Jane's on Letterman

Discussion regarding Jane's Addiction news and associated projects
Tyler Durden

Re: Jane's on Letterman

#81 Post by Tyler Durden » Thu Oct 27, 2011 10:39 am

Kajicat wrote:
Tyler Durden wrote:When they killed it in '91, it should have remained dead....
I think Relapse proved there was still life in Jane's in 1997. Plus, it was already awesome with Flea on board but it would have been even better had Eric decided he wanted to do the reunion. If Jane's didn't break up in '91 we could have had one of two more excellent albums after Ritual. I can only dream...but yeah I agree that Jane's should not be a family band, but a youthful experience. Wifey on stage is a terrible move. Kids watching from the side ain't so bad: Flea has been doing that for a long time and it doesn't stop him from getting naked or acting crazy. I even thought it was pretty cool during the OHM era when he wrote "Hi Clara" on his body.
Sure...but the RHCP always seemed like caricatures to begin with...so them going through the motions in front of their kids, etc doesn't seem like that big of a deal. They never reached the heights of the original Jane's sacred artistry and aesthetic. Again, Jane's wasn't built to last, so to speak.

guysmiley

#82 Post by guysmiley » Thu Oct 27, 2011 11:01 am

I'm back from a few days off. Fuck this. Yes there are harmonizers out there and good ones. the back track and drum pads are over kill. Can we get ride of the dancers already? You guys are in you 40's and 50's. This is pure LA strip shit, and I'm sick of it. Can you just age already. Maybe like Neil young or Mike Watt? I hate this band now, I only check this site out of habit anymore. See you all and a few days.

Kajicat

#83 Post by Kajicat » Thu Oct 27, 2011 12:52 pm

Tyler Durden wrote:Sure...but the RHCP always seemed like caricatures to begin with...

Tyler Durden

#84 Post by Tyler Durden » Thu Oct 27, 2011 1:03 pm

Kajicat wrote:
Tyler Durden wrote:Sure...but the RHCP always seemed like caricatures to begin with...

Exactly.

That last one is priceless. I genuinely felt bad for the host. :lol:

sonny

#85 Post by sonny » Thu Oct 27, 2011 1:10 pm

Kajicat wrote:

I dig the silver coat :lolol:

From the start of the performance I was like meh but about halfway through I really started to enjoy it, and I thought the ending was pretty climactic. A good showing on national TV for them. Looks good. You can really appreciate Perky's playing on this song when you're able to see it along with hearing it, especially his hi-hat work...which makes me wonder if he really wasn't playing nearly as boring as we thought he did on TGEA. It would be cool to see more of the songs live to see what really goes into Perk and Dave's parts.

Perry is reeeeeally lookin' old at the 2:54 mark :hehe: love the guy though keep rockin' it, we all get old one day...we all float down here.
good song. perry's vocals in the verses and chorus are so dramatically different. i realize there's a backing track, but it just doesn't sound right. i think he was off sync with the backing vocals a few times to which made for a weird sound.

this song and irresistible force clearly have choruses that are too big vocally for perry to pull off. considering how much jane's addiction is a live band i would've avoided such huge choruses that couldn't be reproduced live.

as i said in my review, many of the new songs, good or bad, are gonna be tough to put next to the old songs. most of the old songs were worked out live, even the strays songs were worked out live, before taking them into the studio and i think it's clear for this band, they should take time to flesh out songs live or in rehearsal before piecing them together in a studio.

CaseyContrarian

#86 Post by CaseyContrarian » Thu Oct 27, 2011 5:40 pm

Um, did you just quote Pennywise the Clown, from It?

Kajicat wrote:

I dig the silver coat :lolol:

From the start of the performance I was like meh but about halfway through I really started to enjoy it, and I thought the ending was pretty climactic. A good showing on national TV for them. Looks good. You can really appreciate Perky's playing on this song when you're able to see it along with hearing it, especially his hi-hat work...which makes me wonder if he really wasn't playing nearly as boring as we thought he did on TGEA. It would be cool to see more of the songs live to see what really goes into Perk and Dave's parts.

Perry is reeeeeally lookin' old at the 2:54 mark :hehe: love the guy though keep rockin' it, we all get old one day...we all float down here.

Kajicat

#87 Post by Kajicat » Thu Oct 27, 2011 9:18 pm

Tyler Durden wrote:
Kajicat wrote:
Exactly.

That last one is priceless. I genuinely felt bad for the host. :lol:
Totally. I felt bad for the host and the female guest on the show who seemingly is about to be gang raped by RHCP. God I love those guys. :boobs:
CaseyContrarian wrote:Um, did you just quote Pennywise the Clown, from It?
:nod: Good catch.