Did Eric Avery ever exist or was it all a dream?

Discussion regarding Jane's Addiction news and associated projects
Tyler Durden

Re: Did Eric Avery ever exist or was it all a dream?

#21 Post by Tyler Durden » Tue Oct 25, 2011 2:54 pm

tcrock wrote:
Tyler Durden wrote:
tcrock wrote:
Tyler Durden wrote:
Six7Six7 wrote:Eric's power is over the sale of those songs for commercial purposes.

But i don't think they need his permission to play the songs live. Not sure what the deal is with live albums though. He could probably block something like that, but i doubt he would. He gets paid afterall.
Eric doesn't have veto power over what songs the band performs live. And if he did pull something like that, I'd be disappointed in him. He seems above that kind of thing. Two wrongs don't make a right. Well, actually...in this case, it might. :lol:

he doesn't seem above anything after those sonny interviews, he's just a regular guy with flaws, just like the rest of em.
If you as genuinely offended by that Sonny interview as you sound, I can't help you.

I don't need your help :wink: not offended at all, not at all sure where you got that....just obvious the guy has human emotions, and they were evident in his answers.....he doesn't seem to me to be this robot who lives by such a strict code of morals and integrity that some of you like to make him out to be, ya know so "above that type of thing". what I saw was a guy that was a little hurt and/or pissed and looking to vent a little to a sympathetic audience, human nature.
I agree. And it was to be expected. It was a normal reaction. But to say that Eric would veto them playing old songs if he could is another story. It just doesn't seem like something he would do.

Pandemonium

#22 Post by Pandemonium » Tue Oct 25, 2011 4:28 pm

tcrock wrote:just obvious the guy has human emotions, and they were evident in his answers.....he (Eric) doesn't seem to me to be this robot who lives by such a strict code of morals and integrity that some of you like to make him out to be, ya know so "above that type of thing". what I saw was a guy that was a little hurt and/or pissed and looking to vent a little to a sympathetic audience, human nature.
Nobody is implying Eric lives under any sort of strict moral code or whatever. He does seem to have a more honest, straightforward view of his time in the band and how the other guys relate than Perk, Dave and especially Perry. Much of which has been backed up by other insider accounts including Dave. If you want to criticize Eric, slam him for agreeing to do the NINJA tour and Festival dates even though it was already clear that it wasn't going to work between him and Perry when the Reznor sessions fell apart - something Eric himself lamented in the Sonny interview.

Kajicat

#23 Post by Kajicat » Tue Oct 25, 2011 4:51 pm

creep wrote:no wonder they cut him out with that ugly striped shirt on.

i wonder who makes the decision to cut him out?
Looks like Eric borrowed Dave's striped shirt for the photo! As for who made the decision to cut him out...I dunno could be Perry, could be the webmaster of their Facebook page...who knows.

I don't really care that they cut him out. Kinda sucks for Eric I guess, if he even cares which I highly doubt he would...but it's not like you're going to see Eric playing at the next Jane's show you go to, or hear him on "Broken People", which was the lyric quote that picture went with on Facebook. But then again why use an old photo then? So many questions which never will be answered... :blah:

JOEinPHX

#24 Post by JOEinPHX » Tue Oct 25, 2011 5:21 pm

Pandemonium wrote: If you want to criticize Eric, slam him for agreeing to do the NINJA tour and Festival dates even though it was already clear that it wasn't going to work between him and Perry when the Reznor sessions fell apart - something Eric himself lamented in the Sonny interview.
i don't think he realized Perry was going to ruin things as bad as he did though.

Even Trent has shit talked the way the Jane's business was handled. He wanted to do a big combo set featuring members of both bands, before Jane's went on, and Perry vetoed it.

Kind of bullshit that Trent graciously have a much smaller band the headlining slot on his own farewell tour, and then that band turned around and told him to fuck off with his creative ideas for the tour.

