Will the Feb 2012 tour be these 2?

Discussion regarding Jane's Addiction news and associated projects
Japhy

Re: Will the Feb 2012 tour be these 2?

#21 Post by Japhy » Thu Nov 03, 2011 6:34 am

Matz wrote:
Tyler Durden wrote:This makes me sad. Two once artistic geniuses who are pretty washed up.
I don't understand why the Pumpkins aren't still huge even though it's not the original lineup anymore. I mean they have a huge catalogue of great songs and they have a broad appeal, I wonder what went wrong. Like why are Green Day bigger than ever and the Pumpkins are playing clubs/theaters....
And on a similar theme, how are the RHCP about to sell out a 200,000 capacity show here in the UK next June?! I'm a fan, albeit a fair-weather one, but that is just insane. I don't get how they're so massively mainstream... the people that i know who are frothing to go are the same people that drop the £££'s for Coldplay, Foo Fighters, Take That, Kings of Leon etc etc. I just find it all really odd and it puts me off wanting a ticket (although £50 isn't bad for a show of that scale).

Japhy

#22 Post by Japhy » Thu Nov 03, 2011 6:40 am

CaseyContrarian wrote:NIN wiped the floor with Jane's. It saddened me tremendously. Maybe it was good you didn't stick around.
Japhy wrote:
Six7Six7 wrote:i will keep going until i walk out afterward and say "that is the worst thing i have ever seen"
Yep, this with bells on. London show end of August was excellent as a live show. So, an excellent show full of songs that i can sing along to and lose myself for an hour whilst getting dragged all over the floor from one minute to the next. Am i going to stop attending these things because sob, sob, it's not as good as 1988? No.

Would i go to a SP / JA joint show? Yes, but i wouldn't stick around / be there for the SP part, just as i left before NIN took to the stage each night in '09. That said, i would much rather it be a Janes only show.
I know what you mean mate, but they wouldn't have been the band to teach me that particular lesson - i've just never got them / him at all... and i've tried! One of my pals is a huge fan and has tried a couple of times to show me the error of my ways, but it's just never dropped for me.

Warped

#23 Post by Warped » Thu Nov 03, 2011 6:46 am

Japhy wrote:
And on a similar theme, how are the RHCP about to sell out a 200,000 capacity show here in the UK next June?! I'm a fan, albeit a fair-weather one, but that is just insane. I don't get how they're so massively mainstream... the people that i know who are frothing to go are the same people that drop the £££'s for Coldplay, Foo Fighters, Take That, Kings of Leon etc etc. I just find it all really odd and it puts me off wanting a ticket (although £50 isn't bad for a show of that scale).
RHCP are fuckin mainstream. You do not hurt or touch anybody with this music. It's for the masses. They only play the really big arenas here like soccer stadiums etc. They are radio friendly (any time i turn the radio on this horrible Raindance song comes up on commercial radio.. :no: ) Oh and they suck live. I went two times (last in 2003) to see them and it was the worst experience ever. Not only the kiddy audience and the AK wannabees :lol: but the band was terribly bad.
The only highlight was Fru doing some solo stuff inbetween.

Oh and with our without SP i will definitely go see JA next year if they tour Europe. :rockon:

Japhy

#24 Post by Japhy » Thu Nov 03, 2011 6:58 am

Warped wrote:
Japhy wrote:
The only highlight was Fru doing some solo stuff inbetween.
Funny you mention that because him not being there is one of the main reasons i won't be going to the show. I guess that proves the mainstream point as I'm sure at least half that 200k audience won't even know that there is a new guitar player on stage.

Kajicat

#25 Post by Kajicat » Thu Nov 03, 2011 11:14 am

Japhy wrote:I don't get how they're so massively mainstream... the people that i know who are frothing to go are the same people that drop the £££'s for Coldplay, Foo Fighters, Take That, Kings of Leon etc etc. I just find it all really odd and it puts me off wanting a ticket (although £50 isn't bad for a show of that scale).
Never let the fact that other people like the same music as you put you off from seeing a band you like live.
Warped wrote:Oh and they suck live. I went two times (last in 2003) to see them and it was the worst experience ever. Not only the kiddy audience and the AK wannabees :lol: but the band was terribly bad.
When I saw RHCP in '96 during the OHM tour they were phenomenal (it was the Seattle show they made into the Coffee Shop music video, too). They weren't as good at the 2006 show I saw, but still worth seeing.

Warped

#26 Post by Warped » Thu Nov 03, 2011 11:26 am

Yes, i believe that as i have lots of shows from the OHM time on dvd and they really rock. I believe that was the only time Chad could be a real drummer.

CaseyContrarian

#27 Post by CaseyContrarian » Thu Nov 03, 2011 8:58 pm

:thumb:
Warped wrote:I believe that was the only time Chad could be a real drummer.

