Jane's on Letterman

Discussion regarding Jane's Addiction news and associated projects
Hype

Re: Jane's on Letterman

#41 Post by Hype » Tue Oct 25, 2011 2:19 pm

bman wrote:Chris showed some life during the live shows. What can you do..He's not an animated guy. As far as the performance it was good. I don't understand the rants on Perryz voice. Go back and listen to the 97 radio show from December LA radio. My God his voice is AWFUL on that boot. His voice has been hit or miss since the heyday. That's part of the deal. If you want perfection go listen to an opera singer you purists!!! :banghead:
I think my annoyance with Perry isn't that he's not a good singer in any objective sense (which is just true), but rather that he's taken to singing in a way that simply doesn't suit his voice. That's really the problem. I don't want a Perry Farrell vocal on a U2 track... Why would anyone want that?... It doesn't make any sense. Perry's voice was strained on the XXX record... but the rawness of it fit the songs, and he had a young man's energy. He still has shitloads of energy, but the beat-up vocals don't fit the songs they're writing these days, or the lyrics he's singing, or the vocal melodies he's trying to hit. He needs to chill the fuck out. Like Maynard did.

Pandemonium

#42 Post by Pandemonium » Tue Oct 25, 2011 2:31 pm

Jasper wrote:That backing track is overkill. I hate backing tracks, but if you're gonna have it, make it one or two voices, mixed low, not something that sounds like a small army mixed higher than everything else.

Has anybody ever heard of a chorus effect that will harmonize with the voice feeding into it, in real time? I haven't, but I'd like to see it. What about one that feeds to two or three different channels and each on has it's own fx, like...maybe there's a flange on one, maybe the second is pitch shifted up an octave, etc.
Yeah, there's plenty of effects that can be used to "treat" Perry's vox live to get virtually the same layered, "chorus" effect his vocals have on the studio tracks for this last album. Ozzy's been using a ton of effects on his voice both in the studio and live since virtually day one of his career. But when the singer fucks up, it's often magnified running through all those effects.

It's one thing for Perry to have his big, old school vox effects box up there on stage and twist dials and punch buttons to add massive echo and flange n' shit on his vocals as he's singing. That's no different than a guitarist using an effects rack and foot switches - the thing is, the audience *sees* the musician actually doing all that cool looking shit, there's no trickery or attempts to hide what's going on and of course it adds spontaneity and drama to the performance. But when there's pre-recorded tracks, especially vocals (or worse, off-stage, hidden singers), that's just bullshit and the audience picks up on that right away.

Perry *is* using backing vox at times and I honestly didn't think he was doing so to the extent he was on Underground live 'til I saw the Letterman clip. That's pretty pathetic to see and I can guarantee that sooner or later relying on pre-recorded vox to that degree is gonna bite him on the ass when his sample file locks up when he hits that foot switch.

Tyler Durden

#43 Post by Tyler Durden » Tue Oct 25, 2011 2:34 pm

I just don't like the person Perry has become (since he met Etty, really). When I hear him sing the old songs now, they don't ring true; it's a put-on...a "show". The same can be applied for the new songs and their content ("I'll never give up the underground"...really?). If I close my eyes and imagine Perry from 1990 singing, then it's acceptable...but at the end of the day, you know it's just him going through the motions because it's the thing that made him famous to begin with. In the mid to late 90s, he was still totally convincing when he sang Jane's material. Now it's just a schtick (well, since the '01 reunion). If people still like the live show and the new album, yay for them...but I just can't get past the phoniness of it all.

Artemis

#44 Post by Artemis » Tue Oct 25, 2011 4:25 pm

Romeo wrote:Perry sounded awful. The echo on TV killed me & he looked like a gigantic baked potato in that trench coat.
:lol:

I love the trench coat! I think he looks pretty cool in that outfit. 9/10 for style.