What a dick move. Probably after the contracts had already been signed too.

tcrock

#25 Post by tcrock » Wed Oct 26, 2011 2:15 pm

Pandemonium wrote:
tcrock wrote:just obvious the guy has human emotions, and they were evident in his answers.....he (Eric) doesn't seem to me to be this robot who lives by such a strict code of morals and integrity that some of you like to make him out to be, ya know so "above that type of thing". what I saw was a guy that was a little hurt and/or pissed and looking to vent a little to a sympathetic audience, human nature.
Nobody is implying Eric lives under any sort of strict moral code or whatever. He does seem to have a more honest, straightforward view of his time in the band and how the other guys relate than Perk, Dave and especially Perry. Much of which has been backed up by other insider accounts including Dave. If you want to criticize Eric, slam him for agreeing to do the NINJA tour and Festival dates even though it was already clear that it wasn't going to work between him and Perry when the Reznor sessions fell apart - something Eric himself lamented in the Sonny interview.

i don't want to criticize him for anything really......I think I may have taken tyler's comments out of context a tad as I think he was referring to the song veto issue specifically, which i agree, eric wouldn't do... but it just makes me a little nuts sometimes when people say things like they believe Eric is above this or that because it seems like a very common refrain. The old cliche there are 2 sides to every story and the truth is in the middle somewhere applies here at least to me. I think far too many took Eric's side as gospel and ran with it, I also believe that too many vilify Perry at every turn, and don't give enough credit to Dave and Perkins for being their own men.

but :banghead:

this has all been covered ......it's just too quiet around here when no one is arguing :bigrin:

JOEinPHX

#26 Post by JOEinPHX » Wed Oct 26, 2011 2:21 pm

i think "the story laying somewhere in the middle" would be accurate if it didn't actually turn out that things Eric said were true.

Like when he said Perry just wanted the band to work on Satellite Party songs that Perry had already written, and then magically Underground ends up on the new album. That's just 1 instance of him telling the truth, and even gave the band 2 years to record something else to prove him wrong. And they didn't.

And Trent has even said in interviews how unwilling Perry was on the NINJA tour to deviate from his own plan.

I really doubt a bunch of people are just teaming up and coming up with lies to spread about Perry just for the sake of doing so. His behavior is his behavior. And Eric merely stated how Perry was behaving. It's not like he took any words out of context.

ThenSheDid

#27 Post by ThenSheDid » Wed Oct 26, 2011 3:27 pm

blackula wrote:Perry's going to get the bass player from Faith No More to re-record Eric's bass parts on xxx, NS, and RDLH.
damn good bass player...one of les claypool's favorites.

trevor ayer

#28 Post by trevor ayer » Wed Oct 26, 2011 8:36 pm

Kajicat wrote:Image

it was all a dream i used to read scream magazine perry farrell janes addiction all up in the la scene now he's in the lime light eric's just a hindsight perry's gotta get paid if perry wants to get laid and if u don't know now u know fellas

esqfool

#29 Post by esqfool » Wed Oct 26, 2011 11:05 pm

Brilliance! I even thought of that song when I read the thread title. A good laugh before I go pass out.

Hokahey
Site Admin

#30 Post by Hokahey » Thu Oct 27, 2011 7:23 am

Six7Six7 wrote: Like when he said Perry just wanted the band to work on Satellite Party songs that Perry had already written, and then magically Underground ends up on the new album.
Ironic that it's the best song on the album. Which is why it's funny when Sonny said this is just Perry forcing his dance music on Jane's when describing TGEA while acknowledging this is a good song. As far as we know this was the only "dance" song he forced on them. Whatever the recipe for Underground was it's amazing.

JOEinPHX

#31 Post by JOEinPHX » Thu Oct 27, 2011 9:33 am

hokahey wrote:
Six7Six7 wrote: Like when he said Perry just wanted the band to work on Satellite Party songs that Perry had already written, and then magically Underground ends up on the new album.
Ironic that it's the best song on the album. Which is why it's funny when Sonny said this is just Perry forcing his dance music on Jane's when describing TGEA while acknowledging this is a good song. As far as we know this was the only "dance" song he forced on them. Whatever the recipe for Underground was it's amazing.
i think the only recipe was that it was something Perry actually spent more than 5 minutes on.

Plus it's not a song about his wife or kids. And that's not even a slam to his wife or kids. Anytime ANY musician or comedian starts writing about their wife/kids, the art goes to shit.

jptm

#32 Post by jptm » Thu Oct 27, 2011 9:48 am

Anytime ANY musician or comedian starts writing about their wife/kids, the art goes to shit.
i think louis CK's stuff on his kids & *ex* wife are his funniest stuff... so, not really.

Kajicat

#33 Post by Kajicat » Thu Oct 27, 2011 10:20 am

hokahey wrote:
Too true...too true. I really want Sonny to comment on this.

JOEinPHX

#34 Post by JOEinPHX » Thu Oct 27, 2011 11:14 am

jptm wrote:
Anytime ANY musician or comedian starts writing about their wife/kids, the art goes to shit.
i think louis CK's stuff on his kids & *ex* wife are his funniest stuff... so, not really.
He's a different case though.

He's not saying "oh my daughters are so cute, i love them so much. they make me so happy"

Louie says shit like "my kid is a fucking asshole"

Most musicians and comedians pay tribute to their families. Louie rips his to shreds.

Hokahey
Site Admin

#35 Post by Hokahey » Fri Oct 28, 2011 8:31 am

I like TGEA. I couldn't care less if Perry writes songs for his wife and kids so long as they're good. And I think these are for the most part. I certainly wouldn't say it's "shit."

Tyler Durden

#36 Post by Tyler Durden » Fri Oct 28, 2011 8:58 am

hokahey wrote:I like TGEA. I couldn't care less if Perry writes songs for his wife and kids so long as they're good. And I think these are for the most part. I certainly wouldn't say it's "shit."
Yeah, it's definitely not shit. I think it's a decent album. It's just not Jane's Addiction to me. I still wish they had changed their name or something.

Hokahey
Site Admin

#37 Post by Hokahey » Fri Oct 28, 2011 9:39 am

I'm just happy that an album I'm enjoying right now has the Jane's name on it. Every couple of months or so I find a new album I dig on and play it to death on my headphones while I'm working for weeks on end until I find the next album. This is that album for me right now, and it happens to be a Jane's record. :cool:

Warped

#38 Post by Warped » Fri Oct 28, 2011 10:50 am

Yeah, same here. I really like the new album and i listen to it several times per day. And it's a whole different experience via headphones. :thumb:

NYRexall

#39 Post by NYRexall » Sat Oct 29, 2011 7:39 am

Larry B. wrote:Shit, that is disgusting. Shame on you, fucking Perry and whomever did that.
Tyler Durden wrote: Perry is turning into George Lucas. Can't wait to see Etty's head(s) matted on the siamese twins on the Nothing's Shocking album cover.
Don't give him any ideas, for fucks sake! Etty already impersonates one of the twins when performing live! :balls:

I kinda wish Eric and/or his management would be a little more douchebaggy and start legal proceedings to, for instance, not allow Jane's Addiction to play songs he was involved in. He did mention in the Xiola interview that he has/had the power to do it, as per some contract.

Like... "you want me out? OK, be my guest. Let me just take some of the stuff I lent you for the last 20 years."
Eric has always been straightforward when asked about the band's history and subsequent problems. He doesn't need to start "legal proceedings" or veto songs he had a hand in writing from being performed. Eric knows JA's audience is smart enough to know what's really Jane's and what's just a quick cash-in. If Perry really thought Jane's could survive without Eric's legacy, he'd stop playing the songs Eric helped create that have become classics. He'd write more than one album every eight years and the new songs would stand up to the songs they wrote when Eric was in the band.

But nobody is forgetting that Jane's 1.0 was a very different beast than what Jane's is today. That's why every article about them has to mention that Eric bailed multiple times in the band's history. That's why they need other notable bass players to help them write new material.

Perry just digs his grave deeper when he has his webmaster crop Eric out of old photos. Eric was essential to Jane's working at full strength and Perry can't and won't get over that.

Tyler Durden

#40 Post by Tyler Durden » Sat Oct 29, 2011 9:31 am

NYRexall wrote:
Larry B. wrote:Shit, that is disgusting. Shame on you, fucking Perry and whomever did that.
Tyler Durden wrote: Perry is turning into George Lucas. Can't wait to see Etty's head(s) matted on the siamese twins on the Nothing's Shocking album cover.
Don't give him any ideas, for fucks sake! Etty already impersonates one of the twins when performing live! :balls:

I kinda wish Eric and/or his management would be a little more douchebaggy and start legal proceedings to, for instance, not allow Jane's Addiction to play songs he was involved in. He did mention in the Xiola interview that he has/had the power to do it, as per some contract.

Like... "you want me out? OK, be my guest. Let me just take some of the stuff I lent you for the last 20 years."
Eric has always been straightforward when asked about the band's history and subsequent problems. He doesn't need to start "legal proceedings" or veto songs he had a hand in writing from being performed. Eric knows JA's audience is smart enough to know what's really Jane's and what's just a quick cash-in. If Perry really thought Jane's could survive without Eric's legacy, he'd stop playing the songs Eric helped create that have become classics. He'd write more than one album every eight years and the new songs would stand up to the songs they wrote when Eric was in the band.

But nobody is forgetting that Jane's 1.0 was a very different beast than what Jane's is today. That's why every article about them has to mention that Eric bailed multiple times in the band's history. That's why they need other notable bass players to help them write new material.

Perry just digs his grave deeper when he has his webmaster crop Eric out of old photos. Eric was essential to Jane's working at full strength and Perry can't and won't get over that.
End to the lies, my friend. End to the lies!

Hokahey
Site Admin

#41 Post by Hokahey » Sat Oct 29, 2011 10:09 am

This doesn't make me all that angry. Eric left. He gets left out of pictures as a result. Would I do it? No. But I can see where they're coming from.

Kajicat

#42 Post by Kajicat » Sat Oct 29, 2011 10:12 am

hokahey wrote:This doesn't make me all that angry. Eric left. He gets left out of pictures as a result. Would I do it? No. But I can see where they're coming from.
True. The pic was posted with the main topic being about "Broken People". Anyone listening to that song won't be hearing any Avery, and anyone who goes to a current show won't be seeing Avery. In the end, they should have just used a more recent picture so they didn't have to crop anything out at all (although Chaney would possibly get cropped out :lol: )

Tyler Durden

#43 Post by Tyler Durden » Sat Oct 29, 2011 10:23 am

If R.E.M. was promoting their new single on Facebook, they wouldn't use a photo from 1990 and crop Bill Berry out of it. :idea:

Of course, Berry's departure was on amicable terms. It's obvious that Perry, the band, or PR people are trying make some sort of statement. But still, how long is Perry going to do this for? It seems juvenile to me. If you look up butthurt in the dictionary, you'll find Perry's pic.

kv

#44 Post by kv » Sat Oct 29, 2011 10:27 am

hokahey wrote:This doesn't make me all that angry. Eric left. He gets left out of pictures as a result. Would I do it? No. But I can see where they're coming from.
then again with the cards just winning it all nothing could make you angry today :hehe:

NYRexall

#45 Post by NYRexall » Sun Oct 30, 2011 8:27 am

Tyler Durden wrote:If R.E.M. was promoting their new single on Facebook, they wouldn't use a photo from 1990 and crop Bill Berry out of it. :idea:

Of course, Berry's departure was on amicable terms. It's obvious that Perry, the band, or PR people are trying make some sort of statement. But still, how long is Perry going to do this for? It seems juvenile to me. If you look up butthurt in the dictionary, you'll find Perry's pic.
No, you'd find the definition of "butthurt"

which is exactly what Perry is.