Kajicat

#28 Post by Kajicat » Fri Nov 04, 2011 9:19 am

CaseyContrarian wrote::thumb:
Yep. It seems like he just loved playing with Dave. He was the one who was really pushing to get Dave in the band after John left, right? His intentions were just to rock the fuck out :rockon:

Matz

#29 Post by Matz » Fri Nov 04, 2011 10:36 am

Kajicat wrote:
Yep. It seems like he just loved playing with Dave. He was the one who was really pushing to get Dave in the band after John left, right? :
Really? Interesting, didn't hear anything about that. I'm sure Flea and Anthony shut it down in a second though

Jasper

#30 Post by Jasper » Fri Nov 04, 2011 10:45 am

Matz wrote:
Kajicat wrote:
Yep. It seems like he just loved playing with Dave. He was the one who was really pushing to get Dave in the band after John left, right? :
Really? Interesting, didn't hear anything about that. I'm sure Flea and Anthony shut it down in a second though
I assumed he was talking about the first time John left, rather than this most recent time. Is that right? I can't imagine that it would even be brought up, considering how much of a dick Anthony is towards Dave.

Matz

#31 Post by Matz » Fri Nov 04, 2011 11:22 am

fuck, of course , I missed the 'after John left' part somehow

Kajicat

#32 Post by Kajicat » Sun Nov 06, 2011 10:05 pm

I was definitely talking about the first time Johnny Boy left. Pretty sure getting Dave back in the band after John left the second time wasn't even brought up. Plus, Dave would have to split time between two bands. Not an option. Would be hilarious if that happened though, as Perry's reaction would be priceless.

JOEinPHX

#33 Post by JOEinPHX » Mon Nov 07, 2011 2:00 pm

Jasper wrote:
Matz wrote:
Kajicat wrote:
I assumed he was talking about the first time John left, rather than this most recent time. Is that right? I can't imagine that it would even be brought up, considering how much of a dick Anthony is towards Dave.
By "Dave", do you mean "Everyone"?

That fucking guy is a fucking asshole the likes of which the world has never seen before.

Tyler Durden

#34 Post by Tyler Durden » Mon Nov 07, 2011 2:30 pm

Six7Six7 wrote:
Jasper wrote:
Matz wrote:
Kajicat wrote:
By "Dave", do you mean "Everyone"?

That fucking guy is a fucking asshole the likes of which the world has never seen before.
:lolol: Yeah, Kiedis has always been arrogant fuck.

Kajicat

#35 Post by Kajicat » Mon Nov 07, 2011 2:48 pm

Damn I must be the most easygoing fuck ever. I have no prob with Kiedis, Weiland, or Farrell. Others just bitch and complain about these guys like they all gang raped their moms. Everyone has issues, but I don't let it bring me down when I'm trying to enjoy music or whatever the artist creates...otherwise I would never be able to watch Star Wars knowing the guy who played Chewbacca is an asshole alcoholic who beat his daughter.

Matz

#36 Post by Matz » Mon Nov 07, 2011 2:53 pm

yeah, I don't really have a problem with Kiedis either, I've never heard him say anything bad about Dave other than the usual 'he didn't fit in really, but he's a great guitar player'. There's a youtube video from 89 or something though where he deliberately kicks Frusciante really hard which was sad to see

Tyler Durden

#37 Post by Tyler Durden » Mon Nov 07, 2011 2:54 pm

Kajicat wrote:Damn I must be the most easygoing fuck ever. I have no prob with Kiedis, Weiland, or Farrell. Others just bitch and complain about these guys like they all gang raped their moms. Everyone has issues, but I don't let it bring me down when I'm trying to enjoy music or whatever the artist creates...otherwise I would never be able to watch Star Wars knowing the guy who played Chewbacca is an asshole alcoholic who beat his daughter.
I don't let it affect my music listening experience. :noclue:

I think the RHCP are still a very good band; always have been. I think Glenn Danzig can be a stubborn prick...but that doesn't change the fact that I love the music he made with The Misfits, Samhain, and Danzig; I'll love that stuff 'til the day I die. As for a band like STP, I don't like their music, first and foremost...and Weiland just happens to be a wanker. Perry is washed up sissy but the old Jane's records are still the shit. :thumb:

Kajicat

#38 Post by Kajicat » Mon Nov 07, 2011 3:06 pm

Matz wrote:There's a youtube video from 89 or something though where he deliberately kicks Frusciante really hard which was sad to see
To be clear, that was when John wanted out and was a fucking junkie. He would deliberately play chords wrong during live performances, performances that were supposed to blow the socks (no pun intended) off crowds when BSSM was just released.

