Did Eric Avery ever exist or was it all a dream?

Discussion regarding Jane's Addiction news and associated projects
Tyler Durden

Did Eric Avery ever exist or was it all a dream?

#1 Post by Tyler Durden » Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:57 am

From Jane's Addiction's Facebook page:

:no:

If this band wants to rewrite their history by erasing Eric from it, maybe they should grow some balls and stop playing songs that Eric helped write. Oh yeah, I forgot...then no one would show up at their gigs. Well, besides Mike.

tcrock

Re: Did Eric Avery ever exist or was it all a dream?

#2 Post by tcrock » Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:07 am

he did quit right?

Tyler Durden

#3 Post by Tyler Durden » Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:13 am

tcrock wrote:he did quit right?
So if someone quits a band, he/she gets cropped out of all old promo photos? :confused:

Perry is turning into George Lucas. Can't wait to see Etty's head(s) matted on the siamese twins on the Nothing's Shocking album cover.

Larry B.

#4 Post by Larry B. » Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:17 am

Shit, that is disgusting. Shame on you, fucking Perry and whomever did that.
Tyler Durden wrote: Perry is turning into George Lucas. Can't wait to see Etty's head(s) matted on the siamese twins on the Nothing's Shocking album cover.
Don't give him any ideas, for fucks sake! Etty already impersonates one of the twins when performing live! :balls:

I kinda wish Eric and/or his management would be a little more douchebaggy and start legal proceedings to, for instance, not allow Jane's Addiction to play songs he was involved in. He did mention in the Xiola interview that he has/had the power to do it, as per some contract.

Like... "you want me out? OK, be my guest. Let me just take some of the stuff I lent you for the last 20 years."

JOEinPHX

#5 Post by JOEinPHX » Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:37 am

Eric's power is over the sale of those songs for commercial purposes.

But i don't think they need his permission to play the songs live. Not sure what the deal is with live albums though. He could probably block something like that, but i doubt he would. He gets paid afterall.

Larry B.

#6 Post by Larry B. » Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:41 am

Six7Six7 wrote:Eric's power is over the sale of those songs for commercial purposes.
Uh, yeah, I think you're right... :sad:

Tyler Durden

#7 Post by Tyler Durden » Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:43 am

Six7Six7 wrote:Eric's power is over the sale of those songs for commercial purposes.

But i don't think they need his permission to play the songs live. Not sure what the deal is with live albums though. He could probably block something like that, but i doubt he would. He gets paid afterall.
Eric doesn't have veto power over what songs the band performs live. And if he did pull something like that, I'd be disappointed in him. He seems above that kind of thing. Two wrongs don't make a right. Well, actually...in this case, it might. :lol:

blackula

#8 Post by blackula » Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:13 am

Perry's going to get the bass player from Faith No More to re-record Eric's bass parts on xxx, NS, and RDLH.

Kajicat

#9 Post by Kajicat » Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:23 am

Warped

#10 Post by Warped » Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:29 am

Oh come on, they have lots of photos on the facebook page with Eric in it. Seems like someone wants to stir up some shit here.
Ask Dave and Stephen and also Perry this question...Eric left the band, they move on, so what. Does that mean they all want to forget him, deny him or what? By posting a pic like that? :eyes:
I am not defending that they (or whoever) cut him out of the pic but i don't think it's such a big deal either. And i am sure Eric gives a shit about it - as well as if they play HIS songs live or not...

tcrock

#11 Post by tcrock » Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:31 am

Tyler Durden wrote:

Eric doesn't have veto power over what songs the band performs live. And if he did pull something like that, I'd be disappointed in him. He seems above that kind of thing. Two wrongs don't make a right. Well, actually...in this case, it might. :lol:

he doesn't seem above anything after those sonny interviews, he's just a regular guy with flaws, just like the rest of em.