Kajicat

#45 Post by Kajicat » Tue Oct 25, 2011 5:03 pm

Tyler Durden wrote:I just don't like the person Perry has become (since he met Etty, really). When I hear him sing the old songs now, they don't ring true; it's a put-on...a "show". The same can be applied for the new songs and their content ("I'll never give up the underground"...really?). If I close my eyes and imagine Perry from 1990 singing, then it's acceptable...but at the end of the day, you know it's just him going through the motions because it's the thing that made him famous to begin with. In the mid to late 90s, he was still totally convincing when he sang Jane's material. Now it's just a schtick (well, since the '01 reunion). If people still like the live show and the new album, yay for them...but I just can't get past the phoniness of it all.
I've said the same thing before. If you close your eyes and imagine late 80's or early 90's Perry while listening to Strays or TGEA it somehow makes the music so much better :lolol: For TGEA if I imagine Perry floating in space with dreads the songs become immensely better to me. I know, it sounds ridiculous. Hardcore fans have a lot of problems with his aesthetics nowadays, as they're not at all as they use to be.

Sometimes I think if Perry just decided to grow his dreads back everyone would cut the guy a TON of slack for is shortcomings. I doubt people would rag on him as much for drinking expensive wine, having a posh hot wife, his aging vocals, his newest cover art, etc. :neutral:

CaseyContrarian

#46 Post by CaseyContrarian » Tue Oct 25, 2011 5:08 pm

A posh hot wife, eh?

You have truly lost it, my good sir. :lol:

JOEinPHX

#47 Post by JOEinPHX » Tue Oct 25, 2011 5:09 pm

Romeo wrote:we got a brick with a bass...
can we get a mic with this?

Tyler Durden

#48 Post by Tyler Durden » Tue Oct 25, 2011 5:32 pm

Kajicat wrote:
Tyler Durden wrote:I just don't like the person Perry has become (since he met Etty, really). When I hear him sing the old songs now, they don't ring true; it's a put-on...a "show". The same can be applied for the new songs and their content ("I'll never give up the underground"...really?). If I close my eyes and imagine Perry from 1990 singing, then it's acceptable...but at the end of the day, you know it's just him going through the motions because it's the thing that made him famous to begin with. In the mid to late 90s, he was still totally convincing when he sang Jane's material. Now it's just a schtick (well, since the '01 reunion). If people still like the live show and the new album, yay for them...but I just can't get past the phoniness of it all.
I've said the same thing before. If you close your eyes and imagine late 80's or early 90's Perry while listening to Strays or TGEA it somehow makes the music so much better :lolol: For TGEA if I imagine Perry floating in space with dreads the songs become immensely better to me. I know, it sounds ridiculous. Hardcore fans have a lot of problems with his aesthetics nowadays, as they're not at all as they use to be.

Sometimes I think if Perry just decided to grow his dreads back everyone would cut the guy a TON of slack for is shortcomings. I doubt people would rag on him as much for drinking expensive wine, having a posh hot wife, his aging vocals, his newest cover art, etc. :neutral:
That being said, when Perry had "wacky" hair and all that during the Relapse tour, I thought he look retarded; it's a good thing he had the excuse of being fucked out of his mind.

Artemis

#49 Post by Artemis » Tue Oct 25, 2011 5:53 pm

Tyler Durden wrote:
Kajicat wrote:

That being said, when Perry had "wacky" hair and all that during the Relapse tour, I thought he look retarded; it's a good thing he had the excuse of being fucked out of his mind.
ahem! :essence:

Kajicat

#50 Post by Kajicat » Tue Oct 25, 2011 6:43 pm

CaseyContrarian wrote:A posh hot wife, eh?

I meant posh as in elegant/upper class. And yes, the average dude would think she is "hot".
Tyler Durden wrote:
Kajicat wrote:

Funny you see it that way, that was actually my favorite version of Perry EVER. I loved his hair and outfits during the Relapse Tour. Totally psychedelic and just crazy. I wish Perry looked like that all the time! :thumb:

Romeo

#51 Post by Romeo » Tue Oct 25, 2011 6:44 pm

Artemis wrote:
Romeo wrote:Perry sounded awful. The echo on TV killed me & he looked like a gigantic baked potato in that trench coat.

I love the trench coat! I think he looks pretty cool in that outfit. 9/10 for style.
I'm not listening to you. You don't like flip flops
:wink:

Kajicat

#52 Post by Kajicat » Tue Oct 25, 2011 6:51 pm

I just realized Perry took both earpieces out at the 0:12 mark. You can see them hanging around his neck for awhile too. Maybe that's why he wasn't exactly on cue with the backing vocals?