The vid of AK kicking John was a Saturday Night Live performance, and if you watch the whole vid, especially the beginning, John purposefully fucks the song up by playing wrong notes and playing in the wrong key. Chad Smith wanted to "kick his ass" when John kept screwing the band up. John also wouldn't go on stage for shows sometimes and Chad wanted to threaten to kick his ass if he didn't strap on his guitar and get out there. Then of course, John left. It wasn't just AK kicking him. John was being a junkie, self-righteous asshole and everyone was fed up with it.

JOEinPHX

#39 Post by JOEinPHX » Mon Nov 07, 2011 3:08 pm

Kajicat wrote:Damn I must be the most easygoing fuck ever. I have no prob with Kiedis, Weiland, or Farrell. Others just bitch and complain about these guys like they all gang raped their moms.
Weiland is fine. I like him. Except for the whole "drinking and drugging himself into mental retardation" thing.

Perry is fine when he's not talking about champagne, Etty, or jane's being his band.

But Anthony Kiedis is one of the most arrogant interviews i have ever seen in my entire life. He seriously thinks his shitty rapping and nonsensical lyrics are the reason people listen to that band. It's just painful to watch him have his own head so far up his ass.

At least people like the Gallaghers, who think their shit is better than the Beatles, at least are humorous about it. They say it in a snotty way where you want to hit them and then buy them a pint and hang out getting drunk with them all night.

Anthony Kiedis just needs a good swift kick in the anus.

JOEinPHX

#40 Post by JOEinPHX » Mon Nov 07, 2011 3:09 pm

Kajicat wrote:
Matz wrote:There's a youtube video from 89 or something though where he deliberately kicks Frusciante really hard which was sad to see
To be clear, that was when John wanted out and was a fucking junkie. He would deliberately play chords wrong during live performances, performances that were supposed to blow the socks (no pun intended) off crowds when BSSM was just released.
Umm, NO.

He wasn't a junkie when he left. He only smoked pot at that time. He left because he was unhappy the band was so fucking huge and he just wanted to be left alone to be a shy artist in the corner somewhere.

He didn't start doing heroin till after he left the band.

Kajicat

#41 Post by Kajicat » Mon Nov 07, 2011 3:20 pm

Six7Six7 wrote:
Kajicat wrote:
Umm, NO.

He wasn't a junkie when he left. He only smoked pot at that time. He left because he was unhappy the band was so fucking huge and he just wanted to be left alone to be a shy artist in the corner somewhere.

I realize that. You're right. You jolted my memory. It wasn't until after he left the band that he got into the HARD drugs. John was just being a prick because voices in his head were telling him the fame the band had gathered was bad, so he wanted out and was practically sabotaging the band during live performances. The SNL performance where Anthony kicks John from the ground is the one I was talking about, I've never seen the '89 kick that Matz is talking about.

BTW I really liked your "Umm, NO." :lol: Can never get enough of seeing that on the interwebs :lolol:

JOEinPHX

#42 Post by JOEinPHX » Mon Nov 07, 2011 3:36 pm

Kajicat wrote:
Six7Six7 wrote:
Kajicat wrote:
Umm, NO.

I realize that. You're right. You jolted my memory. It wasn't until after he left the band that he got into the HARD drugs. John was just being a prick because voices in his head were telling him the fame the band had gathered was bad, so he wanted out and was practically sabotaging the band during live performances. The SNL performance where Anthony kicks John from the ground is the one I was talking about, I've never seen the '89 kick that Matz is talking about.

BTW I really liked your "Umm, NO." :lol: Can never get enough of seeing that on the interwebs :lolol:
It wasn't meant to be interwebby. I type the way I talk. haha

NYRexall

#43 Post by NYRexall » Mon Nov 07, 2011 3:42 pm

I'd be down for a Jane's and the Pumpkins tour. At the very least, they'd be trying to upstage each other with their massive egos and the fans might get a decent experience out of the whole thing.

I'm interested to see how much the Gish and Siamese Dream re-issues will outsell the Oceania album by. That will be a huge slap in the face to Billy, if a fuckload of people buy his old stuff reissued and then ignore his new stuff entirely. Why doesn't he just release Oceania early as some kind of "deluxe" package with the two reissues for the holidays? People might actually be tempted to listen to his new stuff when they were done listening to his old stuff.

Kajicat

#44 Post by Kajicat » Mon Nov 07, 2011 4:14 pm

Six7Six7 wrote:
Kajicat wrote:
Six7Six7 wrote:
Kajicat wrote:
Umm, NO.

It wasn't meant to be interwebby. I type the way I talk. haha
oh shit that's even better then :lolol: :lolol: :lolol:

Matz

#45 Post by Matz » Mon Nov 07, 2011 5:05 pm

Kajicat wrote:
Six7Six7 wrote:
Kajicat wrote:
Umm, NO.

there is no 89 kick then, cause we must be talking about the same thing here. I was just certain it was during a Mother's milk song it happened.