Jane's on Letterman

Discussion regarding Jane's Addiction news and associated projects
leviticus

Jane's on Letterman

#1 Post by leviticus » Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:41 pm

Perry always looks so uncomfortable on TV. His silver trenchcoat was cool in an Epcot Center/ Catain EO way. The song was eh. Why the backing chorus??

CaseyContrarian

Re: Jane's on Letterman

#2 Post by CaseyContrarian » Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:44 pm

leviticus wrote:Perry always looks so uncomfortable on TV. His silver trenchcoat was cool in an Epcot Center/ Catain EO way. The song was eh. Why the backing chorus??
Because he can't hit the notes. You notice in the verses that he doesn't even try to approximate the melody from the recorded track. He needs some serious vocal coaching. Look at what Steve Tyler is capable of at his age. That comes from training. The dude's pipes were shot in the '70s and most of the '80s. Perry could get some of that power and range back if he put in a little effort.

Captain EO is so true!

Jasper

#3 Post by Jasper » Mon Oct 24, 2011 10:28 pm

CaseyContrarian wrote:
leviticus wrote:Perry always looks so uncomfortable on TV. His silver trenchcoat was cool in an Epcot Center/ Catain EO way. The song was eh. Why the backing chorus??
Because he can't hit the notes. You notice in the verses that he doesn't even try to approximate the melody from the recorded track. He needs some serious vocal coaching. Look at what Steve Tyler is capable of at his age. That comes from training. The dude's pipes were shot in the '70s and most of the '80s. Perry could get some of that power and range back if he put in a little effort.
Amen to that. Honestly, I'm a hair away from agitating for vocal surgery.

AdmitI

#4 Post by AdmitI » Mon Oct 24, 2011 10:40 pm

CaseyContrarian wrote:

Captain EO is so true!
It's also because Tyler had surgery on his vocal cords to fix the problem...

Kajicat

#5 Post by Kajicat » Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:03 pm

I dig the silver coat :lolol:

From the start of the performance I was like meh but about halfway through I really started to enjoy it, and I thought the ending was pretty climactic. A good showing on national TV for them. Looks good. You can really appreciate Perky's playing on this song when you're able to see it along with hearing it, especially his hi-hat work...which makes me wonder if he really wasn't playing nearly as boring as we thought he did on TGEA. It would be cool to see more of the songs live to see what really goes into Perk and Dave's parts.

Perry is reeeeeally lookin' old at the 2:54 mark :hehe: love the guy though keep rockin' it, we all get old one day...we all float down here.

kv

#6 Post by kv » Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:10 pm

sweet more etty!!! :jasper:

Deconstruction

#7 Post by Deconstruction » Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:14 pm

Pathetic performance by Perry with the blatant backing track. Have they performed a new song live without a backing track? It's a shame because Underground is such a great song.

Jasper

#8 Post by Jasper » Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:30 pm

That backing track is overkill. I hate backing tracks, but if you're gonna have it, make it one or two voices, mixed low, not something that sounds like a small army mixed higher than everything else.

Has anybody ever heard of a chorus effect that will harmonize with the voice feeding into it, in real time? I haven't, but I'd like to see it. What about one that feeds to two or three different channels and each on has it's own fx, like...maybe there's a flange on one, maybe the second is pitch shifted up an octave, etc.

How come Perry can't get his boys to spruce up that sweet fx unit and come up with some serious solutions to these problems? I understand that there may be some issues with doing it completely straight. Let's figure out something that isn't lame. Unless there was an orchestra pit full of Perry clones down in front of the band, there was something seriously wrong there. Sapped the urgency and life right out what was an otherwise good performance.

Perry, I love you. Get your head out of your ass and listen to the no men for once. I'm telling you, no, that does not work. I'm in your corner. Work with me on this one.

Kajicat

#9 Post by Kajicat » Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:47 pm

A lot has changed in the last 8 years. His voice was still quite fantastic during the Strays era.

:cona:

Jasper

#10 Post by Jasper » Tue Oct 25, 2011 12:04 am

Kajicat wrote:A lot has changed in the last 8 years. His voice was still quite fantastic during the Strays era.
Say what you want about Strays, or even Perry's singing style during that period, but his vox was very strong.

I'm not gonna blame Perry for aging, but I do think he could be doing more to preserve and strengthen his voice, and he could be making more clever use of the technology he's using to help him. This is just some good, old-fashioned constructive criticism. :noclue:

Warped

#11 Post by Warped » Tue Oct 25, 2011 12:05 am

Kajicat wrote:

I dig the silver coat :lolol:

From the start of the performance I was like meh but about halfway through I really started to enjoy it, and I thought the ending was pretty climactic. A good showing on national TV for them. Looks good. You can really appreciate Perky's playing on this song when you're able to see it along with hearing it, especially his hi-hat work...which makes me wonder if he really wasn't playing nearly as boring as we thought he did on TGEA. It would be cool to see more of the songs live to see what really goes into Perk and Dave's parts.

Perry is reeeeeally lookin' old at the 2:54 mark :hehe: love the guy though keep rockin' it, we all get old one day...we all float down here.
Same here. Overall a good performance.

Oh and i really dig the accoustic Just because (Perry sounds great.!) like it so much more than the album version. Glad Dave got rid of those arm sleeve things btw.... :lol:

pandarve666

#12 Post by pandarve666 » Tue Oct 25, 2011 2:18 am

Kajicat wrote:A lot has changed in the last 8 years. His voice was still quite fantastic during the Strays era.