Kajicat

#12 Post by Kajicat » Tue Oct 25, 2011 12:31 pm

tcrock wrote:
Tyler Durden wrote:

he doesn't seem above anything after those sonny interviews, he's just a regular guy with flaws, just like the rest of em.
YOU DON'T SAY THAT ON THIS BORED. YOU JUST DON'T. :wink:

Tyler Durden

#13 Post by Tyler Durden » Tue Oct 25, 2011 1:35 pm

Warped wrote:Oh come on, they have lots of photos on the facebook page with Eric in it. Seems like someone wants to stir up some shit here.
Ask Dave and Stephen and also Perry this question...Eric left the band, they move on, so what. Does that mean they all want to forget him, deny him or what? By posting a pic like that? :eyes:
I am not defending that they (or whoever) cut him out of the pic but i don't think it's such a big deal either. And i am sure Eric gives a shit about it - as well as if they play HIS songs live or not...
Why not just post a current pic of the band then? Why go to the effort of posting a pic of the band from 21 years ago and crop Eric out of it? Seems pretty petty to me.

Tyler Durden

#14 Post by Tyler Durden » Tue Oct 25, 2011 1:36 pm

tcrock wrote:
Tyler Durden wrote:

If you as genuinely offended by that Sonny interview as you sound, I can't help you.

creep
Site Admin

#15 Post by creep » Tue Oct 25, 2011 1:54 pm

Tyler Durden wrote:
Warped wrote:Oh come on, they have lots of photos on the facebook page with Eric in it. Seems like someone wants to stir up some shit here.
Why not just post a current pic of the band then? Why go to the effort of posting a pic of the band from 21 years ago and crop Eric out of it? Seems pretty petty to me.
does anyone have the original? maybe eric wasn't in it?

Tyler Durden

#16 Post by Tyler Durden » Tue Oct 25, 2011 1:58 pm

creep wrote:
Tyler Durden wrote:
does anyone have the original? maybe eric wasn't in it?

creep
Site Admin

#17 Post by creep » Tue Oct 25, 2011 1:59 pm

no wonder they cut him out with that ugly striped shirt on.

i wonder who makes the decision to cut him out?

Pandemonium

#18 Post by Pandemonium » Tue Oct 25, 2011 2:42 pm

Hardly surprising when you consider who's running the show.

Not nearly as offensive (to fans) as when Eddie Van Halen had the web master of the band's site photoshop Eddie's then-16 year old son (who wasn't even born when the album was recorded) onto the original debut album's cover art in the site's discography section in place of original bass player Michael Anthony. Then there's the all time biggest douche move, Ozzy's wife having the original bass and drums re-recorded on Ozzy's first two solo albums because she wanted to cheat the original players out of royalty money.

Tyler Durden

#19 Post by Tyler Durden » Tue Oct 25, 2011 2:49 pm

Pandemonium wrote:Hardly surprising when you consider who's running the show.

Not nearly as offensive (to fans) as when Eddie Van Halen had the web master of the band's site photoshop Eddie's then-16 year old son (who wasn't even born when the album was recorded) onto the original debut album's cover art in the site's discography section in place of original bass player Michael Anthony. Then there's the all time biggest douche move, Ozzy's wife having the original bass and drums re-recorded on Ozzy's first two solo albums because she wanted to cheat the original players out of royalty money.
I'm familiar with what happened with the Ozzy albums (brutal), but I didn't know about the Van Halen thing (also brutal). Just wait 'til Perry pulls some shit like that. Rhino finally releases remasters of NS and Ritual with Chris Chaney overdubs. :scared:

tcrock

#20 Post by tcrock » Tue Oct 25, 2011 2:50 pm

Tyler Durden wrote:
tcrock wrote:
Tyler Durden wrote:

If you as genuinely offended by that Sonny interview as you sound, I can't help you.

I don't need your help :wink: not offended at all, not at all sure where you got that....just obvious the guy has human emotions, and they were evident in his answers.....he doesn't seem to me to be this robot who lives by such a strict code of morals and integrity that some of you like to make him out to be, ya know so "above that type of thing". what I saw was a guy that was a little hurt and/or pissed and looking to vent a little to a sympathetic audience, human nature.

Tyler Durden

#21 Post by Tyler Durden » Tue Oct 25, 2011 2:54 pm

tcrock wrote:
Tyler Durden wrote:
tcrock wrote:
Tyler Durden wrote:

I don't need your help :wink: not offended at all, not at all sure where you got that....just obvious the guy has human emotions, and they were evident in his answers.....he doesn't seem to me to be this robot who lives by such a strict code of morals and integrity that some of you like to make him out to be, ya know so "above that type of thing". what I saw was a guy that was a little hurt and/or pissed and looking to vent a little to a sympathetic audience, human nature.
I agree. And it was to be expected. It was a normal reaction. But to say that Eric would veto them playing old songs if he could is another story. It just doesn't seem like something he would do.

