Do YOU want Dave to release a solo record?

Discussion regarding Jane's Addiction news and associated projects
Enron

Do YOU want Dave to release a solo record?

#1 Post by Enron » Thu Nov 03, 2011 5:59 am

Hey. I'm new here, and I didn't see much dialogue on this topic. I heard Dave plans to release TGEA leftovers at some point. Although he didn't articulate when, or with whom.

Would you like Dave to release a solo record/single?
Are his best days behind him?
If he did a solo record - would you like him to record with guest vocalists on each song? (a la Slash)
How do you like his playing on TGEA?

kv

Re: Do YOU want Dave to release a solo record?

#2 Post by kv » Thu Nov 03, 2011 6:03 am

i still say rhimorse is one of the best janes side projects to date...while i didn't much care for how polished and lifeless his actual release was..i'd love to hear more solo dave

Warped

#3 Post by Warped » Thu Nov 03, 2011 6:16 am

I would definitely like him to release another solo album but i doubt it will happen any time soon. With Jane's going on tour next year (hopefully) he'll be too busy to do it. I love the music on the "behind the scenes of TGEA" videos and i hope he or they so something with it. As far as the solo record is concerned i remember him saying that if he ever releases another one he would not like to do it like Slash with other people singing and also not doing a "guitar guy record".

I love his playing on TGEA - i do not think the guitar is underplayed - it is just more melodic and less metal orientated and i totally dig the weird stuff he does like on ETTL or the solos on IF and Splash. For me he is the one that really put the most effort in the record and i love it. And i defintely do not think his best days are behind him.

Larry B.

#4 Post by Larry B. » Thu Nov 03, 2011 7:38 am

I'd love to hear new material from Dave. Hopefully, not as processed as TNO.

I'm totally in love with Rhimorse. And my second tattoo is a piece of music by Deconstruction. So yeah, the guy can come up with the greatest shit.

Regarding TGEA, I love his work in End to the Lies and Ultimate Reason.

Matz

#5 Post by Matz » Thu Nov 03, 2011 8:05 am

of course, I'd love that. I see it happen in somewhere around 2022

NYRexall

#6 Post by NYRexall » Thu Nov 03, 2011 9:59 am

If he would release the Spread album with bonus tracks, it would be MINT.

trevor ayer

#7 Post by trevor ayer » Thu Nov 03, 2011 10:42 am

NYRexall wrote:If he would release the Spread album with bonus tracks, it would be MINT.
yup just tack rhimorse on the spread sessions .. that shit was gold

Kajicat

#8 Post by Kajicat » Thu Nov 03, 2011 11:06 am

Should have been a poll.

I would have voted "yes"

Romeo

#9 Post by Romeo » Thu Nov 03, 2011 11:24 am

trevor ayer wrote:
NYRexall wrote:If he would release the Spread album with bonus tracks, it would be MINT.
yup just tack rhimorse on the spread sessions .. that shit was gold
I agree.

guysmiley

#10 Post by guysmiley » Thu Nov 03, 2011 12:04 pm

Yes, if Dave moves to New York and has a Lou Reed awakening, and drops the LA Strip crap. I do like the first round of stuff he did.

JOEinPHX

#11 Post by JOEinPHX » Thu Nov 03, 2011 1:27 pm

1. Yes, i would like to see him do a followup

BUT

2. He's been talking about sitting down and actually recording one every year for like 3-4 years now. So i doubt it will happen anytime soon. :lol:

Juana

#12 Post by Juana » Thu Nov 03, 2011 1:40 pm

I would love for that to happen as long as he got someone like Albini in there to record it and not allow him to turtle wax the shit out of the songs and just leave them as is.

JOEinPHX

#13 Post by JOEinPHX » Thu Nov 03, 2011 1:56 pm

Juana wrote:I would love for that to happen as long as he got someone like Albini in there to record it and not allow him to turtle wax the shit out of the songs and just leave them as is.
That wasn't his call. On last week's Dark Matter (while Dave was gone) Todd talked about how much Dave hates TNO because they label stepped in and forced the sound into a particular direction.

If Dave is left to make his own record, i think it will end up sounding just fine. From Rhimorse and Spread, to the instrumentals for TGEA that we heard (and even Ritual and NS where the band had full creative control), it's pretty clear that the dude can write an amazing sounding record when some label asshole doesn't poke their nose in.

guysmiley

#14 Post by guysmiley » Thu Nov 03, 2011 2:09 pm

I doubt he had that little of control. If he cared that much is would have done something. I don't really believe a solo record will happen in the next ten years. This is a guy from Jane's, come on. They work in decades for better worse, more towards the worse.

Juana

#15 Post by Juana » Thu Nov 03, 2011 2:15 pm

Six7Six7 wrote:
Juana wrote:I would love for that to happen as long as he got someone like Albini in there to record it and not allow him to turtle wax the shit out of the songs and just leave them as is.
That wasn't his call. On last week's Dark Matter (while Dave was gone) Todd talked about how much Dave hates TNO because they label stepped in and forced the sound into a particular direction.

If Dave is left to make his own record, i think it will end up sounding just fine. From Rhimorse and Spread, to the instrumentals for TGEA that we heard (and even Ritual and NS where the band had full creative control), it's pretty clear that the dude can write an amazing sounding record when some label asshole doesn't poke their nose in.
Didn't know that but I don't really listen to Dark Matter anymore either. But makes sense the problem is why would the label get involved when his manager was the head of the label? Also did they actually think it would sell? I mean come on even when Jane's was popular it wasn't like the sold alot of records.

Hokahey
Site Admin

#16 Post by Hokahey » Thu Nov 03, 2011 2:47 pm

I dunno. I hate the guitar player solo record thing. I'd like to hear him do something with Eric again, but I'm sure Perry would have a fit.

Matz

#17 Post by Matz » Thu Nov 03, 2011 2:55 pm

hokahey wrote:I dunno. I hate the guitar player solo record thing. I'd like to hear him do something with Eric again, but I'm sure Perry would have a fit.
:lol: you really think so? Dave should try that as a joke on Perry:

Hey, Perry, Eric and I have begun collaborating on some songs, a little side project of ours. Just got back from jamming in his garage, sounds great so far.

I'd love to see the reaction on Perry's face

JOEinPHX

#18 Post by JOEinPHX » Thu Nov 03, 2011 3:27 pm

Matz wrote:
hokahey wrote:I dunno. I hate the guitar player solo record thing. I'd like to hear him do something with Eric again, but I'm sure Perry would have a fit.
:lol: you really think so? Dave should try that as a joke on Perry:

Hey, Perry, Eric and I have begun collaborating on some songs, a little side project of ours. Just got back from jamming in his garage, sounds great so far.

I'd love to see the reaction on Perry's face
Probably something like this:

minus the microphone.

Artemis

#19 Post by Artemis » Thu Nov 03, 2011 3:37 pm

i think Etty would have her organizers pay Dave a visit. boxes and packing tape can be a lethal combination. :lol:

CaseyContrarian

#20 Post by CaseyContrarian » Thu Nov 03, 2011 8:41 pm

Um, then just record the fucking thing. Costs are at an all-time low. Selling music directly is easy as pie for someone with any kind of a name. Make a good album, keep expectations in check and enjoy the returns on personal expression that you're lucky enough anyone wants to pay attention to. It's simple. Plus you get to keep whatever money you make. Shit, you can even license a song or two.

Unless you're lazy, overly-cautious and entitled.

Six7Six7 wrote:

JOEinPHX

#21 Post by JOEinPHX » Thu Nov 03, 2011 10:13 pm

Or unless you're still signed to Capitol records, who likes to fucker up everything they do.

The Dandy Warhols left the label because they fucked with all their records too.
CaseyContrarian wrote:Um, then just record the fucking thing. Costs are at an all-time low. Selling music directly is easy as pie for someone with any kind of a name. Make a good album, keep expectations in check and enjoy the returns on personal expression that you're lucky enough anyone wants to pay attention to. It's simple. Plus you get to keep whatever money you make. Shit, you can even license a song or two.

Unless you're lazy, overly-cautious and entitled.

Six7Six7 wrote:

Romeo

#22 Post by Romeo » Fri Nov 04, 2011 6:10 am

guysmiley wrote:Yes, if Dave moves to New York and has a Lou Reed awakening, and drops the LA Strip crap. I do like the first round of stuff he did.
:thumb:

I absolutely think if he lived here he would definitely record a different vibe

trevor ayer

#23 Post by trevor ayer » Fri Nov 04, 2011 9:52 am

when has dave NOT had a lou reed vibe? black fingernails, rocknroll, reissue of metal machine music, the bed, venus in furs .. one thing i can say about dave is he never really embraced the la metal scene style .. no glam make up and teased hair like axl rose, altho he does like his spandex :no: I think cali suits them just fine .. i don't think the ocean would be in their music in NYC ... not that there is no ocean .. its just you are more likely to see a barge with a high rise full of nyc trash than an earth loving surfer in that ocean ..

Romeo

#24 Post by Romeo » Sat Nov 05, 2011 7:31 am

He embraces the whole Hollywood scene

That can't inspire anyone

guysmiley

#25 Post by guysmiley » Sun Nov 06, 2011 6:47 am

trevor ayer wrote:when has dave NOT had a lou reed vibe? black fingernails, rocknroll, reissue of metal machine music, the bed, venus in furs .. one thing i can say about dave is he never really embraced the la metal scene style .. no glam make up and teased hair like axl rose, altho he does like his spandex :no: I think cali suits them just fine .. i don't think the ocean would be in their music in NYC ... not that there is no ocean .. its just you are more likely to see a barge with a high rise full of nyc trash than an earth loving surfer in that ocean ..
really? he seems to have embraced it for the past 10 years at least. Plenty of eyeliner to go around.