:cona:
I've never seen this before and I think it's a great version. A lot better than the album version anyway.

Artemis

#13 Post by Artemis » Tue Oct 25, 2011 3:28 am

in addition to age,maybe all that wine he drinks affects the voice?? i am just guessing... :noclue:

cursed male

#14 Post by cursed male » Tue Oct 25, 2011 3:31 am

kv wrote:sweet more etty!!! :jasper:
Etty should seriously stay the fuck away from stage at least when JA's performing. Their mom and pop routine is painfully embarrassing... :no:

Larry B.

#15 Post by Larry B. » Tue Oct 25, 2011 4:14 am

Jasper wrote:That backing track is overkill. I hate backing tracks, but if you're gonna have it, make it one or two voices, mixed low, not something that sounds like a small army mixed higher than everything else.

Has anybody ever heard of a chorus effect that will harmonize with the voice feeding into it, in real time? I haven't, but I'd like to see it. What about one that feeds to two or three different channels and each on has it's own fx, like...maybe there's a flange on one, maybe the second is pitch shifted up an octave, etc.

How come Perry can't get his boys to spruce up that sweet fx unit and come up with some serious solutions to these problems? I understand that there may be some issues with doing it completely straight. Let's figure out something that isn't lame. Unless there was an orchestra pit full of Perry clones down in front of the band, there was something seriously wrong there. Sapped the urgency and life right out what was an otherwise good performance.

Perry, I love you. Get your head out of your ass and listen to the no men for once. I'm telling you, no, that does not work. I'm in your corner. Work with me on this one.
The thing is, for any of those possible solutions to work Perry needs to be singing in key, which is never the case. I'm not sure if auto-tuning it would work, since auto-tune usually either tends to the note closer to what is being sung (which could be a wrong note) and/or will make it sound robotic, which is the last thing Jane's needs.

Perry's live voice's range is worryingly limited, and the only possible solution I see is for him to actually train his voice with a professional, which would probably take too much time out of his busy life.

Easton

#16 Post by Easton » Tue Oct 25, 2011 4:56 am

About those backing tracks, wouldn't it look better (and less embarrassing probably) if Dave and Chris would do backing vocals?

trevor ayer

#17 Post by trevor ayer » Tue Oct 25, 2011 6:21 am

I am so glad that Bea Arthur finally joined the band .. you can't even tell perry is missing with those great backing trax on loan from katy perry .. the hair the coat .. Bea Arthur brings a touch of class sorely missing from janes these days .. its all just a great addition to the look and feel of my favorite band .. ps .. underground sucks .. its a crappy song and as boring as the strays record .. sounds nothing like janes addiction and if this performance doesn't drive that point home than it really does not matter what janes puts out .. u will lap it up cuz ur a janes bitch! .. this cd will tank .. not even the dumbest modern rock fan will lap this shit up .. i really sincerely wish perry would just drop dave and steve and just lip sync his crappy new solo album that dave and steve were hired to play on. or sincerely just let etty sing all the janes songs .. it would probably sound better .. that hearing aid is not helping perrys golden girls look either .. janes addiction .. an embarassment to rock n roll .. the rumours are true .. they really are dead .. they sold their soul on this one

bman

#18 Post by bman » Tue Oct 25, 2011 6:29 am

YOUR're nutz...Janes is an embarrassment to rock n roll!!! OK now I've heard it all. Go to a show will ya. They still fucking rock and Perry is STILL a great charismatic frontman. The Letterman performance was good. Better than Kimmel. I'd prefer massive Echo to the backing track but it is what it is. So be it. It's a killer song. :rockon:

blackula

#19 Post by blackula » Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:08 am

Not the best performance, but Perry's still got it. The dude was spot on at Irving Plaza last week.

Hokahey
Site Admin

#20 Post by Hokahey » Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:19 am

I was really embarrassed for them last night watching that. Perry couldn't get matched up with the backing track. It was really sad and put a damper on how much I've been enjoying that song knowing that it's a complete train wreck live.

At one point I thought "Is Perry sick with something?" How did his voice get so bad, so quick? It's completely shot.

tcrock

#21 Post by tcrock » Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:28 am

yeah the backing track is a bit much......but still love this song and this band..and digging the new album more and more each day. and yes the Irving shows last week help me ignore all the critics, and re kindled my love affair.

Romeo

#22 Post by Romeo » Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:18 am

Perry sounded awful. The echo on TV killed me & he looked like a gigantic baked potato in that trench coat.

Dave & Stephen were spot on :thumb:

lose the two hookers dancing that add nothing to the performance, nothing.

tcrock

#23 Post by tcrock » Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:23 am

Romeo wrote:Perry sounded awful. The echo on TV killed me & he looked like a gigantic baked potato in that trench coat.

Dave & Stephen were spot on :thumb:

lose the two hookers dancing that add nothing to the performance, nothing.

this is shocking review coming from you :wink:

Romeo

#24 Post by Romeo » Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:29 am

yea because I am the only person on ANR who thinks Perry is the weakest link :no:

crater

#25 Post by crater » Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:46 am

Romeo wrote: he looked like a gigantic baked potato in that trench coat.
I thought he looked more like a Cylon