NPR:Jane's Addiction: Breaking With A Turbulent Past

Discussion regarding Jane's Addiction news and associated projects
Artemis

NPR:Jane's Addiction: Breaking With A Turbulent Past

#1 Post by Artemis » Sun Oct 23, 2011 8:01 pm

I was just checking out the new Tom Waits on NPR and came across t his interview from today. I don't think it's been posted, if it has,please excuse the duplicate.

http://www.npr.org/2011/10/23/141620573 ... ulent-past

Kajicat

Re: NPR:Jane's Addiction: Breaking With A Turbulent Past

#2 Post by Kajicat » Sun Oct 23, 2011 10:41 pm

"I'm always trying to escape my past, to a degree," Farrell says. "My head's always in the future. I've been asked recently how I feel when I listen to the old material, and I tell people that I never listen to the old material."

I like that. I like it a lot.

Hokahey
Site Admin

#3 Post by Hokahey » Mon Oct 24, 2011 3:27 pm

Kajicat wrote:"I'm always trying to escape my past, to a degree," Farrell says. "My head's always in the future. I've been asked recently how I feel when I listen to the old material, and I tell people that I never listen to the old material."

Ouch. I don't like it all. I mean, it's good not to live in the past, but it's also good to understand what your impact was and what meant so much to people.

creep
Site Admin

#4 Post by creep » Mon Oct 24, 2011 3:29 pm

hokahey wrote:
Kajicat wrote:"I'm always trying to escape my past, to a degree," Farrell says. "My head's always in the future. I've been asked recently how I feel when I listen to the old material, and I tell people that I never listen to the old material."

Ouch. I don't like it all. I mean, it's good not to live in the past, but it's also good to understand what your impact was and what meant so much to people.
will someone please tell perry that 90% of his live show is old material.

Kajicat

#5 Post by Kajicat » Mon Oct 24, 2011 5:00 pm

hokahey wrote:

Farrell says he doesn't spend much time worrying about his band's legacy. ..."I don't really think much about what my wake is."

But at the same time the article mentions:
But he is proud, he says, of the way his music managed to break through in the early '90s. "At that time, it was a very stale scene that we were faced with. It was basically hair metal. And it was arena rock — but the arena rock had gotten very stale as far as I was concerned," he says. "We brought the alternative to that."

...so he understands the impact Jane's made. He just prefers not to bask in it, which is actually quite unlike his usual self I'd say :lol:

I still like it.

tcrock

#6 Post by tcrock » Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:42 am

creep wrote:
hokahey wrote:

not to split hairs, but i'd think "listening" to it and performing it are 2 different activities.

creep
Site Admin

#7 Post by creep » Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:55 am

tcrock wrote:
creep wrote:
hokahey wrote:

not to split hairs, but i'd think "listening" to it and performing it are 2 different activities.
sure they are but by doing this is perry really escaping the past? don't get me wrong when i saw them last month i would have been pissed if 90% of the live show was new material....it just seemed like an odd thing for him to say.

tcrock

#8 Post by tcrock » Tue Oct 25, 2011 12:11 pm

creep wrote:
tcrock wrote:
creep wrote:
hokahey wrote:

sure they are but by doing this is perry really escaping the past? don't get me wrong when i saw them last month i would have been pissed if 90% of the live show was new material....it just seemed like an odd thing for him to say.

let me join the cynical bunch and say.....etty doesn't let him :lol: (listen to the old stuff that is) I hear what your saying though..harping too much on escaping his past while playing old material does come across a bit hypocritical. If he's saying he doesn't thow ritual on every now and then just for a listen, i think I get that.