CaseyContrarian

#53 Post by CaseyContrarian » Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:02 pm

I repeat: a posh hot wife, eh?
Kajicat wrote:

I meant posh as in elegant/upper class. And yes, the average dude would think she is "hot".
Tyler Durden wrote:
Kajicat wrote:

Funny you see it that way, that was actually my favorite version of Perry EVER. I loved his hair and outfits during the Relapse Tour. Totally psychedelic and just crazy. I wish Perry looked like that all the time! :thumb:

Tyler Durden

#54 Post by Tyler Durden » Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:07 pm

Artemis wrote:
Tyler Durden wrote:
Kajicat wrote:

ahem! :essence:
Sorry...he looked MENTALLY RETARDED. And before anyone goes PC on my ass, Mental Retardation is a text book term and is in the DSM-IV. :know:

AdmitI

#55 Post by AdmitI » Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:21 pm

Kajicat wrote:

Tyler Durden wrote:
Kajicat wrote:

I agree 100%... that's my favorite version of Perry too...

trevor ayer

#56 Post by trevor ayer » Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:53 pm

Kajicat wrote:

did u just say that you go to your happy place to get over how traumatizingly bad the new record is?

Kajicat

#57 Post by Kajicat » Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:13 pm

CaseyContrarian wrote:I repeat: a posh hot wife, eh?
Yes. I don't understand what is so unbelievable/confusing for you. Want more commas or something? Here: A posh, hot wife.

And again: I meant posh as in elegant/upper class. And yes, the average dude would think she is "hot".

Let me know if you still need more clarification. :bigrin:
trevor ayer wrote:
Kajicat wrote:

did u just say that you go to your happy place to get over how traumatizingly bad the new record is?
Been doing so since 2003 :nod:

Jasper

#58 Post by Jasper » Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:58 pm

Kajicat wrote:I meant posh as in elegant/upper class.
:confused: :hs:

My good man, it does appear that you have broken loose of your moorings.

JOEinPHX

#59 Post by JOEinPHX » Wed Oct 26, 2011 12:27 am

yeah posh and upperclass aren't really accurate descriptions.

How about bottomfeeder and golddigger?

judah

#60 Post by judah » Wed Oct 26, 2011 5:32 am

Six7Six7 wrote:
Romeo wrote:we got a brick with a bass...
can we get a mic with this?

am i the only one that found this hilarious!?

trevor ayer

#61 Post by trevor ayer » Wed Oct 26, 2011 6:05 am

no way that totally cracked me up .. still waiting for the remix with ettys famous leg lift rubbing up against the tinfoil potato

Kajicat

#62 Post by Kajicat » Wed Oct 26, 2011 9:47 am

Fuck I dunno I guess I'm just saying she likes the nicer things in life, and everyone would rather have Perry date some chick who is more artsy and doesn't care about staying in the nicest hotels, being on camera, and having a reality tv show. She's the exact opposite of Casey.

Just Googled "posh definition" and this first came up:

Adjective:
Elegant or stylishly luxurious.
Noun:
The quality or state of being elegant, stylish, or upper class.
Synonyms:
elegant - chic - stylish - swell - swanky

I'm pretty sure Etty tries to be all of those things, to her best abilities, whether she actually is or not, and whether Perry has deep enough pockets for it...she sure wants to portray herself that way and prefers that lifestyle. She pretends to be high-society even if she isn't. She wears highly fashionable brand name clothing, only eats and drinks the best cuisine...she's chic as all Hell. Anyways, if Perry grew his dreads back I think people would seriously cut him more slack for dating this woman. Dreads would just scream Jane's 1.0

But yeah "bottom feeder" and "gold digger" work better.

Sorry for the confusion everyone :conf:

CaseyContrarian

#63 Post by CaseyContrarian » Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:35 am

Great, now let's talk about why she's not hot.

KIDDING.

drwintercreeper

#64 Post by drwintercreeper » Wed Oct 26, 2011 1:15 pm

at 2:40, perry looks like he's about to puke all over his shiny coat. either he caught a glimpse of himself in the monitor or he ate some bad fish.

great song.... not so great performance.

Tyler Durden

#65 Post by Tyler Durden » Wed Oct 26, 2011 1:24 pm

My very favourite Perry Farrell facial expression of all time is in this video at 1:28. He looks like:

A) He's straining his vocal cords in order to hit a note and it hurts real bad.
B) He has bad gas and a serious intestinal blockage.
C) He's having a temporary moment of clarity and realizing just how much this song sucks ass.

P.S. It's so obvious there is a vocal backing track.