Pandemonium

#22 Post by Pandemonium » Tue Oct 25, 2011 4:28 pm

tcrock wrote:just obvious the guy has human emotions, and they were evident in his answers.....he (Eric) doesn't seem to me to be this robot who lives by such a strict code of morals and integrity that some of you like to make him out to be, ya know so "above that type of thing". what I saw was a guy that was a little hurt and/or pissed and looking to vent a little to a sympathetic audience, human nature.
Nobody is implying Eric lives under any sort of strict moral code or whatever. He does seem to have a more honest, straightforward view of his time in the band and how the other guys relate than Perk, Dave and especially Perry. Much of which has been backed up by other insider accounts including Dave. If you want to criticize Eric, slam him for agreeing to do the NINJA tour and Festival dates even though it was already clear that it wasn't going to work between him and Perry when the Reznor sessions fell apart - something Eric himself lamented in the Sonny interview.

Kajicat

#23 Post by Kajicat » Tue Oct 25, 2011 4:51 pm

creep wrote:no wonder they cut him out with that ugly striped shirt on.

i wonder who makes the decision to cut him out?
Looks like Eric borrowed Dave's striped shirt for the photo! As for who made the decision to cut him out...I dunno could be Perry, could be the webmaster of their Facebook page...who knows.

I don't really care that they cut him out. Kinda sucks for Eric I guess, if he even cares which I highly doubt he would...but it's not like you're going to see Eric playing at the next Jane's show you go to, or hear him on "Broken People", which was the lyric quote that picture went with on Facebook. But then again why use an old photo then? So many questions which never will be answered... :blah:

JOEinPHX

#24 Post by JOEinPHX » Tue Oct 25, 2011 5:21 pm

Pandemonium wrote: If you want to criticize Eric, slam him for agreeing to do the NINJA tour and Festival dates even though it was already clear that it wasn't going to work between him and Perry when the Reznor sessions fell apart - something Eric himself lamented in the Sonny interview.
i don't think he realized Perry was going to ruin things as bad as he did though.

Even Trent has shit talked the way the Jane's business was handled. He wanted to do a big combo set featuring members of both bands, before Jane's went on, and Perry vetoed it.

Kind of bullshit that Trent graciously have a much smaller band the headlining slot on his own farewell tour, and then that band turned around and told him to fuck off with his creative ideas for the tour.

What a dick move. Probably after the contracts had already been signed too.

tcrock

#25 Post by tcrock » Wed Oct 26, 2011 2:15 pm

Pandemonium wrote:
tcrock wrote:just obvious the guy has human emotions, and they were evident in his answers.....he (Eric) doesn't seem to me to be this robot who lives by such a strict code of morals and integrity that some of you like to make him out to be, ya know so "above that type of thing". what I saw was a guy that was a little hurt and/or pissed and looking to vent a little to a sympathetic audience, human nature.
Nobody is implying Eric lives under any sort of strict moral code or whatever. He does seem to have a more honest, straightforward view of his time in the band and how the other guys relate than Perk, Dave and especially Perry. Much of which has been backed up by other insider accounts including Dave. If you want to criticize Eric, slam him for agreeing to do the NINJA tour and Festival dates even though it was already clear that it wasn't going to work between him and Perry when the Reznor sessions fell apart - something Eric himself lamented in the Sonny interview.

i don't want to criticize him for anything really......I think I may have taken tyler's comments out of context a tad as I think he was referring to the song veto issue specifically, which i agree, eric wouldn't do... but it just makes me a little nuts sometimes when people say things like they believe Eric is above this or that because it seems like a very common refrain. The old cliche there are 2 sides to every story and the truth is in the middle somewhere applies here at least to me. I think far too many took Eric's side as gospel and ran with it, I also believe that too many vilify Perry at every turn, and don't give enough credit to Dave and Perkins for being their own men.

but :banghead:

this has all been covered ......it's just too quiet around here when no one is arguing :bigrin: