd did.

I am really pissed about that.

bman

#7 Post by bman » Thu Nov 10, 2011 8:57 am

That's pretty lame. In daves defense he HAS been talking about it a LOT lately doing the media circuit thing. Lets face it, they made a new record because they simply couldn't keep going on tour with just those old albums. They didn't make a new record to make millions. It's just a different world now. They are going to tour just to promote record sales. I really like the new album. I think Dave maybe just realizes that it's not going to sell. You should have called in though and asked him.

trevor ayer

#8 Post by trevor ayer » Thu Nov 10, 2011 9:06 am

i think the embarassment of performing with backing trax probably got to dave .. especially when they aren't synced up properly like on irresistable force .. stephen needs to play simple so he doesn't pound over the click track in his ear .. i think its fair to say this record may suck the last bit of life out of dave and stephen as live musicians .. back when song yet to be sung came out stephen was pissed at perry because perry just wanted him to come in and do a few drum fills and cymbal splashes .. thats when gobalee was over and perry just went totally solo .. i don't see great escape as much of an improvement .. they loop his drums and tell him to play simple lifeless beats .. dave worked his butt off to give this record texture and space and then perry crams his vocal over every nook and cranny sucking all the space out of every song .. all the songs are rediculously short and likely edited from 7 minute open spacy jams down to 3 minute pop crap songs .. all daves cool parts have perrys vocals drowning them out cuz he wont shut up on this record .. if i was dave i wouldn't want to talk about it either .. if u can't say anything nice ...

Warped

#9 Post by Warped » Thu Nov 10, 2011 9:15 am

Good points. Sad but true.

Matz

#10 Post by Matz » Thu Nov 10, 2011 9:51 am

do they sell any albums in Germany, are they on the charts at all? They didn't show up on the top 40 album chart here at all, and the funny thing is that you literally only have to sell something like 100 albums to be maybe 35 or something and that didn't happen not even in the first week.

Hokahey
Site Admin

#11 Post by Hokahey » Thu Nov 10, 2011 9:55 am

Seems like the wheels are coming off again.

Japhy

#12 Post by Japhy » Thu Nov 10, 2011 9:59 am

hokahey wrote:Seems like the wheels are coming off again.
yeah that's what i think, but then Perry's all over twitter saying that Of Course could be back in the set-list and things like that. I dunno... maybe Dave et al wanted to tour pronto but Perry has said no because of all the Lolla stuff that's going on hence waiting until Feb.

Warped

#13 Post by Warped » Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:09 am

Matz wrote:do they sell any albums in Germany, are they on the charts at all?
Yes at least 1 :lol: :lol: but they have never been that BIG here and most of my friends or neighbours or whatever don't know them anyway but i checked amazon and in October there were in the Top 60 under Alternative.

bman

#14 Post by bman » Thu Nov 10, 2011 12:06 pm

The wheels are not falling off. They have a tour, i think a World tour, planned beginning in Feb.

Jasper

#15 Post by Jasper » Thu Nov 10, 2011 1:04 pm

Warped wrote:
creep wrote:
That's what i meant. It was so out of place imo. He put that much effort in it and now he talks like that. Even if he isn't 100% serious about it - i thought it was :no:
Pretty weird comment to make. I wonder if he really dislikes it, or if this was self-deprecating humor. Maybe he liked it but it's painful to listen to now because of the lukewarm media reviews.

Fuck, Dave, remember that most of the fans like it more than Strays. I think it's got some sweet jams on it, and Dave's work is the real highlight. :noclue:

Larry B.

#16 Post by Larry B. » Thu Nov 10, 2011 1:17 pm

Jasper wrote:
Warped wrote:
creep wrote:
Pretty weird comment to make. I wonder if he really dislikes it, or if this was self-deprecating humor. Maybe he liked it but it's painful to listen to now because of the lukewarm media reviews.
I haven't heard the comment by myself, so I cannot judge the tone in which he said it... but it does something Dave could say jokingly. :noclue:

JOEinPHX

#17 Post by JOEinPHX » Thu Nov 10, 2011 1:17 pm

1. I think Dave was just talking about some of the reviews when he made the comment about the TV show. He seems pretty bummed that RollingStone "buried [them]", he has said it a few times now.

