Will the Feb 2012 tour be these 2?

Discussion regarding Jane's Addiction news and associated projects
bman

Will the Feb 2012 tour be these 2?

#1 Post by bman » Tue Nov 01, 2011 10:47 am

Kajicat

Re: Will the Feb 2012 tour be these 2?

#2 Post by Kajicat » Tue Nov 01, 2011 11:14 am

I see Corgan has returned to his chubby state. Must be his winter coat.

LJF

#3 Post by LJF » Tue Nov 01, 2011 11:30 am

so who has the bigger ego? Why wait until 2012 to tour for an album that came out in Oct 2011. I guess it takes the boys a long time to get the 2-3 new songs that they will play live to sound good.

Matz

#4 Post by Matz » Tue Nov 01, 2011 11:32 am

Billy's probably lying about how he thinks TGEA is a really good album and that they're back in that space. He was in a similar situation once when he was interviewing Eddie Van Halen and had to come up with some positive things to say about their then latest album Balance, an album that completely sucks. Poor guy

Warped

#5 Post by Warped » Tue Nov 01, 2011 11:43 am

Mmh don't know, i think Billy has at least a high opinion of Dave.

I really hope they tour Europe next year like in 2003 with small club/theater shows. My hubby already promised me to finance that trip etc... :hehe: :thumb:
I am not keen on going to festivals and also too old for shit like that.

Tyler Durden

#6 Post by Tyler Durden » Wed Nov 02, 2011 8:11 am

This makes me sad. Two once artistic geniuses who are pretty washed up.

Hokahey
Site Admin

#7 Post by Hokahey » Wed Nov 02, 2011 8:35 am

At least Perry had the good graces to call it Jane's with only one new member. He didn't try to sell Satellite Party as Jane's which is what Corgan is basically doing with the Pumpkins. Yes Perry played Jane's songs but at least he left the name out of it.

trevor ayer

#8 Post by trevor ayer » Wed Nov 02, 2011 10:47 am

ah reminiscing the admirable qualities of satelite party so soon? .. can i say 'i told u so' yet?

Matz

#9 Post by Matz » Wed Nov 02, 2011 11:07 am

Tyler Durden wrote:This makes me sad. Two once artistic geniuses who are pretty washed up.
I don't understand why the Pumpkins aren't still huge even though it's not the original lineup anymore. I mean they have a huge catalogue of great songs and they have a broad appeal, I wonder what went wrong. Like why are Green Day bigger than ever and the Pumpkins are playing clubs/theaters....

Larry B.

#10 Post by Larry B. » Wed Nov 02, 2011 11:49 am

Green Day is bigger than ever because they managed to capture two generations of teenagers by releasing "big" albums in the appropriate time (Dookie and American Idiot, respectively) and by making the right fashion and marketing decisions. I loved them when I was 15-16 and I went to their first show in Chile (nimrod Tour, 1998), when they played for like 5,000 people, all between 12 and 20 years old. They came back last year and played in a packed stadium, around 65,000 people, all between 10 and 35 years old, plus the parents of those 10 year olds.

Pure Method

#11 Post by Pure Method » Wed Nov 02, 2011 12:12 pm

hokahey wrote:At least Perry had the good graces to call it Jane's with only one new member. He didn't try to sell Satellite Party as Jane's which is what Corgan is basically doing with the Pumpkins. Yes Perry played Jane's songs but at least he left the name out of it.

I'm tired of having to say "At least Perry..."

I'm just fed up. He made an album about internet trolls? "At least he didn't make an album about raping children."

He has no voice anymore? "At least he wasn't wearing a tail at the show."

:jasper:

JOEinPHX

#12 Post by JOEinPHX » Wed Nov 02, 2011 4:48 pm

Billy Corgan: Hey Perry, are you guys able to draw very many people to your shows?
Perry: Not really man, I can't figure out why either. We toured our best 10 songs for 25 years.
Billy Corgan: Well maybe if we team up we can do a little better
Perry: Awesome. Jane's is headlining. We're gonna call it SPJA. I came up with the idea myself, so i get 90% of the profits.
Billy Corgan: *sigh* i'll go dust off my ZERO shirt.
Perry: Well not so fast, i need like 4 months for my album to cool off and drop down the charts so we have nothing new to tour for.

jptm

#13 Post by jptm » Wed Nov 02, 2011 6:39 pm

Six7Six7 wrote:Perry: Well not so fast, i need like 4 months for my album to cool off and drop down the charts so we have nothing new to tour for.
and this is why it might not happen---a whole tour costs $$$, who's gonna put up the cash then, in feb.?

perry/etty will probably be busy by then filming their new 'reality' show.

CaseyContrarian

#14 Post by CaseyContrarian » Wed Nov 02, 2011 6:49 pm

:thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
Pure Method wrote:
hokahey wrote:At least Perry had the good graces to call it Jane's with only one new member. He didn't try to sell Satellite Party as Jane's which is what Corgan is basically doing with the Pumpkins. Yes Perry played Jane's songs but at least he left the name out of it.

I'm tired of having to say "At least Perry..."

I'm just fed up. He made an album about internet trolls? "At least he didn't make an album about raping children."

He has no voice anymore? "At least he wasn't wearing a tail at the show."

:jasper:

Tyler Durden

#15 Post by Tyler Durden » Wed Nov 02, 2011 6:51 pm

Frankly, I really don't care if "Jane's Addiction" tours. Most of TGEA songs are (evidently) difficult to replicate live and seeing/hearing Mountain Song or Ain't No right for the millionth time isn't enticing. Perry's voice is shot and Chaney is drying paint.

I guess I am just really done with this band...unless Rhino were to release remasters and Gift.

JOEinPHX

#16 Post by JOEinPHX » Wed Nov 02, 2011 8:20 pm

i will keep going until i walk out afterward and say "that is the worst thing i have ever seen" like i did when i caught Black Sabbath's 2000 "reunion/going away tour" or when Radiohead headlined Lollapalooza

Kajicat

#17 Post by Kajicat » Wed Nov 02, 2011 8:30 pm

Tyler Durden wrote:This makes me sad. Two once artistic geniuses who are pretty washed up.
Doesn't make me sad really...I mean everyone runs out of gas at some point. Artist's creative juices run dry after some years. I'm just happy for the great stuff they gave us when they were running on all cylinders.

Juana

#18 Post by Juana » Wed Nov 02, 2011 9:08 pm

Well if they turned together as husks of what they once were I would go see them in Austin, hopefully for free but if not I guess I would pay

Japhy

#19 Post by Japhy » Thu Nov 03, 2011 6:26 am

Six7Six7 wrote:i will keep going until i walk out afterward and say "that is the worst thing i have ever seen"
Yep, this with bells on. London show end of August was excellent as a live show. So, an excellent show full of songs that i can sing along to and lose myself for an hour whilst getting dragged all over the floor from one minute to the next. Am i going to stop attending these things because sob, sob, it's not as good as 1988? No.

Would i go to a SP / JA joint show? Yes, but i wouldn't stick around / be there for the SP part, just as i left before NIN took to the stage each night in '09. That said, i would much rather it be a Janes only show.

CaseyContrarian

#20 Post by CaseyContrarian » Thu Nov 03, 2011 6:32 am

NIN wiped the floor with Jane's. It saddened me tremendously. Maybe it was good you didn't stick around.
Japhy wrote:
Six7Six7 wrote:i will keep going until i walk out afterward and say "that is the worst thing i have ever seen"
Yep, this with bells on. London show end of August was excellent as a live show. So, an excellent show full of songs that i can sing along to and lose myself for an hour whilst getting dragged all over the floor from one minute to the next. Am i going to stop attending these things because sob, sob, it's not as good as 1988? No.

Would i go to a SP / JA joint show? Yes, but i wouldn't stick around / be there for the SP part, just as i left before NIN took to the stage each night in '09. That said, i would much rather it be a Janes only show.

Japhy

#21 Post by Japhy » Thu Nov 03, 2011 6:34 am

Matz wrote:
I don't understand why the Pumpkins aren't still huge even though it's not the original lineup anymore. I mean they have a huge catalogue of great songs and they have a broad appeal, I wonder what went wrong. Like why are Green Day bigger than ever and the Pumpkins are playing clubs/theaters....
And on a similar theme, how are the RHCP about to sell out a 200,000 capacity show here in the UK next June?! I'm a fan, albeit a fair-weather one, but that is just insane. I don't get how they're so massively mainstream... the people that i know who are frothing to go are the same people that drop the £££'s for Coldplay, Foo Fighters, Take That, Kings of Leon etc etc. I just find it all really odd and it puts me off wanting a ticket (although £50 isn't bad for a show of that scale).

Japhy

#22 Post by Japhy » Thu Nov 03, 2011 6:40 am

CaseyContrarian wrote:NIN wiped the floor with Jane's. It saddened me tremendously. Maybe it was good you didn't stick around.
Japhy wrote:

I know what you mean mate, but they wouldn't have been the band to teach me that particular lesson - i've just never got them / him at all... and i've tried! One of my pals is a huge fan and has tried a couple of times to show me the error of my ways, but it's just never dropped for me.

Warped

#23 Post by Warped » Thu Nov 03, 2011 6:46 am

Japhy wrote:
And on a similar theme, how are the RHCP about to sell out a 200,000 capacity show here in the UK next June?! I'm a fan, albeit a fair-weather one, but that is just insane. I don't get how they're so massively mainstream... the people that i know who are frothing to go are the same people that drop the £££'s for Coldplay, Foo Fighters, Take That, Kings of Leon etc etc. I just find it all really odd and it puts me off wanting a ticket (although £50 isn't bad for a show of that scale).
RHCP are fuckin mainstream. You do not hurt or touch anybody with this music. It's for the masses. They only play the really big arenas here like soccer stadiums etc. They are radio friendly (any time i turn the radio on this horrible Raindance song comes up on commercial radio.. :no: ) Oh and they suck live. I went two times (last in 2003) to see them and it was the worst experience ever. Not only the kiddy audience and the AK wannabees :lol: but the band was terribly bad.
The only highlight was Fru doing some solo stuff inbetween.

Oh and with our without SP i will definitely go see JA next year if they tour Europe. :rockon:

Japhy

#24 Post by Japhy » Thu Nov 03, 2011 6:58 am

Warped wrote:
Japhy wrote:
The only highlight was Fru doing some solo stuff inbetween.
Funny you mention that because him not being there is one of the main reasons i won't be going to the show. I guess that proves the mainstream point as I'm sure at least half that 200k audience won't even know that there is a new guitar player on stage.

Kajicat

#25 Post by Kajicat » Thu Nov 03, 2011 11:14 am

Japhy wrote:I don't get how they're so massively mainstream... the people that i know who are frothing to go are the same people that drop the £££'s for Coldplay, Foo Fighters, Take That, Kings of Leon etc etc. I just find it all really odd and it puts me off wanting a ticket (although £50 isn't bad for a show of that scale).
Never let the fact that other people like the same music as you put you off from seeing a band you like live.
Warped wrote:Oh and they suck live. I went two times (last in 2003) to see them and it was the worst experience ever. Not only the kiddy audience and the AK wannabees :lol: but the band was terribly bad.
When I saw RHCP in '96 during the OHM tour they were phenomenal (it was the Seattle show they made into the Coffee Shop music video, too). They weren't as good at the 2006 show I saw, but still worth seeing.