He just wants to make something people will like and he keeps getting his ass chewed up about how "it sucks" and whatnot. It's a lot of pressure trying to carry any aging frontman who can't/won't hack it anymore.

Japhy wrote: I dunno... maybe Dave et al wanted to tour pronto but Perry has said no because of all the Lolla stuff that's going on hence waiting until Feb.

THIS.

I think Perry's focus on increasing the value of Lollapalooza has been his primary focus over increasing the value of Jane's for a very very long time now. He's focusing on his second baby and totally ignoring the first. Much the same way you always see picture of him with Hezron and Izzy, but never taking Yobel out to lunch.

His priorities have shifted from artist to businessman. Which is ok for Lolla, but Jane's shouldn't and can't be run as a business or else it's going to bum out the artists who still want to make art.

Romeo

#18 Post by Romeo » Thu Nov 10, 2011 2:14 pm

man we should of done a ANR over/under!

creep
Site Admin

#19 Post by creep » Thu Nov 10, 2011 2:28 pm

Larry B. wrote:
Jasper wrote:
Warped wrote:
creep wrote:
I haven't heard the comment by myself, so I cannot judge the tone in which he said it... but it does something Dave could say jokingly. :noclue:
i'm sure he was joking (referring to the reviews). if he does feel that way i'm sure he is smart enough to keep it to himself until jane's breaks up again.

blackula

#20 Post by blackula » Thu Nov 10, 2011 2:32 pm

Romeo wrote:
man we should of done a ANR over/under!
Probability of the February tour happening?

Romeo

#21 Post by Romeo » Thu Nov 10, 2011 2:35 pm

it was probably self deprecating humor from Dave. One thing about Dave he kind of keeps any accolades towards him low key.
HE doesn't RT every single tweet he gets telling him how great he is like some people do :wink: every once in a while he will and usually with a "Thanks" attached.
Dave has a ego but it doesn't constantly need stroking.

creep
Site Admin

#22 Post by creep » Thu Nov 10, 2011 2:38 pm

Romeo wrote:it was probably self deprecating humor from Dave. One thing about Dave he kind of keeps any accolades towards him low key.
HE doesn't RT every single tweet he gets telling him how great he is like some people do :wink: every once in a while he will and usually with a "Thanks" attached.
isn't perry the worst tweeter ever? he rt's all positive tweets and tries to respond in some witty way and it just comes of extremely stupid. etty did teach him the way to rt positive tweets though i'm sure.

Romeo

#23 Post by Romeo » Thu Nov 10, 2011 2:40 pm

OH hells yea!

his tweets are the WORST! It's gotta be Jackal & Hyde :lolol:

Warped

#24 Post by Warped » Thu Nov 10, 2011 2:47 pm

:lol: Exactly. I skip over the most stupid ones.

Regarding Dave, yes i know his sense of humour but i really missed the enthusiasm about the new album, - all that what makes a band "live". It is not just another album, it is a new one after 8 years...and after a lot of work, relapse ...

Maybe he really crashed with Perry's way of handling this matter. Though he should know the guy already.

JOEinPHX

#25 Post by JOEinPHX » Thu Nov 10, 2011 6:32 pm

creep wrote:
Romeo wrote:it was probably self deprecating humor from Dave. One thing about Dave he kind of keeps any accolades towards him low key.
isn't perry the worst tweeter ever? he rt's all positive tweets and tries to respond in some witty way and it just comes of extremely stupid. etty did teach him the way to rt positive tweets though i'm sure.

Did anyone see all his tweets 4 or 5 nights ago where he kept RTing people's praises and calling them all "LIER!!!"?

It seemed like he was drunk and being a jerk.